• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

h3r0

Apocalypse h3r0

Ouch, that sounds frustrating with the work situation. A suggestion if I may...?

If working in the bedroom works out for you from a noise standpoint, try and re-arrange the furniture in a way that makes a specific corner of your bedroom the Work Corner. When you stop working, turn off your monitor(s), and put the computer in rest mode, put away note books and whatever else, and then cover the corner of your bedroom somehow, so you cannot see work outside of work hours. Either drape a large sheet over the desk itself, or hang it from the ceiling like a big curtain, or something like that. The idea is that when you leave work for the day, it's completely out of your sight until you return to work the following morning. That will hopefully help your sleep hygiene, and should also help you keep that critically important separation between work and life, that can be so challenging to maintain when working from home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

twd_604_gp_0806_0064.jpg

Upper Body - Deload 

Jump Rope 

Face Pulls 

5x10 OHP 50/60/70/60/50# 

2x8 DB Curls 

Took it nice and easy. I was expecting to be sore this morning but I'm not. Stiff yes, but not sore. 

• Like 1

Unintentional off day. I forgot to set a alarm last night so overslept this morning. I can always use the rest and this is a Deload week. 

New office space is actually working out well so far. A lot more productive since I feel like I am at work instead of just monitoring the computer while I do other things in the house. Too soon to tell if it a disruption to my sleep but I slept fine last night so I may be worrying about nothing. 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 7:25 PM, h3r0 said:

Ugh I did what I didn't want to do. I have been working from home at the dining room table. The seat was uncomfortable but the area was big and I could easily interact with the wife and kids. It was ok at first but not really working out long term. My kids are in and out, I can hear the TV from the other room, and loudness all day. No good while I am on a call. 

Yeah. I don't have to do work calls, but the shelter in place definitely emphasises the smallness of our place here. Just one room with the kitchen, dining table, and sofa in it. Plus a study desk in the corner that's unusable for long periods because it's a couple of inches too tall. 

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

New office space is actually working out well so far. A lot more productive since I feel like I am at work instead of just monitoring the computer while I do other things in the house. Too soon to tell if it a disruption to my sleep but I slept fine last night so I may be worrying about nothing. 

That's great. I hope it turns out well. I think Scaly's ideas for decommissioning the work corner at the end of the work day are good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Good to hear the new space is working out for you! Feeling like I'm at work was critically important for my ability to recover my focus while working from home. I hope it works out in the long run for you, and work doesn't intrude on your sleep in any way.

• Like 1

TWD_202_0629_4480.jpg

PT

2x5 hip lifts 

2x5 prying goblet squats 

2x5 halos 

10x10 KB Swings 

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Goblet Squats 

90/90 stretch 

Low back stretch 

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog

Getting easier but still sucks around set 7 or 8.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Screenshot_20200501-152202.png

Is that a look of envy? For the sheer ease and convenience of metric? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is that a look of envy? For the sheer ease and convenience of metric? 

No, visible confusion that it isn't hamburger per bald eagle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

April challenge write-up 

Starting weight: 200 lbs 

Ending weight: 200 lbs

#1 Be a badass like Rick

Don't think I hit Rick levels of badass, but I hit my training goals, gained some muscle, and achieved a few PR's. Not a bad month at all. 

+1 STR

#2 Have the endurance of Daryl

I'm not sure how much if at all my endurance improved but I was very consistent with the daily walks with the family. One or two miles almost every day. The sunshine and mental break was welcomed.

I didn't push the jump rope but the loaded carries definitely became easier and easier. Nice side effects on my grip strength, forearms, and midsection. Something to keep in my routine. 

+1 CON

#3 Be calm like Morgan 

Hmmmm not sure how to grade myself on this one. I intended to throw myself into various pursuits and hobbies to stay busy and not go stir crazy in quarantine. I did try some art and playing music but it didn't stick. I read a couple of books but not as many as I expected. I did sink back into the bad habits of obsessively reading all the news all the time. I did let everything get to me and got short with my family for a few days before I hit the reset and told everyone sorry and I have been much better since then. 

On the bright side I finally got into a rhythm with working from home. It's still not perfect but better. I cut my own hair, it looks like I used a weed eater to do it but I actually kind of like it. Not the healthiest habit but I have really enjoyed sitting on the back porch in the afternoons and having a beer. I limit it to two, watch the birds and squirrels, and listen to music. It is a good mental break and has served as a shift from work day to home for the day. 

Like everyone else I am living through this experience and trying to survive it both literally and figuratively. I fear that things are going to get worse before they get better, regardless of how much some people are pretending otherwise. I have also learned that my career and work success are not nearly as important as my family. They were already of course, but this experience has solidified that fact in my mind that they are really the only priority and everything else really doesn't matter. Not even a little bit. 

+1 INT

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

On the bright side I finally got into a rhythm with working from home. It's still not perfect but better. I cut my own hair, it looks like I used a weed eater to do it but I actually kind of like it. Not the healthiest habit but I have really enjoyed sitting on the back porch in the afternoons and having a beer. I limit it to two, watch the birds and squirrels, and listen to music. It is a good mental break and has served as a shift from work day to home for the day. 

Like everyone else I am living through this experience and trying to survive it both literally and figuratively. I fear that things are going to get worse before they get better, regardless of how much some people are pretending otherwise. I have also learned that my career and work success are not nearly as important as my family. They were already of course, but this experience has solidified that fact in my mind that they are really the only priority and everything else really doesn't matter. Not even a little bit. 

I'm glad you found a routine that more or less works for you, and that you got some mental space away from work and lowered your stress. 

Oh, in what way do you think things are going to get worse? 

18 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh, in what way do you think things are going to get worse? 

The virus hasn't gone away. The number of new cases and deaths in each state continues to increase. There is probably a safe-ish way to open up the states but the people have to participate. Looking at pictures of the parks, beaches, and grocery stores only about 25% of the people are wearing masks and distancing themselves. (at least in my area) the rest are acting like it is just another day and are all crowded together. It's going to get bad again in the end of May. All this combined with a economic depression makes me worry.