• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ormaybemidgets

Samantha's 28 Day Challenge

From the November Challenge thread:

Me:

Race: Human/Gnome. I'm about 5'1, and the last time I weighed myself, 120lbs. Human for average weight, gnome for shorty shortness.

Ideal Profession: ...no idea. At one time, over the summer, I thought Scout. I was running and only running. I guess I want to be a Ranger. I don't want to run all the time, but I don't want to strength train all the time. I want to be fast enough, strong enough. I'm excited about doing NYC Ballet DVD, which I hope will help with flexibility and... litheness (?), but I'll be upset if I lose the running speed/endurance that I've gained.

Fitness Goals:

1. NYC Ballet: flexibility, toning, abs

Twice a week.

2. Cardio: running, most likely inside - it's getting cold here already.

Twice a week, bonus points for three times.

3. Food: make eating plans, don't just "find something" in the kitchen, because that thing that I find will be mac and cheese, and chocolate.

Life Goals:

1. List my textbooks for sale online. I have so many, and this is my senior year; time to clear them out.

2. Request, and carry out, an interview for Vandy Law.

That's all I've got right now. The challenge comes at a weird time for me, I'll be in school the first 1.5 weeks of the challenge, home for .5 weeks for Thanksgiving, then back for 2 weeks without classes, which is a notoriously difficult time for me to stay on track.

11/15 Monday

No gym, but I have reasons, people. I spent six hours applying to law school, which I am now almost finished with (one left). And everything that came with that... this glimpse at my future, putting my life in the admissions committee's hands, looking at what this means for me, for my family, for my relationships... it's a lot to take, and I'm particularly bad at taking it, so I accompanied my LSAC adventure with cookies instead of crunches.

11/15 Monday

No gym, but I have reasons, people. I spent six hours applying to law school, which I am now almost finished with (one left). And everything that came with that... this glimpse at my future, putting my life in the admissions committee's hands, looking at what this means for me, for my family, for my relationships... it's a lot to take, and I'm particularly bad at taking it, so I accompanied my LSAC adventure with cookies instead of crunches.

you mean you couldn't have done jumping jacks while applying for law school?

slacker.

:)

seriously though, welcome back and good luck with the craziness of this month!

11/15 Monday

Whoa. No stress there or anything. I remember when my ex-husband was applying to law schools. I thought I was having a heart attack in slow motion so I can't even imagine what it would be like to be the one doing the applying.

You know what's good for stress? Dumplings. Just kidding. But a tabata or two helps me feel better and only takes four minutes or so. You're already levelling up your life today. Don't stress the gym.

I will do a floor barre in your honor.

alr

Haha, thanks guys! They're all over except for Vandy... now waiting part A (it's too soon to hear back), waiting part B (some rejections, that's fine, acceptances will come too), waiting part C (oh my god, no one wants me and I have no where to go), and decisions (man I wish I was still waiting so I didn't have to make all these hard choices). But none of that's today, and that makes today a good day.

So does this! :

11/16 Tuesday

0-3min at 3.5

3-5min at 7.2 (8:20 mile)

5-8min at 4.0

8-10min at 7.2

10-13min at 4.0

13-15min at 7.2

15-15:54min at 3.5

--Break for water, like 30 seconds

15:54-18min at 3.5

18-20min at 7.2

20-23min at 3.5

23-25min at 7.2

25-28min at 3.5

28-30min at 3.0

Pretty good, but I'm always sad when I can't make it to a mile. I'm a little bit confused about what is going on in my mind/body, since I know I can run 3miles, and I know I can run a 8:27minute mile, but sometimes when I up the speed I just can't do the distance.

When I was applying for graduate school and worrying about if I'd get in or not, I did a lot of cardio-esque boxing. Not to say I'm a good boxer or anything, but there was something that felt so good about imagining those damn committees and then punching them in the FACE :lol: What, you want to question any part of my application? SLAM!

Try it. Trust me, you'll love it.

Muay Thai is how I got through a custody fight. I second this. Find a standing back, watch some Muay Thai stuff on youtube and then pound the crap out of it. See how many Thai kicks you can get per leg in 30 sec. Then throw some punches and elbows and do the kicks again.

11/15 Monday

No gym, but I have reasons, people. I spent six hours applying to law school, which I am now almost finished with (one left).

That's great! I know this was one of your big, looming life goals and it's awesome to see that you're almost done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks prefect! I just have to get this damn Vandy one done, and then I won't worry about it until letters start rolling in.

11/17 Wednesday

NYC Ballet

Doing pretty good on candy-eating, or not-candy eating (candy not-eating?). I've discovered this secret about nutrition, are you ready? If you eat enough dinner, you won't binge on sugar from the hours of 8pm-2am. Who knew?

