• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

misto87

year long marathon training program suggestion

Hey so I'm looking to do a gradual marathon training program over the course of a year.  My friend recommended hal higdon's programs but the novice program I saw is 18 weeks and I'm looking for a gradual program over the course of the year. I've had issues with shin splints and knee pain in the past when attempting to run and I think that's because I try to do too much at the beginning. I'm willing to pay for an app that tracks my runs and things like that (it sounds higdon's app does that).  Generally i run on the treadmill at my local gym but Minnesota also has nice trails that I may train on in the summer/spring.  I actually ran a marathon years ago at the encouragement of a friend and barely finished due to the above issues that made my training inconsistent, so I'm hoping this may help by doing something more gradual at first.

Anyone have any programs they'd recommend? 

So, I'm not a runner, and feel free to ignore this if it doesn't make sense, but since you think you have problems doing too much at the beginning, what about starting with a shorter distance? If the marathon program is 18 weeks, you have plenty of time (almost 8 months) in which you could train for a couple of shorter distances first. Maybe start with training for a 5k and if all is going well, move on something longer.

• Like 1

Greetings fellow Minnesotan.

If you’ve run a marathon, you have more experience than most folks here except@Xena .

More personal bias would be to spend the time over-preparing on base miles. A quick google shows that Hal Higdon has a 12 week base building program that leads into his 18 week program. That might be just the ticket.

What race are you aiming for?

• Like 1

I think Sloth's advice is spot-on. Ranger Hal also has a great point about targeting a shorter race to start.

What is your running schedule like now (if any)?

• Like 1

I would not think it an ideal path. At least not as a slowed marathon program. These programs are a set length because people tend to burn out. My mother passed 4 days before my marathon. Obviously, I did not run. I immediately did another training season. I ran the marathon but I was just destroyed. Emotionally and physically.

How about break the goal up. Run a 5k program (unless of course you're already there), then 10k, half, then train for a full. Would take you a year, with some wins and fun in the form of races along the path.

Shin splints prevention = Strength train and proper form.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 8:45 PM, Dilnad said:

I would not think it an ideal path. At least not as a slowed marathon program. These programs are a set length because people tend to burn out. My mother passed 4 days before my marathon. Obviously, I did not run. I immediately did another training season. I ran the marathon but I was just destroyed. Emotionally and physically.

I would agree that there are more thoughtful ways to periodize a training program over the course of a year, but it would help to know a little more about what kind of training @misto87 is already doing and if he has any intermediate goals. Jack Daniels (the running coach, not the other one) has some classic but still good thoughts on this. My first thought would be base-building, getting to 20-25 miles per week and then starting to work in some strides and threshold training.