In-knee-ciating Recovery [DoubleTrouble]

DoubleTrouble

The main point of this challenge is to figure out what I kneed to do (or not do) to heal my knees. I'll do the usual stuff and then add on stuff that might help, and take away things that will hinder recovery.

Main quest

- Collect underpants about knee health and implement into routine

Routine quests

Gym: Go to the gym 5X a week. Do deep squat on leg press machine, and hamstring curls, both with very low weights (adding on weight over time). Maintain full passive ROM in knees.

Run/parkour: Alternate going for a run or doing parkour during lunch break at work.

Swim: Swim on Saturday.

PK/FR: Go to the local parkour gym as often as possible. Don't do anything that will hurt knees.

Side quest

- Do a front and a half off the diving board (if it doesn't hurt knees)

- Rock climbing? Other sports/activities that don't hurt knees?

• Like 4

hey! what's up with your knees? I'm just floating back through town and haven't heard your backstory :)

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Personally I wouldn't go bouldering with a bad knee, because of the high risk of falling awkwardly. With a rope you should be fine, though you might want to avoid really high feet and heel hooks.

Gotcha, thanks! I was thinking of the harness-type climbing (sorry I don't know what its called, I'm a noob).

10 hours ago, karinajean said:

hey! what's up with your knees? I'm just floating back through town and haven't heard your backstory :)

Welcome back! I'm not entirely sure what's up. My current hypothesis is IT band syndrome, caused by jumping around for parkour and flippy stuff. I did get it checked out so I know there's no major issue. What's this about diplomatic immunity?

On 2/17/2020 at 11:06 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Do a front and a half off the diving board (if it doesn't hurt knees)

I think the biggest risk to the knees here would be the final spring step (where you lift one leg to get height for the final spring).  Because the board isn't very stable, the knee is going to have to do extra duty keeping you stable as you go through that jump.  You may want to try a few practice runs on solid ground to see how your knee feels about that motion before trying it on the diving board

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Gotcha, thanks! I was thinking of the harness-type climbing (sorry I don't know what its called, I'm a noob).

No worries, climbing has a lot of lingo. :)  Sport climbing is the term you're thinking of. As a beginner you start with top roping, which is where the rope is anchored at the top of the route. Lead climbing is where you anchor the rope with quickdraws into existing bolts as you progress up the route. Outside there are more varieties, but that's what you find at the gym. That and bouldering, which is climbing short problems on low walls without a rope.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

My current hypothesis is IT band syndrome, caused by jumping around for parkour and flippy stuff. I did get it checked out so I know there's no major issue.

oh, interesting. I had a weird *pop* in my knee a few weeks ago and have NOT gotten it checked out yet but was also hypothesizing about it being related to a very tight IT band bouncing around inside of my body.

18 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

What's this about diplomatic immunity?

hmmm well you know, it might be something that would be helpful for an assassin, possibly, at some point in their career. although I will note: if you get caught while assassining and need the immunity, then one is not as good of an assassin as one thinks. just saying.

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

7 minutes ago, karinajean said:

oh, interesting. I had a weird *pop* in my knee a few weeks ago and have NOT gotten it checked out yet but was also hypothesizing about it being related to a very tight IT band bouncing around inside of my body.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think your IT band is supposed to be bouncing around. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think your IT band is supposed to be bouncing around. 🤔

hmmm, interesting perspective. you're probably right. honestly sometimes I feel like I could strum it like a guitar string, it's so weird and tight! that's why knee stuff is a challenge goal for me.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:06 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Other sports/activities that don't hurt knees?

HANDSTANDS :D or any hand balancing for that matter.

But I take the shoulder is back to normal pretty much yes?

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 2/18/2020 at 10:33 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I think the biggest risk to the knees here would be the final spring step (where you lift one leg to get height for the final spring).

Final spring... right. I was using the diving board like a spring floor and punching off, I should learn how to use it properly

On 2/19/2020 at 4:11 AM, Mad Hatter said:

No worries, climbing has a lot of lingo. :)  Sport climbing is the term you're thinking of. As a beginner you start with top roping, which is where the rope is anchored at the top of the route. Lead climbing is where you anchor the rope with quickdraws into existing bolts as you progress up the route. Outside there are more varieties, but that's what you find at the gym. That and bouldering, which is climbing short problems on low walls without a rope.

Top roping is what I'll try

On 2/20/2020 at 1:07 AM, @mu said:

HANDSTANDS :D or any hand balancing for that matter.

But I take the shoulder is back to normal pretty much yes?

I'll assume that this suggestion is completely unbiased.

Shoulder's good now!

----------

Quick update:

- Collected some underpants about knees, started doing stretches regularly for IT band syndrome. Going to add glute work next.

- Gym, running, and parkour is going well. Swimming could be better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Final spring... right. I was using the diving board like a spring floor and punching off, I should learn how to use it properly

It isn't particularly tricky, but there are a few things that you probably wouldn't think of unless someone tells you.

