Jump to content

A first time for everything


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

I decided to just jump in the challenge now instead of waiting for three weeks. I am a young man. I see myself as a nerd and recently decided to work on my weight. A friend guided me in the direction of NF, this is how I stumbled on the forum.

Being overweight has been a huge problem most of my life. I have been born with spina bifida occulta. For those who don't know what it is: 

Quote

Spina bifida is a birth defect in which there is incomplete closing of the spine and membranes around the spinal cord during early development in pregnancy.... Occulta has no or only mild signs, which may include a hairy patch, dimple, dark spot or swelling on the back at the site of the gap in the spine.

 

My parents and docters only found out about my handicap when I was almost 2 years old, since I didn't start walking. I want to tell more about this but I've just recently asked my parenst to tell me everything that happened... so that will be for in the future.

 

23 years later and I walk. I walk with a cane. Most of the time I do not really need it, but I feel safer with it. And on bad days it is my lifesaver. BUt I walk to less. I do not move. During my teenage years I had to bike to school and back and  I had 2 hours of gym. This kept my weight more or less in check. I was always on the heavier side, but now, a few years later and working from home mostly, and the weight piled up.

 

Ok, sorry, that was kind off heavy. But I had to tell it or everything else would have been pointless.

I'm basically a fan of most fantasy books, movies, series,... Lord of the Rings is probably my favorite movie series of all time. Other stuff in no particular order: Anne Rice's books, Stephen King, Star Wars, Avatar. Deathnote, the Witcher, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Marvel, DC Comics,... and probably other stuff as well.

Not a big gamer but I did and do play some games: AC, the WItcher, LoL, Hearthstone, The Long Dark, SKyrim, Fallout 3, Frostpunk, Surviving Mars, This War of Mine.

 

My all time favorite game is chess.

 

My Main Quest is to lose weight and find my limits. Since I've always been overweight I don't know what my limits will be if the weight is off.

 

My goals for this challenge:

 

Diet: 

 

Goal 1: try OMAD (one meal a day) 

one of my biggest problems is overeating, I can't eat small meals because then I start snacking on stuff. I did Intermittent Fasting before and I know I feel really fine fasting for longer times.

 

Goal 2: drink 1l water every day

 

Fitness

 

Goal 3: complete the NF bodyweight workout 3x a week

 

That's it, not sure when and how often I will update, I think that I just will feel when it's right to do so.

  • Like 3
Link to post

Today I went to Nadine, my physiotherapist. 

I spoke with her about my plans. She is the person who knows me the best and longest, apart from my mother, so she was really helpfull and motivated. 

We did the workout together, she made some corrections and explained to me why.

 

She made a warm-up for me, based on excercices we often do together, a few are actually overlapping with the NF warm-up.

She scrapped all the jumping jacks, most explosive movements are to hard on my back and my knees and won't help me. She adviced me in finding other ways of cardio I would enjoy.

 

What I did as the actual workout

 

1 round:

 

10x squats

10x knee-pushups

10x 10kg dumbell rows

15 seconds plank

 

I could do more squats and maybe even normal push ups but I recently got an inflamation in my right foot that isn't healed yet, so I should take it slowly with putting weight on it or moing it in uncomfortable ways ( like push-ups).

 

She also adviced me on skipping breakfast for now and eating two meals a day, pushing those meals closer untill I only eat one meal. She said that I often go all in and then lose all my motivation because my goals are too hard. I have to agree with that so that's why I decided to follow her advice and fast everyday untill 14:00.

  • Like 3
Link to post
3 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

Awesome!

welcome to the forum Zeno and Yes. I LOVE CHESS.

very awesome game.  

 

do you do OTB or  internet blitz?

Both, on mondays I meet with some people to play live. But I often played online as well, this is some time ago though.

Link to post

awesome we should play some time...

(although, I'm pretty rusty.)

 

I use to play obsessively at chess.com and... i still like that site.

 

but,

chess isn't quite as much of a big deal as it used to be.  but I still really LOVE the game; I love the way it challenges our ability to think and predict and assess things.

 

 causal LIVE OTB chess was always my favorite.

I like the relaxed friendly nature of the game... where you're playing with someone whom is friendly enough that you can both work out the tactical and strategic theme of game... (after the game has ended ofc)

 

I had a good older friend of mine and we played once a week for nearly 2 years like that.

unfortunately he got cancer and died.

those were great times for me though....

---

as for the workout.  congrats on the good routine.  I know nothing of SB; but I think its wonderful that you aren't going that prevent you from being strong and healthy.  when you mention cardio

do you have another seperate routine for that?  or are you merely trying to do your workout fast enough to bring your heart rate up?

  • Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

 

Link to post
57 minutes ago, Zeno said:

. She said that I often go all in and then lose all my motivation because my goals are too hard

Just another little thing to Highlight

 

this is VERY common and I agree with it Wholeheartedly!

 

they saying is don't try to run before you walk.... it is SO SO common to feel like you need this HUGE program; when what you NEED to learn to do is to , learn how to do something REGULARLY

 

consistency is Everything! in fitness/healh/weight loss....

 

NOTHING make much of a difference unless it happens for weeks and weeks.  

 

she is very, VERY right about that. we see it all the time....

  • Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

 

Link to post
16 hours ago, Zeno said:

23 years later and I walk. I walk with a cane. Most of the time I do not really need it, but I feel safer with it. And on bad days it is my lifesaver. BUt I walk to less. I do not move. During my teenage years I had to bike to school and back and  I had 2 hours of gym. This kept my weight more or less in check. I was always on the heavier side, but now, a few years later and working from home mostly, and the weight piled up.

 

Ok, sorry, that was kind off heavy. But I had to tell it or everything else would have been pointless.

I'm basically a fan of most fantasy books, movies, series,... Lord of the Rings is probably my favorite movie series of all time. Other stuff in no particular order: Anne Rice's books, Stephen King, Star Wars, Avatar. Deathnote, the Witcher, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Marvel, DC Comics,... and probably other stuff as well.

Not a big gamer but I did and do play some games: AC, the WItcher, LoL, Hearthstone, The Long Dark, SKyrim, Fallout 3, Frostpunk, Surviving Mars, This War of Mine.

 

 

Oh, hi! It's great that you're reading to find out what you can do. Yay for LOTR, HP, Doctor Who, Sherlock, SKYRIM, Fallout, all comic-book genre movies and I'm currently reading the Ann Rice novels but furtively.

 

16 hours ago, Zeno said:

Goal 1: try OMAD (one meal a day) 

one of my biggest problems is overeating, I can't eat small meals because then I start snacking on stuff. I did Intermittent Fasting before and I know I feel really fine fasting for longer times.

 

2 hours ago, Zeno said:

She also adviced me on skipping breakfast for now and eating two meals a day, pushing those meals closer untill I only eat one meal. She said that I often go all in and then lose all my motivation because my goals are too hard. I have to agree with that so that's why I decided to follow her advice and fast everyday untill 14:00.

 

I've found that when I try to eat dramatically less than I need, I will end up 'backlash eating'--reaching for things I didn't intend to eat, with a feeling that I've lost control. I think if you want to succeed long term, it's best to start with a modest caloric deficit that your body won't rebel against. So regardless of whether you eat one meal or two, I think you should make sure that your total calories are reasonable, so that you don't end up desperate and hungry within a couple of weeks.

  • Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
2 hours ago, TGP said:

awesome we should play some time...

(although, I'm pretty rusty.)

 

I use to play obsessively at chess.com and... i still like that site.

 

but,

chess isn't quite as much of a big deal as it used to be.  but I still really LOVE the game; I love the way it challenges our ability to think and predict and assess things.

 

 causal LIVE OTB chess was always my favorite.

I like the relaxed friendly nature of the game... where you're playing with someone whom is friendly enough that you can both work out the tactical and strategic theme of game... (after the game has ended ofc)

 

I had a good older friend of mine and we played once a week for nearly 2 years like that.

unfortunately he got cancer and died.

those were great times for me though....

---

as for the workout.  congrats on the good routine.  I know nothing of SB; but I think its wonderful that you aren't going that prevent you from being strong and healthy.  when you mention cardio

do you have another seperate routine for that?  or are you merely trying to do your workout fast enough to bring your heart rate up?

Couldn't find my old chess.com account, but if you want to play: zenov361

Well, my condition atm is so bad that my heart rate goes up if I do anything physical. I spoke about the cardio with her and she adviced a rowing machine, will look into it. 

 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I've found that when I try to eat dramatically less than I need, I will end up 'backlash eating'--reaching for things I didn't intend to eat, with a feeling that I've lost control. I think if you want to succeed long term, it's best to start with a modest caloric deficit that your body won't rebel against. So regardless of whether you eat one meal or two, I think you should make sure that your total calories are reasonable, so that you don't end up desperate and hungry within a couple of weeks.

