Dr. WhiteGlove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Quarantine

WhiteGhost

Image result for Dr Strangelove fluoridation gif -site:pinterest.*

We are currently facing what may be the biggest crisis the world has faced in the last 100 years

Uh, sure...

So I have been doing this quarantine thing since Jan 23, which as of today comes out to be 53 days.  Excluding the fight I took to get home in mid Feb and a trip down the block to the vet last last week, I haven't been outside of our housing complex.  I do not expect the quarantine will be lifted anytime soon, but my lifestyle for the last 50 days or so is not sustainable so things are going to change around here.

The first thing that needs to change is how I eat.

Anyone remember that picture from January?  We finished off all those snacks in about a week and then resupplied.  Twice.  I calculated that I consumed more than 16,000 calories worth of mini snickers bars alone in the first 3 weeks.  Since coming back to Beijing I have eaten at least 6 cases of chocolate wafer bars.   Add in all the other snacks, and I have not exactly been eating healthy during this period.  This is going to change for this period.  No more sugary snacks.  For accountability, I will report here every single sugary snack I eat.  My target is zero, but you all will know if I go above that.  Savory snacks are going out as well, but I am not going to be as strict about those unless they become a real problem.

The second thing that needs to change is productive use of time. 

I have put in a lot of hours into Skyrim over the last few months, and it has come at the cost of all the other productive things I want to be doing.  I still have time to play a bit, but spending an entire day in my pajamas on the couch is no longer acceptable.  A key aspect to making this happen will be making sure I get to sleep on time and up in the morning at a reasonable time.  No more going to bed at 2am and sleeping until 10am.  I will spend zero week coming up with a plan for this.

The third thing that needs to change is getting in real workouts. 

I have started getting back into activity the last week or so, but honestly I have pretty much just been phoning it in.  I need to come up with an actual workout program and stick to it.   I need to have a workout plan finished by the end of zero week.

The final thing that needs to change is that I need to reach out to my friends and family more.

I usually don't interact with my family much because they are all busy with their lives and being so far away makes it feel like I don't have as much to talk about as someone who is just the next city over.  Now that distance is irrelevant, there is no reason that I can't be as active in their lives as the people who live a few minutes drive away.   And as much as I hate to say it, statistically it is likely that I may never meet some of them in person again.

Everyone stay safe and don't let the dangers out there get us

• Like 12
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Those are really sad thoughts to have about family... But I undersand.

I think we should all take example and try to organise ourselves for the quarantine time. I've already fallen in that pattern of getting up too late, and slacking on most of my healthy habits. I've been fighting it the past week, but it's still too soon to say I'm succeeding.

Wishing you the best for the new challenge!

• Like 3

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Following along.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

As a baby quarantiner (~1 week), it's already so hard keeping a routine, especially with what you said, productive use of time.  Here to see you kill it as usual and follow in your footsteps!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

I love this challenge theme to bits.

I gave myself a diet break when I started quarantining, and for about a week, I ate literally all the pasta and breakfast cereal, and whatever I felt like. Not objectively terrible, but not good macros for me. But for a week, it was what I needed. I needed to eat regularly, I needed not to cook, and I needed to not stress about it when there was so much other stuff to stress over. Literally no guilt. It was planned, and it was far from the worst plan I could have had. And roughly on schedule, I began to lose my taste for it. Well, I mean, I'd still enjoy it, but now other things also appeal, and I have the cycles to deal with feeding myself.

Which is the long way of saying, it may help to view it as a coping mechanism that has served its purpose. It wasn't a weakness or something to judge; it was picking your battles at a time when you had a lot on your plate. Now you're stabilizing. You still may need some time to get to your ideal state. That's fine. You do the job that's in front of you, and this is the first time in two months that your food choices have actually been anywhere near the job that was in front of you.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I usually don't interact with my family much because they are all busy with their lives and being so far away makes it feel like I don't have as much to talk about as someone who is just the next city over.  Now that distance is irrelevant, there is no reason that I can't be as active in their lives as the people who live a few minutes drive away.   And as much as I hate to say it, statistically it is likely that I may never meet some of them in person again.