A basic front dive consists of 4 steps:

Approach

Launch

Dive

Entry

The approach is usually 3 or 4 steps, but I have always preferred a 3 step approach.  I spring from my left leg (right knee up) so my first step is with my left leg, bringing my hands in front of me as I step.  The second step (right leg) I put extra pressure into the board to create a bit of spring and I bring my hands behind me for momentum.  The third and final step I press down into the board as hard as I can and throw up my knee and hands to create as much height as possible.  Then I come down with both feet for the launch

The final step and launch should be in the same spot.  If you take the width of the board and create a square on the end the final step and launch should happen from the center of that square.  If you get too close to the edge of the board, it will spring you too far forward and you won't get nearly as much height.  Also, if you do you final approach step from further back on the board, you will end up with too much forward momentum and again you will lose out on height.  Most non-divers prefer to do it that way anyway because they are afraid of coming down and landing on the board.  However, if you are jumping up instead of backwards, the board will launch you away and into the pool.  You can test this by just doing the approach and launch and then staying upright to see where you land.

You may see some jokers jumping up and down 2-3 times on the end of the diving board like it's a trampoline.  Don't be one of those guys. ;)  Not only is it dangerous, it builds up bad habits of jumping backwards to stay on the board so when you try and do proper dives later it increases the likelihood of landing on the board.

The launch is similar to any jump, except that instead of waiting until you reach the apex to start rotation, you want to try and start rotating before you even leave the board.  This means you are going to fully extend your body and start throwing your arms down as soon the board hits the bottom of the spring.

The dive itself depends on the specific dive, but for front 1.5 tuck you want to stay in the tuck until you you can see the water (your torso should be about parallel to the water or just past) and then you just open up while continuing to look at the water as you enter.  

Entry into the water isn't too tricky if you don't worry about the splash, but the one thing you need to make sure is that your hands break the surface of the water where your head is going to enter.  If your hands are apart or you go in at an angle where your head misses the splash point from your hands, you are going to end up getting a bop on the head that can be quite annoying, although not too painful from the 1M board.  Also, if you are going in feet first, make sure to keep those legs together! ;) 

Alternatively you can probably find some tutorials on Youtube that explain all of that better :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Alternatively you can probably find some tutorials on Youtube that explain all of that better :) 

That was a pretty complete and comprehensible write-up, in m completely ignorant opinion. I've never done diving, and feel like I have a decent starting understanding of the process now. :) 

12 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

I'll assume that this suggestion is completely unbiased.

Shoulder's good now!

Glad to hear the shoulder's better, and seconding the "completely unbiased" opinion that handstands are awesomesauce. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 2/24/2020 at 11:59 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I did look up tutorials to visualize it but I really appreciate the write-up! It has a lot of tips that are not on the tutorials. Thanks!

---------------

I just did regular jumps off the board with the new technique, I have a bit of practicing to do before I can go for a front flip, and then even some more practice before attempting a 1.5 front. Definitely getting more height now though.

Went indoor rock climbing and stayed on the easiest wall the whole time. There was an auto belay system which let me down slowly if I fell off. I found that figuring out different climbing routes is similar to figuring out parkour challenges, but my visualization was completely off sometimes.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Went indoor rock climbing and stayed on the easiest wall the whole time. There was an auto belay system which let me down slowly if I fell off. I found that figuring out different climbing routes is similar to figuring out parkour challenges, but my visualization was completely off sometimes.

Nice! I find route reading really tricky still, especially since our gym has a lot of new school boulders.

7 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

What are new school boulders? And whats old school then?

Moves like tricky coordination sequences and crazy dynos, moves that verge on parkour. :D Also generally funky sequences and wrestling with giant holds and volumes. Basically things that you don't see that much, or at all, in nature. Old school is the opposite, and you do a lot of pulling hard on small holds.

• Like 2

No no ask away! :D Foot holds are the things you stand on and handholds on what you hold on to. Sometimes a hold fills both functions. A tip for reading (visualizing) the route is to look out for dark rubber marks from the shoes to find the footholds, or chalk for the handholds. Volumes are these big shapes, usually pyramids that are often used for both hands and feet. They're so big that route setters use them to effectively change the angle of the wall a little. They're commonly used for bouldering, not so much for route climbing.

Here's a video of some common terms, might help if you end up chatting to people at the wall. :) 

• Like 2
On 3/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Here's a video of some common terms, might help if you end up chatting to people at the wall. :) 

Thanks! There's no one at the wall though, except the supervisor.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll keep climbing because it threw off my sleep schedule, which threw off gym, which threw off pk/fr.

------------------

Gym was not going well, but is now getting back to normal.

Running is going well.

Swimming is not an option since pools are closed due to concerns about the virus.

Broke a small mental barrier and did my first gainer into the foam pit. Yay!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 1
3 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll keep climbing because it threw off my sleep schedule, which threw off gym, which threw off pk/fr.

Ah shame, but I get it. Priorities! 

3 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Broke a small mental barrier and did my first gainer into the foam pit. Yay!

Awesome! Breaking the mental barrier is often the hardest part.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2020 at 12:39 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

my first gainer into the foam pit

That's your FIRST gainer?  Your form was really good!

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

On 3/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Ah shame, but I get it. Priorities! 

Awesome! Breaking the mental barrier is often the hardest part.

Both the gym and parkour gym are now closed 😥

The barrier usually reforms again but it also breaks easier the next time so that's nice.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:20 PM, Manarelle said:

Dude that's freaking awesome. Mad props to you. 

Staph ittt

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's your FIRST gainer?  Your form was really good!

Ha! No, here's my actual first attempt. It was after a warmup, a whole bunch of prep jumps/flips, and a lot of walking around in circles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2