Lateral Planet: Fury Road

Lateral Planet

31 minutes ago, J3NN said:

I wonder how well scones would freeze. I don't think I've ever seen them frozen, but at times like this it might be interesting to test... Then you could heat one up in the microwave for an emergency :)

That's a good idea! Usually if I have leftovers I bring things to work to share with my colleagues, but obviously nobody's keen to share food these days so the freezer is getting a workout. I could eat some ice cream to free up space but that wouldn't really be in the spirit of the challenge ;)

35 minutes ago, J3NN said:

I haven't had the app in ages, but now I want to download it just to see what it's like. 

It hasn't changed much, but there's a new mission type called The Home Front for home exercises. The annual virtual race is going ahead in April, but they're reminding people to do it indoors if possible, and to keep 2m away if you can run outside. I haven't been for a run in ages so I'll just walk it anyway, and if there's a lockdown by then I can just do laps of the backyard I guess.

• Like 3

Haven't done any exercise this weekend but I've done a lot of cooking. Made spaghetti bolognese for lunches next week and scones for my virtual afternoon tea today. I had an early lunch to make sure I'd have plenty of room for scones, but that was a sacrifice in aid of mental health which was totally worth it. I also shaved my legs (WAY overdue) and put on some makeup (which I never do) just to feel a bit fabulous, and even used the good china. Sometimes, especially nowadays, you've just got to treat yourself!

20200329_165252_resize_1.jpg.eea28d6d744209c51601f0133bb0154a.jpg

• Like 6

Day 1 of working from home! So far so good, although not without wrinkles. I actually had to make two trips into work, first to empty out my desk and second because I didn't set up the remote access properly. But now it's all working mostly as normal, just got to wait for some real work to come in.

The real quirk is that suddenly Husband is working from home too. Just like me, he wasn't expecting to be able to for ages, and also like me, he suddenly needed to free up his desk so that those who can't work from home can spread out for social distancing. So today was a real adjustment for us both!

Anyway, the challenge is going pretty well this week. I lost half a kilo last week despite the scones. Set up my sanctuary/workstation so it's all nice and useful. I guess the upshot of not being allowed to have visitors is that my takeover of the dining table won't be too inconvenient. Haven't done any exercise but I plan to tomorrow, maybe before Husband wakes up.

• Like 3

Got up early and did a couple of quick exercises before Husband woke up. It's dumb but I really don't like exercising with an audience. Usually I get the house to myself for about an hour in the afternoon before he gets home, but since neither of us are commuting I'll either need to get used to it or get sneakier.

I've been nibbling on leftover scones for the last couple of days but now I'm out of cream so I'll send the rest to my mother-in-law. Husband's birthday is a week away and I plan to make a cheesecake. From now until then, I'm going to do my hardest to resist the sweet stuff.

Work is a bit weird since they're still figuring out how to enable those of us at home to actually do our main task. There is a serious risk of boredom snacking right now.

Oh of course as soon as I say that I get a notification we're ready to start working, and now I've only got 15 minutes left on the clock anyway so it might as well wait until tomorrow. Well at least that means I should be fully entertained tomorrow and less likely to fill my time with chocolate.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

It's dumb but I really don't like exercising with an audience.

It's not dumb at all. Some people are just self-conscious about it (including me LOL). Love the tea set/scones!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Jupiter said:

It's not dumb at all. Some people are just self-conscious about it (including me LOL). Love the tea set/scones!

I mean, it feels like a bit of a silly hang-up since it's my husband and he's seen me in much more compromising positions 😅 I dunno, somehow the context of exercise makes it different in my brain? Anyway, I can work around it so it's all good.

I love my tea set too, it was built up over several Christmases and birthdays and I use it whenever I can. And I love scones (mostly as a vehicle for jam and cream, which I really love) but they're definitely a sometimes food!

• Like 2

Mixed results for Thursday. Had enough work to keep me entertained, cooked up a posh noodle soup for lunch because I'm bored of reheated spag bol, and had a nice warm bath with a Lush bath bomb after work. So mental health was winning for most of the day. Then the snack cravings began and didn't stop all afternoon, and I totally spoiled my dinner and now I'm feeling all gross and meh. Don't know what happened, whether it's the onset of shark week or just the self-isolation blues, but the day kind of ended with a fizz.

