Lady Morbuks opens a new volume

Intro: I'm your classic "old lady nerd". I love books, sewing, British TV, and lifting weights. 35-yr-old DINK in the Seattle area. Conveniently, I also enjoy drinking coffee, wearing black, and judging things. I landed in the right city. Also classic introvert, so nervous re: joining anything, even online, ha.

My main quest is to consistently work out & start eating better.  I generally consider myself a "person who exercises" which is as much of a surprise to me as it is to anyone. I've been on the exercise wagon for around 5 years, but have never enjoyed riding on the "eating appropriately" wagon, so that's more of a challenge for me.

2-3 sub-quests:

- eat 1 or less fried food per week

- work out 3x per week, no more longer 2-day breaks ;)

- eat at least 1 veg per day

Here's to all of us for giving it a shot!

• Like 4

@Harriet You said it, sister.

Update: I worked out yesterday despite being very, very sore from Monday's workout. Success! Without this challenge, I might have let it slide to give myself another day to "recover"...

It was not the easiest to get back into squats, etc. sore, but I'm glad I did it. I am 10% less sore today, but still walking abnormally slowly.
Nutrition: pretty good, eschewing carbs except for already-made dinner tonight, so I will focus on portion. Also not overdoing it at happy hour tonight. Luckily I have friends who are not nosy or pushy about food/drink choices--hooray, adults!

image.png.f90ddd6aefe5bf7d692f84515f6e202d.png

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Fitness: I'm so much less sore today, which is fantastic. My DOMS is definitely on a 48-hour period, so I'm really happy that I'm not dying today even though I worked out Wednesday. I was expecting this to get better, and I'm so happy it has.

Feelings: In an effort to stop humble-bragging to my work colleagues, I will straight up brag here:
You guys I work out regularly I am made of solid gold. That is all.

I like to tell people that are working to establish a regular workout habit the secret no one else will share: it's so hard to do this, that once you do you get an amazing boost of world-conquering confidence. Your new year's really improve because at least you have this one big thing covered; everything else is gravy. 

Nutrition: Speaking of gravy, I'm doing ok with portion control but still really, really need to keep an eye on my "oh, I'll just have one more cocktail, everyone else is" tendency. At least I'm aware of it, which is better than nothing. Today's challenge: stop eating when I'm full, and consider ordering appetizers for dinner instead of a huge pasta plate.

image.png.5d94af84fce18b9307693d7d3150837d.png

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

You guys I work out regularly I am made of solid gold. That is all.

Hahaha awesome. 

8 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

Speaking of gravy, I'm doing ok with portion control but still really, really need to keep an eye on my "oh, I'll just have one more cocktail, everyone else is" tendency. At least I'm aware of it, which is better than nothing.

Mmm, cocktails. Let me know if you find the secret of stopping power. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

@tonic Yo, fellow Seattlelite! Let's do coffee sometime. Also yeah, jeezy creezy the cocktail prices around here.

@Harriet I also employ the method of "if it's straight whiskey, I'll drink it slowly". Very successful. Stopping? I don't know how to do that yet, but I'm getting better at slowing down. Primarily I remember how nice hangover-free mornings are and how too much boozing makes me feel wretched. Also expense, see above. Definitely a work in progress, but I'm making progress so that's something.

It's difficult to write this, but today I had a sudden, strong depressive episode in which I sobbed for an hour then slept for 5. Yikes. This hasn't happened in at least a year, so I was a little unprepared to encounter it, hence the coping mechanism of "I'll just stop thinking and feeling altogether through sleep". Sigh. Thank goodness I have no dependents except my dog, who also like sleeping.

THEN I WORKED OUT ANYWAY, YOU GUYS. Points! I'm very proud of myself. Then I had a delish carbolicious dinner so, not perfect but hey.

Also I stopped at 1 cocktail at our fancy dinner out last night. With me that counts as a solid achievement as well.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

@Harriet I also employ the method of "if it's straight whiskey, I'll drink it slowly". Very successful. Stopping? I don't know how to do that yet, but I'm getting better at slowing down. Primarily I remember how nice hangover-free mornings are and how too much boozing makes me feel wretched. Also expense, see above. Definitely a work in progress, but I'm making progress so that's something.

Yes. My main barrier to drinking is knowing that I'm lifting next day. Me: "Ya wanna bench dehydrated??? DO YOU???" Also  Me "nooo".

10 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

It's difficult to write this, but today I had a sudden, strong depressive episode in which I sobbed for an hour then slept for 5. Yikes. This hasn't happened in at least a year, so I was a little unprepared to encounter it, hence the coping mechanism of "I'll just stop thinking and feeling altogether through sleep". Sigh. Thank goodness I have no dependents except my dog, who also like sleeping.

Oh, that sucks. I don't get really sudden episodes (more slow-rolling banks of fog that linger). But I do remember sleeping a lot when depressed. Friggin amazing that you got up afterwards and worked out! 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Woot Woot on getting a workout in on Monday!

How were the resistance band pull ups? If you have more than one you can use more than one - I have looped a 3 incher and a 2 incher to give me enough lift so I would still work on the motion.

