Zero Week Special Thing

RedStone

JOIN ME IN A ZERO WEEK SPECIAL GRATITUDE THING!

Gratitude practice is a beautiful thing. It gives us perspective, grounding, and is quick and easy.

All you have to do is list three things here you are grateful for. 

You can do it once, or come back - even everyday - if you find the practice useful for you! 

source.gif

And I'm gonna go ahead and say... bonus points if you add a GIF everyone else will be grateful for having seen :D Why not. Silly, adorable, funny, thoughtful, whatever. Have at it!

• Like 5

Today I am grateful for:

1 - An early spring. We still have some cold nights, but the trees are budding, bulbs coming up, roses are starting and my kale came back. I'm grateful for warmer weather and sunny skies to sit under

2 - My friends. Last night we played our first night of online mahjonng, it was weird and awesome. Someone got me a bag of flour because they knew I couldn't find any, and I got someone else a package of paper towels because I knew she needed them badly.

3 - My community. I'm part of a relief aid group connecting volunteers with people and organizations in need and it gives me hope and purpose. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 6

Today I am grateful for:

1. Assisting with my church's live streamed service. Only 10 of us in the building, but roughly 180 devices connected.

2. Playing dominoes with the people I live with.  Fun and relaxing.

3. Painting butterflies.

keep calm dream on GIF

• Like 6

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

I honestly have so much... But I'll start with... 

1) I'm thankful for everyone out there making sure necessary goods and food make it to their end points. At the moment I'm especially grateful that take-out and delivery is still a possibility because cooking while trying to move all of this stuff from point A to B while trying to avoid crowds is tough enough! 

2) Thankful to have a job in an industry and company that will likely ride out this crisis.My company is taking action to tighten the belt so no new hires, promotions and merit increases frozen, and no bonuses... But no layoffs foreseen at this time. We also were able to successfully make virtually every position able to WFH and the transfer was quite successful. We have a few groups (like mine) that was already 100% remote so we all chipped in how we already WFH successfully so others can learn the different ways they can as well. 

3) Mom made sure I know how to cook. While I realize I'm not cooking RIGHT NOW.... After this week you better believe I'll be cooking all of our meals. Not just to distance for the rest of this pandemic, but because it's a heck of a lot cheaper and healthier. Because I know our chances of a quick fix up and sale of our house in Atlanta probably just went up in smoke.... 

• Like 5

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

1. That my position was one selected as necessary so I have been allowed to work from home and can continue to support my organization during this trying time.
  2. We already cooked at home a lot and ate healthy, so even though the stores were out of a lot of things, the masses decided healthy, organic food wasn't worth stocking up on so in our kitchen things seem pretty normal.
  3. I was able to set up a home office in my gym, storage, and I have a window, a decent chair and table and tunes. It's all good.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Oh man, lately I have been so appreciative of the privileges I have which put me in a really good position to stay safe and healthy:

1) I can trust the people around me to do the right thing

2) I have savings to buy heaps of groceries at a time, and a nice big kitchen to cook it all up in

3) Besides groceries, work and vet appointments I have no pressing needs to go out and put myself at risk

4) I have a cushy government desk job with small offices and massive desks so social distancing is a cinch (vs poor Husband in his open-plan nightmare of an office)

5) I'm an essential service so I'm still working, but it's not a public-facing role so I'm not exposed to random strangers (no tourists coming into the building these days anyway)

6) Hopefully I'll be able to work from home soon

7) Even if the work dries up and we're shut down, I'll still be paid as normal

8 ) In the event that I'm not paid (not gonna happen, the union would freak) I have enough savings to get me through it anyway

Well that's more than three things (I'm sure I could come up with more, but those are the main points), but as a weak asthmatic kid in these times I have a lot to be thankful for.

• Like 5

1. I am grateful for my work/team. My work family is keeping things "normal" even though we are all WFH. I am grateful that we are all set up and able to work from home so I don't need to worry about my next paycheque. Things are pretty normal work wise so although I get a bit envious of the people with all the free time, I am ultimately so happy I can keep working because this thing sounds like it might go on for awhile and I have very little savings and it gives me an enforced routine Monday - Friday. 

2. This one is a bit weird, but I am grateful that I sprained my ankle when I did. This is generally one of my favourite times to be at the barn and riding my horse but because of the ankle I can't. So when the barn hours were cut to the point I wouldn't have enough time for a visit and its heading to the point where it will be closed 100% for awhile I didn't get more upset. I miss it terribly but it makes social distancing easier since I can't actually do the thing anyways. 

3. I am grateful I started counting calories before this self isolation thing because if I hadn't I 100% would have gained 20lbs already. It will be challenging as time goes on with self isolation but I am happy for the head start none-the-less. 

Image result for banana gif

• Like 6

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

A new day, a new list.

1. I am grateful for the structure of Nerd Fitness to give me something normal in these non-normal times.
  2. I am thankful that my attitude is good today since I have my new schedule and things to do, I don't feel as aimless and am less tempted to sit and scroll the media feeds.
  3. I am thankful for a beautiful walk last night, the storm clouds and the breaking sun were such a contrast, and while seeing the darkness, gave such hope.

IMG_20200323_174113.jpg

• Like 6

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

I'm grateful for:
1 - winter finally going! I missed my shorts and sandals.

