• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

fsjjunkie

Train for Triathlon Challenge

Race: Spartan

Profession: Scout (w/assassin tendencies)

Attributes:

Strength 3

Dexterity 4

Stamina 4

Constitution 2

Wisdom 1

Charisma 1

Goals:

1) I WILL finish this challenge. (WIS +1)

2) Swim twice, bike twice, run twice, bodyweight workout once per week. (STR +1, DEX +1, STA+3)

3) Set a new 5K PR. I have 2 5Ks during this challenge. (STA+1, CHA+1)

4) Stay on my version of Paleo (includes Dairy and the occasional Green Bean). Pastries are the enemy. Goal is not more than 2 servings a week of grains/processed sugars (STR+1, CON +2)

5) I'm putting a drop ceiling in my basement. The project has dragged on forever. It MUST be completed by 6/11. (CON +1, WIS +1, CHA +2)

So I started a 16 week Olympic Triathlon training plan on 4/21. I have 2 Sprint Tris and and International slated for this summer, as well as a Spartan Super. This challenge ends 2 weeks before the first Sprint Tri, so if I can stick to my plan, I should crush that race. My current 5K PR is 25:10. My tri training should be helping me to improve this. I have two official shots at beating it. The diet can be stuck to if I plan right and have paleo snacks around. The basement project would really boost my wisdom and charisma standing with my wife, and take a load of pressure off of me, hence the constitution component. I just have to make it a priority on the weekends.

Just meeting those 4 goals would be a real level-up.

Edited by fsjjunkie

I'm doing a couple of local Sprint Triathlons 6/23 - North Mountain Sprint Tri - Martinsburg, WVA and 9/9 Tri-the-Valley in Purcellville, VA. I'm doing the Culpeper International in Culpeper, VA on 8/4.

New 5K PR yesterday... 23:51. So one of my challenge goals has been achieved. And I have another chance to do it again in 2 weeks. WOOT, WOOT!!

Week 2 Scorecard

Goal

1) all or nothing at the end

2) Completed for week 2!! 100%

3) New 5K PR accomplished. 23:51. Will try again next Saturday to do even better. I may even give myself bonus points if I accomplish a second PR.

4) Diet goal accomplished. Ate a Bagel after 5k PR. Snuck a breakfast pastry for a late snack. Those were my 2. 100%

5) :neglected: nothing to advance here. 0% for the week.

So the fitness front is going great. The life front, not so much.

I just registered for the ArmyTenMiler. It's in October in Washington, DC. Got to keep adding goals.

Week 3 Scorecard

Goal

1> Still going

2> subbed one swim, one bike and one run with 6 hours river canoeing flat and whitewater. the minutes far exceeded those in my plan for normal workouts.

3> Completed. Looking to double down on this one.

4> Did well. Been reading more on Mark's Daily Apple and the Paleo Diet for Athletes and it seems that I may be OK with a few more carbs, given the training I'm engaged in. (but not sugars and wheats)

5> 8-( I have a 3 day weekend....gotta bust this out.

Not a bad week. Best thing is I'm still tracking my goals and logging in here. The weekly challenges REALLY help.

Lookout Scout, I'm coming over from the Adventurer guild to plant seeds of Adventurer awesome. ;)

Our challenge this week is to find someone in another guild, borrow one of their goals to work on. I picked you… Feel lucky, really. :)

The goal I'm taking (well part of your goal anyway…) bike twice a week. I'd like to see if I can get close to the time you posted for the Week 2 guild challenge...

A little about my adventurer self… I'm awesome (See Dawsy? I paid attention!). Seriously though, my main goal is to finish losing this weight. To date I'm down 110 pounds. I have about another 90ish to go to my goal weight of 210. So to do this I do a mix of body weight strength and running/walking/biking. Or, I keep trying to enjoy running by signing up for 5ks to force myself to train for them. I really do enjoy biking much more. I just need to find bike races to sign up for... yep, that's about me in a nutshell.

In all my challenges I found I either do really good on the fitness goals or the life goals. Heh. Good luck with the ceiling. You're kicking ass on the fitness stuff.

Our challenge this week is to find someone in another guild, borrow one of their goals to work on. I picked you… Feel lucky, really. :)

I absolutely love the idea of 'borrowing' someone's goals to work on! You've inspired me to trawl the other guilds in the hunt of a mini challenge I can set myself for the week! :D

fsjjunkie - fantastic challenges and it sounds like you're doing really well. :D

Lookout Scout, I'm coming over from the Adventurer guild to plant seeds of Adventurer awesome. ;)

The goal I'm taking (well part of your goal anyway…) bike twice a week. I'd like to see if I can get close to the time you posted for the Week 2 guild challenge...

Good luck with the ceiling. You're kicking ass on the fitness stuff.

