Sara Kingdom's Regeneration Challenge

sarakingdom

14 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I really recommend it. Especially as crazy as work probably is for you right now. Maybe you could take a couple of Zen days, and just sit still instead. I doubt your Zen would suffer for it.

You know, that is a really good idea. There is no one on my case to do all the things on my list this weekend. I didn't get the break I wanted last weekend. I could do that this weekend and my family would cheer me on. Me being focused all the time makes them feel guilty for not doing more chores. There is all this spinning I want to do, and playing piano, and hiking by the river, and reading and...

I've been struggling to sleep this week. Not mostly my fault, just lying awake all night. It's restful, but it's not sleep. My current plan is to try to get more yoga into my day, and hope that helps.

My sympathy on the insomnia. I hope the yoga helps.

Food has been a thing this week. The alternate day fasting was great. Eating has not been. I've had two days of weird digestive symptoms, which might be why I was so happy fasting. So I'm feeling very ambivalent about food. Today is grocery day, so I'm allowing myself one breakfast-cereal-and-ice-cream night (with intermittent fasting as an offset) to give myself a break from struggling with food. Then we'll see.

Digestive issues are frustrating. I know you stocked up on good food, so that shouldn't be giving you trouble.

I hear you on breakfast-cereal-and-ice-cream. I had popcorn for supper after I came home from grocery shopping on Monday. I've been good about not eating ice cream during the week, but I had some last weekend. My resolve on the ice cream has been helped by cold weather. On the other hand, I made a pan of shortbread and ate it all myself.

• Like 3

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Food has been a thing this week. The alternate day fasting was great. Eating has not been. I've had two days of weird digestive symptoms, which might be why I was so happy fasting. So I'm feeling very ambivalent about food. Today is grocery day, so I'm allowing myself one breakfast-cereal-and-ice-cream night (with intermittent fasting as an offset) to give myself a break from struggling with food. Then we'll see.

I hope the digestive issues have improved! Food and stomach issues influence so much more, and hopefully by calming down the digestive system you will be able to sleep better as well.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

The seeds for my hydroponics are all started. I did four bok choi, six spinach, two mizuna, two arugula, eight mixed lettuce (red romaine, bronze guard, and mystery grab bag, which I hope has a frisee), one chervil, two cilantro, two dwarf basil, two mini hot peppers, two mini cherry tomatoes, and ten bare root strawberry plants. I am pushing it a little on the strawberries, tomatoes, and peppers, but we'll cross our fingers. (Strawberries won't get too big, but they can be largish plants for the space. The tomatoes and peppers almost certainly won't be as dwarf as they claim, but I may be able to aggressively prune those to fit the space.)

I'm going to do marjoram and thyme on the windowsill, with some other plants, like radishes and green onions and so on. I'm not fully decided on what. Maybe Alpine strawberries and poppies, maybe chard and lemongrass.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 4/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I hope the ice cream makes it better.

I think so. I wasn't totally into it, which is probably a good thing, but it was a nice one-time thing.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:45 AM, chemgeek said:

Insomnia sucks. I hope you're able to get some sleep.

I did! It was nice. Then I napped a lot, too. Oops.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mistr said:

There is all this spinning I want to do, and playing piano, and hiking by the river, and reading and...

You should do those things. And they should totally do more chores. Who knows, maybe if you go hiking, they will.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:36 AM, Scalyfreak said:

I hope the digestive issues have improved! Food and stomach issues influence so much more, and hopefully by calming down the digestive system you will be able to sleep better as well.

Doing better, I think. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

four bok choi

I finally looked this up because it has been bothering me for a long time.  I know what 白菜 is (Bai Cai in Mandarin or Bak Choi in Cantonese) but it doesn't match with any of the descriptions I ever see for bok choi.  

After a quick google search, what you guys are calling bok choi is apparently what we call 小油菜 (Xiao You Cai or little oil vegetables) and the normal translation for that is rape (as in rape seed oil).  I can see why they decided not to use that tranlsation in the west.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I finally looked this up because it has been bothering me for a long time.  I know what 白菜 is (Bai Cai in Mandarin or Bak Choi in Cantonese) but it doesn't match with any of the descriptions I ever see for bok choi.  

After a quick google search, what you guys are calling bok choi is apparently what we call 小油菜 (Xiao You Cai or little oil vegetables) and the normal translation for that is rape (as in rape seed oil).  I can see why they decided not to use that tranlsation in the west.

It's not the rapeseed plant; that's canola here (rebranded for exactly the reasons you mention), which is something in the brassica napus family, although there's an oil with the same name made from things the closely related brassica rapa family, which is probably what they stole for canola.

That scientific species, brassica rapa, includes both plants in contention here. You're probably thinking of what we call Napa cabbage. But when I Google Bai Cai/白菜, I get results for both what we call Napa cabbage and what we call bok choi, so I suspect some Sinophone immigrant group calls the other one bok choi. They're both members of brassica rapa, along with rapini and komatsuna and so on. All of them are in the "rape"/rapa family, and many have some awkward colloquial names involving rape.

