Sara Kingdom's Regeneration Challenge

sarakingdom

Regeneration

• Laugh hard
  • Run fast
  • Be kind

That's it. Laugh hard, run fast/lift heavy, be kind.

This challenge is the originally planned one from December, and fortunately it fits our brave new world with only minor changes. For instance, we need to acknowledge something that's come up in the past few weeks, and goes along with this challenge.

And that was the reaction to only one life needlessly lost through negligence. I foresee the need to ride out a lot of anger this year. Time to start now.

Also, living circumstances have changed for all of us. There will be projects.

• Like 6

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

First project: Be a doctor

Rule one of dying: don't.

Rule two: slow [the virus progress] down.

That has been 100% my approach to the death plague over recent weeks. I'm glad to see it's Doctor-approved.

I've retreated to my storeroom and locked the door. Time to take what I know and make adjustments.

To Do

1. Cut more cleaning rags for increased demand
  2. Move the hallway landing strip closer to the door
  3. Replace the landing strip mail processing station with a decontamination station
  4. Start taking more vitamins C and D
  5. Track hydration, it's still below par
  6. Saline for congestion
  7. Count handwashing
  8. Scrub the tub
  9. Scrub the bathroom sink
  10. Mop the floor
  11. Wash all the bedding
  12. Refill the spray bottles
  13. Refill the soap bottles
  14. Batch cook and freeze meals for a rainy week
  15. Batch cook and freeze rice for miso soup for a rainy week
  16. I think there's some pumpkin taking up space and being lumpy in the freezer; let's turn that into soup and freeze it for that same rainy week
  17. Set up telemedicine

Pre-Lockdown Priorities

1. Try to get my hands on a pulse oximeter for the kit
  2. Get more isopropyl when it's available
  3. Find or replace my digital thermometer
  4. Set up prescription delivery and submit

In Progress

1. Bonus: make a smart data station to track my temperature and stuff
  2. Put chopsticks everywhere I snack
  3. Prep the flu kit
  4. Get facecloths and make mint-infused moisturizing solution for my workspace, because I need help to stop touching my face

Done

1. Buy ingredients for cooking
  2. Get flu kit contents
  • Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Second project: redecorate my console room

It's traditional, with any regeneration, to redecorate the place.

My current time capsule is set up for a very different lifestyle than the one I will have for the foreseeable future. Time to adjust.

Pre-Lockdown Priorities

1. Get some accelerometers
  2. Maybe get a fresh backup drive
  3. Do the census crap

To Do

1. Set up smart home app on DVR
  2. Fix DVR tuner
  3. Set up bathroom audio player
  4. Clean last season out of the space garden
  5. Set the space garden up for a new season
  6. Plant seeds
  7. Prepare new mushroom jars
  8. Contact community garden
  9. Hang gauze curtains and open the windows, because I can have fresh spring air
  10. Organize the bathroom shelves
  11. Organize bathroom cabinet
  12. Organize kitchen cabinets
  13. Organize the closet
  14. Clean out freezer
  15. Clean final fridge drawer
  16. Move work clothes into storage
  17. Plan home office changes
  18. File the boxes

In Progress

1. Rewire the media center
  2. Put out a bowl to display my giant purchase of oranges
  3. Replace wifi and fix
  4. Get a 3D printer and spools of PLA
  5. Get some meat in the freezer and more eggs in the fridge
  6. Get some salsa and cheese

Done

1. Maybe a steam cleaner
  2. Get some coffee, chocolate, and tea selection for sanity
  3. Get some coconut oil
  4. Order a bike or kick scooter for local transit
  5. Order new laptop

• Like 1

Third project: General badassery and challenge support

First things first, I'mma say all the words inside my head. I'm fired up and tired of the way that things have been.

There is a part of me that can thrive in these idiotic dystopian times. Haven't seen that part of me in a while. I've kind of missed her, felt more fragile without her. But back then, I didn't have the skills to be her. I'm a bit more resilient now, and much, much more annoyed. The regeneration needs to fit the times.

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind. And do not underestimate the power of anger, held close and channeled.

Pre-Lockdown Priorities

1. TBA

To Do

1. Rip the new DVDs
  2. Make a new hydration/food/vitamins schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  3. Make a new sleep schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  4. Make a new virtual socializing schedule to more strongly reinforce good mental health habits
  5. Make a new exercise plan
  6. Make a new meditation plan
  7. Make a media consumption plan
  8. Make a new media-making plan
  9. Make a new cleaning schedule

In Progress

1. Curate clothes down to a work-from-home uniform

Done

1. TBA

The last time I posted this next life goals video, it was a little ironic in its focus on goals over human connection. The world has changed, and self-isolating is the name of the game. It's a bit less ironic now, my friends. (Not entirely. But a bit, oh, yes.)