Big plans for Friday to compensate. Got the day off work and I intend to make the most of it. Starting early with a vet appointment, then a nice shower and shave, grocery shopping, possibly some baking, probably some cleaning. The main challenge will be to not make Husband jealous of my having the day off while he's hard at work in the same room. Going to eat the rest of the leftovers over the next couple of days and then maybe experiment with some lighter lunches next week.

• Like 3

Doing better today. Slept in a bit but had time for a shower before the vet. Did grocery shopping for us and my mother-in-law (well, most of it, there hasn't been soap on the shelf in weeks so I don't know what she's expecting. And I've done some baking, although I'll have to report back on how that went later because it's a new recipe and I haven't tried it yet. I've decided to skip the cleaning just because Husband's having a rubbish day and I don't really want to bug him with vacuuming noises and oven cleaner smells. Might fire up a video game or something instead, it's been ages!

The real upshot is I haven't done any of that mindless snacking like yesterday. I also haven't done any exercise, although I did see that Nerd Fitness is making all their courses free for a few months so I might check out the yoga program tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Aaaand I'm back in the slump, and it's totally self-inflicted. I haven't played any video games for ages, and thought it would be a fun way to pass some of the masses of spare time I suddenly have. But I forgot that modern games aren't plug-and-play anymore so I just spent the last 48 hours downloading Battlefield 1. In the meantime I put one of those dumb match-3 games on my phone, and somehow that's all I did on Saturday. I didn't even think about food until well after 1pm, but I also didn't think about water or anything other than beating the next level.

And now I'm snapping myself out of it. Today I've been weaning myself off the stupid game and now I'm going to uninstall it. I wanted some escapism but I didn't mean to completely check out like that. Lesson learnt.

• Like 2

Time for a quick recap of Week 1, going off my memory because I didn't think to write anything down. It was a weird week, including a day and a half at the office and two full days working at home, one day of productivity and two days lounging on the couch. So yeah, bit of an adjustment.

1) Eat sensibly

Had a few snacks along the way but in general food quality was pretty good. Being home meant I could cook up some garlic bread to have with my spag bol, so that was exciting. In the last couple of days, though, my water consumption slipped.

2) Exercise

Slowed down on the exercise front just because Husband seems to be around all the time, and puppy hasn't been allowed to go for a walk for a bit.

3) Sanctuary

Doing well here, especially at keeping my makeshift desk tidy, in fact the living room as a whole is looking pretty good. What I'm most proud of is my peace lily is still alive; poor thing had a rough start in life, getting scrunched by my baby nephew and then getting left in a hot car. I don't have a good record for gardening so it's basically my mission to keep this thing alive!

4) Mental health

Mostly good, although there were a couple of slumps. I think the key to success these days will be to keep busy so as not to get too engrossed in snacks and video games.

• Like 3

Here are a few things I learnt in the first week of working from home:

1) It turns out that spending 9 hours a day out of the house was doing wonders for my allergies, which are now going berserk now I'm around the puppy all the time. I really do need daily antihistamines for now or I'm a sniffly, rashy mess by dinnertime.

2) I don't have to rely on meal prep these days and I don't really need two big meals a day right now because I'm using less energy to go about my business. For now I'm going to save the big meals for dinner and for lunch I can do a cheese plate or a banana smoothie or something light like that.

3) I've saved about an hour a day of commuting, but that doesn't mean I should sleep in and slack off. Instead I can use the extra time in the morning for exercise and in the afternoon for tidying up or something.

4) Husband has a very different philosophy of working from home, lying on the couch instead of maintaining a boundary between work/home mode. I've offered to share the dining table as a desk, he doesn't want to, and now I just have to leave him be and hope he doesn't mess up his spine.

• Like 3

Monday went well, as always. I used my extra time in the morning to watch the intro video to NF Yoga. I had plenty of work to keep me occupied. I used my lunch break to whip up some banana bread, which was ready in time for a nice afternoon tea. Then we decided all three of us needed to get out of the house so we took the puppy for a walk. So that's a win for all goals!

