Kettlebells and Contagion: Tanktimus Alliterates in These Uncertain Times

Well, what an interesting place the world is in right now. I used my GL powers to post this thread early, though some of you can only see it when the forums went live. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, this is magic. All that to say the world as it is right now may not be the world as it is when the forums go live, so my apologies if anything is out of date. 

As some of you may know, I work as a hospital chaplain and volunteer as a police chaplain. That means I'm paying both personal and professional attention to the pandemic. It also means that I will still be going to work and won't be as isolated as many during the time while we try to flatten the curve of infection rates. As I prepared to write my challenge, I knew I would address the virus and the measures to combat it. The alliteration I mentioned from the title refers only to the title. Schools are shut down at least through April 3rd, and may be closed longer than that. My wife is a teacher, and is doing a form of working from home. Fortunately she will get her full salary during the shutdown. We are very blessed as we will both keep getting paid during the uncertainty. As a matter of fact, I'm going to call the virus situation The Uncertainty for the rest of this post. I may or may not remember to keep up with that for the rest of the challenge.

Before we focus on the challenge at hand, let's look at lessons learned from the previous one.

Kettle Bell Workouts went really well. I stayed consistent with them, and they are working for me. I'll keep going with those.

I started Invisalign to straighten my teeth. That means I have trays that I change out each week that work to straighten my teeth. Most teeth have knobs glued to them to give the trays something to grab onto and push or pull. I can only eat with the trays out, and floss and brush before putting the trays back in. That inconvenience, coupled with the fact that the trays need to be on 21 hours a day or more to be effective, means I'm limited in when how often I eat. So far it hasn't been too bad, but as I write I only have one week of experience with them in.

Yoga is proving to be a challenge, I made some semblance of doing yoga most days, but it wasn't for very long.

Moving forward, here are my goals:

Do the Nerd Fitness Beginner Kettlebell workout on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. It has you do Halos, Squats, Overhead Press, Swings, Rows, and Reverse Lunges. Doing the prescribed reps for each exercise constitutes 1 round. Two challenges ago the goal was to start, but not go past the first round. Last challenge the goal was to start the second round, but not do more than the second round. This challenge the goal is to do the first two rounds and start the third. If I complete the third round that's fine, but the goal is just to start it. The Uncertainty won't affect this much because I own some Kettlebells.

Nutrition: This one is nebulous, both because I'm still getting used to the Invisalign trays and because the grocery stores here haven't fully recovered from panic buying. I'm going to try to cook as much as I can and bring food from home to work. Beyond that, I may have to adapt pretty frequently due to The Uncertainty. Our city just ordered that all restaurants go to carry out or delivery only, so hopefully that will curtail our restaurant activity.

Yoga: Twice a week I will do Yoga of some kind. This is where I want to put the focus of habit making. Starting it is easy enough. Now I want to focus on getting some quality and quantity.

Walking: As long as it's safe, I'll go for a walk with my daughter strapped to my chest (She's six months old, so strapping her on isn't as weird as it would be in a few years) once a week.

• Like 23

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This is the second challenge I've commented first on your thread...strange times indeed we are in.

My thoughts are with you, please be safe and take care of you and your family 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 3/19/2020 at 1:45 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

All that to say the world as it is right now may not be the world as it is when the forums go live, so my apologies if anything is out of date. 

Remember the days we didn't have to caveat anything when publishing early using GL magic. 

Have a wonderful challenge and I hope you and yours stay safe and healthy. 

• Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Well I can at least provide reassurance on the subject of invisalign! I know your experience may not be exactly the same as mine, but the strangeness really does wear off after a while. And try not to freak out too much about the effect on eating. I took mine out significantly more than strictly recommended (most of the morning on weekdays, so I could drink coffee at my desk, usually when I was talking on the phone, any time I had to speak before a large group) and I was always ready to move forward to the next trays on schedule. Definitely be strict about it, especially at first, but don't worry.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 3/19/2020 at 7:57 PM, RES said:

This is the second challenge I've commented first on your thread...strange times indeed we are in.

My thoughts are with you, please be safe and take care of you and your family 

Thank you very much. Same to you friend.

10 hours ago, deftona said:

Remember the days we didn't have to caveat anything when publishing early using GL magic. 

Have a wonderful challenge and I hope you and yours stay safe and healthy. 

I 'member. Same to you. Asthma buddies gotta stick together.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Well I can at least provide reassurance on the subject of invisalign! I know your experience may not be exactly the same as mine, but the strangeness really does wear off after a while. And try not to freak out too much about the effect on eating. I took mine out significantly more than strictly recommended (most of the morning on weekdays, so I could drink coffee at my desk, usually when I was talking on the phone, any time I had to speak before a large group) and I was always ready to move forward to the next trays on schedule. Definitely be strict about it, especially at first, but don't worry.

I have noticed a slight sibilant lisp if I'm aware of how my tongue feels while speaking. If I forget the trays are in it goes away (or I stop listening for it). They told me the only problem with coffee with the trays in was staining, and frankly, that's a small price to pay for drinking coffee when I want it.

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Lurking per usual - hugs to the family 

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I plan to maintain a caloric deficit this challenge, so visiting this thread while hungry is going to be quite a struggle.  I will do my best, though :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Lurking per usual - hugs to the family 

Thanks friend!

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I plan to maintain a caloric deficit this challenge, so visiting this thread while hungry is going to be quite a struggle.  I will do my best, though :) 

vKYsuFj.gif?noredirect

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Huzzah for Kettlebells!!!! #quaranjacked

Boo on Yoga. I mean, you can do it brother.

Keep safe my friend.