• Like 2

Week 0 Day 0

Laugh hard: Done

Run fast: work fast in getting prepped for the extra tasks on hand

Be kind: in progress

Today's goals:

• Hydrate
  • Call utility 1
  • Move the hallway landing strip closer to the door
  • Saline for congestion
  • Batch cook some rice
  • Review and place grocery order (note: get onions and drink mixers and something for curry)
  • Art therapy hour

Deferred:

• Fold laundry
  • Pack away work clothes
  • Pack away extra place settings and dishes
  • Make pumpkin ginger soup

In Progress:

• Start taking more vitamins C and D
  • Review seed sprouting
  • Vacuum the floor
  • Clean off my work table
  • Make a schedule
  • Wash the dishes
  • Hydrate
  • Make a new hydration/food/vitamins schedule
  • Make a new sleep schedule
  • Make a new cleaning schedule
  • Hang the curtains

Done:

• Hydrate
  • Fill a spray bottle
  • Get a bowl for the oranges
  • Call my bank
  • Rip some new DVDs
  • Count handwashing
  • Track hydration
  • A necessary rest
  • Update utility 2
  • Start prepping to batch cook meals
  • Start organizing the freezer

One of my strategies for handling the extra load of stuff we have deal with now, and also to fix my extreme dislike of repetitive cleaning, is to pack away what I'm not going to need for the next 6-12 months. This includes nearly all work clothes, dress clothes, shoes (especially the non-washable ones), plus dishes for more than one person. Those things are currently not useful, so I'm removing them from the space of things that generate work for me.

My extra carby ten days did see my weight go up about nine pounds; it's mostly not real, and will come off when the carbs drop. Apart from some of the sick meals I'm prepping, which I wanted to be easily digestible while suffering from death plague, all the carbs are gone aside from oranges, and I can make those work. My shelter in place food is mostly low effort stuff; another use of time I want to dispose of under these circumstances. But it's going to fit my macros and be fairly healthy.

I have ordered espresso/shot glasses. If I'm gonna be the only restaurant/cafe/bar in town for 6-12 months, I need to support all those functions better.

Right. Time to go run fast, and knock out some of this task list.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 1

Laugh hard: TBA

Run fast: TBA

Be kind: TBA

Today's goals:

• Hydrate
  • Call utility 1
  • Move the hallway landing strip closer to the door
  • Saline for congestion
  • Batch cook some rice
  • Start prepping to batch cook meals
  • Review and place grocery order (note: get onions and drink mixers)
  • Art therapy hour
  • Fold laundry
  • Pack away work clothes
  • Pack away extra place settings and dishes
  • Make pumpkin ginger soup
  • Rip DVD

In Progress:

• Start taking more vitamins C and D
  • Review seed sprouting
  • Vacuum the floor
  • Clean off my work table
  • Make a schedule
  • Wash the dishes
  • Make a new hydration/food/vitamins schedule
  • Make a new sleep schedule
  • Make a new cleaning schedule

Done:

• TBA
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, sarakingdom said:

Rule one of dying: don't.

I wholly approve of this rule

On 3/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, sarakingdom said:

Find or replace my digital thermometer

An important PSA on this one: Have at least 2 digital thermometers.  They are not always accurate and false positives can lead to a lot of unnecessary stress.  We discovered that one of our digital thermometers is both the most convenient to use but also the least reliable, so we spent a couple of sleepless nights worrying about the readings until we started do concurrent checks with multiple thermometers. 

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

An important PSA on this one: Have at least 2 digital thermometers.  They are not always accurate and false positives can lead to a lot of unnecessary stress.  We discovered that one of our digital thermometers is both the most convenient to use but also the least reliable, so we spent a couple of sleepless nights worrying about the readings until we started do concurrent checks with multiple thermometers. 

The main problem is that digital thermometers, like soap, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, seem to be almost completely unavailable. If I can't find mine, I might be a little screwed on that front. Finally I just decided this was why I knew how to solder electronics, so I will have something. (And something waterproof, so I can calibrate it against ice and boiling water. Important science tip: calibrate things.)

But it's also lower stakes here. There's zero government response to fever (or indeed anything else right now), so the only thing to actually do is take Tylenol and keep staying home.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

But it's also lower stakes here. There's zero government response to fever (or indeed anything else right now), so the only thing to actually do is take Tylenol and keep staying home.

Really???  Here body temperature is the primary travel currency.  Every door you go through has someone with a thermometer checking you, and if anyone is running high, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to quarantine.  I can't even pick up a package from the delivery guy without getting a temperature scan.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

50 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Really???  Here body temperature is the primary travel currency.  Every door you go through has someone with a thermometer checking you, and if anyone is running high, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to quarantine.  I can't even pick up a package from the delivery guy without getting a temperature scan.

I think it depend where you go. In the US especially, the lack of direction from the Federal government has left a lot of states, cities, and businesses to their own devices, and as a result, everyone does things a bit differently depending on how seriously they take things and what their priorities are. My employer mandated temperature scans at all building entry points almost a month ago, and that was considered extreme at the time. 

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V

52 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hon, our government has directly moved into "We expect everyone back at work in fifteen days, because this is hurting our stock portfolios." (That's not a joke. That's coming from the top.) Zero federal agencies or emergency provisions have been activated, because they're anti-free-market. No one can actually get coronavirus tests unless they're a professional athlete, and that's also not a joke; doctors have been spending up to fifteen hours arguing on their patients' behalf on the phone just to fail to get a test for the patients. Some cities have managed to set up drive through testing, but I'm certain I could count them on my hands. In most cases, the states are doing nothing. Cities and companies, and a few states, vary wildly, as Scalyfreak says. There are a few city and state lockdowns, but not many. People are still going in vacations and spring break. Major news channels are telling people the fuss is a partisan hoax, and they shouldn't give in to the enemy; so are quite a few senators.

For most of the country, we're literally on our own with zero infrastructure, next to zero relevant medical care available, and a government actually trying to do the most dangerous things it can for the sake of profit.

Have I mentioned that this challenge was going to contain a bit of rage?

• Like 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 3

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's extreme 😮 

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Hon, our government has directly moved into "We expect everyone back at work in fifteen days, because this is hurting our stock portfolios." (That's not a joke. That's coming from the top.)

But this is crazy reckless. Which country are you talking about?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

But this is crazy reckless. Which country are you talking about?

The one you and I currently live in.

Spoiler

Even as confirmed U.S. infections rose to nearly 44,000 and the death toll topped 500 Monday, Trump expressed frustration with the fast-mounting economic carnage, including soaring unemployment and a plummeting stock market.

“If it were up to the doctors, they may say, ‘Let’s keep it shut down for a couple of years. Let’s shut down the entire world,’” Trump said. “And you can’t do that with a country, especially with the number one economy anywhere in the world, by far.”

Source: LA Times

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V

5 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

The one you and I currently live in.

Oh. Would that countermand the shelter in place orders? 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

13 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh. Would that countermand the shelter in place orders? 

I am not sure. I am not an expert on this, but typically, the federal government sets the bar, and all states have to be at that level as a minimum. States may do more than required, none may do less. By that logic, a directive from the White House can countermand a directive at the state or city level only by directly ordering states to lift shelter in place orders. Even that is iffy though. Again, not an expert on federal or constitutional law here, so don't quote me on this.

I am honestly trying not to pay attention to this, partly because I can't change whether it will happen or not, so focusing on it right now will only feed The Flame with volatile fuel. But also partly because I don't give two shits what they say, I am going to be responsible and shelter in place regardless of whether I am ordered to do so or not. Because I understand science and data, and I understand that sheltering in place, self-quarantine, and social distancing, saves lives. The more we social distance and quarantine, the more lives we will save in the end, and that matters to me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I am not sure. I am not an expert on this, but typically, the federal government sets the bar, and all states have to be at that level as a minimum. States may do more than required, none may do less. By that logic, a directive from the White House can countermand a directive at the state or city level only by directly ordering states to lift shelter in place orders. Even that is iffy though. Again, not an expert on federal or constitutional law here, so don't quote me on this.

On paper the US system of government is designed to give maximum power to those governments closest to the people. That means let local governments decide what works for them because their needs will be different than other local governments, and a one-size-fits-all declaration from a centralized federal government will not be as effective. In Texas, for example, the Governor issued certain less restrictive orders, explicitly leaving the door open for local city and county governments to issue more restrictive orders as the situation warrants. He claimed that large metropolitan areas will need stricter controls than sparsely populated rural counties. Whether or not that was the right decision, he was correct that Texas is a large state with many counties, each with unique situations.

As with any system of government, the problem lies in the fact that unwise or immoral people can screw things up royally. The system above works well if no one in authority gets greedy, panicky, or stupid. I think I'm within the bounds of propriety to point out Sara Kingdom's opinion is that people in authority are not, in fact, acting benevolently, calmly, or wisely. I am not here offering an opinion. 