Off to a good start today as well. I used my extra time in the morning to have a really good shower and finally shave my legs. It's been probably a month, maybe more, just for lack of effort. But it feels so good now! Anyway it's a very simple thing but it's put me in a really good mood for today, let's see if we can ride that wave all the way to dinnertime.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1
On 4/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, Lateral Planet said:

I mean, it feels like a bit of a silly hang-up since it's my husband and he's seen me in much more compromising positions 😅 I dunno, somehow the context of exercise makes it different in my brain? Anyway, I can work around it so it's all good.

I love my tea set too, it was built up over several Christmases and birthdays and I use it whenever I can. And I love scones (mostly as a vehicle for jam and cream, which I really love) but they're definitely a sometimes food!

I have this very hang-up too, although I took a liking to weightlifting just last year. Even in front of my fam who is well overweight and not even trying to lose... its not excuses, its a genuine discomfort, and that's okay. Luckily, it can be overcome though.

All this talk of tea and scones are making crave some fresh lemon poppyseed ones. Hope they were a good end last week/kickstart to this week for you! :D 

On the upside of all these quarantines, I think it's pushed a lot of us to finally check clean up computer desk off our lists lol. Just ordered a snazzy new comp chair for myself as a wooden pub chair is no bueno for 8+ hrs lol 😅

Best of luck working from home this week! Don't stay in the pjs all day, trust me! 😄

• Like 1

Tyr the Conqueror  [ Half-Dwarf | Rebel ]

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Volume: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

39 minutes ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

I have this very hang-up too, although I took a liking to weightlifting just last year. Even in front of my fam who is well overweight and not even trying to lose... its not excuses, its a genuine discomfort, and that's okay. Luckily, it can be overcome though.

Very cool! It's not like I never exercise in front of him, like he's come with me a bunch of times when I did a lot of running, but particularly with home exercises I try not to have an audience.

45 minutes ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

All this talk of tea and scones are making crave some fresh lemon poppyseed ones. Hope they were a good end last week/kickstart to this week for you! :D 

I've been doing so much baking lately! It's pretty much my main outlet, although it does use up a lot of groceries. This arvo I'll be making a cheesecake just to save on flour 😅 

Also I don't know if it's an Australian thing, but in my mind the week starts with Monday, even though NF favours Sunday-Saturday. What can I say, I'm a rebel 😝

48 minutes ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

On the upside of all these quarantines, I think it's pushed a lot of us to finally check clean up computer desk off our lists lol. Just ordered a snazzy new comp chair for myself as a wooden pub chair is no bueno for 8+ hrs lol 😅

Best of luck working from home this week! Don't stay in the pjs all day, trust me! 😄

I didn't even have a desk until last week! I'm using the dining table, and thankfully my office chair is about the right height for it. Husband has a desk and a chair but he's been mostly just working off the living room couch, the weirdo. Hope you get your new chair soon, I think everyone wants one now!

I've been very vigilant about getting into work mode vs home mode, and so far it's working for me. The real challenge will be tomorrow, which probably won't be a normal 9 to 5 but could involve starting late and overtime through to midnight. Also it'll be Husband's birthday, so I'll somehow find time to celebrate that with him. It's going to be a bit weird!

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Very cool! It's not like I never exercise in front of him, like he's come with me a bunch of times when I did a lot of running, but particularly with home exercises I try not to have an audience.

I've been doing so much baking lately! It's pretty much my main outlet, although it does use up a lot of groceries. This arvo I'll be making a cheesecake just to save on flour 😅 

Also I don't know if it's an Australian thing, but in my mind the week starts with Monday, even though NF favours Sunday-Saturday. What can I say, I'm a rebel 😝

I didn't even have a desk until last week! I'm using the dining table, and thankfully my office chair is about the right height for it. Husband has a desk and a chair but he's been mostly just working off the living room couch, the weirdo. Hope you get your new chair soon, I think everyone wants one now!

I've been very vigilant about getting into work mode vs home mode, and so far it's working for me. The real challenge will be tomorrow, which probably won't be a normal 9 to 5 but could involve starting late and overtime through to midnight. Also it'll be Husband's birthday, so I'll somehow find time to celebrate that with him. It's going to be a bit weird!

Dang... I just realized I dont know how to do that multi-quote thing in reply 😐 1st part -- For me I think I have the permanent image of goofy aerobics tapes, leg warmers and richard simmons in my head when I think of home workouts. i don't think this association will change lol.

