Second Challenge: Into the Woods

e0verlord

Ringing metal, striking blows, and battle cries filled her senses as she followed the movement of feet striking the tiled floor. She forced herself into motion. One step. Another. Then the next. Fleeing encouraged her heartbeat to accelerate. She could feel it in her ears. She felt her vision clear with each new step. Her bare feet told her of the change from stone to road. Then from road a field. Her eyes translated images from the colors. Forests. Tents in the afar distance. Structures of stone. Many different paths diverged from the one they followed. A glance behind showed a kind of chapel or castle too far away to make the details of.

"Rehua, was it?" The rallying voice drew her attention. 

She felt her eyes finally focus, and locked eyes with a stranger. This one stood confidently, trusted by the others that were going their separate ways. The insignia that seemed clearest on their attire was colored green and sported a scimitar across a bow. Just beside them was another, who appeared strong. Perhaps it was the double axe-head crest she confidently wore that supported this impression. 

"We rally our forces by specialties." The warrior's brows furrowed as confusion overtook the starred elf's expression. "What is it that you do? What are you interests, then?"

"I.... Before I can consider that, I must to affirm who I am and what my weaknesses are." Rehua looked between the helpful individuals who she felt the most gratitude for, especially concerning the challenge of escaping the prison. Once, she had been in motion, comfortable just running and putting herself onto paths that she could follow forever. She remembered joyful seasons practicing for war under the tutelage of monks and students of combat. "Are there shamans among you? Wisefolk?"

"You might be interested in the druid camp." The ranger gestured to the path that led into the forest. "Follow that path deep into the forest. If you find they are not able to help you, you can follow the path back to find another guild. Wherever you find your best fit, that is where you belong."

Rehua looked between the two, who to this point, she trusted as friends. Inasmuch as their encouragement had been instrumental to her success, they deserved her respect. "And.... will they accept me?"

"Go and see for yourself." The warrior smirked. "Though, if you change your mind, I highly approve of anything with a sword!"

Rehua reached for her side. She had not considered that she had been trapped with the weapon. As she looked, she felt the curved blade was secure against her side and still wrapped into her attire. A moment to inspect the blade revealed that it was still in good condition. Perhaps this tool would continue to be of assistance to her as she warred against her shadow. With a word of thanks to the ambassadors who had accompanied her, she made her way into the woods. Dark though it would undoubtedly be, she wished to see for herself if they continued to seek truth, facilitate healing, and if they considered the matters of the mind and soul as they had so long ago. Supposing, of course, they wanted to be found. Even if that were not the case.... did she not venture forth for her own healing?

-- -- -- -- --

For this five week challenge, I humbly ask to join the druids as I focus my study on meditation, mindfulness, and also adding a mindful aspect to what I eat.

Main Goal:

Lose fat via mindful and intentional eating. I wish to continue increasing my daily movement, keeping ten to fifteen minutes of being out and about or on a treadmill where that is impossible. I also wish to begin practicing tai-chi, which I hope will improve my flexibility and therefore, my ability to move and feel at peace with myself. While these things all attend to my body, I will not neglect my mind, as I will include five to ten minutes of time to meditate, where I hope to improve my ability to direct my mind to the focus of my choice.

Fitness:

• Daily walk for ten minutes to an hour. (Continued from Previous Challenge)
  • Tai Chi - Youtube led, book supported. 5-10 minutes daily
  • In bed by 11:30pm every night.

Diet:

• Breakfast every day - Preferably within a half hour of rising.
  • One Vegetable/Fruit at Every Meal (Continued from Previous Challenge)

LevelUpYourLife

And so... with all of that said..... Here I go!

wINbEbqo0WovE5vBuoJ30MuatYxrJpmGyyuD5NkL

• Like 1

Gamertag: e0verlord || Alter Ego: Rehua Syraha: The Conquering Star
Half-Elf (Star)

Str: 8 || Int: 15 || Wis: 15 || Dex: 13 || Con: 14 || Chr: 18
Challenges: {|| 1 | 2 | 3 ||}

Awww ... bats 😍🤩

Hello and welcome! 

• Like 1

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

The man was threading the forest ground with light but determined steps. His senses were alert, keepin him aware of the rocks and roots on the path before him as well as the movements of the animals, when they happened to wander around, minding their own business. That wasn't all, though. Something inside of him told him to always keep wary, that danger could spring from anywhere and that people with warring intents may show up anytime. That his own experience was that everybody tries to do good and most people harbor a friendly stance didn't change a thing to that.

The wideness of his eyes and the shape of his smile expressed marvel, though one who would care to see it would notice the folds at their sides as a sign of the inner fight he was waging. Jean was a druid, alright, but he was a battered one. To him, life was mostly a series of fights where turmoil and chaos are the default state and only careful progression could lead to the clarity of mind that nourished calmness and fulfillment.