I plan to. Same to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've started using my ol' kettlebell too thanks to, well, *gestures vaguely*

Here for thiiiis!!!

• Like 4

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

I’m here......

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

2 hours ago, loire said:

I've started using my ol' kettlebell too thanks to, well, *gestures vaguely*

Here for thiiiis!!!

kfCWy97.jpg

39 minutes ago, Rinna said:

I’m here......

Thank you!

Today is a good day. We had church online, and it was very encouraging. We had lunch delivered because I didn't want to cook in order to help a local business. We then realized the grocery order we placed for curbside pickup is for the 31st and not Tuesday like we thought, so we braved the grocery store. We had to wait in line for 26 minutes to get into the store, but that was because they were maintaining a count of people in the store. It wasn't that bad. We got a lot of stuff (I haven't spent that much on a single grocery trip in...gosh, it was probably at least 5 years. We didn't hoard, but we got a lot of things we don't normally keep on hand just to have them (one of each in most cases). We have food to last till the pickup next week. Little Bit was amazing, didn't fuss for the whole trip. Sra. Tanque had her in the carrier the whole time, that is probably why. The baby napped for the second half of the store. I made dinner, which was tortellini soup. I cooked 1 lb Italian sausage, a minced onion, a zucchini (or a courgette if you are in an English speaking country without a long tradition of Italian immigrants) cut into quarter rounds and a chopped red bell pepper all together with salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar. When they were done I added a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and 32 oz chicken broth, bringing it to a boil. I then added 12 oz cheese tortellini and plenty of dried basil. There was garlic bread on the side. It was good.

Oh, and as Whiteghost hinted, for the newcomers (and old-timers who don't pay attention) don't come here hungry.

• Like 9

I'll be around.  Happy Challenge!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Following!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I'll be around.  Happy Challenge!

Welcome!

9 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Following!!

Welcome! How is distance teaching?

23 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Happy to be following along!

Glad to have you.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, it's almost inevitable that I will come here hungry... but I love you and parenting buddies need to stick together, amirite? So here I am to follow along~

• Thanks 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

10 hours ago, starsapart said:

Unfortunately, it's almost inevitable that I will come here hungry... but I love you and parenting buddies need to stick together, amirite? So here I am to follow along~

I am blessed to have you as part of my tribe. I love you too.

2 hours ago, Shadri said:

HI TANK 💕

HI SHADRI!

Today is a good day. I started off with KBs, the first day I did three rounds, and I finished the 3rd round! Now, pukey the clown did not visit, but he drove past and made eye contact to let me know he knows where I live. However, given that I'm not gonna up the weight til after the challenge is over, I'll be fine after doing the workout with the third round 15-18 times. I went to work, which was eerily calm. We still only have one COVID patient. We are not doing any elective surgeries, and folks are staying away from the Emergency room unless they actually have, you know, an EMERGENCY like it says in the big red letters out front. As such, we are at about 50% capacity right now. Having said that, based on what Italy has dealt with, the number of beds in the hospital isn't as important as the number of ICU beds and ventilators to go with them. Before the crisis there were plenty of times the ICU was overflowing. Hopefully the protective measures being implement on a social level are enough to flatten the curve. Our city just announced a shelter-in-place type declaration, along with the county. It goes into effect Tuesday night. Fortunately, individuals providing child care may still do so, so the way we read the order we can still have Sra. Tanque's parents help out with Little bit four days a week. It was Sra. Tanque's mother's birthday, so we had them over (still allowed as the order doesn't go into effect till tommorow at Midnight) for pizza and hangout time. Little Bit got her first pizza toppings, which she gummed with great enthusiasm, at one point sucking flavor off of a piece of chicken quite loudly. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Now, pukey the clown did not visit, but he drove past and made eye contact to let me know he knows where I live.

An entire horror story in a single sentence right there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Little Bit got her first pizza toppings, which she gummed with great enthusiasm, at one point sucking flavor off of a piece of chicken quite loudly. 

The imagery here is adorable.  Glad your hospital isn't going insane with cases.  I hope it stays that way!!

• Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

5 hours ago, deftona said:

An entire horror story in a single sentence right there.

Yeah, I like to think I stared him down enough to make him drive away.

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

The imagery here is adorable.  Glad your hospital isn't going insane with cases.  I hope it stays that way!!

Me too. I'm kind of bracing for the shoe to drop, but MAAAAYYYBEEE our precautions will flatten the curve.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I am blessed to have you as part of my tribe. I love you too.

giphy.gif

Sounds like you are doing great! Crossing my fingers that your hospital keeps on top of it.

starlet loves pizza, too. She's very enthusiastic on the rare occasion she gets it. 😁

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Now, pukey the clown did not visit, but he drove past and made eye contact to let me know he knows where I live. 

Lol.

I'm glad your wife is getting her salary and that you have a nice KB routine to keep you well. No restaurants, that's true. I thought quarantine was going to make me fat because I can't lift and I'm not walking as far and I might eat out of boredom. But on the other hand, no restaurants. That's probably going to reduce my calories by a thousand per week. Huh. We'll see. 

• Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 hour ago, starsapart said:

giphy.gif

Sounds like you are doing great! Crossing my fingers that your hospital keeps on top of it.

starlet loves pizza, too. She's very enthusiastic on the rare occasion she gets it. 😁

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Lol.

I'm glad your wife is getting her salary and that you have a nice KB routine to keep you well. No restaurants, that's true. I thought quarantine was going to make me fat because I can't lift and I'm not walking as far and I might eat out of boredom. But on the other hand, no restaurants. That's probably going to reduce my calories by a thousand per week. Huh. We'll see. 

The thing is restaurants here are still allowed to deliver and people can go get curbside.

• Like 3