Beginner program

So I've recently just started at the local gym, as part of joining I was given a "consult" with a PT. Below is the routine she designed for me for 3 days a week. I'm really just after a 2nd opinion, as money is tight I can't justify constant PT sessions. My main goal is to give this dad bod some definition. 

I'd also like a solid cardio program for the other 2 days of the week I go. 

Leg Press 70KG 12 REPS x 3 SETS

Shoulder Press 35KG 12 REPS x 3 SETS

Lat Pulldown 50KG 12 REPS x 3 SETS

Leg Extension 50KG 12 REPS x 3 SETS

Chest Press 40KG 12 REPS x 3 SETS

Seated Row 45KG 12 REPS x 3 SETS Leg

Raises BW 10 REPS x 3 SETS

I wonder why Deadlift or Squat are not in her program?

maybe she is concerned that without supervision you would struggle some to do these types of exercises with good form?  (even if True, you still do have to HAVE to do good form with lots of other exercises you mention)

I'm really not sure about weight lifting plans without those lifts.  they are considered really GOOD lifts that build lots of muscles especially in your posterior chain. my understanding is that Leg presses do not really replace them.  I have seen people Online say that any program without the deadlift and squat is unbalanced and unoptimal. (unless your dealing with past injuries that make them dangerous for you)

the 12reps also stand out a little.  that is a lot of reps for a set!

many plans use only 5 with the thought that this allows you to push more weight and gain strength faster.

-------------

OTOH;

I am NOT a PT.  they are trained to take into account your goals, background and strengths in a way that can't be duplicated over the internet.

I'm not sure How comfortable I would be for you to alter your routine to better fit my generic, understanding of what makes a good weight lifting program.

creating those workout plans (given personal goals and strengths/injuries)  is called Programming and it is ... solidly above my pay grade.

BUT  if you don't like her program. (for some reason)

I am doing a weight lifting program called stronglift; also "starting strength" is also widely recommended.  Zillions of newbs have gotten strong on these programs.  its not even that different. though it is simpler with less exercises.

so no good answer to your question. (sorry). do her plan or pick another starting point.

but do SOMETHING as becoming fit and strong will surely help you immeasurably. GL and welcome to the forum.

• Thanks 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

On 3/3/2020 at 3:49 AM, Bayds said:

I'm not an expert or a trainer, but here are a few thoughts:

- 12 reps is on the higher side, and may result in form breaking down within the set; you might want to consider slightly heavier weight with reps between 5-8/set instead

- there are all machine movements, which is not necessarily bad; but you may want to explore some free-weight stuff as well in the future

- the leg extensions & presses work the same target muscles, so I'd probably only pick one; personally, I'd just try goblet squats instead of either of them

- IMO you're missing a hinge/hip dominant movement; this could be glute bridges, hip thrusts, deadlifts, whatever you like

- not sure what kind of raises you've been recommended? if it's calf raises, I'd skip them (again, that's just me, but they're not really necessary in a beginner program)

If you want something that you can follow long-term, you may want to consider something like StrongLifts or Starting Strength (including some kind of rows, otherwise it's not quite balanced), which will help give you some guidelines for when/how to increase the weight and the rep/set/frequency/etc. recommendations. If you'd like a little more info on designing workout routines: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

• Thanks 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm really not sure about weight lifting plans without those lifts.  they are considered really GOOD lifts that build lots of muscles especially in your posterior chain. my understanding is that Leg presses do not really replace them.  I have seen people Online say that any program without the deadlift and squat is unbalanced and unoptimal. (unless your dealing with past injuries that make them dangerous for you)

Personally, I disagree with this. Squats and deadlifts are NOT necessary movements. I WOULD recommend having at least one each of a knee dominant (ie. often squats) and hip dominant (eg. traditionally often recommended deadlifts) movements, but they don't have to be those specifically.

Deadlifts especially aren't really necessary, so long as you're already hitting the same body parts with other movements; they are also pretty taxing on the nervous system, which can become an issue with certain programs. 

ok, well, I'm not an expert.

I think my deadlift and especially the back squat has done LOADS of good things for me; MORE than any of the other lifts...

but I'm not an expert.  I really wasn't sure I should commentate on something written by a PT. 

that still seems a little crazy to me. thanks for the detail post (as you often do).

Thanks everyone. I feel like this is some sort of intro to the gym hence the cable machine based exercises, but I'm looking at moving forwards. Although free weights scare the crap out of me just because I don't want to do more harm than good. 

