A lone Monk in the World of Lorthic

In the year of 2020, I am somewhat alone in my journey of better health and fitness, which is not necessarily a bad thing. This initial post might be "TL;DR" (too long; didn't read), but I decided to share here to try and keep myself accountable while sharing in a community of like minded people. 

To give a bit of background of myself, at the end of 2018, I had reached a heavy point of 120.4kg (about 265 Ibs). I had lost my job at the time due to unfair and unforeseen circumstances and I had surgery on my right knee due to an accident at judo training (my third knee operation in a period of 8 years). My right knee has no ACL, 70% of the meniscus is gone, as is a lot of cartilage and I have signs of arthritis in my knee cap, meaning I'll most likely need a knee replacement in the next decade or so. 

However, in 2019, I had hired the services of a qualified strength and conditioning coach. With her help, I was able to lose 22kg (48 Ibs) in less than 10 months, whilst rehabilitating my knee without needing any further surgery. This allowed me the opportunity compete at a nationally sanctioned judo competition, winning a gold medal in my primary division (men's -100kg) and a silver medal in my secondary division (veteran men's +90kg). 

With much reluctance, I chose to take a step away from my coach and no longer employ her services. While she has taught me so much about nutrition, exercise and weight lifting and I would love to recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat, her prices have risen to a level that I can no longer safely afford. That is why for 2020, I am choosing to continue my path alone, armed with the knowledge that my former coach provided to me. I will be doing all of my own gym and nutrition programming.

As of October 2019, my weight was 97.7kg (about 215 Ibs). As of now, I have sadly put on some weight, rising to 107.6kg (237.2 Ibs). I am at the very least back on board the diet and exercise train, and my weight has dropped to 107.0kg (235 Ibs) in a couple of days, which is a good start. I do not have a goal per say, but I have decided that I would like to be under 100kg (under 220 Ibs) as of April 2020. I don't know if this is unrealistic or not, but it's what I'm willing to try. 

Monday to Friday, I will be aiming to consume a calorie deficit diet of about 2,700 - 2,900 calories per day (2,900 on gym days, 2,700 on non-gym days). On Monday to Friday, I will be consuming target macro-nutrients, as close as possible. When the weekend rolls up, I will lay off the macro-nutrients and have "cheat meals", but I will still at least maintain calorie intake and not exceed 2,700. 

Like last year, I will be at the gym four days a week to lift weights in a push/pull ratio. Every session will begin with a major lift, such as squat, bench press, dead lift and overhead press. I have two exclusively upper body days, one mixed day of upper and lower and one day of exclusive lower body. I will be at judo twice a week and will essentially have one day per week of dedicated rest. 

I wouldn't call it strenuous exercise, but I will be walking my dog or/and playing with him at least 5 times a week. He is a near two year old Australian bull-arab and requires regular activity. I am looking to hire the services of a dog walker, to walk him on days when I am at judo. 

Here are some current stats about me: 

Height: 6'3 / 193cm 

Starting Weight: 107.6 kg (237.2 Ibs) -  Sunday 23 February 2020

Current Weight: 105.1kg (231.7 Ibs) - Tuesday 10 March 2020

Goal weight: Under 100kg (Under 220 Ibs) by April 2020, aiming to lose 7kg total (15 Ibs)

Best squat: 180kg (396 Ibs) x 1 (2018) 

Best bench: 130kg x 1 (286 Ibs) (2018) or 100kg (220 Ibs) x 13 (2019) 

Best dead lift: 210kg (462 Ibs) x 1 (2018) or 170kg (374 Ibs) x 9 (2019) 

Best over head press: 75kg (165 Ibs) x 3 (2020) 

I am approaching the end of my first block of training. Here are my planned numbers, which I hope to achieve this and next week: 

Squat: 125kg (275 Ibs) x 5, 140kg (308.6 Ibs) x 1, 150kg (330.6 Ibs) x 1 - success

Dead lift: 182.5kg (402 Ibs) x 1 - success 

Bench press: 115kg (253 Ibs) x 1 - success

Over head press: 77.5kg (170 Ibs) x 3 - success

I will try to post here regularly. Wish me luck. 

• Like 2

Checked my weight this morning. Looking good, everything is on the right track. Down to 106.5kg (234.7 Ibs) from 107.6kg (237.2 Ibs), dropping 1.1kg (2.4 Ibs) in just a few days. Understandably,  it's common to apparently lose a lot of weight quickly to begin with, then things slow down to a more normal rate. 

Last night I had judo, but this week, it is my turn to coach. I share the coaching with two other coaches, and this week it's up to me. One rule we have is that if we are coaching, we are not training. This is for the purpose of safety, so we can keep our eyes and attention focused on our students who are training. So I decided, if I can't train due to coaching, then I'd come into judo extra early and do a short, but high intensity cardio session. Normally, I don't ever do "cardio" with the exception of judo training, so I figured this wouldn't hurt. 

The following exercise was taught to me by a retired judoka based in Tasmania, Australia. He used to compete on the international circuit of judo and is now pursuing MMA. He also competes in strongman competitions and works as a personal trainer. 

So... take three exercises of your choice. It can be anything you like, as long as there is multiple movements and that it's achievable in terms of both exercise and selected weight, if variable. Here are the exercises I selected: 

• Single shoulder press (right hand first, followed by left); 
  • Crunches (elbows to knees);
  • Goblet squats; 

My primary piece of a equipment was a 4kg (8.8 Ibs) medicine ball, which I used in each of the selected exercises.

Do 10 reps of the first exercise, then do 10 reps of the second exercise, followed by 10 reps of the third exercise. Then, do 9 reps of the first, 9 of the second, 9 of the third, etc. and keep going until you reach 1 rep of each. Once you have reached 1 rep of each, you will then afterwards start again, back to 10, going back all the way down to 1. Going from 10 to 1 successfully is 1 "set", and the idea is to do up to 3 sets with minimal to no rest. 

Depending on your selected exercises, it should take you about 15 - 25 minutes, but it's damn challenging and will certainly get your heart rate up. The intensity of course will be up to you, as it will depend on the exercises you select and the load of weight available. In saying that, you don't want to make it too hard. You don't want to select exercises or/and weight that you will physically be unable to do. The exercises and weight load need to be achievable. The cool thing about this exercise as a whole, is that you could honestly do it in your home. All you need is a little bit of space to be able to safely do these exercises. 

I'll be at the gym today. Today is one of my exclusive upper body days. If anyone is interested, here is the plan (excluding warm ups): 

• Barbell bench press: 110kg (242.5 Ibs) x 2 - 5 reps, 5 sets, resting 3 - 5 minutes in between sets;
  • Lat pull down, wide grip: 105kg (231.4 Ibs) x AMRAP (as many reps as possible), 2 sets, resting 2 - 3 minutes in between sets;
  • Seated dumbbell shoulder press, neutral grip: 32.5kg (71.6 Ibs) x AMRAP, 2 sets, resting 2 - 3 minutes in between sets;
  • Tricep skull crusher, one hand/dumbbell: 25kg (55.1 Ibs) x AMRAP, 2 sets, resting 1 - 2 minutes in between sets;
  • Barbell bicep spider-curl: 45kg (99.2 Ibs) x AMRAP, 2 sets, resting 1 - 2 minutes in between sets.
  • Like 1

If anyone is interested, here is my meal plan breakdown for Monday to Friday. I try to have this, or as close to this on a daily basis during the week. On weekends however, I am more flexible with my eating and will indulge in some junk food, but I will at least try to maintain my desired caloric intake. 

Meal 1 (Breakfast): 

• 100g of oats;
  • 30g of isolate whey protein powder;
  • 50g of berries (fresh or frozen);
  • 100ml of full cream milk;
  • 100ml of low sugar cranberry juice;
  • 10g worth of fish oil capsules;

Meal 2 (Lunch): 

• 350g of lean meat (chicken breast or lean minced beef or rump steak with fat removed);
  • 150g of mixed vegetables (white mushroom, white onion, red capsicum, baby spinach);
  • 200g of white potato, or 80g of cooked pasta or rice;
  • 1 flat teaspoon of bone marrow broth;
  • A little bit of extra virgin olive oil and a few drops of sesame oil;

Meal 3 (Snack): 

• 2 pieces of fruit (usually apples);
  • 30g of isolate whey protein powder with water;

Meal 4 (Snack): 

• 30g of isolate whey protein powder with water;
  • Gym days only - 1 flat teaspoon of creatine monohydrate;
  • Gym days only - 600ml of Gatorade;

Meal 5 (Lunch): 

• 350g of lean meat (chicken breast or lean minced beef or rump steak with fat removed);
  • 150g of mixed vegetables (white mushroom, white onion, red capsicum, baby spinach);
  • 200g of white potato, or 80g of cooked pasta or rice;
  • 1 flat teaspoon of bone marrow broth;
  • A little bit of extra virgin olive oil and a few drops of sesame oil;

Here is the macro-nutrient and calorie breakdown of each meal. 

Meal 1 (Breakfast): 

Protein: 48

Carbohydrates: 94

Fats: 23

Calories: 768

Meal 2 (Lunch): 

Protein: 85

Carbohydrates: 44

Fats: 15

Calories: 642

Meal 3 (Snack): 

Protein: 26

Carbohydrates: 46

Fats: 0

Calories: 184

Meal 4 (Snack): 

Protein: 24

Carbohydrates: 38

Fats: 1

Calories: 265

Meal 5 (Dinner): 

Protein: 85

Carbohydrates: 44

Fats: 15

Calories: 642

Total Protein: 268g

Total Carbohydrates: 266g

Total Fats: 54g

Total Calories: 2,622 minimum

The weight loss continues, which is a positive step in the right direction. Down to 106.3kg (234.3 Ibs) from 107.6kg (237.2 Ibs), a total loss of 1.3kg (2.8 Ibs) in just four days. I went to gym yesterday for a heavy (or heavy for me) bench press session. The plan was five sets, with two to five reps each, of 110kg (242.5 Ibs). Here is my result.

Set 1: 4 reps;

Set 2: 3 reps;

Set 3: 3 reps;

Set 4: 3 reps;

Set 5: 2 reps.

I was disappointed that I couldn't achieve five reps on any set, but bench press is honestly my worst lift. 

I'll be at judo today, but I won't be training. Instead, I will be coaching both our junior (kids) class, and our seniors (teenagers / adults) class. So I might come in early again and do another short but high intense cardio session like I did on Tuesday. 

Tomorrow is my final dead lift session of the month, and I will be entering my deload week of training. Tomorrow, I'll be attempting a dead lift of 182.5kg (402.3 Ibs) for one rep. It's been over six months since I have attempted that kind of weight, so we will see how it goes! 

• Like 1

Today's weigh in, 105.6kg (232.8 Ibs), an exact drop of 2kg (4.4 Ibs) in almost five days.

I didn't end up doing the high intensity cardio yesterday as planned, as I had to work late yesterday. When I came home after judo, the kitchen was a bit messy and I had to work on the fridges/rubbish bins ("bin night") so I didn't have time to cook. Instead, I used one of my backup, frozen instant "health" meals.

I also had half a muffin during the day. One of the executive staff at work had bought us all muffins as a thank you for recent events, I convinced her to go halves with me as I am trying to behave myself in the ways of food. The backup meal and the half-muffin probably threw my macro's out of the window, but "life happens" and at the very least, I got my calories in.

What a lot of people don't realise is when you are eating toward your goals, whether it's fat/weight loss, or muscle/weight gain, it is so important to bloody eat. While over eating will have negative effects, the most obvious being weight gain, under eating has its own negative effects, including lack of energy, lack of concentration, muscles not recovering, body fat stubbornly staying on etc.

I suspect my weight loss will probably slow down in the next few weeks, but if I can lose 1 - 2kg (2.2 - 4.4 Ibs) in the next three weeks, that's an excellent start. 

Today I'm at the gym for my final dead lift session of the month/block, which is aiming to lift 182.5kg (402.3 Ibs) for one rep. I'm a bit nervous, because like I said in my post above, it's been over six months since I've attempted to pull that kind of weight off the floor. 

• Like 1
On 2/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, Cr33g said:

However, in 2019, I had hired the services of a qualified strength and conditioning coach. With her help, I was able to lose 22kg (48 Ibs) in less than 10 months, whilst rehabilitating my knee without needing any further surgery. This allowed me the opportunity compete at a nationally sanctioned judo competition, winning a gold medal in my primary division (men's -100kg) and a silver medal in my secondary division (veteran men's +90kg). 

Wow! Very impressive!

On 2/26/2020 at 7:00 AM, Cr33g said:

If anyone is interested, here is my meal plan breakdown for Monday to Friday.

Looks like the standard weightlifter diet :) I like that you include the bone marrow broth. I think we all should eat/drink more of that stuff (as long as you're a meat eater, ofc). Do you make your own?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Wow! Very impressive!

Thank you! I really appreciate that. :)

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Looks like the standard weightlifter diet :) I like that you include the bone marrow broth. I think we all should eat/drink more of that stuff (as long as you're a meat eater, ofc). Do you make your own?

It's a fairly standard diet, for sure. The concept is to try and stick to my calories/macro-nutrients as best I can, while at the same time, eating foods that I enjoy and can eat repetitively without it becoming too boring. So... it's not quite "IIFYM" and it's certainly not paleo, keto, carnivore or any diet "type", it's just... food I like, macros and calories. :P

As for the bone marrow broth, I buy it from the groceries. My coach told me that it can apparently assist with digesting food, good for gut health? It's unfortunately not very cheap, but it lasts me a while. I tend to use a teaspoon worth at least five times a week (aiming for ten) so it generally lasts about a month or so? 

Super quick update. I nailed that 182.5kg (402.3 Ibs) dead lift.

I could have probably achieved maybe one or two more reps, but it's okay. I think in my next block of programming, I may add in three sets of 182.5kg / 402.3 Ibs for maybe 3 reps each or something, a nice 3 x 3 to finish the next block off. Then perhaps aim for 192.5kg (424.3 Ibs) in the training block after that! 

It sounds like a long way away and a slow build up, but trust the process, I suppose. I am aiming to hit a 220kg (485 Ibs) dead lift later this year, perhaps around the July or August mark? 