Hey citabean! Welcome to Scout Land. I am indeed honored that you chose one of my goals. If my math is correct, you've already dropped 25% of your starting body weight. BIG WOOT! WOOT! for you. Keep up the great work.

So, how are you doing on the cycling? You sound like me...signing up for races to force you to train. I did 2 5k's in the last 2 weeks and have 5 more races (various kinds) scheduled between now and the end of October.

I made some good progress on a difficult step on the ceiling this weekend. Thanks for the good wishes.

Week 4....Interim Report.

Goals:

1) I WILL finish this challenge. (WIS +1) I'm still at it.

2) Swim twice, bike twice, run twice, bodyweight workout once per week. (STR +1, DEX +1, STA+3) I got in everything except for the bodyweight workout. I think that 7th workout was a little bit overzealous since I'm also coaching baseball and leading Scouts 4 - 5 days/wk

3) Set a new 5K PR. I have 2 5Ks during this challenge. (STA+1, CHA+1) Completed. Missed 2nd PR by 7 secs.

4) Stay on my version of Paleo (includes Dairy and the occasional Green Bean). Pastries are the enemy. Goal is not more than 2 servings a week of grains/processed sugars (STR+1, CON +2) Pop Tarts / Ice cream cone / popcorn -5%

5) I'm putting a drop ceiling in my basement. The project has dragged on forever. It MUST be completed by 6/11. (CON +1, WIS +1, CHA +2) Got over the hump and got a lot done on the next phase. Completion 5% (of course, this looks bad for completing this goal for the challenge)

Overall grade 2/3 through the 6 week challenge: B.

Hey citabean! Welcome to Scout Land. I am indeed honored that you chose one of my goals. If my math is correct, you've already dropped 25% of your starting body weight. BIG WOOT! WOOT! for you. Keep up the great work.

So, how are you doing on the cycling? You sound like me...signing up for races to force you to train. I did 2 5k's in the last 2 weeks and have 5 more races (various kinds) scheduled between now and the end of October.

I made some good progress on a difficult step on the ceiling this weekend. Thanks for the good wishes.

Hehe, thanks.

Cycling is going well. I find it odd I can maintain faster paces on a stationary bike. I need to find a bike race to sign up for to work on that goal more. Now, I just more do it cuz I love it. :)

Week 5 wrapup

Goals:

1) I WILL finish this challenge. (WIS +1) I'm still at it.

2) Swim twice, bike twice, run twice, bodyweight workout once per week. (STR +1, DEX +1, STA+3) No Bodyweight workout and missed the long bike train due to scheduling issues with kids and field trips. BUT>...got my new road bike. LOVING IT!

3) Set a new 5K PR. I have 2 5Ks during this challenge. (STA+1, CHA+1) Completed.

4) Stay on my version of Paleo (includes Dairy and the occasional Green Bean). Pastries are the enemy. Goal is not more than 2 servings a week of grains/processed sugars (STR+1, CON +2) Popcorn with the kids. OK.

5) I'm putting a drop ceiling in my basement. The project has dragged on forever. It MUST be completed by 6/11. (CON +1, WIS +1, CHA +2) +2% this week, Overall Completion 7%

So I'm looking at an overall C+ this week.

"No Retreat, No Surrender"

Last Interim grade and Final Report

1) I WILL finish this challenge. (WIS +1) Stayed with it all the way!

2) Swim twice, bike twice, run twice, bodyweight workout once per week. (STR +1, DEX +1, STA+3) No bodyweight work. There was lots of baseball coaching and an elementary school science olympiad session prepared and delivered. Nailed the rest (for the final challenge 25 bike, 11.5 run, 1.16 swim)

3) Set a new 5K PR. I have 2 5Ks during this challenge. (STA+1, CHA+1) Accomplished

4) Stay on my version of Paleo (includes Dairy and the occasional Green Bean). Pastries are the enemy. Goal is not more than 2 servings a week of grains/processed sugars (STR+1, CON +2) Popcorn and an ice cream cone. Check. Had 3 different people comment how lean I'm looking. :victorious:

5) I'm putting a drop ceiling in my basement. The project has dragged on forever. It MUST be completed by 6/11. (CON +1, WIS +1, CHA +2) Nothing accomplished this week. :hopelessness:

80% for the final week.

Overall:

1) 100% Completed challenged, reporting every week A 1 x WIS +1

2) 90% Only missed a couple of workouts in 6 weeks A 1 x (STR +1, DEX +1, STA+3)

3) 100% Set a 5k PR and almost a second A 1 x (STA +1, CHA +1)

4) 90% Only slipped one item in each of 2 weeks A 1 x (STR +1, CON +2)

5) 10% Pathetic excuse for progress. F 0 x (CON +1, WIS +1, CHA +2)

Overall gains:

STR +2, DEX +1, STA +4, CON +2, WIS +1, CHA +1