Really want to get into bench press

So i have always wanted to get bigger since i'm naturally, i wouldn't say skinny but on the smaller side being 16, 130 pounds and 5'9, but now i actually have a chance since my school now has a gym, so naturally a place where i can finally start benching.

I remember about 2 years ago i could bench about 66 pounds (30kg) during my first time benching ever.

Just wanted to ask what could i do to start improving my bench? (and just in general getting bigger)

Probably should just get straight to lifting right?

Are there any specific routines i should follow?

Thanks

Edit: Also if i dont respond fast i might be asleep, since its almost night time where im at.

• Like 1

welcome to the forum.

its common to be particularly interested in the bench press; and that exercise is a great lift that uses a lot of muscles and builds functional fitness BUT

I would say its a little short-sighted to be ONLY interested in the bench.

what you really Want is to be strong! and there are so many other important muscles for that.

most good beginner plans for weight lifting specifically focus on 5 barbell lifts;  Back Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press and Barbell Row.

if you follow any of the good exercise plans that highlight these lifts; you will generally build strength (everywhere) and in time get very good at the bench press.

Given that your a little YOUNG and I am not; I'm going to offer a little advice.

don't lift for vanity sake.  lift to be strong and healthy and the body confidence and bulging muscles will come along With the strength and Health.

I am sure that in the years to come strength and health will be much more valuable to you than a bulging pec; though you will probably have that too....

anyways.

I hope that is good advice.

if you want more information on this kind of plan: I have been using Stronglift which is described in great detail over the net.

within that site describing the whole plan there is other more specific guidance about bench press.  

Good luck.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

5 hours ago, TGP said:

welcome to the forum.

its common to be particularly interested in the bench press; and that exercise is a great lift that uses a lot of muscles and builds functional fitness BUT

I would say its a little short-sighted to be ONLY interested in the bench.

what you really Want is to be strong! and there are so many other important muscles for that.

most good beginner plans for weight lifting specifically focus on 5 barbell lifts;  Back Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press and Barbell Row.

if you follow any of the good exercise plans that highlight these lifts; you will generally build strength (everywhere) and in time get very good at the bench press.

Given that your a little YOUNG and I am not; I'm going to offer a little advice.

don't lift for vanity sake.  lift to be strong and healthy and the body confidence and bulging muscles will come along With the strength and Health.

I am sure that in the years to come strength and health will be much more valuable to you than a bulging pec; though you will probably have that too....

anyways.

I hope that is good advice.

if you want more information on this kind of plan: I have been using Stronglift which is described in great detail over the net.

within that site describing the whole plan there is other more specific guidance about bench press.  

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply and all of the useful info. After the first day my triceps feel incredibly sore and stiff, hoping that goes away until next tuesday when i plan on going again after school. 

Thanks again for the informational reply, ill try my best.