Edit / Update: Weight's gone up a tiny bit. From 105.7kg (233 Ibs) to 105.9kg (233.4 Ibs) so... not worried yet. 

On 2/28/2020 at 6:57 PM, Cr33g said:

As for the bone marrow broth, I buy it from the groceries. My coach told me that it can apparently assist with digesting food, good for gut health? It's unfortunately not very cheap, but it lasts me a while. I tend to use a teaspoon worth at least five times a week (aiming for ten) so it generally lasts about a month or so? 

Hadn't heard anyone mention gut health before. But who knows? :)  Generally the claim is that it's really good for your joints and for your hair/skin/nails. And just a few days ago I read a study that implied that low levels of collagen might be bad for your brain (bone broth is a good source of collagen).

On 2/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, Cr33g said:

I nailed that 182.5kg (402.3 Ibs) dead lift.

Awesome!

On 2/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, Cr33g said:

From 105.7kg (233 Ibs) to 105.9kg (233.4 Ibs) so... not worried yet. 

Yeah, that could be anything! Good on you for not worrying.

Thank you, Tobbe. :)

I might ease off the "daily posting" and make it weekly or half-weekly, but I'll just throw down one more update before leaving it for a while.

My weight is 106.0kg (233.6 Ibs) which isn't a surprise. My partner's birthday party was on the weekend, and there was a lot of beer and junk food, so I hit the F-It Switch and gouged pretty well. It's okay, I've still lost 1.6kg (3.5 Ibs) in a week, happy with that.

This is my final week of my current gym block, which will serve as both a testing week as well as a deload week. I'll need to spend some time next weekend writing up my next program, but for this week, here are some numbers I am attempting: 

Barbell bench press: 115kg (253.5 Ibs) x 1 rep, 3 sets.

Barbell overhead press: 77.5kg (170.8 Ibs) x 3  reps, 1 set, this will be a new PB. 

Barbell back squat: 125kg (275.5 Ibs) x 5 reps, 1 set. 

Today, I'll most likely start with the overhead press, with squats on Wednesday and then bench press on Friday. 

I've been a bit crook (sick) these past few days so my weight did a little bit of a yo-yo, but it has returned to a point of 105.8kg (233.2 Ibs). While sick, I skipped judo and gym, but I will hopefully be back at judo this evening and the gym tomorrow. 

16 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Great that you're feeling better!

Thank you! :)

My weight has unfortunately fluctuated a little bit these past few days, but I'm weighing in at 106.0kg (233.6 Ibs), as I have over-eaten a few times this week. 

On the plus side, today I went to the gym and did my final session of squats for my current training block. The plan was to hit 125kg (275.5 Ibs) for 5 reps, 1 set. Got it, felt so easy. I decided to try a few heavy singles.

I attempted 140kg (308.6 Ibs) and that too felt really good and easy. I then tried 150kg (330.6 Ibs) for a final, single set and while I got it, my technique felt rough and unpolished. I'm unsure if perhaps I felt mentally intimidated by the weight (because I have not squatted this kind of weight in a long time) but the rep did not feel as smooth or quick as my 140kg / 308.6 Ibs, so maybe I just wasn't physically ready or/and my technique for that last rep sucked. 

Regardless, it gives me a good idea of where to go for my next block! 

My last session for the block will be this coming Monday, where I will be attempting three single sets of 115kg (253.5 Ibs) on the bench press. Hope it goes well, benching is easily my worst lift. 

14 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Maybe that extra food you've been eating gave you some extra power!

Perhaps!

My weight today was a bit questionable, but looks okay I suppose. 105.0kg (231.4 Ibs). 

Having a break from exercise until Monday, then I'll be back at the gym for my last session, starting a new training block next Wednesday. 

Last night was my final session of my current training block, which was essentially a new test for benching. 

I hit 115kg (253.5 Ibs) for one rep, which felt quite smooth and easy. It gave me the confidence to attempt 120kg (264.5 Ibs) which I attempted, but sadly failed. I'm unsure why I failed - maybe I was mentally intimidated by the weight, maybe I was fatigued, it could have been had poor technique or perhaps all of the above? I honestly don't know. Either way, it has given me a goal for my next block of training.

I'm weighing in at 105.1kg (231.7 Ibs) which is okay, the weight is dropping again as I am being better consistent with my food. With my new training block, here are my goals: 

Bench press: 120kg (264.5 Ibs) x 1 

Dead lift: 190kg (418.8 Ibs) x 1 

Squat: 152.5kg (336.2 Ibs) x 1

Overhead Press: 80kg (176.3 Ibs) x 1 - which will be a new personal best

Body Weight: Aiming to be at least 103kg (227 Ibs) in the next four weeks, so hoping to lose at least 2kg (4.4 Ibs). 

• Like 1