Same, man. I mean, we'd call each other occasionally, but it's been mostly a sort of benign neglect. But now there's all sorts of reasons to be more actively social with them, from "humans need social contact, and now we have to invent it" to helping them the only realistic ways we can to, yeah, being aware how much harder it's going to be to see them any time in the next year, maybe indefinitely. (Plus, you know, yes, the actual statistical realities that haven't really sunk in here yet.)

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Damn, that's much more intense of a quarantine than we've had in the UK (so far)! I can see how it's tough for you and fitness as you were usually outside a lot for that :(

Back and here to support! (while observing all social distancing rules, of course 😛)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

In!

I read about not eating those snacks but what about limiting the amount of supplies you buy?

I'm also trying to be in touch with friends and family a bit more, especially the older ones who are pretty isolated right now.

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

13 hours ago, zenLara said:

Those are really sad thoughts to have about family... But I undersand.

I think we should all take example and try to organise ourselves for the quarantine time. I've already fallen in that pattern of getting up too late, and slacking on most of my healthy habits. I've been fighting it the past week, but it's still too soon to say I'm succeeding.

Wishing you the best for the new challenge!

Productive use of time when no one is forcing you to is a real battle.  Let's fight this one together!

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Here to give you Hell when you break out the bucket of snickers. Which you won’t ‘cause you’re awesome.

Honestly if I still had a bucket of Snickers here, I would not be so confident.  But I don't ;) 

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Gosh I really hope this won't be the case. 😥

Me too.  I really do.

12 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Let's fight those sugary snack urges togetherrr (Unless you're more the type that prefers to "just (not) do it" instead of talking about it haha)

I'm more of the "just (not) do it and then brag about it on the internet" type :P So yeah, let's do it together

11 hours ago, deftona said:

Solidarity for the bad quarantine habits, I this is only day 2/12 for me... 

I see you are getting off to a strong start on those bad quarantine habits.  

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along.

Welcome!

9 hours ago, loire said:

As a baby quarantiner (~1 week), it's already so hard keeping a routine, especially with what you said, productive use of time.  Here to see you kill it as usual and follow in your footsteps!

Don't follow too closely in my footsteps.  One, SOCIAL DISTANCING! and two, 16,000 kcals of Snickers is going to take some time to recover from :D 

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I love this challenge theme to bits.

I gave myself a diet break when I started quarantining, and for about a week, I ate literally all the pasta and breakfast cereal, and whatever I felt like. Not objectively terrible, but not good macros for me. But for a week, it was what I needed. I needed to eat regularly, I needed not to cook, and I needed to not stress about it when there was so much other stuff to stress over. Literally no guilt. It was planned, and it was far from the worst plan I could have had. And roughly on schedule, I began to lose my taste for it. Well, I mean, I'd still enjoy it, but now other things also appeal, and I have the cycles to deal with feeding myself.

Which is the long way of saying, it may help to view it as a coping mechanism that has served its purpose. It wasn't a weakness or something to judge; it was picking your battles at a time when you had a lot on your plate. Now you're stabilizing. You still may need some time to get to your ideal state. That's fine. You do the job that's in front of you, and this is the first time in two months that your food choices have actually been anywhere near the job that was in front of you.

Same, man. I mean, we'd call each other occasionally, but it's been mostly a sort of benign neglect. But now there's all sorts of reasons to be more actively social with them, from "humans need social contact, and now we have to invent it" to helping them the only realistic ways we can to, yeah, being aware how much harder it's going to be to see them any time in the next year, maybe indefinitely. (Plus, you know, yes, the actual statistical realities that haven't really sunk in here yet.)

I went way beyond what was needed, and was more just letting myself go than allowing myself to cope.   Now it's time to pay the piper.  Because the piper is in front of me demanding payment.

6 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Damn, that's much more intense of a quarantine than we've had in the UK (so far)! I can see how it's tough for you and fitness as you were usually outside a lot for that :(

Back and here to support! (while observing all social distancing rules, of course 😛)

Whoa, hey!  Very nice surprise to see you back around.  Working out inside is tough, but still doable.  The real challenge is mental, because not having people watching makes it harder to show off keep up the momentum

13 minutes ago, @mu said:

In!

