Sara Kingdom's Regeneration Challenge

sarakingdom

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

It's your thread. You run it the way you gotta.

See, you get me. I am at heart benevolent yet ruthless dictator. It's why I spend so much time hanging with Vetinari.

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

Besides, you went to all the trouble to set up a whole other thread for us to talk about things like were being discussed before the decision to shut it down.

It's an important subject. Talking about it is important. Supporting each other is important. I absolutely want these discussions to happen.

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

Speaking at least for myself, I'll do my best to respect your boundaries on this. I hope you feel safe in calling any of us out if we do it wrong, even (and especially) me. We're here to help each other and be good to one another, no matter what that looks like.

I did feel a little awkward trying to put finer boundaries on it without being hypocritical, until I realized it was an example of something else we should talk about, and I was okay being the example of the problem. Figuring out good mental hygiene so we can not be overwhelmed is not trivial. It's an evolving thing. It's a new discussion on this scale of circumstances. The important thing is to put the discussion on the table. We will all screw it up, have different tolerances, and all have days where we can't even. What we need is the language to talk about it, discuss what we need, and even start to understand it ourselves.

For instance, I'm aware I haven't been 100% on my game in other people's threads, in this regard.  I could get uncomfortable at the hypocrisy of shutting it down here while being a little more freely "well, it wasn't often that I vented, I thought it was okay" there. And that's not the world's worst defense, honestly; there was an attempt to keep it on the right side of the unhelpful line. But I'd prefer the defense to be, "I was being mindful, but I missed the mark", not "I thought just a little bit of non-mindful emoting would be fine". If I screw up, I want it to be while doing my best. Being mindful about my emotions and those of others is always the right thing to do. To get there, I really have to admit that I'm not always on my game, and I'm fallible. Sometimes my best is flawed. The more aware I am of that, the more mindful of what's going on I can be.

• Like 7

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I did feel a little awkward trying to put finer boundaries on it without being hypocritical, until I realized it was an example of something else we should talk about, and I was okay being the example of the problem. Figuring out good mental hygiene so we can not be overwhelmed is not trivial. It's an evolving thing. It's a new discussion on this scale of circumstances. The important thing is to put the discussion on the table. We will all screw it up, have different tolerances, and all have days where we can't even. What we need is the language to talk about it, discuss what we need, and even start to understand it ourselves.

Along with the willingness to talk about it, and then to listen when someone else needs to talk as well. :) 

Good mental health is going to become increasingly challenging, and there is nothing hypocritical about recognizing that and starting to lay the groundwork for it now, before it becomes urgent. Forming new mindfulness habits and better mental hygiene practices is not going to be easy. We should be doing it now while we have the focus and energy, because by the time we desperately need it, we are also going to need those habits to be in place already.

• Like 4

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

I love the Doctor Who clips.

What do you have planed for your Art Therapy hours?

I'm planning to start with writing, and move on to visual art when I get more working space cleared and organize my supplies.

If you're not a Doctor Who viewer, and I recall you might not be, I highly recommend it. It's humanitarian and not at all cynical, in a way that's especially refreshing right now, when it's easy to be numb to those. It's almost literally a mental health measure, as far as I'm concerned.

Seasons 5-10 are favorites of mine, and because a new team took over in season 5, it's a good starting spot without any running subplots.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Good mental health is going to become increasingly challenging, and there is nothing hypocritical about recognizing that and starting to lay the groundwork for it now, before it becomes urgent. Forming new mindfulness habits and better mental hygiene practices is not going to be easy. We should be doing it now while we have the focus and energy, because by the time we desperately need it, we are also going to need those habits to be in place already.

Yeah, exactly. It's going to be a challenge, and sooner than we think. It will likely be a major universal challenge, and preparing now is important.

And for me, dividing what I do in my challenge thread and what I do elsewhere is about recognizing what's compatible with growth and what's not, what I can bring into my house and live with versus what I need to visit sometimes and be able to walk away from.

I think it's doubly strange this challenge, because I'm not used to bringing the anger home and living with it. Ordinarily, I wouldn't. But I need to find a way to do that safely, because it's not going anywhere. That involves me doing some learning about what keeps that compatible with mental health. That's actually okay with me. Anger isn't always bad. Sometimes it's the fuel to get things done. You can use it well, or use it badly. The difference between a rocket and a bomb is how you channel the explosives you're strapped to. Figuring out how to use that well instead of getting burned by it is an implicit part of this challenge. And, I think, well matched to my challenge goals. If those three things are true, I suspect I'm doing pretty well.

(And fortunately for me after this challenge, Discworld is amaaaaaazing on the subject of usefully channeled anger. It's practically the subtitle of the entire series.)

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ah, sorry for bringing in the bad news.

No worries! No way to have known, and me being short on resources for it is just a thing that's sometimes going to happen.

Normally I'd say "I'm just trying to keep it positive", but in fact that's subtly different from what I'm trying to do, because the standard model of positivity is a little out of touch with, well, what's going on, and that's the only reason I had to talk through it. I'm just trying to keep it productive. And mindful.

And, man, the cards are one of my favorite things ever.

• Like 2

I like seeing your model for dealing with a new working/living situation during the current unfolding crisis. It is quite different from my process. That is only to be expected because my work, living situation and mental challenges are different from yours.

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

If you're not a Doctor Who viewer, and I recall you might not be, I highly recommend it. It's humanitarian and not at all cynical, in a way that's especially refreshing right now, when it's easy to be numb to those. It's almost literally a mental health measure, as far as I'm concerned.

Seasons 5-10 are favorites of mine, and because a new team took over in season 5, it's a good starting spot without any running subplots.

That's good to know. I stopped watching TV when I was 16 and never took it up again. There is so much Doctor Who that it is overwhelming to contemplate watching it all. Dumbledore likes to watch episodes of shows. I may suggest we put these on our list.

Even without aikido taking a lot of my free time, I still don't feel like I have much slack. I'm not as stressed as I was and I'm doing more fun things. I have quite a lot of fiber arts projects to work on and books to read before I get bored.

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think it's doubly strange this challenge, because I'm not used to bringing the anger home and living with it. Ordinarily, I wouldn't. But I need to find a way to do that safely, because it's not going anywhere. That involves me doing some learning about what keeps that compatible with mental health. That's actually okay with me. Anger isn't always bad. Sometimes it's the fuel to get things done. You can use it well, or use it badly. The difference between a rocket and a bomb is how you channel the explosives you're strapped to. Figuring out how to use that well instead of getting burned by it is an implicit part of this challenge. And, I think, well matched to my challenge goals. If those three things are true, I suspect I'm doing pretty well.

^^^^^^^This

Good discussion of how to manage emotions and mental health under new and challenging circumstances.

• Like 2

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think it's doubly strange this challenge, because I'm not used to bringing the anger home and living with it. Ordinarily, I wouldn't. But I need to find a way to do that safely, because it's not going anywhere. That involves me doing some learning about what keeps that compatible with mental health. That's actually okay with me. Anger isn't always bad. Sometimes it's the fuel to get things done. You can use it well, or use it badly. The difference between a rocket and a bomb is how you channel the explosives you're strapped to. Figuring out how to use that well instead of getting burned by it is an implicit part of this challenge. And, I think, well matched to my challenge goals. If those three things are true, I suspect I'm doing pretty well.

Learning what we need to do to adjust to a new situation and then doing it, is probably indicative of being mentally healthy somehow. If wellbeing is all about being able to do what you need to do to take good care of yourself in the face of changing and unpleasant circumstances, then you're in a pretty good spot. :) 

And what you said about anger resonates with me, because this is what my pyromancy reframing is all about. Embrace the flame so I can harness it and make it work for me, instead of trying to fight it or block it or suppress it, and inevitably end up consumed by it.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

On 3/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, Mistr said:

Even without aikido taking a lot of my free time, I still don't feel like I have much slack. I'm not as stressed as I was and I'm doing more fun things. I have quite a lot of fiber arts projects to work on and books to read before I get bored.

Same. All this nonsense has added some load, until I figure out how to get everything in place. Preparations to make, conversations to have, chores that are suddenly urgent to catch up on. It's a lot. I'm looking forward to the "doing more fun things" phase.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, Scalyfreak said:

And what you said about anger resonates with me, because this is what my pyromancy reframing is all about. Embrace the flame so I can harness it and make it work for me, instead of trying to fight it or block it or suppress it, and inevitably end up consumed by it.

Exactly. It's probably gonna be there whether I like it or not. And in these conditions, I'm not sure it's healthy to try to get rid of it. It doesn't feel like maladaptation, but a symptom of an actual, real problem. It's like the pain that tells you when something's wrong; it's a mistake to take some painkillers and push through it, because it's there to alert you to a problem. There are certainly times it's not the most rational of emotions, and it's good to check yourself. But it's a mistake to think that every time is that.

• Like 5

Project repost

First project: Be a doctor

Rule one of dying: don't.

Rule two: slow [the virus progress] down.

To Do

1. Cut more cleaning rags for increased demand
  2. Move the hallway landing strip closer to the door
  3. Replace the landing strip mail processing station with a decontamination station
  4. Scrub the tub
  5. Mop the floor
  6. Wash all the bedding
  7. I think there's some pumpkin taking up space and being lumpy in the freezer; let's turn that into soup and freeze it for that same rainy week
  8. Set up telemedicine
  9. Try to get my hands on a pulse oximeter for the kit
  10. Get more isopropyl when it's available
  11. Find or replace my digital thermometer
  12. Set up prescription delivery and submit
  13. Order some non-medical masks
  14. Steam clean the kitchen (baseline)

In Progress

1. Bonus: make a smart data station to track my temperature and stuff
  2. Prep the flu kit
  3. Start taking more vitamins C and D
  4. Track hydration, it's still below par
  5. Saline for congestion
  6. Refill the soap bottles
  7. Batch cook and freeze meals for a rainy week
  8. Count handwashing
  9. Steam clean the bathroom (baseline)

Done

1. Refill the spray bottles
  2. Buy ingredients for batch cooking
  3. Get flu kit contents
  4. Put chopsticks everywhere I snack
  5. Get facecloths and make mint-infused moisturizing solution for my workspace, because I need help to stop touching my face
  6. Scrub the bathroom sink
  7. Batch cook and freeze rice for miso soup for a rainy week

Second project: redecorate my console room

It's traditional, with any regeneration, to redecorate the place.

To Do

1. Set up smart home app on DVR
  2. Fix DVR tuner
  3. Set up bathroom audio player
  4. Clean last season out of the space garden
  5. Set the space garden up for a new season
  6. Plant seeds
  7. Prepare new mushroom jars
  8. Contact community garden
  9. Organize the bathroom shelves
  10. Organize bathroom cabinet
  11. Organize the closet
  12. Clean final fridge drawer
  13. Move work clothes into storage
  14. File the boxes
  15. Get some accelerometers

In Progress

1. Rewire the media center
  2. Replace wifi and fix
  3. Get a 3D printer and spools of PLA
  4. Get some meat in the freezer and more eggs in the fridge
  5. Get some salsa and cheese
  6. Maybe get a fresh backup drive
  7. Hang gauze curtains and open the windows, because I can have fresh spring air
  8. Clean out freezer
  9. Order kick scooter for local transit
  10. Organize kitchen cabinets
  11. Plan home office changes

Done

1. Maybe a steam cleaner
  2. Get some coffee, chocolate, and tea selection for sanity
  3. Get some coconut oil
  4. Order new laptop
  5. Put out bowl for oranges
  6. Do the census crap

Third project: General badassery and challenge support

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind. And do not underestimate the power of anger, held close and channeled.

To Do

1. Make a new sleep schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  2. Make a new virtual socializing schedule to more strongly reinforce good mental health habits
  3. Make a new exercise plan
  4. Make a new meditation plan
  5. Make a media consumption plan
  6. Make a new media-making plan

In Progress

1. Curate clothes down to a work-from-home uniform
  2. Rip the new DVDs
  3. Make a new hydration/food/vitamins schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  4. Make a new cleaning schedule

Done

1. TBA

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 5:27 AM, sarakingdom said:

I definitely slipped a little on good emotional boundaries when getting snarky with WhiteGhost

Huh, I didn't get that vibe.  I was fine with your comments and would feel bad if you felt bad about making them.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh, I didn't get that vibe.  I was fine with your comments and would feel bad if you felt bad about making them.

I don't feel like they crossed a line on content or anything, just that they revealed a less thoughtful management of frustration than I prefer. In a discussion between the two of us about the practical measures I'm taking and why, it's not the biggest deal to me, but kind of a flag that I'm not in my game, and probably need a few deep breaths or something.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I don't feel like they crossed a line on content or anything, just that they revealed a less thoughtful management of frustration than I prefer. In a discussion between the two of us about the practical measures I'm taking and why, it's not the biggest deal to me, but kind of a flag that I'm not in my game, and probably need a few deep breaths or something.

I think I know what you mean. I really don't like it/me when I use sarcasm or say passive-aggressive things out of anger. It makes me feel yuck, even if it doesn't really harm anyone. I don't do it often, and only when I lose control somehow. I simply strongly prefer being direct. It feels so much better to me. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Week.... 1? Day 2

Laugh hard: TBA

Run fast: TBA

Be kind: TBA

I have hung two of the three curtains. It is precisely the sort of springtime faded Euro-peasant softness my apartment needs right now. I've steam-cleaned 2/3rds of the bathroom as sort of a baseline cleaning/sterilizing. Once I get that and the kitchen done, I'll just need top-ups.

I've almost finished the flu kit, just a few things to add before I stash it. I've also frozen two batches of rice for the sick times (one flavored for eating, the other for miso soup), and also three containers of mac and cheese. I need to make more cheese sauce to finish up the broccoli and cheese. I'm getting some applesauce for the strategic reserve stash, too.

My big project: making my living room better for multiple activities. Coffee table clutter was always kind of a thing, but it's currently my work desk, my dining table, my home desk, my project space, blocking my exercise space... Corralling those little bits and pieces is now super important. So I'm getting stacking inbox trays to let me remove entire projects at once, and give things a home that's ready to be pulled out but not in the way. I'm also getting a tray to corral all my water glasses and snacks and stuff.  (In the interests of buying only multitaskers, it's also a charcuterie tray with a hidden cheese knife drawer, since that is also my target level of cooking many days. And it will be useful for parties, in the event that we can ever have them again.)

I have decided that for now, grocery day is ice cream day.  One day out of ten isn't terrible, and I'll throw in some intermittent fasting.

The big problem to resolve: sleep is terrible. Truly terrible.  I need to hit that evening routine a lot harder. After that, clutter. I'm generating it faster than I can clean it right now, and I was already behind. So this will need some effort.

I'm tremendously distracted today, between lack of sleep, visible clutter, and extra stuff I have to do this week. There's gonna have to be some meditation, I think.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm tremendously distracted today, between lack of sleep, visible clutter, and extra stuff I have to do this week. There's gonna have to be some meditation, I think.

Oof, that sounds like a lot all at once. I hope the meditation helps!

I am currently struggling with clutter as well. The laundry room between the garage and the rest of the house has become The Airlock against bringing contagion into the house, and that means the counter in there needs to remain clutter free. This is not a problem in itself. The issue is that the clutter that was on that counter now is spreading, and it's slowly taking over the entire kitchen and living room area with creeping gradual clutter. It's insidious!

• Like 1

Yes, clutter has a rapid growth rate. I like your idea of project boxes.

I just negotiated with Elf that I will do most of the dishes. Elf and Dumbledore will do some, and will do most of the putting away of clean dishes. I don't mind the washing as much as they do, but I do mind the mess on the stove and the counters. I can leave the easier part for them. Elf is willing to mop the kitchen floor much more than I will, and Dumbledore is willing to vacuum.

If it is too much to deal with right now, you can put a pile in a box or under a tablecloth to deal with later. Not a perfect solution, but it might help your brain let go of it and let you rest.

We may need to reinstate the cocoa and sing-a-longs of the Black Ribboners. B) 

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:10 PM, Mistr said:

Yes, clutter has a rapid growth rate. I like your idea of project boxes.

They're in their alpha version so far, but have been a big help. One holds my notebooks and stuff, one holds my work computer, one has some sensors for an electronics project, and one is waiting on a slide-in drawer organizer to corral all the little stuff I need through the workday, like tissues and USB sticks and gum and a hair stick and so on. They all stack neatly in one small corner of the table, and I've fully reclaimed half the table, the part of the sofa I was leaving my laptop on, and I have my eyes on another quarter of the table.

If it is too much to deal with right now, you can put a pile in a box or under a tablecloth to deal with later. Not a perfect solution, but it might help your brain let go of it and let you rest.

The problem is all the previous times I've done that. :D

But I will say, I'm becoming more willing to sweep everything off, make a space pristine, and make the organizing another day's problem. It worked very will on the bathroom counters when I steam-cleaned them. The organizing job looked much smaller on the floor and the clean counters were a delight.

We may need to reinstate the cocoa and sing-a-longs of the Black Ribboners. B) 

Do we ever, man. Do we ever.

• Like 3

Week 1 Day 5 (belated)

I haven't had a ton of extra resources for posting, but I've been hitting the basics. I could stand to do better all around, but I'm not gonna get on my case this week for partially doing things. That's energy best spent elsewhere.

I've steam-cleaned the bathroom. Next will be my sofa. Since getting casters on my coffee table is hard, I may try rotating it 180 degrees to free up more floor space for yoga and sitting. No idea how that's gonna look, but I really need easy yoga space.

Today I planted two types of microgreens for salads, since shopping is like a major ethical and logistical dilemma.  I should have enough daikon radish seed to keep me in microgreens for a long, long time. I'm aiming to get the space garden planted this weekend.

Being the Doctor means quick calculations as you jump. My sleep deficit is over 21 hour, nearly three full nights of sleep. No wonder I've been off. New rule: more hours in bed, and breaks for bed rest and audiobooks. Sleep is everything.

• Like 4

Cleared a barely acceptable yoga spot last night. Did yoga. OH MY GOD IT WAS EXCRUCIATING. And I have done this one many, many times before. I think I might be holding just a little tension in my body.

Super tired. Want to sleep at the time. But my sleep deficit is down slightly.

• Like 6

Uh, how long after getting up and showering are you allowed to go back to bed for a nap? Asking for a friend.

I slept eight hours through last night. It was wonderful and scary. I'd forgotten what being unconscious for more than two hours at a time was like. Sleep deficit down to 17 hours (though it hasn't updated with last night's sleep yet).

Still exhausted. Seriously exhausted.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Uh, how long after getting up and showering are you allowed to go back to bed for a nap? Asking for a friend.

I think that varies depending on your policy regarding napping/sleeping with your hair still wet from the shower...

• Like 1