He carried a single javelin on his back. He used to fancy himself a ranger. Truth be known, the weapon was more useful laced where it was than it had ever been in his hand. It was a focus for his mind, a reminder that whatever happened, he was there, able to deal with it. The world wasn't such a dangerous place as he liked to imagine. While his mind was battling with the turmoil, his eyes caught glance of a woman. Barefooted. Armed with a scimitar. She could have been a ranger. She could have been a druid, like him. He was not startled and not afraid: he was ready. His face was harboring a smile.

"Ho there, dark one! Nice day for a stride in the forest, isn't it? What's bringing you in these calm..." he took up a stone near the path, revealing a swarm of bugs teeming under it "... yet agitated woods?"

---

Yay, more friends along the way! Welcome!

Also, yay! Story mode!

Also, also, yay! Tai-chi!

13 hours ago, e0verlord said:

which I hope will improve my flexibility

This, and balance, and overall strength (moving all those muscles around and keeping the knees flexed all the time did that to me) and peace of mind. Tai-chi is great! Which begs the question of why I've given up on it and that is, indeed, a very good question. I'm looking forward to read your adventures on this path.

And since I can't resist:

"I knew I'd start to fall again."

Knowing it is awesome, it means we can prepare ourselves not to give it any emotional value because, well, that's just the way of life for every one of us, no matter how strong we are: we fall, and we keep going.

"I'm such a screw up."

Wowowowowow, wait a minute! I'm falling all the time! Batman falls at least once per episode! Batman is not a screw up. It took me a long time to learn to differentiate between "failing is what I am living right now" and "I am a failure" but if I had to loose all my skills and keep only one of them, it'd be that one. This, to me, is the essence of the way of the Druid: we are not what we live.

So, yup, progress. Have fun along the way. :)

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

13 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Awww ... bats 😍🤩

Hello and welcome! 

Hello! Pleasure to meet you! :] Glad you like the picture. The creator of it drew these while inspired by conversations they had with themselves. And they're cute!

3 hours ago, Jean said:

I love story mode. Few things motivate me more than an interesting story. I want to make mine one too. :]
And this'll be my first step into Tai-Chi. I hope for the best with it and hope it will supplement my walks and Iaido.
(And now, to the story!)

-- -- -- -- --

A voice in the forest. She stopped and focused on the stranger. That he was armed with a javelin was quickly noted. He was prepared for conflict. Yet, there was not sternness in the expression. No. She saw a smile. Were these his woods? Her left hand rested on the hilt of her saya, finding it comfortable to grip the weapon. There might not be danger here, but could one ever be entirely certain? Besides, it was better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

It was fair to say that she sought solace so that she could be properly prepared for true danger and so she could rest more deeply. One could not always be ready to fight unless they had the wisdom to properly act. On the other hand, she was ready to admit that her senses were not as they used to be. 

"These are beautiful woods," she admitted, if cautiously. This stranger seemed at ease. She dared to approach and to see what he found under the stone. The residents of the forest, as it were, scrambling for new cover and shadows to hide under. "I am a stranger here, and heard this was where druids could be found. Do they still seek the improvement of their spirits and minds?"

• Like 2

Half-Elf (Star)

Time had been still for a moment. He liked those: not a thing moving and yet so much going on under the surface. The feeling of preparedness. He bathed and reveled in it. He could stand still for hours just marveling on the feeling that came with it: being ready. Those moments mattered more to him than when things actually happened, yet they had to if there were to be more of him feeling whole. The woman spoke, he replied.

"I can't speak for the others but if you're asking me, that we do. You bear the trappings of one who has wandered, bare and weathered, is that what you come searching here? The forest may act as a catalyst but what we find, we usually dig from inside of ourselves."

He paused, taking a deep, visible breath, if silent then slowly put the stone he had taken back where it belonged, letting the denizens of the forest get back to their hidden business.

"If improvement of the spirit and the mind is what you're searching, I'll bet it's what you'll find. I find myself that putting some focus on small physical things helps my meditation tremendously. Whatever happens, please, feel welcome here."

-- -- -- -- --

How are your goals going?

• Like 1

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

I love 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:00 AM, e0verlord said:

Main Goal:

Lose fat via mindful and intentional eating. I wish to continue increasing my daily movement, keeping ten to fifteen minutes of being out and about or on a treadmill where that is impossible. I also wish to begin practicing tai-chi, which I hope will improve my flexibility and therefore, my ability to move and feel at peace with myself. While these things all attend to my body, I will not neglect my mind, as I will include five to ten minutes of time to meditate, where I hope to improve my ability to direct my mind to the focus of my choice.

Fitness:

• Daily walk for ten minutes to an hour. (Continued from Previous Challenge)
  • Tai Chi - Youtube led, book supported. 5-10 minutes daily
  • In bed by 11:30pm every night.

Diet:

• Breakfast every day - Preferably within a half hour of rising.
  • One Vegetable/Fruit at Every Meal (Continued from Previous Challenge)

LevelUpYourLife

Love it!  Simple yet empowering.

I want to start incorpating Tai Chi in my morning, that Taiflow has a lot of videos! Thank you for sharing.

I have struggled with weight my whole life...  when I starting mindful eating and meditating,  I'm finally at a weight I am proud of and happy for.  

Good luck in finding that too because everyone should be happy in their own skin. 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:55 AM, Jean said:

How are your goals going?

Unfortunately, I'm not doing so well with my goals this time around. My sense of well-being took a hit this week, and I'm contesting head-to-head with my arch-rival Depression again. So.... It's going, but I've been shy of admitting my defeats, and so haven't been saying anything here. I have gotten better getting to sleep on time, which has felt great. About every other day, I've been going on a walk, which always feels great. I've been able to set aside time to meditate about three times in the past week. 
Unfortunately, I have botched breakfast, having only eaten one breakfast proper in the last week. And.. I'll start fresh starting today. 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, Butternut said:

I love 

Love it!  Simple yet empowering.

I want to start incorpating Tai Chi in my morning, that Taiflow has a lot of videos! Thank you for sharing.

I have struggled with weight my whole life...  when I starting mindful eating and meditating,  I'm finally at a weight I am proud of and happy for.  

Good luck in finding that too because everyone should be happy in their own skin. 

If nothing else, that is what I desire the most. To be happy and comfortable in my skin. Thank you very much for your support. :]

On 2/27/2020 at 10:07 PM, Tobbe said:

Hi e0verlord! A new face for me here in the Droid guild, how lovely! :) I've dabbled a bit in tai chi myself, but it wasn't something that stuck with me. Interested in seeing what you think of it though! Anything that focuses on both movement and breathing is very calming to me. Love that! :) 

Pleasure to meet you. Thank you for the introduction and I'll let you know what I think of Tai-Chi. :]

--- --- --- 

Perhaps that was the comfort she sought. The forest seemed a calm place, and from what she was hearing, this was still a place where a person could seek peace. If nothing else, it was a place to seek within themselves. Calmness, stillness, control. Health that would start within.

"Yes.... How long have you been among these woods?"  She relaxed the grip she had on the scabbard of her sword. She tried to calm her wayward thoughts. So many things felt alien and strange. Why shouldn't these changes? "What helps your meditation most?"

• Like 1

Half-Elf (Star)

27 minutes ago, e0verlord said:

Unfortunately, I'm not doing so well with my goals this time around. My sense of well-being took a hit this week, and I'm contesting head-to-head with my arch-rival Depression again. So.... It's going, but I've been shy of admitting my defeats, and so haven't been saying anything here

One thing I've learned is that there is a lot of progress in defeats too. The difference with victories is that it doesn't show until we get out of the darkness, where we get to bank it all at once. It requires faith, and hope, and holding on but a good part of life happens in turmoil and feelings of being overwhelmed, I feel.

That being said, what you write doesn't sound like defeats to me. It sure sounds like the chaos of battle, where it isn't clear whether we'll pass the night or not, but struggling isn't a defeat to me, it's a sign we're still at the steering wheel, riding the waves in the tempest. Keep on contesting head-to-head, that's how we win in the end.

27 minutes ago, e0verlord said:

And.. I'll start fresh starting today. 

Congrats! That being said, don't put too much pressure on your shoulders, the important part is keeping on keeping at it, not succeeding. Start fresh as many times as you need, adapt your goals as many times as you need, keep it simple, and then simpler. You'll get there.*

*There being whatever state you want your mind and/or life to be in. Peace, completeness, the feeling of being relaxed, whatever you're after.

• Thanks 1

Most definitely not defeat! I see steady work happening where you have the bandwidth to do so - keep at it! [emoji322]

• Like 2

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Keep doing what you can...and if you need a special opportunity for a fresh start, I have just the thing for you:

You've been caught in the "crossfire" of the Scouts Virtual Color Run!

image.png

It's just a little bit of light-hearted fun and a celebration of Spring.

If you want to "participate," here are some ideas for this week:

• For one exercise session this week, pull out the brightest version of clothing you might reasonably wear
  • Get into the spirit of the holiday by letting go of an old grudge or resentment, or by taking the opportunity to turn over a new leaf and make a fresh start on something
  • Enjoy the season...find an extra reason to spend a few minutes enjoying being outside
  • "Throw some color" on someone else...maybe spread some cheer, or do a good deed.
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

5 hours ago, Xena said:

Keep doing what you can...and if you need a special opportunity for a fresh start, I have just the thing for you:

You've been caught in the "crossfire" of the Scouts Virtual Color Run!

Thank you very much for the support. 
And as for the opportunity..... I do think I'll take up this opportunity. :]

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Half-Elf (Star)

I haven't been here as much as I'd liked but I'm glad to see you're keeping at it. Keep on keeping on, keep on rocking!

• Like 1