• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

My area of research isn't even tangential to COVID, I just like to read broadly and sometimes it comes in handy. The number of times I have surprised colleagues with "I remember reading something about [phenomenon] in [unrelated field] do you think that might apply here?" and had that end up being the solution isn't trivial. My recreational reading usually has nothing to do with my current area but it pays to be widely read.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chemgeek said:

From several papers I have read, this being one (published in Allergy): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7300712/

Thank you, this looks interesting and I will read this later.

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

Oh! And it might be that people with asthma and other respiratory illness/in the risk group (and their loved ones) are significantly more cautious than those that do not have such illnesses.

That would only impact the rate of asthmatics who are exposed/infected though, not how severe their symptoms are, no? And yes, everyone I know who has asthma, including myself, is absolutely paranoid about avoiding exposure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chemgeek said:

(3/275 hospitalized patients in the cited study vs 12-16% of general population -

SF, you are right, but that is how I read this comparison

1,09% of hospitalized patients are asthmatics

12-16% of the general population are asthmatics

If the amount of asthmatics exposed/infected is lower, it it follows that there are less that CAN get severe enough symptoms to be hospitalised

So we need numbers on how many *infected* asthmatics got hospitalised

But maybe I am reading that/thinking wrong?   

• Like 3

That's fair. & There are a few studies that suggest there's no difference between asthmatics & nonasthmatics in terms of hospitalization rate (though aside from the one I cited and a few out of China I have seen any suggesting the same about death rate, nor have I been able to find any stats on whether asthmatics as a group have a lower infection rate). The studies I have read do seem to suggest that of those with severe enough to be hospitalized covid-19, asthmatics are less likely to die if their airway obstruction is reversible (ie there's no permanent obstruction of their lungs.) and that asthmatics are overall less likely to be admitted for severe covid

But even that isn't certain enough that I want to stake my life on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear that my reasoning is fair. 

Either way, the positive interpretation of the studies are a lot better to think about IF you get infected, bc that helps with recovery right? :) 

Otherwise it is always better to just be safe always yeah haha

Also, 100% agree that broadening your horizon almost always helps you be better in your field

• Like 1

So unrelated to covid - anyone have XPs with pulled quads? 

I pulled a quad yesterday (ow) and it's not showing Big Scary signs of severe pull (no pop, can use the muscle, don't have an obvious lump or deformation of the muscle, etc). I am showing a few signs of a moderate pull (mild swelling, muscle weaknesses, spasms for about 1.5 hours after initial injury) Given I have pulled muscles before and know first aid for it and that COVID exists and I am avoiding doctor's offices on principle ATM, I am intending to self-treat at home unless it gets worse or isn't getting starting to get better in a week. That it's a quad is unfortunate because it's way harder to rest pulled leg muscles than a shoulder, pec, or bicep. 

Curious of your experience and what bad ideas an overly enthusiastic type like myself who tends to push too much too quick should avoid. I assume squats and star lunges are a no for a week ish for example. :P

No quad experience, but as I said elsewhere, I usually find that the first day or two, there's a lot of trauma to the area that makes it all ambiguous, and the best approach is to just get the inflammation down with a ton of ice and rest for a day or two. Then you have a better idea what you're really dealing with.

• Like 1