I read about not eating those snacks but what about limiting the amount of supplies you buy?

I'm also trying to be in touch with friends and family a bit more, especially the older ones who are pretty isolated right now.

Image result for That the real trick isn't it -site:pinterest.*

Luckily Ghostess is also working to turn things around and seeing as she has also committed to keep sugary snacks out of the house it is going to be a lot easier :) 

• Like 6

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Here for this, obviously. You're basically the golden standard of keeping sane under quarantine. Keep being awesome.

• Like 4

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

15 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Here for this, obviously. You're basically the golden standard of keeping sane under quarantine. Keep being awesome.

Aw, you are so lovely to say that ❤️

Monday

Food

Food was generally pretty good, but one of Ghostlet's homework assignments was to make a video of him "doing something creative".  It is very broad, open assignment full of possibilities, but he decided to make an apple pie from a recipe he saw on TikTok.  The picture below is the pie that me made pretty much entirely by himself

Productiveness

I didn't play ay Skyrim at all today (yet, I may fire it up a bit now that Ghostlet is in bed) but I can't say I did a whole lot that was productive instead.  I did get out my ukulele and play through all of the songs that I learned last year, which was pretty fun.  I need to learn some new songs.  Most of the rest of the day was spent mindlessly staring at my phone.  I would say it was even less productive than Skyrim, because at least with that I see progress.  We'll call it a work in progress.

Exercise

I dis a darebee workout this morening and decided that I really don't like doing HIIT workouts.  I think going forward what I will do is low intensity strength workouts focusing on calisthenics skills, and pair that with MyFlex and some cardio on the treadmill.  Speaking of MyFlex, I finally did a module today.  First time this year :)   I have been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill after my workouts for about a week now, but only about 10 minutes of that is actually running.  Baby steps :) 

Familing

I called my dad last night and was SHOCKED that he was upset with the social restrictions people are talking about, because "only about 100 people have dies in the US, but thousands die from the flu every year" 😮 He honestly believes that this is a media induced panic to sell news and the only reason it is making the news at all is because people wouldn't care about real flu news :(  I explained to him that this is so much worse, but I'm not sure I was getting through to him...   I convinced him not to stay with his sister who just came back from a holiday in Cancun yesterday, but he is still planning to drive all over the state visiting friends and family for the next coupe of weeks.  I am really scared for him, and I think I need to talk to some other members of my family and maybe stage some kind of intervention.

Also, on a lighter note, I had a conversation with Wraith who told me that she has finished her apprenticeship and is now a full fledged assassin

Full transcript follows:

Wraith:  I've been waiting for you, Obi WhiteGhost.  The circle is now complete.  When I left you, I was but the learner. Now, I am the master!

Me: Only a master of evil, Wraith.

Wraith: Image result for cackiling cat gif -site:pinterest.*

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Level 2 Ninja

OMG WRAITH IS THE CUTEST!

AND GHOSTLET'S PIE IS GREAT!

And your father is................. sigh. I'm sorry. That sucks. I've been trying to beat sense into my mom's head for the last week and finally got through to her. I hope you can do the same.

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Unfortunately, there are many people that still think this is "just a flu" or a way to create global panic. One of my boyfriend's aunts was still laughing at it this week at the family group chat "but does this virus even exist? Haha" The comment led to an explosive argument with my bf's mom (nurse in one of the biggest hospitals in the country). I hope you can convince your dad to change his mind and stay home.

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

I

LOVE

YOUR

CAT

❤️

Sending all of the hugs for you and your family, that must be so hard being away from them and hearing talk like that.  I'm supremely grateful my mom realizes the gravity of the situation and is letting me take charge with everything. I have a co-worker who's dad has immune issues but he's so stubborn and tries to keep going to WalMart of all places, IDK how y'all deal with it!!

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

Ayoooo

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 3/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, WhiteGhost said:

He honestly believes that this is a media induced panic

I'm so sorry to hear that. My foster mom told me the same thing yesterday when we spoke. She actually told me she had just gotten back from the pottery studio where she and several other artists had been work together. She is 72! I wish older people were taking this a bit more seriously.