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

tonic's taking it back

Thanks to this challenge, I have done 3 body weight workouts per week for two weeks. Success!

Nutrition has been a mixed bag. I slipped up and had 2 fried foods this week, but I also chose to avoid some at other instances, so it’s not the end of the world. A work in progress.

Meditation has surprisingly been the most difficult to implement, barely got in one bout last week. Need to concentrate on this one for sure.

I did my first assisted chin up on Wednesday! First chin up ever in my life, very exciting!! I plan to progress bit by bit until I can do a completely unassisted pull up. Talk to you in 2 years 😂 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1
11 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

Thanks to this challenge, I have done 3 body weight workouts per week for two weeks. Success!

I did my first assisted chin up on Wednesday! First chin up ever in my life, very exciting!!

Excellent! The assisted chin up is very inspiring.I hope the bodyweight workouts are enjoyable enough? That, I feel, is the best foundation for success; a workout you actually like doing.

Nutrition has been a mixed bag. I slipped up and had 2 fried foods this week, but I also chose to avoid some at other instances, so it’s not the end of the world.

Right. No need to get too rigid with eating.

Meditation has surprisingly been the most difficult to implement, barely got in one bout last week. Need to concentrate on this one for sure.

Was that a joke :D 

On 3/1/2020 at 7:37 AM, Harriet said:

Was that a joke :D

@Harriet Ha ha not intended :D

Thanks for the encouragement, though! I'm really enjoying the beginner bodyweight workout. I've been following the NROLFW since last July, and I have to say I love pre-programmed workouts with incremental increases. The less I have to think/plan before a workout, the more likely I am to just jump in and get it done. I find the NF beginner bodyweight workout very nicely balanced. I'm immensely pleased with myself that I can now do lunges with very little discomfort after having spent so much time strengthening my legs over the past months. I always thought lunges hurt my knees, but turns out once I grew all the surrounding muscles/whatever (technical terms, lol) lunges are perfectly fine and useful. I still have to concentrate on getting my form just right, but my posture has improved by leaps & bounds while lunging. I look very awkward and military-ish now, which appears to be the look for correct form in all lifting. Do you look like a bit of a dweeb with a stick up your bum? Then your posture is correct :D No slinking around like a nightclub chanteuse when working out!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

@Harriet Ha ha not intended :D

Thanks for the encouragement, though! I'm really enjoying the beginner bodyweight workout. I've been following the NROLFW since last July, and I have to say I love pre-programmed workouts with incremental increases. The less I have to think/plan before a workout, the more likely I am to just jump in and get it done. I find the NF beginner bodyweight workout very nicely balanced. I'm immensely pleased with myself that I can now do lunges with very little discomfort after having spent so much time strengthening my legs over the past months. I always thought lunges hurt my knees, but turns out once I grew all the surrounding muscles/whatever (technical terms, lol) lunges are perfectly fine and useful. I still have to concentrate on getting my form just right, but my posture has improved by leaps & bounds while lunging. I look very awkward and military-ish now, which appears to be the look for correct form in all lifting. Do you look like a bit of a dweeb with a stick up your bum? Then your posture is correct :D No slinking around like a nightclub chanteuse when working out!

Excellent. I, too, have benefited from increased stabilising muscle around my knees. Can't wear skinny jeans any more, but who cares. 

23 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

@Harriet y’all just gotta get them jeans with stretch 😉

Oh, I've tried. It feels like everything from the knee down is suffocating.

23 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

I worked out today even though it’s Monday, and it was tough to talk myself into it. A sleep deficit, zero motivation, but I got it done.

This challenge has really helped keep me on track, I’m surprised how much. 

Excellent :) I hope the workout wasn't too gruesome and that you were rewarded with some satisfaction at the end.

Hey, just wanted to pop in and say you're making brilliant progress. When the circumstances aren't perfect, I find it really easy to get into this negative self-talk of, "aww, I didn't sleep enough, guess I'll let today slide," but you're out here working on that challenge regardless of what happens. That's so cool. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

@chirithy Thanks for the support!

I did 3 assisted chin-ups yesterday, after doing all 3 rounds of the body weight workout. Yeah!

Nutrition: still working on it, but sticking with the challenge bounds so far this week. Stopped halfway through lunch yesterday and saved the other half for today's lunch = progress. Cocktail last night "because it just sounds good"....less great, but not terrible.

Meditation: cough, cough, not happening yet....but working on being more mindful & present in general. I'm a born worrier (and Warrior!), so I can easily dwell negatively on the past or future and abstract myself from the present moment. So I'm working on that. Talk about an infinite quest 🙄

• Like 1

You've been caught in the "crossfire" of the Scouts Virtual Color Run!

image.png

It's just a little bit of light-hearted fun and a celebration of Spring.

If you want to "participate," here are some ideas for this week:

• For one exercise session this week, pull out the brightest version of clothing you might reasonably wear
  • Get into the spirit of the holiday by letting go of an old grudge or resentment, or by taking the opportunity to turn over a new leaf and make a fresh start on something
  • Enjoy the season...find an extra reason to spend a few minutes enjoying being outside
  • "Throw some color" on someone else...maybe spread some cheer, or do a good deed.

p.s. Great work on the chin-ups!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016