Ruthie wanders in a bit late...

I discovered NF and the challenge a bit late to get started on Day Zero.  But hey, better late than never, right?  And I don't want to wait until the next challenge.  I want to start NOW!

A quick about me:

Hi there!  I'm Miss Ruthie.  About ten years ago, I was in hella good shape.  But then I moved away from my fencing team, got injured, and got married (which resulted in packing on what my sister calls "happy cohabitating pounds")  So now I'm about 40 pounds over my "fighting weight", and 60 pounds over what some BS chart says is my "ideal" weight.   (Screw that noise, honestly.  I was sparring out of doors in Florida 2 - 3 x a week and running up hill and down dale.  So what if my butt was big and my thighs didn't gap?  A big butt and thighs on an otherwise on a fit, skinny girl is cute.  ANYWAY....)

I have moved from the muggy swamps of the south to the outdoor walking and hiking paradise of the Pacific Northwest.  I've also become a heck of a shutterbug.  Combining the two - I want to be in good enough shape to go for a hike with a pack full of camping and camera gear and get pictures far off the beaten trail.  I also REALLY like the idea of lifting heavy things.  

That's my overarching quest!  But any good quest must have smaller stops along the way.  So for this challenge, I am focusing on the following:

DIET

1. Increase my protein consumption
    1. Start with 90g/week, and add ten a week from there.  
    2. Add lean protein (probably shredded chicken) to every meal
    3. Learn to properly spell protEIn every darn time.  I before e, my aunt fanny.
  2. Keep calories under control
    1. Keep desk stocked ONLY with healthy foods (no cookies!)
    2. Hit Trader Joe's every Friday and get interesting, pre portioned food. (I even bought a micro fridge for my desk!)
    3. Aim for 1500-1600 net calories/day
      1. I plan to check this number at the end of the challenge and see if my weight has dropped correctly.  If so, great!  If not, time to start weighing all my food.

Fitness

1. Hit the gym 3x/week
    1. 20 minutes on the elliptical, rocking out to Flogging Molly and letting my anxiety chill the eff out.
    2. Do a full body circuit: Lunges/squats - push up progression - hip thrusts - planks
    3. Start NF's pull-up progression (I'm already at a 25lb row!)
  2. TRACK ALL THE THINGS

Level Up My Life

1. Spend 10 minutes cleaning and organizing every night
    1. Use "Fabulous" App to build habit
    2. Ask my husband to help instead of taking it all on myself
    3. Focus on one problem area every night.  Don't try to do it all at once.

QUEST REWARDS!

If I complete some of my bigger goals, my quest giver is offering more than XP!  (ok, so I'm my own quest giver.... where did I put that hat with the yellow arrow?)

1. Complete one perfect pushup (currently I'm doing knee pushups, with elevated hands.  Baby steps here):  Hire a trainer and learn to lift!!
  2. Complete one assisted pullup: Take a climbing class at a local bouldering gym and see if I like it!

So there it is, world!  My goals - and my plans to get there.  Time to level up!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Welcome! That sounds like a pretty ambitious set of goals for your first challenge. Good luck :) 

1 hour ago, Miss Ruthie said:

I discovered NF and the challenge a bit late to get started on Day Zero.  But hey, better late than never, right?  And I don't want to wait until the next challenge.  I want to start NOW!

That's the spirit! 

1 hour ago, Miss Ruthie said:

A big butt and thighs on an otherwise on a fit, skinny girl is cute

They're also fine on fat women and muscular women and men and ponies and whoever, really, if you ask me. Butts for all! 

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

hey're also fine on fat women and muscular women and men and ponies and whoever, really, if you ask me. Butts for all! 

You know what?  You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.  And shame on me for not being body positive.  Working on not internalizing society's BS should probably be another one of my Grand Epic Quests.  I *still* have a "booty that could walk away with your drink", and even though it's attached to a much squishier body it's STILL HOT.  

Butts for everyone!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Miss Ruthie said:

You know what?  You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.  And shame on me for not being body positive.  Working on not internalizing society's BS should probably be another one of my Grand Epic Quests. 

No shame necessary, even/especially if you choose to try body positivity! It could be an interesting and useful quest if you decide to try it, though :) 

8 hours ago, Miss Ruthie said:

I *still* have a "booty that could walk away with your drink"

Hahaha, love it. I'm imagining a bum sweeping around a bar and leaving everyone in shock as it seizes their cocktails. 