Thanks prefect! I just have to get this damn Vandy one done, and then I won't worry about it until letters start rolling in.

11/17 Wednesday

NYC Ballet

Doing pretty good on candy-eating, or not-candy eating (candy not-eating?). I've discovered this secret about nutrition, are you ready? If you eat enough dinner, you won't binge on sugar from the hours of 8pm-2am. Who knew?

How is that NYC DVD working out for you? It sounds cool, is it difficult?

hah, the whole "eat dinner, and you're NOT hungry later" epiphany is a bit obvious, but I just discovered it myself. We may not be too swift on the uptake, but we learn eventually!

And speaking as one who works in a lawfirm, a) you're crazy, and B) good luck!

I really like it. I have this obsession with being a dancer. I danced (non-competitive) in high school, and although I was never great at it and it was never a huge part of my life, I have this crazy obsession with being a dancer. I have no idea why. It's similar to the problem I have with desperately wanting to be a cheerleader.

Anyway, the actual topic, I think NYC Ballet is pretty good, and I know alr bought it too. I haven't seen any (noticeable) results, but that's more because I don't stick with it. Hopefully this challenge I'll get to twice a week, and then at the end can evaluate whether anything improved. I've definitely gotten better, just at doing the DVD.

This answers nothing. It is on YouTube, though.

hah, the whole "eat dinner, and you're NOT hungry later" epiphany is a bit obvious, but I just discovered it myself. We may not be too swift on the uptake, but we learn eventually!

And speaking as one who works in a lawfirm, a) you're crazy, and B) good luck!

I know, you'd think "eat food" wouldn't be that hard to catch onto, but there you have it. At least I know now :)

Literally ONE person with experience has told me to be a lawyer, and everyone else has said, just turn around and RUN AWAY. What kind of firm do you work in?

11/18 Thursday

I had kind of, vague intentions of working out in the morning, since I don't on Thursday nights. If I did my essay Wednesday night, got up at the normal time (9), I could work out for an hour, shower, dry my hair, and then still have enough time to get ready before class. This was my "eh, sort of" plan. And what happens when you have an eh, sort of plan? You do not do it. Or I do not. Instead, I didn't write my essay and got up at 10:30. Ah well.

11/19 Friday

Sometimes Friday is a gym day, but probably not today. I won't get out of work until 6 or 6:30 tonight, which throws off dinner... we'll see though. I could do 6:30home-gym, 7:30done-shower, 8out-dry hair, 8:30done-make up, 9meet up? Actually, that sounds crazy. Not eating dinner until 9? This isn't NYC!

So probably I'll have today as another no-gym day, but I can still meet my goal if I do NYC tomorrow and gym Sunday.

As far as eating, I am doing remarkably well on the candy front. Yesterday the only candy I had was 6 or 7 M&Ms that a classmate offered me and I took before thinking about it.

For life goals, I haven't listed any new textbooks, but I did sell two of the ones I'd previously listed this past week. I haven't requested my Vandy interview, or even done the Vandy app yet. I held off because it's probably my #1 choice right now, and I wanted to give it special attention. But now all I'm doing it putting it off.

Just do the application, Samantha. The more you put it off, the easier it will be to put off, and I've known people who wrecked their lives (or at least delayed their goals by years) through such silly nonsense.

My firm is a full-survice national lawfirm, but I specialize in international upstream patroleum law, particularily with developing countries - 80% with oil companies, 20% with host governments, as well as organizing a lot of seminars and conferences. I lose such karma points, I know, but I kinda stumbled onto the position and it pays the bills for now. Its really interesting to see the inner workings, I must say. The world is such a fly-by-seat-of-pants shitshow.

I really like it. I have this obsession with being a dancer. I danced (non-competitive) in high school, and although I was never great at it and it was never a huge part of my life, I have this crazy obsession with being a dancer. I have no idea why. It's similar to the problem I have with desperately wanting to be a cheerleader.

Anyway, the actual topic, I think NYC Ballet is pretty good, and I know alr bought it too. I haven't seen any (noticeable) results, but that's more because I don't stick with it. Hopefully this challenge I'll get to twice a week, and then at the end can evaluate whether anything improved. I've definitely gotten better, just at doing the DVD.

This answers nothing. It is on YouTube, though.

HAHA Well River Tam is great inspiration, I'd love to be able to beat up an entire room full of reavers too. Haha you know what, it's crazy but I want to learn how to dance too. My biggest regret in life was when my Mom never got me to try dance as a kid, she didn't enroll me in any classes. She only asked me once if I wanted to do aikido (I KNOW RIGHT, I don't even--) and I basically begged her to let me play the cello (which I did end up doing pretty much for the rest of my teenage years).