Monday is the start of the week for me too, and thats how I draw out my calendars and weekly schedule.. so its awkward to keep flipping back to last week to remember what the heck I did on Sunday. If I don't though, I know I'll cheat a day off my challenge week. I can't be trusted...  >_>

Aww man, I think I'm one of those weirdos! I have to move all over my apt to work though. Every 30 min... new spot, new position. on the floor, on the couch, at the dinner table, in the bed, by the bed on the floor... and maybe i'll come back to the comp desk before the end of the day 🤣

Oh no! Tomorrow sounds like it'll be a boss fight! Best of luck there! 😧 :D 

• Like 1

Tyr the Conqueror  [ Half-Dwarf | Rebel ]

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Volume: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

20 minutes ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

Dang... I just realized I dont know how to do that multi-quote thing in reply 😐 

You just highlight a chunk of text in someone's post and click the little floaty box that says "Quote selection" 😊

24 minutes ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

Monday is the start of the week for me too, and thats how I draw out my calendars and weekly schedule.. so its awkward to keep flipping back to last week to remember what the heck I did on Sunday. If I don't though, I know I'll cheat a day off my challenge week. I can't be trusted...  >_>

It's funny how we all define the week differently. I did NF's Rising Heroes for a little while but I struggled to get into it because I was so out of sync with the program

27 minutes ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

Aww man, I think I'm one of those weirdos! I have to move all over my apt to work though. Every 30 min... new spot, new position. on the floor, on the couch, at the dinner table, in the bed, by the bed on the floor... and maybe i'll come back to the comp desk before the end of the day 🤣

Oh no! Tomorrow sounds like it'll be a boss fight! Best of luck there! 😧 :D 

Hey, if it works it works! I just know if I let myself use the couch during work hours it's a slippery slope to just completely checking out for the day, and I'd quite like to keep my job!

Tomorrow will be very strange, and since the higher-ups are all having to make things up as they go it's basically impossible to do any forward planning. As much as I'd like to make Husband a nice birthday dinner, it could end up being Maccas takeaway instead!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

You just highlight a chunk of text in someone's post and click the little floaty box that says "Quote selection" 😊

Alternatively, quote the post like normal and hit enter a couple times where you want to separate the quotes. Works on desktop and mobile sites, no idea about tapatalk. 

I need to catch up on your thread but I wanted to throw that out there. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

42 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Alternatively, quote the post like normal and hit enter a couple times where you want to separate the quotes. Works on desktop and mobile sites, no idea about tapatalk. 

Ooh I'm gonna try that now and hope I don't just edit your quote!

I need to catch up on your thread but I wanted to throw that out there. 

Edit: Sorry that didn't work for me, never mind! But then I've been having some tech issues lately so it probably works for others 😊

• Like 2

I survived the weird Wednesday. Thankfully I didn't have to work through til midnight, but it was still strange doing a late shift at home. It was also strange having to basically ignore Husband for most of his birthday, even though we were in the same room, because we were both working. Healthwise it was mostly good during the day, but then the evening wasn't awesome since we had Maccas for dinner and then cheesecake.

Just got to finish off Thursday and then it'll be the long weekend! I'd like to take puppy for a walk later but it's a bit chilly outside now we're getting towards winter. Oh never mind, I just looked out the window and it's started raining.

• Like 2

Friday has been a bit weird, I've been in one of those moods where I just don't know what to do with myself all day so I ended up doing almost nothing. Slept in because it was one of those rainy days perfect for sleeping in. Then  after lunch the sky cleared so I took puppy for a walk just so I could say I did something.

I'm about to have a virtual hangout with some friends, should be a boon for mental health. I think there are even plans to try playing a card game online.

• Like 2

The sun has come out this morning so I'm having another go at making bread. Not super confident about it but hopefully the bread doesn't know that and it'll just work out anyway.

Took some time during the rising to do a NF Yoga session. I feel good having done it, but still a bit awkward. I don't have a proper yoga mat (and I'm pretty sure they're sold out because everyone else had the same idea) and I'm thinking the blanket I'm using is a bit slippy. Also I have no idea what my hips are doing at any given moment, and no mirror to try and help me work it out. I'm persevering though!

OK, bread is pretty much risen so I'd better get to the next step, will report back with results.

• Like 3