I might stick with this routine for a week or so just to find my feet a little, I'm not lacking in strength, I swing spanners for a living. 

And move onto something more like the things suggested here. With the help of YouTube and some reading here I think I've found some valuable information. 

• Like 2

good luck.

as a Newb myself I can sympathize with feeling like free weights are too hard to figure out.  and the worst of the worst! the barbell !...

but you know,

I am SOOO much stronger since I got over that.  I'm no brawny dude, but I've made progress I'm sure I wouldn't have made if I had just stuck it out with the machines.

and I adamantly think you CAN get good enough at doing any of these exercises from youtube vids; if your patient and careful.  start light, listen to your body and read the comments.  every big compound lift have lots of and lots of explanation on the web.  google it, read/watch carefully,reread it to be sure, then be BRAVE!

and I'll debate that with anybody! ha.

PS. if you read up from Rebellion fitness (which has LOTS Of guiding articles from our founder steve; you'll see He's adament too about using FREE weights and keeping machine workouts limited).

https://www.nerdfitness.com/about-2/rules-of-the-rebellion/   see #3

and espacially

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/whats-better-free-weights-or-machines/

so you see,

we're Supposed to say that free weights and exercises with them are better. 

PS.  and Please consider post vid for comment and further help.  lots of people have the expertise to check out your form.

8 hours ago, Bayds said:

Thanks everyone. I feel like this is some sort of intro to the gym hence the cable machine based exercises, but I'm looking at moving forwards. Although free weights scare the crap out of me just because I don't want to do more harm than good. 

Machines aren't inherently bad, the biggest 'con' with them is that they can force your body to move through a very specific range of movement, which may/may not be aligned to your individual physiology and joint anatomy. Cables are A-OK in my books though, since they don't really force any angles; truthfully 3/4 of my own workouts these days are on cables or with a landmine bar. Free weights are great because they create a greater demand for stabilisation, which arguably should be beneficial long-term for joint health and overall mobility & resilience; but again, that doesn't mean 'free weights good/machines bad'. ;) Use the tool that works for your needs at the time.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:49 AM, Bayds said:

I missed this bit before, but my personal bias is either for something like swimming, hiking outside, or using a rowing machine at the gym; they all have other benefits and generally involve more whole body movement rather than just running/cycling. You could also try circuit training, prowler sled work, or loaded carries for more strength oriented cardio.

That being said I'd also recommend that you ensure that your nutrition is dialled in and your recovery strategies are in place so as to avoid overworking your body and potentially increasing the risk for injury.

- eat at or close to your TDEE

- minimum 0.7-1g of protein for every lb of bodyweight a day

- fruits & vegs

- mostly whole foods, if you can manage it

- sleep 7+ hrs/night

- use tools like meditation, yoga, gratitude journaling, etc. to manage day-to-day stress

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 2:49 AM, Bayds said:

So I've recently just started at the local gym, as part of joining I was given a "consult" with a PT. Below is the routine she designed for me for 3 days a week. I'm really just after a 2nd opinion, as money is tight I can't justify constant PT sessions. My main goal is to give this dad bod some definition. 

So, this is a single workout, not a routine. Is there a plan for increasing the weight and/or reps? (You must increase the average difficulty of your workouts over time if you want to get fitter. you can't keep doing the exact same workout).

Also, most workouts I've seen would have you alternating exercise variations. So it would be more common to do e.g. leg press, shoulder press, lat pull down on one day, then leg extension, chest press and seated row the next time you go in. I wonder what the reasoning is behind doing it this way? There's greater variety within the workout, but every workout is the same as before. I wonder if that would be more likely to lead to overuse injuries? I guess I wouldn't want to do leg press every two days for my knees' sake. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

@Harriet like I said this is all new to me, I'm just looking at making some sort of progress, I mentioned earlier I'll run this for a week or so. I've already began increasing weights but lessened reps per set. I'll ask one of the trainers at the gym about showing correct dead lift and squat techniques before I build a workout around them. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bayds said:

@Harriet like I said this is all new to me, I'm just looking at making some sort of progress, I mentioned earlier I'll run this for a week or so. I've already began increasing weights but lessened reps per set. I'll ask one of the trainers at the gym about showing correct dead lift and squat techniques before I build a workout around them. 

Good, good. Just thought you might ask the trainer what the plan is (for increasing weight/reps) if you have a second chat with them. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.