• Haha 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Hi, PNW buddy! I hate camping, but I love our evergreen trees and complete lack of stupid snow. It's the best! If you're in the Seattle area, let me know!

Yeah, butts are great. Except cigarette butts, which are nasty.

I love your writing voice, really strikes a chord. Although it's probably the lowest on your list, have you heard of the Fly Lady system? I've been doing her weekly home cleaning, it is really helpful. Good stuff, practical and simple to implement. Also free. It may interest you.

Let me know re: your pull up progression progress! I have loved using the 150lb Serious Steel pull up resistance band, and I'm planning on verrrrry slowly working my way toward an unassisted pull up. Currently I'm at SUPER assisted chin up :D because I am Not Small. Good luck & welcome!

First week down!

Goal updates:

Protein - Averaged 96g/day last week!  Woo!

Calories - Net average 1531/day, 31 over goal, so I'm TOTALLY calling that a win.

Gym - got in 3x last week, and my tracking shows an improvement in every single exercise!  I can do 25lb single arm rows and while my pushups are still on easy mode, I'm able to do more of them!

Cleaning - eh, not doing SO great on this one.  Did SOME tidying and the house DOES look better, but was not as habit-focused as I wanted to be.  

@Lady Morbuks - I'm actually down in the Portland area, unfortunately!  Let me know about your pull-up progress, too!  I've never even attempted one, so this is SUPER new territory for me.  I can do the 25lb rows that NF recommends as a starting point for the pull ups, but I'm finding I'm suddenly really timid about trying the inclined pull up.  Heck, I've been going to this same gym for a year now and this is the first week I've wandered into the free weights area.  Which is bloody silly, there are lots of women there.  There's this one black hijabi girl that does deadlifts, and every time I see her, I feel silly.  She's overcoming WAAAAAY more in the way of funny looks and prejudices than a pudgy white girl, even a Jewish one, and she's out there just absolutely kicking ass.  Never talked to her, but find her totally inspiring.  

• Like 2

Ah, you, too know the lameness of the grey, rainy weather lately. Winter, bah humbug. Still, no snow or ice to contend with = WIN.
I skipped right from doing lots of bent-over rows with 2 dumbbells straight to trying the chin-up with the 150-lb resistance band. There weren't any convenient ways for me to do the middle steps in the NF progression at home and possibly I didn't need to because I was doing pretty heavy rows (2 40-lb dumbbells). Due to my potato farmer build, I'm still pulling up 65 lb over the band limit (which, let's face it, is probably lower than 150 lb because c'mon who trusts companies). It took a first session of just getting used to band and not falling the hell over, which was very funny, then on the second try I got my first chin up. Ever!! I still have to get my partner's help getting my foot into the damn thing. I tell him he's my chin up valet like Jeeves :D He's supportive literally and figuratively, lol.
Most importantly, I finally figured out what that lower bar next to the pull up bar was for = the inclined pull up. You know how they're always in pairs on playgrounds and in parks. My friends and I always just used to do somersaults over it :D 

Second week results:  TPK.

So yeah.  Last week SUUUUUCCCCKKKKED.  Only got one of three workouts in, and totally blew up my calorie intake one day, and then proceeded to track nothing at all for the rest of the week (though I did make an effort not to go over - I just didn't track it, so I don't know if I did.)

ON THE PLUS SIDE, however, definitely made progress on my life quest.  Dealt with some serious emotional build up, which is what was getting in my way all week.  I'm autistic, so I process emotions... weirdly.  Like, most people will have something happen, feel an emotion about it, and deal with the emotion.  I have something happen, and then days later realize I felt an emotion about it.  And then a few days after that I'll figure what the emotion was.  And then later I'll deal with it.  Meanwhile, I keep adding new emotions to me "figure this out" box.  And then I end up dealing with weeks or months worth of emotions all at once.  According to my husband, most people operate with a streaming data system, while I work on a burst data system.  So got a whole bunch of emotions sorted out, and feeling much refreshed and ready to take on week three.

I have also added a layer of accountability.  A friend and I have agreed to begin demanding timestamped workout selfies from each other.  (We have very different schedules and different gyms, so we can't actually go together.)  But within 15 minutes of the time we each SAID we'd be at the gym, the other one had BETTER be getting that selfie coming in.

• Like 1

I think you actually did fairly well. You did 1 workout, which isn't as many as your goal was, but one is still more than zero. And even if you didn't track, it sounds like you were still mindful of your eating. And , woot for making progress on your life quest!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien