• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

The World Turned Upside Down (Xena)

I KNOW! And it's upside-down! I was working on fixing it...you're too fast!!!

• Like 2

I was in the process of editing my post when Tank responded. This one is right-side-up (though not so artistic) and covers the nose!

Will be interesting wearing this to work tomorrow.

IMG_0294.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Xena said:

During zoom 6-months-til-Halloween party after an undisclosed amount of wine, I decided surgical masks (which I can order through work) would be much more fun if they had cat faces on them. True or false.

IMG_0293.jpg

TRUE! 

Now we have to cover our faces we can no longer express ourselves through makeup so mask decorating will be a thing and you need to patent this because this is how you make your millions. 

Regarding the social media - it's a battle I have every day. On the one hand, I do think people are entitled to their opinion. But on the other hand, people are dying and there is a lot of political gaslighting going on. I feel like I have a duty to question people who are not questioning the narrative. At the same time though, people don't want to listen so sometimes I just have to turn away and quietly seethe into my knuckles instead. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Xena said:

During zoom 6-months-til-Halloween party after an undisclosed amount of wine, I decided surgical masks (which I can order through work) would be much more fun if they had cat faces on them. True or false.

IMG_0293.jpg

Definitely true.  We put pipecleaner antennas on our face shields at work too.

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

All I can see is that the mask isn't covering your nose ;) I'll attribute that do your level of wine consumption. Remember kids, don't drink and don PPE.

It's also upside down, but that is understandable with said wine.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 11:07 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

A lot of drunk posting happening around here. Is it time for an intervention?

What would be involved in said intervention? Interesting interaction with real live people? Might be worth it....

On 5/1/2020 at 2:21 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

It's also upside down, but that is understandable with said wine.

Yup...that was the part I was trying to edit, but Tank was too fast with the response, so I left it alone :=)

On 5/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

This week's strengthrunning podcast is on the 50 marathons in 50 states challenge. https://strengthrunning.com/2020/04/running-50-marathons-50-states-angie-spencer/ I thought you might be interested.

Awesome! Can't wait to listen! Virtual marathons don't count toward my actual goal, but maybe I'll make up some kind of virtual running goal for next challenge.

Friday was fine...don't remember all that much (not because of wine! just a normal day). I did 5 miles pretty moderate/easy.

Today was really nice. I finally set up my patio furniture, swept out the shed and did some weeding. After all that was done, I sat out on the lounger and read. It was LOVELY. I hadn't planned to do that (didn't think it would be warm enough) but when I was out working I realized how nice it was. The only downside was that my super-chatty elderly next-door neighbor was also out. I spent the whole time avoiding any eye contact so I wouldn't have to talk to her.  I felt kind of bad about that. There are tons of people I would love to talk to (even complete strangers), but she doesn't seem to accept the social cues for when I am done talking with her. I've been trapped several times, and it often devolves to her complaining about various condo things (I'm on the board). I also did my zoom yoga class and ran a few miles.

Tomorrow is supposed to be my long run day. 15 miles on the schedule, but I think I need to plan a route with a bail-out option in case my leg is sore.

And I did this....

IMG_0318.jpg

• Like 8

Oooh, I forgot to mention...I have a yoga confession.

I don't really like doing pranayama (breath work) in the best of times. It's just not why I go to yoga classes.

I don't mind doing savasana in an in-person class, but I've learned that I don't like doing it at home. #1 it feels like a waste of time (which I know is a western attitude, but that's just the kind of girl I am) and #2 I don't like doing it by myself in my house because I feel really vulnerable. I usually do yoga by my sliders, and I have this irrational fear that someone could be looking in while my eyes are closed.

Unfortunately my yoga teacher (who I really respect and usually enjoy as a teacher) has been making the virtual classes a little easier with a little more emphasis on pranayma and other stuff. She's been ending the class with ~15 min pranayama or meditation, followed by savasana. Today I wasn't feeling it. I turned off my camera. I sat and petted the cat for a while. Then I prepped a smoothie. Then I lay down in supta sukasana for a while (which at least is a stretch for me, so less boring). Then I just sat and looked out the window for a while. It was really nice, but I felt like a complete delinquent!!!

• Like 6

Seems like  you did  with the pajamama (or whatever it was called) was and got some relaxing in. Isn't that one of the benefits of Zoom- no one can really tell what you were doing😉 We put out our deck furniture , but it has been coolish all week.This week we are supposed to be warmer, so I'm hopeful

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sounds like she's out of ideas ;) 

Valid point, but in this case I actually don't think so. A lot of people find it valuable, and I think it has been a deliberate choice. I think she is trying to offer some peace in an anxious time. And I don't accept the "new age crap" [being harsh here] from most yoga teachers, but she is quite a bit older than me and a long-time serious practitioner and scholar. I feel that she really does have wisdom to offer, so I'm usually more respectful. What she was offering was just different from what I needed. I'm more open to the breath-work in the evening when I need to unwind from the day. I don't like it in the morning.

Challenge wrap-up

I did a complete non-challenge and it was fine.

Today I ran 12.5 miles...was aiming for 15 but wasn't feeling it. I went with a friend and she wanted to some trails. They were moderately rugged and not completely familiar to me. That's mentally hard for me, so after 3 miles of that, I told her I wanted to go back on the roads. She's a good friend, so she agreed with no problem. I ended up with just over 30 miles for the week, which is the most I've done at least during this challenge.

Meh...that's about it. I'm doing well. Onto the new thread!

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Xena said:

And I did this....

I don't know what it was like before, but it's pretty, and I'm loving the hair pics here in the scout thread atm. Now you're giving me ideas..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xena said:

And I don't accept the "new age crap" [being harsh here] from most yoga teachers, but she is quite a bit older than me and a long-time serious practitioner and scholar. I feel that she really does have wisdom to offer, so I'm usually more respectful. What she was offering was just different from what I needed. I'm more open to the breath-work in the evening when I need to unwind from the day. I don't like it in the morning.

I feel like you w.r.t. yoga and "new age", etc. I usually just smile and nod, like you respect someone's view, but do my own thing. But in general I'm not a yoga kind of person. I use stretches to cool off, or take aches from exercise away. Lol, for feeling like a delinquent for not following her instructions/rules :) You did what worked for you at that time. If it isn't your thing then just do what you did. I don't see any harm, except if it continues (I just couldn't spell continues now!) to bother you, then you'll probably have to say something to her. If you don't mind stroking the cat, enjoying the view, relaxing with a cup of something, then do it.

On to the new challenge.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, Xena said:

I did a complete non-challenge and it was fine.

You did a LOT for a non-challenge.

This is certainly the time to let up the challenge pressure to free up mental space for coping with everything else. It sounds like you are doing well with all that.

I love the cat face on the mask and the blue highlights in your hair. :)

• Like 1

I feel better about one little thing. A couple weeks ago I got some carry-out (for the first time during pandemic). I didn't know how it worked, and after I got my food, I saw that there was no service charge. I googled to find out what people are generally doing in this time. I can afford to give a tip, and the main reason I'm buying the carry-out in the first place is to try to help the restaurants. I just ordered dinner for tonight from the same place and doubled the tip. I told the lady why because I wanted her to know that not all the people that "stiff them" are jerks.

[and I also know that not everyone can afford extra money, and that expectations for tipping vary regionally etc etc. Not telling anyone else what to do, just have been feeling guilty about this for a while].

• Like 5