Sounds reasonable. that's why I am skipping only breakfast by now. Allthough I tend to overeat the moment I start to eat. So for me it's best to just keep my eating window as small as possible.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Welcome Zeno! We're challenge twins: I'm doing the NF beginner bodyweight workout 3x per week too. It's kicking my butt in a good way. I make sure to drink LOTS OF WATER in the couple hours beforehand, as I find that being properly hydrated & having some kind of protein-y snack make a huge difference in my ability to do all 3 rounds vs. fizzling out after 2.
I also love Skyrim, Anne Rice is a guilty pleasure (she's such a hoot!), and Fallout 3. I wish I had the patience for chess, it's a deeply cool feeling to get onto that intellectual plane for funzies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
12 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

Welcome Zeno! We're challenge twins: I'm doing the NF beginner bodyweight workout 3x per week too. It's kicking my butt in a good way. I make sure to drink LOTS OF WATER in the couple hours beforehand, as I find that being properly hydrated & having some kind of protein-y snack make a huge difference in my ability to do all 3 rounds vs. fizzling out after 2.
I also love Skyrim, Anne Rice is a guilty pleasure (she's such a hoot!), and Fallout 3. I wish I had the patience for chess, it's a deeply cool feeling to get onto that intellectual plane for funzies.

Well, I did it only once and only 1 round and it is already heavy for me. Only the rows are pretty easy for me. Probably my weights are not heavy enough.

Link to post
20 hours ago, Zeno said:

Couldn't find my old chess.com account, but if you want to play: zenov361

Well, my condition atm is so bad that my heart rate goes up if I do anything physical. I spoke about the cardio with her and she adviced a rowing machine, will look into it. 

 

Sounds reasonable. that's why I am skipping only breakfast by now. Allthough I tend to overeat the moment I start to eat. So for me it's best to just keep my eating window as small as possible.

regarding the chess

 

I think I will probably have to create a new account.  no big,

 

whats convenient for you?

 

lets set a time/place...

 

I'm in the Eastern USA, so weekday evenings are convenient.  over the weekend though I could probably be more flexible.

 

also would you prefer a few faster games? or maybe a long slower game?

I can play anything from G5 to G30.... faster than game in 5 minutes and it becomes too much like guessing.

  • Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

 

Link to post

I was thinking about a reward system. To keep me going. I am a big fan of whiskey. So for now, every day I do perfectly and I don't cheat I will treat myself a glass of whiskey.

 

A few notes, previous day went well.

 

A was sore as hell today, but I did the workout. Asked my brother for a proper weight for the rowing exercice. Apparently I am a lot stronger then anticipated since a 10kg dumbell was challenging enough. He promised me to keep looking into the workouts with me.

 

I cheated yesterday on some candy though, feels bad.

 

The day before I ate chili around 14:00. But my stomach couldn't handle the spiciness. Around dinner I wasn't hungry at all, so just skipt that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
14 hours ago, Zeno said:

A was sore as hell today, but I did the workout.

Nice! Same thing happened to me the first couple times I did the NF BW workout after doing a different program.

Embrace the satisfaction of bragging to everyone you meet about how you are SO SORE because you exercised. Use in moderation with coworkers or they'll eventually hate you, but embrace it otherwise. "Aw man, I'm so sore from this new workout I'm doing" to the gas station attendant, grocery store checker, everyone on the internet... :D As a friend once told me, never underestimate the power of feeling smug as motivation to work out again. 

What kind of whiskey? I'm interested in brand recommendations. I don't care for peat-y scotch, but everything else is very nice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
13 hours ago, Lady Morbuks said:

Nice! Same thing happened to me the first couple times I did the NF BW workout after doing a different program.

Embrace the satisfaction of bragging to everyone you meet about how you are SO SORE because you exercised. Use in moderation with coworkers or they'll eventually hate you, but embrace it otherwise. "Aw man, I'm so sore from this new workout I'm doing" to the gas station attendant, grocery store checker, everyone on the internet... :D As a friend once told me, never underestimate the power of feeling smug as motivation to work out again. 

What kind of whiskey? I'm interested in brand recommendations. I don't care for peat-y scotch, but everything else is very nice.

 

Haha, I say it often, don't have a job though, so can't irritate coworkers ;)

 

At the moment I have a bottle of Highland Park 12 and Ardbeg. Ardbeg is probably nothing for you, quite a lot of smoke and peat. Highland Park 12 is very mild but I like it as a normal whiskey. Monkey Shoulder is something you might look into if you like it a bit more sweet/caramel like.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Lady Morbuks said:

Ooh, I tried some Monkey Shoulder last week and I really liked it. I was also mid-glass on some barrel-aged stout, though, so not exactly a clean palate.

Thanks for the recs!

image.png.08dcc482b1dff88e47481c399618230e.png

You're welcome, I keep you up to date if I find/buy new whiskeys

 

Link to post

Thursday and Friday:

 

I'm feeling already a difference in how hungry I am around 14:00 compaired to how hungry I was in the beginning of the week.