What Wikipedia is telling me is that Napa cabbage is dai bok choy/大白菜 (big white vegetable) and bok choy is siu bok choy/青江菜 (small white vegetable). (Is that Qing Jiang Cai for you?)

It looks like Cantonese may be the issue. It looks like Cantonese uses 紹菜for Napa cabbage/dai bok choi (what you use 白菜 for), and uses 白菜 for siu bok choi.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

bok choy is siu bok choy

I'm actually seeing the same vegetable come up for Xiao Bai Cai, which looks like the Mandarin version of siu bok choi, and Xiao You Cai, so I think this is regional. It looks like they're both types of bok choi/Bai Cai, but Cantonese, Mandarin, and possibly your regional Mandarin all disagree on the colloquial name.

• Like 1

OK, that could very well be the case.  There are tons of varieties in the family, and according to the local vernacular here we have Da Bai Cai, Xiao Bai Cai, Yuan Bai Cai, Wa Wa Cai, Xiao You Cai, Zi Gan Lan and probably a few others I don't recognize.  I do know that a bunch of vegetables have entirely different names for a bunch of vegetables but I assumed that the word for Napa cabbage would be universal.   Apparently not.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

It's a good thing English doesn't have these problems with multiple names for the same vegetable ;) 

Zucchini, Eggplant, red bell pepper, yup, no one calls them anything different in the Entire English Speaking World.

• Haha 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

For week 5, I'm starting to trim down the lists, taking off what's done and moving what needs reinforcement.

First project: Be a doctor

Rule one of dying: don't.

Rule two: slow [the virus progress] down.

To Do

1. Cut more cleaning rags for increased demand (maybe)
  2. Move the hallway landing strip closer to the door
  3. Replace the landing strip mail processing station with a decontamination station
  4. Schedule all the cleaning tasks here for repetition
  5. Set up telemedicine
  6. Try to get my hands on a pulse oximeter for the kit
  7. Get more isopropyl when it's available
  8. Find or replace my digital thermometer
  9. Set up prescription delivery and submit prescriptions
  10. Steam clean the kitchen (baseline)
  11. Look up how to bring blood pressure down if it does a covid spike

In Progress

1. Bonus: make a smart data station to track my temperature and stuff
  2. Start taking more vitamins C and D
  3. Track hydration, it's still below par
  4. Count handwashing
  5. Revisit face-touching prevention
  6. Get a chopsticks check in there somewhere

Done

1. Refill the spray bottles
  2. Refill the soap bottles
  3. Buy ingredients for batch cooking
  4. Get flu kit contents
  5. Put chopsticks everywhere I snack
  6. Get facecloths and make mint-infused moisturizing solution for my workspace, because I need help to stop touching my face
  7. Scrub the bathroom sink
  8. Batch cook and freeze rice for miso soup for a rainy week
  9. Scrub the tub
  10. Order some non-medical masks
  11. Prep the flu kit
  12. Get more cough suppressant
  13. Batch cook and freeze meals for a rainy week
  14. Saline for congestion
  15. Make and freeze the pumpkin soup
  16. Steam clean the bathroom (baseline)
  17. Mop the floor
  18. Wash all the bedding
  • Like 2

Second project: redecorate my console room

It's traditional, with any regeneration, to redecorate the place.

To Do

1. Set up smart home app on DVR
  2. Set up bathroom audio player
  3. Organize the bathroom shelves
  4. Organize bathroom cabinet
  5. Organize the closet
  6. Clean final fridge drawer
  7. Move work clothes into storage
  8. File the boxes

In Progress

1. Fix DVR tuner
  2. Replace wifi and fix
  3. Get a 3D printer and spools of PLA
  4. Clean out freezer
  5. Order kick scooter for local transit
  6. Organize kitchen cabinets

Done

1. Maybe a steam cleaner
  2. Get some coffee, chocolate, and tea selection for sanity
  3. Get some coconut oil
  4. Order new laptop
  5. Put out bowl for oranges
  6. Do the census crap
  7. Contact community garden
  8. Rewire the media center
  9. Get some meat in the freezer and more eggs in the fridge
  10. Get some salsa and cheese
  11. Maybe get a fresh backup drive
  12. Hang gauze curtains and open the windows, because I can have fresh spring air
  13. Move furniture around to make different spaces
  14. Clean last season out of the space garden
  15. Set the space garden up for a new season
  16. Plant seeds
  17. Prepare new mushroom jars

• Like 1

Third project: General badassery and challenge support

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind. And do not underestimate the power of anger, held close and channeled.

