Sara Kingdom's Regeneration Challenge

sarakingdom

14 hours ago, Machete said:

Well the sleep is a challenge thing. Which you did. And you got a pretty big jump against your deficit.

Fallout 4 Car Decal "Thumbs Up Vault Boy" | Official Bethesda ...

True. I've been trying to treat all rest as on topic.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

11 hours ago, deftona said:

Also, and for no particular reason, here is a twenty year old Alastair Campbell playing the bagpipes. I saw it yesterday and though of you.

As you should. I cannot recommend highly enough making sure that one's inappropriate political fuckbuddies actually be ultra shaggable. I think this proves my point beyond a shadow of a doubt.

• Haha 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 3 Day 6

Laugh hard: in progress

Run fast: in progress

Be kind: yes

Sleep deficit: just over 7 hours

This weekend is a gardening weekend. I've been putting off planting my home space gardens all challenge, and if I had done it right away, I'd be eating from them by now. I'm also getting some new types of mushrooms going this weekend.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

As you should. I cannot recommend highly enough making sure that one's inappropriate political fuckbuddies actually be ultra shaggable. I think this proves my point beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Yeah, I think this is where mine and Mike Pence's fragile house of cards falls down.

15 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

This weekend is a gardening weekend. I've been putting off planting my home space gardens all challenge, and if I had done it right away, I'd be eating from them by now. I'm also getting some new types of mushrooms going this weekend.

Go get that garden!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's the hyperman set

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Yeah, I think this is where mine and Mike Pence's fragile house of cards falls down.

I'm afraid so. I mean, for comparison, a 20-year-old Pence playing an instrument:

180828145203-01-mike-pence-hanover-colle

It just can't compare to a kilted, bare-chested Alastair Campbell playing bagpipes outside a Spanish restaurant. God, that bastard has perverse style.

And speaking of that bastard having perverse style, just a quick comparison:

According to Alastair Campbell, sex should be written about more often. "Given that sex is an important part of a relationship and that most people are involved in some sort of a relationship at some time, it seems a pity not to write about it just because we are a bit squeamish," he argues.

Tony Blair's former spin doctor may not, by his own admission, be an authority on sex and literature, but the subject is on his mind this weekend.

Tomorrow night Campbell will be in contention for a second time for one of the best-known, but least sought after, fiction prizes in the country: the Bad Sex award.

Campbell explains why he hopes to win the award and why he even plans to be there to collect it personally if he can get away from a foreign holiday: "People have wondered if I am bluffing when I say I want to win," he says.

Versus:

He justifies an aggressive form of religious activism as a matter of tough love. At college, his friend Pence delivered a harsh public verdict on the condition of Linda Koon's soul in a campfire circle at a Vespers retreat. As she told us in an interview, Pence's evaluation of her fervor was followed by a recitation of her supposed sins, including her attendance at a wild party at the fraternity where Pence was in charge.

Koon says she left the session in tears, and was subsequently shunned by the members of the prayer group.

The pain is more acute for the gay man who lived down the hall from Pence at Hanover and considered him a mentor. Almost 40 years after they met, Pence's schoolmate asked to speak anonymously as he recalled that Pence was the first person he ever told about his sexual orientation. "I went to him because I respected him. Mike told me that who I was was an abomination, and that I had to change. He also stopped being my friend."

Remarkably, this Hanover alumnus said, Pence was almost as judgmental about his wife-to-be, Karen, as he was about gay students. "He told me that he needed to forgive her because she had been married before and wasn't a virgin. It had taken a while for him to get there, but he had forgiven her. He couldn't forgive me in the same way and it was a long time before I came out to anyone else."

Politics totally aside, let's just compare the relative shaggability of those men, because, really, we know all we need to know about the health of their attitudes to sex. One of them would be a very good weekend of highly inappropriate political crush sex, and the other is desperately asking for a very different experience involving crushing and his testicles.

What I'm saying is, you should join me on the Campbell side of the street. Because, first, there are bagpipes:

And second, he had me at "nicotine-stained man-frog". 💕

(Plus, he also seems to appreciate a good Capaldi-themed challenge, which I had not realized...)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, deftona said:

Oh, I was always there for Alastair. But I don't think he qualifies as a dodgy crush, given he is in every way entirely shaggable.

Huh. I think I'd have attributed a certain amount of dodginess to anyone's spin doctor, but I like the boldness of your assertion...

• Haha 1

Week 3 Day 7

Laugh hard: yes

Run fast: sure, there was yoga

Be kind: to myself?

Sleep deficit: under 4.5 hours

I didn't get a lot done this weekend, it was mostly about rest. But I made small task gains. The next batches of mushrooms (three varieties) are a go. Cleaning is slightly leveled up, and I'm easing into some of my new quarantine cleaning habits. (Kinda late, given that we're now a month into quarantine, but hey, they only popped onto my radar recently. It's honestly a touch overkill, given how low risk I am for daily germ issues, but good habits won't hurt.)

I did yoga. God, my body is tight. I need more yoga. I'm mostly doing cooldown stretches aimed at the hips and hamstrings, because I'm just too tight to do more right now. I've repurposed an old aikido belt into a yoga strap. Thus I am by extension doing aikido, right? Well, at least more mobility won't hurt my aikido. (I do actually have an ukemi video I might work on, when I feel more flexible. Without good mats, I want better physical control before I start rolling at home.)

Getting my furniture moved is great. My home gym plan is ready to go. Given how tight my muscles are, I'm delaying regular strength training till later this week. My plan is to insert some yoga breaks into my work days, and add in bodyweight strength/cardio conditioning when my body is no longer screaming what it's too tight for anything. The increased rest is definitely helpful. At 20+ hours deficit, my body outright feels like it's not recovering from anything.

The other thing I'm ready for now is leaning hard into intermittent fasting. That was another of those "let my body rest and take it in steps" things. I did two weeks of eating anything I felt like, two weeks of low carb but any time I wanted, and now I actually want the fasting. (I think I was undereating before this, which was probably a bit of physical stress. Moreso than fasting is; that's actually kind of a rest for the system.) This will probably be alternate day fasting, rather than a daily window, because time is meaningless and I can't do windows right now, not without undereating, which I don't want to do.

I feel like I'm very slow to into the habits I wanted for my quarantine months, but I'm learning to be okay with slowness and rest. That's the good thing about working from home, I can arrange my days around my needs more easily. And I'm learning that if I need to spend half an hour with my eyes closed and the radio on, it's better to do that than to power through. I still feel like I'm resting too much, but between trying to recover from that ridiculous sleep deficit and watching other people handle stress and quarantine lessons, and my yoga DVDs talking about the value of stillness, I think that's probably not the case, so much as it's true that none of us rest enough. So I'm trying to always honor the need to rest, rather than fight it. (I've even got a book about doing nothing. Maybe I will learn something.) There's been a lot of smart writing recently, even before this kicked off but especially after, about lack of productivity never being laziness, but other needs asserting themselves. I don't always know what those needs are, but if I need stillness, I'm trying to be still. It's working, I think. Slowly. And the slowness is frustrating, but it is what it is. I probably also have a big stillness deficit to compensate for.

• Like 5

Speaking of the lessons of lockdown and the unlikely shaggability of Alastair Campbell, I would like to recommend this article.

After inspiring the deeply sweary aggressive spin doctor archetype and saving Peter Capaldi's career from an undeserved premature end, Campbell seems to have gone in for a second role in mental health advocacy and generally being levelheaded and kind. Which I'm not sure anyone would have guessed.

So here are his (abridged) twenty points for mental health during lockdown, which seem like good ones, and which I intend to work on periodically.

1 Look after key relationships. Your partner, your children, parents and grandparents, siblings, closest friends. Really try to look out for them.

2 Stay active. The temptation to do nothing is strong. Try to resist it.

3 Exercise. It's vital to physical and mental wellbeing.

4 Watch your diet. For many people, boredom = eating, dislocation = eating, loneliness = eating. It is important to be aware of it. Try to eat healthily.

5 Keep an eye on the booze. Someone tweeted recently: “This is like Christmas without the fun!” I think we all know what they mean.

6 Sleep. I have been struggling with this one. But an early night is a good night.

7 Read books. Don’t be a 24/7 news junkie. Books that have nothing to do with the current crisis, fiction or nonfiction, can be such a wonderful release.

8 Cut down on social media. Endlessly scrolling through Twitter and Instagram is not healthy.

9 Listen to music regularly.

10 Even better – make music. I play bagpipes and they are out every day.

11 Write down your thoughts. Keep a diary. Make lists.

12 Keep in touch with the people you would normally be in contact with.

13 Get in touch with someone you have lost touch with.

14 Do something good for someone else every day.

15 Do the easy things if you are finding it hard to do the difficult things.

16 Stay curious. Try new things.

17 Enjoy nature. If you follow me on social media, you will know I have been posting tree of the day photos I cannot tell you how much pleasure I get on my morning walk deciding which tree to pick.

18 Remember that all crises end eventually. By the time this one is over, there will have been a lot of death, a lot of grief, a lot of suffering. But it will end, and most of the world will still be here.

19 Keep things in perspective. Don’t panic.

20 See an opportunity in every setback. The whole world is going to have to take that approach when this is all over, but we can do it in our own lives now.

• Like 5

Hmmm. A supporter of proper sex education & positivity, level-headed advice, bagpipes (currently watching the Outlander and although I've never been against men in kilts, I have a new 'suit' to add to things I like seeing men in)

I support your assessment of Mr Campbell as shaggable! :D 

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

Ok ok, you've made it very clear you make better dodgy political crush choices, now stop ramming it in my face because I can imagine what is on Mike Pence's "How to get through quarantine" list and it almost definitely involves pulling wings off insects. 

I'm glad to hear you've got your gym space sorted now. You sound like you're settling in to a routine you're happier with?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's the hyperman set

6 hours ago, deftona said:

Ok ok, you've made it very clear you make better dodgy political crush choices, now stop ramming it in my face because I can imagine what is on Mike Pence's "How to get through quarantine" list and it almost definitely involves pulling wings off insects. 

Yes, that's #4.

But Campbell isn't all sweetness and light, you know. He's admitted to daily bagpipe practice. And even as someone who doesn't mind them as an instrument, that's a pretty intense prospect for his family and neighbors. (It really is the most aggressively Alastair Campbell instrument he could have taken up, isn't it?)

6 hours ago, deftona said:

I'm glad to hear you've got your gym space sorted now. You sound like you're settling in to a routine you're happier with?

I don't really settle into routines. Ever. They're a constant slog against ADHD brain, and never habitize.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

But Campbell isn't all sweetness and light, you know. He's admitted to daily bagpipe practice. And even as someone who doesn't mind them as an instrument, that's a pretty intense prospect for his family and neighbors.

There is something called a practice chanter that you can use for practice so you can be indoors and still have functioning eardrums at the end.

bagpipes-roosebeck-practice-chanter-nick

The holes are the same as the holes on the bagpipe, and there is a reed in it to get the similar sound

PracticeChanter_001.jpg

You don't get the drones, but you also don't alienate your loved ones and neighbors.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You don't get the drones, but you also don't alienate your loved ones and neighbors.

I'd like to think that, but the truth is, I can't quite reconcile "not alienating loved ones and neighbors" with "Alastair Campbell". He says he's got the pipes out every day, and I almost believe it of him. (My one hesitation is that he lives in London. If he practiced every day, I'm sure there'd be noise complaints from much further away...)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

But Campbell isn't all sweetness and light, you know.

It was charitable of you to pick the bagpipe practice and not, you know, spin doctoring for a man who almost definitely committed war crimes. But show me a man that is perfect and I will show you the throne of lies he sits upon. 

• Like 3

It's the hyperman set

2 hours ago, deftona said:

But show me a man that is perfect and I will show you the throne of lies he sits upon. 

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

But Campbell isn't all sweetness and light, you know.

Aww, I was just happy to read a conversation about whether or not someone is sexy based on characteristics and values :D It was awesome.

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

On 4/20/2020 at 10:01 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There is something called a practice chanter that you can use for practice so you can be indoors and still have functioning eardrums at the end.

bagpipes-roosebeck-practice-chanter-nick

The holes are the same as the holes on the bagpipe, and there is a reed in it to get the similar sound

PracticeChanter_001.jpg

I have personal experience with this because Dumbledore plays bagpipes. Tank is correct that the volume of a practice chanter is much lower than the actual chanter from a set of bagpipes. The tone is somewhere between a duck call and a recorder - the plastic kind that kids learn on in elementary school music class. Not horrible, but not really musical either.

The chanter of the bagpipe without the drones sounds more like a trumpet. In my estimate, the kill radius of a set of bagpipes is about 10 feet. Any closer than that and people feel the need to protect their ears. I always wondered how people in pipe bands deal with it. My guess is that the noise is going down from the chanters and up from the drones and they are in a relatively quieter region in between.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, sarakingdom said:

Sleep deficit: under 4.5 hours

I didn't get a lot done this weekend, it was mostly about rest. But I made small task gains. The next batches of mushrooms (three varieties) are a go. Cleaning is slightly leveled up, and I'm easing into some of my new quarantine cleaning habits. (Kinda late, given that we're now a month into quarantine, but hey, they only popped onto my radar recently. It's honestly a touch overkill, given how low risk I am for daily germ issues, but good habits won't hurt.)

Yay for lots of rest and gains on other tasks.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, sarakingdom said:

And I'm learning that if I need to spend half an hour with my eyes closed and the radio on, it's better to do that than to power through. I still feel like I'm resting too much, but between trying to recover from that ridiculous sleep deficit and watching other people handle stress and quarantine lessons, and my yoga DVDs talking about the value of stillness, I think that's probably not the case, so much as it's true that none of us rest enough. So I'm trying to always honor the need to rest, rather than fight it. (I've even got a book about doing nothing. Maybe I will learn something.) There's been a lot of smart writing recently, even before this kicked off but especially after, about lack of productivity never being laziness, but other needs asserting themselves. I don't always know what those needs are, but if I need stillness, I'm trying to be still. It's working, I think. Slowly. And the slowness is frustrating, but it is what it is. I probably also have a big stillness deficit to compensate for.

I'm feeling the need for stillness a lot myself. Sitting zen is physically still, but the way I'm doing it is not mentally restful. I'm pretty sure I'm still doing it wrong, although I have hope I'm going to catch on soon.

Most mornings I lie awake in bed and have to talk myself into getting up and facing all the things I need to do. I want to just sit still and not need to do anything. I appreciate those breaks in the yoga videos. I'm mostly getting enough sleep, but not nearly enough rest. I hope you make progress on your stillness deficit.

• Like 4

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I'm feeling the need for stillness a lot myself. Sitting zen is physically still, but the way I'm doing it is not mentally restful. I'm pretty sure I'm still doing it wrong, although I have hope I'm going to catch on soon.

I find that going for a walk on my lunch break is mentally restful. It keeps the body distracted so my mind can do the mindless-task related mindfulness. If a walk is not an option, could a monotonous task indoors provide a starting point for resting the mind at least a little bit?

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I find that going for a walk on my lunch break is mentally restful. It keeps the body distracted so my mind can do the mindless-task related mindfulness. If a walk is not an option, could a monotonous task indoors provide a starting point for resting the mind at least a little bit?

This is how I do mindfulness. Not sure if I have full ADHD or just heavy tendencies but I am one of those types that can't pay attention to boring things unless I am moving so still meditation doesn't work - walking, gardening, running and Kata help though. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Absolutely, yes. Walks are great. Spinning is my favorite indoor task that does the same thing. I just haven't done enough of it recently. Tonight for sure.

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 4/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, deftona said:

It was charitable of you to pick the bagpipe practice and not, you know, spin doctoring for a man who almost definitely committed war crimes. But show me a man that is perfect and I will show you the throne of lies he sits upon. 

What can I say, I'm feeling charitable to the man lately. (And can't afford overly high standards when it comes to a few almost definite war crimes.)

On 4/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, Mistr said:

Most mornings I lie awake in bed and have to talk myself into getting up and facing all the things I need to do. I want to just sit still and not need to do anything. I appreciate those breaks in the yoga videos. I'm mostly getting enough sleep, but not nearly enough rest. I hope you make progress on your stillness deficit.

I really recommend it. Especially as crazy as work probably is for you right now. Maybe you could take a couple of Zen days, and just sit still instead. I doubt your Zen would suffer for it.

Week 4 Day 4

I've been struggling to sleep this week. Not mostly my fault, just lying awake all night. It's restful, but it's not sleep. My current plan is to try to get more yoga into my day, and hope that helps.

Food has been a thing this week. The alternate day fasting was great. Eating has not been. I've had two days of weird digestive symptoms, which might be why I was so happy fasting. So I'm feeling very ambivalent about food. Today is grocery day, so I'm allowing myself one breakfast-cereal-and-ice-cream night (with intermittent fasting as an offset) to give myself a break from struggling with food. Then we'll see.

• Like 1