Back then I used to be ravenous, now I'm most of the time already surprised by the time. Not sure if I will be able to keep my goals for sunday, I have a familiy party and don't know how late, and if there will be any food... It's often such a social thing... And people expect you to eat, for some reason, if you are a certain size...? They would be worried if I wouldn't on a party...

 

My workout today was also pretty good, I'm happy I can take a break for two days. Will be needed, for next wekk I will try to do normal push-ups instead of the knee push-ups.

 

My hydration is still on point. 👌

  • Like 2
Link to post

Hey Hey!

 

I have been abscent, sorry for that. Previous days have been a bit busy.

 

Sunday was the family party. It was a sugar overload for me, which my stomach is still screaming about. 

 

Monday's workout I changed my knee push-ups to regular push-ups. I could do 7. Next time I try 8.

 

Today was a bit of a weird day. I had to help move my mother's atelier. I had to bike her stuff to the new atelier with my cargobike. In the end I did bike 30 km from which 12 km my cargo bike was fully loaden. In summary: I don't have legs anymore. 

 

This is why I did not workout today and did eat some breakfast. Depending on how I feel tommorow I try to do my workout... Maybe I just skip one.

  • Like 2
Link to post

Hi Zeno! I'm really excited by your challenge. It's so great that you were able to get input on the exercise routine from your physiotherapist and also some advice (and a weight) from your brother.

 

Social events with food are always tricky. Hang around the forums and you will find that people use all different kinds of strategies to deal with those situations...but there is no one-size-fits all solution because the problem is kind of tough. I guess in general the thing that helps the most is to think about how you will handle the situation before you get into it. So sometimes it might make sense just to give yourself a pass for the day and know you will eat off plan. One day isn't the end of the world.

 

As I said, there are a lot of strategies, and I'm sure you've thought of many of them yourself. If you want some brainstorming on this, just ask....lots of us can jump in with suggestions.

  • Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

 

Link to post
16 hours ago, Xena said:

Hi Zeno! I'm really excited by your challenge. It's so great that you were able to get input on the exercise routine from your physiotherapist and also some advice (and a weight) from your brother.

 

Social events with food are always tricky. Hang around the forums and you will find that people use all different kinds of strategies to deal with those situations...but there is no one-size-fits all solution because the problem is kind of tough. I guess in general the thing that helps the most is to think about how you will handle the situation before you get into it. So sometimes it might make sense just to give yourself a pass for the day and know you will eat off plan. One day isn't the end of the world.

 

As I said, there are a lot of strategies, and I'm sure you've thought of many of them yourself. If you want some brainstorming on this, just ask....lots of us can jump in with suggestions.

 

Thanks, I think my best bet would be to just have a controlled off-day in those situations.

  • Like 1
Link to post

I did 20 squats and 8 push-ups in my workout today. Felt a slight pain in my hip/upper leg. Feels like something is blocked. I have this often, my physiotherapist always says that stretching works best if I have this. 

Sadly I won't be able to ask her for help following weeks since she is taken ill by the corona virus. So that's a bummer...

Link to post
On 3/13/2020 at 9:00 AM, Zeno said:

I did 20 squats and 8 push-ups in my workout today. Felt a slight pain in my hip/upper leg. Feels like something is blocked. I have this often, my physiotherapist always says that stretching works best if I have this. 


Hey, can you be a bit more specific? Is the pain only happening when you squat, or all the time? Where exactly? Hip flexors? 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Harriet said:


Hey, can you be a bit more specific? Is the pain only happening when you squat, or all the time? Where exactly? Hip flexors? 

It was like something was pushing something in my hip flexors yes. And if I squated it began to hurt.

Link to post
5 hours ago, Zeno said:

It was like something was pushing something in my hip flexors yes. And if I squated it began to hurt.


Ah, okay. Well, stretching while warming up for squats fixed my tight hip flexors. And you can try angling your feet differently--make sure they're not too out or too forward, because that could cause pain in the hip. And you can try different stance widths to see what's comfortable.

  • Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post

Depressing times here.

 

I can't do my job right now. We can't go outside, only for walks or physical activity. But I am to scared to do so. My mum has bad lungs so I dread the idea of taking the covid-19 virus home.

I still shop for my family and an older lady together with our groceries, so that's the only thing which earns me a bit of money (I'm used to do this for her twice a week for three years now. and gives me a bit of physical activity. Today I actually went by some homes to pick up some selfmade masks whoch I brang to the nearby hospital.

Being depressed made me forget to workout this wednesday.  Also I think I forgot to drink whatever two days. Not sure... But I try to stick again to it tommorow...

 

I wish everybody luck these days! Even if your government didn't put out a quarantine or lockdown I advice you to stay home as much as possible and keep your distance from other people. Also wash your hands!

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines