• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Skywalker

Skywalker Eat, Move, Sleep Repeat

10 year challenge!  Funnily enough I am putting together a 10 year retrospective look at the various trips and adventures I have done with a friend to collate for a birthday gift.  I'll do a 10 year retrospective in the mini (soon!)

So what's this challenge? 

I love it when you feel you are getting the same message from different sources at the time - the universe telling you something and I've had several of these recently.  My problem is that I'm good at podcasts, reading, researching but not doing.  I have made myself a resolution to take action on one of the key points in a podcast etc that resonates with me.  Here are my actionable resources:

Craig Harper has a podcast - The You Project and one particular episode is all about making long term change and the whole thing resonates with me so much that I'm committing to have this episode on repeat in my play list.  This is to keep this mindset front of mind.

Katy Bowman - the difference between movement and exercise - you tube

Eat, Move, Sleep - Small choices big changes.  I haven't actually read this book but this guide is the reason that  I just changed by challenge name and tweaked the format.  I am going to use some of the items from this challenge for mine.

Eat

Eat like a sensible person with a focus of food as fuel.  Focus on intentional eating.  Acknowledge the urges for emotional eating and report back on the state and the outcome.  Listen out for the story that I'm telling myself in regard to food and refocus that story towards the a future success story.

Move

Focus on movement over exercise.  Not that I'm not going to specifically exercise but I've always struggled with exercising without moving to a specific space.  I feel that Katy Bowman calls me out on this and I'm going to challenge myself to focus on more movement.  

Sleep

I need a lot of sleep and generally when I'm going to bed late is represents when I'm indulging in other non-helpful habits.  I also feel sick if I've had a few late nights.  Sleep is one of my superpowers but I've fallen off the wagon (bed??) of late

Repeat

Making these habits 'non-negotiable', part of my identity etc is the key to long term change.  No point doing them once.

How will I measure these?  I'm going to use the Eat. move, sleep 30 day challenge as the basis and report in on actions taken.  Some additional ideas:

Eat

Report in on emotional eating triggers and strategies that I used to overcome them.  Offer up the 'story' and be prepared to have the call of 'bullshit' if I'm making excuses.  Here I'm counting on some accountability from you guys.

The goals on the challenge sheet are more practical but I also want to dig in on barriers to change so expect some rambling from me on this point.

Move

Incorporate these movement based activities:

Aim for 10 hours of making 250 steps on my fitbit

Add in one yoga session AT HOME - why do I need to go somewhere special to do yoga?

Yard work is better than gym work - why outsource activity and have to compensate by going to gym - mow the lawn

Hang washing on the line

Look for other opportunities to move more in my daily life and report back on ideas/successes

Sleep

Set alarm for bed time and be accountable for making this a priority.  

So it's a bit vague but I"m going to report in with actions achieved to create a checklist of things done.

• Like 3

Thanks @WolfDreamer

I feel quite focused for this challenge.

Reporting in:

Eat - I had work birthday cheesecake today.  So the story that I'm telling myself is that there is about 10 work birthday cakes, which balances out less than one a month and I'm aiming to start eating in a way that is sustainable forever, so I can have a small slice of cheesecake.  If I look at the stories of those around me, some are very happy just to say no thanks.  Maybe I am feeling that not having the cake is disrespectful to the person celebrating their birthday and bring in a cake.   So overall I'm still happy with the story that I'm telling myself but I can see that I could change this story line.

Challenge:  Identify the healthiest elements of diets you have tried. Build them in to your lifestyle for good. 

This one is easy.  I have the salad and tuna or left over/soup lunches dialed in.  Today I didn't pack a lunch (due to sleep!) but still had a salad and tuna, just more creatively acquired.

Move - I was wanting to log 250 steps each hour for 10 hours on the fitbit.  I had this almost dialed in a while ago and now I realise that I'm not tuned in to the reminder buzz and I don't remember it going off.  I only hit 5 but when I compared to last week this was the most.  Pathetic, but somewhere to go.

Challenge:   Each morning, plan ahead to add activity to your daily routine - Yes, today I planned to do a 15 min yoga routine at home before bed/posting and this is done.

I also had a 20 minute walk at lunch which counts as movement.

Sleep - Last night I clocked 6 h 45 min which is very reasonable with a sleep score of 84 (I've no idea what this means).  I still struggled to get up in time and as a result was running late which is very unlike me and I don't want it to become a habit which is why I added it to the challenge.

Challenge:  Sleep longer tonight to do more tomorrow - I am going to bed now so should be asleep 30 minutes earlier than last night.  I also don't need to get up for work tomorrow so I might sleep in to see if I can make up any sleep debt.  Or I might get up early and move :)

• Like 2

I love cheesecake. I’d be totally happy with myself to have a small slice not-quite-once-a-month.

I was looking at your blog. Love all your photos and the trails! We’ve been trying to finish the Ridgeway (UK) for years... in little bits and pieces. (I think we’re paused on the all-day long walks until our Enting is big enough to walk with us, though). 

• Like 1

Well, I really fell off, but in my defence I've been sick.  A cold/flu (no NOT that one) and I've just been keeping my head above water.  I'm back at work today and so in that awful spot of having a weeks backlog to cope with while still feeling pretty shit.

Well, I can say that I haven't eaten much and moved even less and while I've tried to get a lot of sleep that fitbit just keeps telling me how bad my sleep is (seriously if I had sleep issues, I wouldn't use a fitbit because it just shows you how bad it is and there is little you can do to fix it).

So my refined goals for this week.

Eat - I'm going to the supermarket tomorrow as noone in the house has been shopping or cooking for more than a week.  I'm banishing the 'I can't be bothered' dinners so will need to come up with a meal plan before (or at) the shops.

Plan to eat a meal containing multiple vegetables each day - there may be a bulk dinner 

Move - still not feeling like moving, but I will do 2 work lunch gym sessions - just putting on the shoes and getting in the door.  Commit to Wed morning yoga.

sleep - get to bed early to try and make up some of the sleep debt.

• Like 2

Recently, our Rebel leader @Steve talked about how when his goals get derailed he just gets right back on track without moping about it or dwelling on it. This includes revisiting and refining your goals, as you have done. I'm proud of you. Life is a series of peaks and valleys, and that's what makes it an adventure. You can do this.

• Like 1

Well, I'm meeting these targets.

I haven't been to the shops yet but managed to make stirfry with the remaining vegies and then today scrapped around enough to make lentil and veggie soup with some homemade chicken stock from the freezer.  I even found some bok choy (chopped it up like spinach) in the garden.  No one else was eating it so I've got plenty for lunch for the next two days.

I also bullied my work mates to go for a lunch walk (we were too late for the gym) on Tuesday and we did morning yoga today.  I've told them 'no excuses' and as I am the one struggling they have no excuses.

I've got to bed early, but tonight I'm planning on hitting the sack at 9:30.

• Like 1

Hey, just checking in.

I've managed to (almost) pull myself out of the lurgy infested swamp and I've been hitting my 'eat proper meals', yoga has been a constant but I need to ramp up the movement.  Sleep is back to normal.

So now I just need to reset back to my pre-illness focus.

Here's the very short term plan:

I'm going to print out the 'cheat sheet' that I started with so I can plan for one of these check boxes.

Recommit to the 5 minute walk each hour - this should be doable.  Allow for say 2 'misses' per work day.

Outside time - plenty to do in the garden with this weird weather the weeds have been going mad - 5 minutes per day (kinda like just putting your shoes on and walking in the the gym door, just pull at least 5 weeds, and if you feel like doing more then good.)

Food - We have been doing well for dinner but I've get to get back on the lunch wagon (again normally a non-negotiable for me).  I've got a kinda of pathetic lunch for tomorrow so I promise myself a nice salad on Friday to get me back in the routine and go back to packing a week of salads this weekend.

Now off to bed!

• Like 1

I've started an online course which means I'm more likely to post updates 😉

I completely forgot that I was trying to get the 5 minutes each hour, but I also had a fairly disruptive day so didn't get in that zone where I was working several hours without getting up. I got 7 from 13 hours of movement on my fitbit.  i think 5 of those were during work hours so 5/8 is almost a pass!

I did the 5 minutes in the garden, I didn't really have any extra time as I was visiting my parents after work but hopefully the first of an new run.

We were planning a lunch gym session, which ended up a yoga session and quite a 'enthusiastic'  one so pleased with that movement.

I've bought some salad ingredients for tomorrow and will get something out of the freezer for dinner.  Got in a nice dinner of fish and salad with my parents tonight, continuing the veggies with dinner trend.

• Like 2

Whoops, How is it so long since I posted?  It was pre-social isolation.

During this challenge priorities changed a bit.  I should never say that I'm focussed for a challenge.

I got sick with a virus, which I got from Hubby and he's still sick with a viral cough.

My dad was sick with a gastro bug and he is the carer for my mum so I've spend some time there and since we are now working from home I worked from there for several days.

I picked up my knitting and started an online course, both almost by accident.

I planned to:

Acknowledge the urges for emotional eating and report back on the state and the outcome.  Listen out for the story that I'm telling myself in regard to food and refocus that story towards the a future success story.

This was better when I was actually reporting back but I feel I have been doing this to some extent, especially the first part.  I'd like to think that this can be a focus moving forward

Focus on movement over exercise

I have been gardening and trying to find those extra movement opportunities but circumstances didn't help with this goal.

Make sleep a priority

I feel I got back 'on the wagon' with this one but still need to be conscious of.

• Like 1