It's also true the framers of the constitution never envisioned the CoVid -19 crisis and did not model the system of government in the U.S. with that in mind. There is precedent in times of war for the Federal government to take drastic action. Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus during the Civil War, and Roosevelt did it for WWII. I can't remember whether or not Wilson did it in WWI. Each time, the Federal government gave back the power, but each time there is the fear that it won't. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On paper the US system of government is designed to give maximum power to those governments closest to the people. That means let local governments decide what works for them because their needs will be different than other local governments, and a one-size-fits-all declaration from a centralized federal government will not be as effective.

Interesting. I can see the appeal of flexibility. Though of course collective action problems can only be solved with authority and coordination. And we have several pressing collective action problems.

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Tank, you’re forgetting that we’ve become a corporate oligarchy.

Agreed. Although as well as corporations there are obscenely rich individuals fixing things to their liking.

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's also true the framers of the constitution never envisioned the CoVid -19 crisis and did not model the system of government in the U.S. with that in mind. There is precedent in times of war for the Federal government to take drastic action. Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus during the Civil War, and Roosevelt did it for WWII. I can't remember whether or not Wilson did it in WWI. Each time, the Federal government gave back the power, but each time there is the fear that it won't. 

This is what makes it iffy. The rules change in times of war and other national emergencies.

I need a minimum 24-hour moratorium on this subject in my thread. I have other things that need to get done, and no spare mental capacity for it. (Not your fault, the news burnt me out by lunchtime.)

When the subject does reopen, my preference would be that the analysis of precedent, educating, and jaded humor not happen here. Those things are all legitimately important - I've opened other threads for education because it is important, and a bit much to put in personal threads - but they're all things I personally burn out on fast. I need to keep those primarily in other threads. They're not my priority in a thread that is designed around protecting from burnout.

One of the things I've been becoming tremendously aware of in all my online forums in the past few weeks, and am increasingly aware of as we get deeper into physical social isolation, is how important recognizing emotional labor is going to be for our own mental health, and for recognizing when we're helping with and when we're adding to the emotional labor of others. This plague shit is a massive and long-term source of emotional labor for all of us. Bigger than we've seen. We're going to have to pace ourselves, and also be more careful of the emotional labor we put on others. That's hard to do, because it involves two very difficult skills: reading the room closely through a low-bandwidth medium, and seeing our own emotional state clearly enough to know when we don't have good control of our own emotional boundaries. I get it wrong all the time. It's hard to see yourself clearly when you're losing it. It's hard to guess when you're hitting a mix of tones that lightens people's loads. It's not going to be all sweetness and light out there; it would be just as tone-deaf of us to communicate that way. But I think a lot these days about how to communicate in ways that respect my emotional resources and those of other people. I think a lot about noticing when I don't have the former well-managed, because that's when I'm most likely to do something that harms the latter.

I definitely slipped a little on good emotional boundaries when getting snarky with WhiteGhost. In a different setting, that'd be a one-off dark quip between friends, but there's no getting around that it was actually a bit of a vent, rather than a measured response, and I understand why it opened the door. It was definitely me being overwhelmed by the emotional labor I was doing, and unfortunately it prompted more. This is currently more emotional labor than I can do. Legalistic wrangling, educating, and jadedness without any additional contribution to balance it, are high emotional labor for me. (And in some cases, I'm suspecting a few other people in this conversation are showing signs of being overwhelmed their own emotional labor.) We can't and shouldn't avoid the evil death plague here, but personally, I need the framing, or at least a leavening, of a productive or altruistic discussion here, whether personally or on a bigger scale.

That's the goal I would like to have for discussions here, for this challenge in particular. Be kind. Be useful. Be thoughtful. Be responsible. For yourself and for others, in all of those ways. You're welcome (and under the circumstances, practically expected) to swear, be angry, be afraid, be confused, be numb. But above all, be kind. Right now, we're responsible for the well-being of ourselves and other human beings in unprecedented ways.

So I know I started it, but I'm going to be a capricious monarch. Bar's closed; please finish your bottles of Corona and (understandably salty) lime, and pay your tabs in the form of Doctor Who memes.

Time for a little thread cleanser in here, conveniently with a teensy little memory wipe:

• Like 7

It's your thread. You run it the way you gotta.

Besides, you went to all the trouble to set up a whole other thread for us to talk about things like were being discussed before the decision to shut it down.

Speaking at least for myself, I'll do my best to respect your boundaries on this. I hope you feel safe in calling any of us out if we do it wrong, even (and especially) me. We're here to help each other and be good to one another, no matter what that looks like.

• Like 2

Your house, your rules. Moratorium in effect. :)

2 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I hope you feel safe in calling any of us out if we do it wrong, even (and especially) me. 

And if not, that's a problem with us, not with our host... ;) 

• Like 2