2 - my ability to always keep going, even if i tumble back down the mountain. i never stay down long. i'm too stubborn for that. i will hit that d*** peak one way or another.

3 - all the people who give their time to creating content and resources for other people, encouraging and inspiring them to achieve their goals and grow. This is vague, but content creators and people I've never even had conversations with have played a pivotal role in my being able to jump start myself overall after falling into a depression, dealing with creative burnout and a bout of long-term unemployment -- all at the same time for most of it! Even just other artists regularly creating and posting their work for people to follow have had an impact on me getting back to creating my own.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Tyr the Conqueror  [ Half-Dwarf | Rebel ]

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Volume: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

21 hours ago, J3NN said:

IMG_20200323_174113.jpg

HOLY CANNOLI! What an incredible shot/scene!

• Like 5

Today I am grateful for

1. My clients. Many of them are sticking with me and letting me stumble through the transition. They are showing trust and love and make me feel worth something. It makes me feel valuable to be able to help people now.

2. Online mahjongg. Surprisingly delightful to be able to connect with friends and play together, do voice over calls during, and additionally I've been able to play with my mom as well which is novel and lovely. (I might have schooled her in 2 games today... I finally earned her respect lol) I expect we'll bring in my sister in law and maybe her mom as well. Bringing people together in a way we never would have tried to before.

3. The bar of soap I bought before the shutdown. It's my favorite scent and gives me a tremendous morale boost when I use it. Sometimes it's the little things that makes us feel a bit more human.

tenor.gif

• Like 4

Today I am grateful for...

1. Joann's fabric stores making it easy for people to help themselves and our healthcare professionals by making face mask supplies available, for FREE, and even letting people use their equipment and supplies in the classrooms to sew if they don't have the means at home.
  2. Gish - same as above, but also face shields with supply lists and instructions on how to make these to donate.
  3. Kindness movements on social media to focus on the good instead of the bad.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

J3NN

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

The bar of soap I bought before the shutdown. It's my favorite scent and gives me a tremendous morale boost when I use it. Sometimes it's the little things that makes us feel a bit more human.

I just switched to soap instead of body wash, and I agree, it's so nice to have such beautiful fragrances and some TLC that is easy to sneak in.

• Like 1

J3NN

4 hours ago, J3NN said:

I just switched to soap instead of body wash, and I agree, it's so nice to have such beautiful fragrances and some TLC that is easy to sneak in.

It makes such a big difference. I make a mini daily bleach/water mix and like to add a few drops of essential oils for fragrance, rose is my favorite. It really adds something lol

• Like 1

Hmm...today I am grateful for still for having my job and that there is still plenty of work to do, that my dog is healthy and doing good, and that there are plenty of books to keep me occupied during the madness.  

• Like 1

Weird times.  But on to the good stuff.

1.  I'm grateful the MrC already was WFH and has been deemed essential.  1.1- we know some money will still come in. 1.2-I'm already accustomed to him being around all. the. time. 

2.  I  know how to plan, cook, and use leftovers in healthy-ish and tasty ways.  Combined with a renewed stamina for gardening this year and a developed interest in being less wasteful (looking at you papertowels vs washable rags,) I'm in a decent frame of mind for these new challenges.

3.  This stuff all happened at a time I was recognizing my dissatisfaction with the massage world, so now I have time to start a new learning path!  And the internet will prove useful to start.

4. Zoom/Facetime/etc.  Usually 6-8 of us (my parents, my close friend who has adopted my mom, me, spouses, et al.) get together for dinner every Thurs night.  This wasn't happening with regularity just now as the hosts are currently snowbird-ing.  But!  Tonight we are having a Zoom cocktail and snack hour, in all its make-do glory.  Though I guess this means I should wash my hair so I don't look even slightly unwell since we know how parents worry.

5.  I have an adorable Little Black Dog who needs walks almost as much as I do.  The last of our snow is melting, but she gave me great laughs yesterday as she was doing her floppy rolling in the snow.

6.  I already had an outdoor gym built and a calisthenics class in place.  And that I've always preferred to exercise at home. 

Apparently, I had a lot more than I realized as I sat down to type this up.

• Like 2

Feels like day 6,304, but it's day 4 for me... (I typed 3, really believing it was Wednesday... now I'm confused, lol) It's kind of weird to me how we're all in the same boat, but we're all on different days... Some people are counting from when the pandemic was declared, the other's the national emergency, other's more personally based on how it impacted their life... 

1. I'm grateful for a cup of Keurig coffee at home. At work, that's what we drink, when I needed a second cup today and I was able to practice that same routine at home it made me feel like things were more normal.
  2. I was able to sew a homemade face mask for my husband to wear at work since their supplies are running low. Thank goodness my dad made me learn how to sew when I became pregnant all those years ago...
  3. I was able to get my truck alignment fixed, and new tires, so that my truck will be safe... just in case things get worse before they get better.
  • Like 2

J3NN

So yesterday I should have said something but I forgot, so I'll include it today.

1. Hubby was home and cooked both lunch and dinner so I could do work and make his face masks for work, and that was a huge help for me.
  2. I got up early today and squeezed in meditation and yoga before 8 am.
  3. It's Friday, which doesn't mean as much as it used to but my Hubby gets Friday and is off all weekend, so that is something to be very grateful for.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

J3NN