To Do

1. Make a new sleep schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  2. Make a new meditation plan
  3. Make a media consumption plan
  4. Make a new media-making plan

In Progress

1. Curate clothes down to a work-from-home uniform
  2. Rip the new DVDs
  3. Make a new hydration/food/vitamins schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  4. Make a new cleaning schedule
  5. Make a new virtual socializing schedule to more strongly reinforce good mental health habits
  6. Make a new exercise plan

Done

1. TBA
  • Like 1

Week 5 Tasks

On Hold

1. Organize the bathroom shelves
  2. Organize bathroom cabinet
  3. Organize the closet
  4. Clean final fridge drawer
  5. Try to get my hands on a pulse oximeter for the kit
  6. Get more isopropyl when it's available
  7. Cut more cleaning rags for increased demand (maybe)
  8. Get a 3D printer and spools of PLA
  9. Make a media consumption plan
  10. Set up smart home app on DVR
  11. Set up bathroom audio player

To Do

1. Move work clothes into storage
  2. Move extra dishes to storage
  3. File the boxes
  4. Move the hallway landing strip closer to the door
  5. Replace the landing strip mail processing station with a decontamination station
  6. Schedule all the cleaning tasks here for repetition
  7. Set up telemedicine
  8. Find or replace my digital thermometer
  9. Set up prescription delivery and submit prescriptions
  10. Steam clean the kitchen (baseline)
  11. Look up how to bring blood pressure down if it does a covid spike

In Progress

1. Curate clothes down to a work-from-home uniform
  2. Rip the new DVDs
  3. Make a new hydration/food/vitamins schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  4. Make a new cleaning schedule
  5. Make a new virtual socializing schedule to more strongly reinforce good mental health habits
  6. Make a new exercise plan
  7. Make a new media-making plan
  8. Make a new sleep schedule to more strongly reinforce good health habits
  9. Make a new meditation plan
  10. Fix DVR tuner
  11. Replace wifi and fix
  12. Order kick scooter for local transit
  13. Organize kitchen cabinets
  14. Bonus: make a smart data station to track my temperature and stuff
  15. Start taking more vitamins C and D
  16. Track hydration, it's still below par
  17. Count handwashing
  18. Revisit face-touching prevention
  19. Get a chopsticks check in there somewhere
  20. Clean out freezer

Done

1. TBA

• Like 1

One thing that'd clear a lot of tasks off my "in progress" list is a schedule/reminder system I trusted. I don't have any that I trust myself with. I have an idea to try.

The other two big needles to move are filling my papers and tackling Mount Clean Laundry.

• Like 2

Did yoga before bed. I'm hoping it'll help with sleep. But also, gah, I'm excruciatingly tight. I didn't used to tight on this routine. Stupid quarantine muscles. I'm going to need to find a better way to replace all my walking and stuff.

• Like 3

I am going to rant. Because everything is low-key bad. I can't stand my own cooking, and I can't spare the energy to do it. I'm so tired all the time, I need to sleep at least twice a day. I currently have strange muscle aches that make no sense. My mood has been taking strange unexplained nosedives randomly, and between that and the tiredness, I'm really not at my best. (I'm still in sleep deficit, around fourteen hours, so I can't say this is too much sleep. But it takes so much time out of my day being tired.)

I swear, if I didn't react so badly to higher carbs, I'd go right back onto the breakfast cereal diet seven days a week. That I can manage.

I just can't fit in my day all the rest and stretching and exercise and food-making just to keep myself fed and rested and physically okay, let alone, you know, my job and chores.

Everything is terrible, I hate it all.

• Sad 3

Okay. I'm throwing money at part of this problem. If I'm living off diet-compliant snack bars and coffee for half my meals, that is not actually a problem.

Not sure what to do about sleep. I guess I could start scheduling an afternoon nap. My schedule is flexible enough for that.

What else? More floor sitting might help the muscle issues. Maybe those NF 5-minute yoga sessions through the day. Also, more frequent hydration. That's really hard to keep up with. My best option might be cold-brewing some coffee and green tea the night before, so I can just pour and go during the day.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

What else? More floor sitting might help the muscle issues. Maybe those NF 5-minute yoga sessions through the day. 

Do you pace? Assuming you have room for it, getting up and pacing for a few minutes every 45-60 minutes could help loosen the muscles and hopefully alleviate some of the stiffness and soreness. Especially if you can do arm and shoulder stretches and mobility exercises while you pace.Take full advantage of the schedule flexibility and make it work for you!

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Sucks to hear!

No idea how useful this but getting some hydration through my food helps me when I am struggling with hydration.

If there are diet-conforming ready-to-go healthy soups in your supermarket... or good/tasty yoghurt. If there is non-dairy yoghurt 😅

There is this Balkan "summer soup" with watered down yoghurt (basically ayran, if you know the Turkish drink) salt, chopped up cucumbers, fresh herbs, garlic optional. Great for hydration because of the water and salt content?

• Like 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

10 hours ago, analoggirl said:

If there is non-dairy yoghurt

Non-dairy yogurt sounds absolutely disgusting. :)

• Haha 1