I'm totally shouting out for eating better. That is such a huge challenge during something like this! Best of luck

• Like 2

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

23 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Good luck with your father. My social media is still full of people calling it a hoax and minimizing it.

I wish I could be surprised by this, but actually I am just disappointed

23 hours ago, starsapart said:

OMG WRAITH IS THE CUTEST!

AND GHOSTLET'S PIE IS GREAT!

And your father is................. sigh. I'm sorry. That sucks. I've been trying to beat sense into my mom's head for the last week and finally got through to her. I hope you can do the same.

She IS!

Yes it was

I hope so too

23 hours ago, zenLara said:

Unfortunately, there are many people that still think this is "just a flu" or a way to create global panic. One of my boyfriend's aunts was still laughing at it this week at the family group chat "but does this virus even exist? Haha" The comment led to an explosive argument with my bf's mom (nurse in one of the biggest hospitals in the country). I hope you can convince your dad to change his mind and stay home.

Oh, good grief.  At least in father's case he had the excuse that he doesn't follow international news.  I hope your BF's mom was able to put a dent in your BF's aunt's thick skull.

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wooot! 

Wraith is adorable!

Sorry about your dad, that's rough. Hope your family stays healthy and safe.

I think I am going to put up more Wraith stuff this challenge.  She has a magic ability to cheer people up :) 

19 hours ago, loire said:

I

LOVE

YOUR

CAT

❤️

Sending all of the hugs for you and your family, that must be so hard being away from them and hearing talk like that.  I'm supremely grateful my mom realizes the gravity of the situation and is letting me take charge with everything. I have a co-worker who's dad has immune issues but he's so stubborn and tries to keep going to WalMart of all places, IDK how y'all deal with it!!

She's the bestest :) 

I'm glad your mom has some common sense

14 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Following for MyFlex and insights on getting through quarantine!

Welcome, I hope I can provide on at least one of those... :P 

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Following ofcourse! Good moment to turn things around a bit. 

Great to have you here.  I suspect your time will tight for next little bit getting Sophie settled in :) 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Ayoooo

Haiyo!

27 minutes ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. My foster mom told me the same thing yesterday when we spoke. She actually told me she had just gotten back from the pottery studio where she and several other artists had been work together. She is 72! I wish older people were taking this a bit more seriously.

I'm totally shouting out for eating better. That is such a huge challenge during something like this! Best of luck

Where is your common sense people?  I mean come on!

Eating well when your routine is turned on it's head is apparently harder than I thought it would be.  Let's see if I can make it work this time around

Tuesday

Food 

I finished off the rest of the Ghostlet's pie today, but avoided any other sweet snacks today.  

Productiveness

I spent few hours on Skyrim today, but I also spent some time to look up some new songs to learn for the uke.  Starting from tomorrow I will begin working on the first one from my list.

Exercise

I did a calisthenics focused workout (front levers and planches) follewd by a little bit of handstand work and then the MyFlex Pike Module.  I finished it up with 30 minutes on the treadmill 

Familing

I reached out to my sister but I didn't get any response.  I may need to figure out how to get back onto Facebook to contact her.  My dad is going to be staying at her house in a few days, so I want to see if we can team up to get him thinking straight.

In the news, Beijing announced today that we have now gone 16 days without any new "domestic" infections.  We still have some new cases every day, but they have all been from people returning to Beijing from somewhere else.  Speaking of which, as of this morning Wuhan has lifted their travel ban, so we expect to have about 3 million people who normally reside in Beijing but have been stuck in Wuhan for the last 3 months coming back to town this week.  Given all of the returnees from the hottest of the hot sppots, we will need to be extra vigilant this week while we see how this plays out.

And finally for Wraith news, a few weeks ago we had a really big scare when Ghostess started running a fever.  One of our biggest concerns was that if we got put into quarantine, there would be no one who could help us take care of Wraith.  In the event of such an emergency, we bought a set of electronic devices that can control food and water remotely.  By the ush of a phone, we can turn on her water fountain and have the food dispenser drop out a fixed portion of food.  However, we discovered a bit of an unexpected problem with this plan

She may be super cute, but she clearly isn't the sharpest tack in the box

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Level 2 Ninja