I wish she was one of those Moms who forced me into ballet so I could have legs like the guys in this video

, check it out. Stupid reason but still, I want to learn how to dance! Super inspiring!

11/20 Saturday

Nope. Woke up at 12:30pm, got ready and ate breakfast, left at 1:30pm. Went to a bar to watch NU play a ridiculous game against Illinois - if there's any Northwestern fans on here, I'm conflicted. Blame Evan Watkins for sucking so hard, or give him a break as a true freshman at his first game? Two beers, (free) drink at halftime, turkey sandwich no fries. Left at 5pm to go to a Christmas parade. Home at 9:30, exhausted, thrown from the sober-drunk-sober roller coaster of the day.

11/21 Sunday

Didn't get going until 3:30pm. Sick (flu) and cramming for a Spanish final tomorrow. No gym, due to a combination of those things.

Shouldn't be a problem to get to the gym tomorrow, or if I'm still sick, NYC Ballet. If I make a plan for Tuesday I should be able to do that too. Wednesday, probably not. Leaving here at 9:30am, flight at 2:30pm, in at 6:30pm, home at 8pm. Also Thursday no gym, since it's Thanksgiving and I'll be cooking all day.

Just do the application, Samantha. The more you put it off, the easier it will be to put off, and I've known people who wrecked their lives (or at least delayed their goals by years) through such silly nonsense.

I know it's true. I will, without a doubt, do it tomorrow night. I don't have plans and don't have work for Tuesday, so my evening is open. Kick me if I don't!

As to work, I have no idea what I'm doing with my life yet, but I am intrigued with big business. Like you said, it's really interesting, and I'm mesmerized by the workings of businesses (especially what the evil ones can get away with). Not sure if the awe is worth the moral trade-off, but I really do think it's interesting.

I wish she was one of those Moms who forced me into ballet

Go dance now! If it's one of those things you've always wanted to do, you should do it now. :D

Pretty sure free drinks don't have any calories. Right?

*scribbles note* "Kick Sam unless application done by Tuesday". Okay, you, be warned!

commercial is neat - contract work is one of my favorite parts of law.

At 2:20AM, I climbed into bed. Contacts out, lights off, alarm set.

And then I realized... I had not done my Vandy app.

Well, I said, I have no classes tomorrow. I can do it in the morning.

I will, without a doubt, do it tomorrow night. I don't have plans and don't have work for Tuesday, so my evening is open. Kick me if I don't!

*scribbles note* "Kick Sam unless application done by Tuesday". Okay, you, be warned!

So... IT IS DONE.

Dear Samantha X,

LSAC has received and processed your law school application package for Vanderbilt University Law School, Fall 2011 - Fall 2011 - Vanderbilt JD Application on 11/23/2010 2:32:06 AM. Check your LSAC Online Services account for updates on the status of your applications and to view the PDF version of processed applications.

Thank you!

11/22 Monday

No gym. I was definitely sick. The night before, I said I would do gym or NYC Ballet, but then about 1pm I had this revelation... I could not breathe. I stopped, thought about it, tried a deep breath in my nose... nope. That's weird, I thought. So I definitely did not work out, due to it probably killing me since I a) couldn't breathe and apparently B) did not notice.

11/23 Tuesday

UGH. I'm not sick, but I really don't think I'm going to. I had roughly 45 minutes free, so I could have done something (especially BBWW), but a friend called to say she's coming over to say goodbye and she'll be here in "five minutes." Thirty minutes later...

But it's not fair to blame her, because either way I probably would have spent the last half hour on the internet. Oy. Oy, I say, to myself. Get it together, Samantha!

Wow, falling waaaaaaaaay behind on posts.

11/24 Wednesday

Nothing. Left for the airport at 9am, got home at 9pm.

11/25 Thursday

Very much nothing. Thanksgiving! Made and ate delicious food.

11/26 Friday

Nope.

11/27 Saturday

Nope.

11/28 Sunday

Left for the airport at 12, home at 9pm. Talked to the roommate til 12.

11/29 Monday

Finally! And I wasn't going to, either, but I read Steve's post:

Ah, damn you/bless you, Steve! Here was the plan. I was planning to work out at 5:30. But I got home and I was lazy and I didn't want to. So I decided to "catch up" on the NF forums and your last two posts, all the while assuming that it would take SO LONG that I wouldn't have time to workout tonight.

Then you tell me, I have to work out tonight. Well, booooo you.

I mean... yay you. I'm doing modified BBWW to get on track today.

So yesterday I did:

20 jumping jacks

20 squats

20 dips

20 lunges

10x2 pushups

x2

Then the first two floor exercises of the NYC Ballet.

Sign in to follow this