• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scalyfreak vs Stir Crazy: Tales from the Bunker

Challenge goals update:

1. Continue lifting regularly with the adjustable dumbbells. I lifted against last night, and am rediscovering how difficult one-leg deadlifts are. Still no doms, thankfully. Getting closer to a finished program with two different workouts for variety. I've also noticed that doing different lifts than I've was doing with barbells is activating different muscles, that I can only assume have been neglected up util now, because the noob gains are back. I hope this doesn't mean I will outgrow the adjustable dumbbells before the quarantine is over. 

2. Continue meditating every day. The Sidekicks seem to have adjusted to the new reality of having both their humans at home all day long. Regal Sidekick especially is enjoying slower and lazier mornings with me, and is very stubbornly insisting that she participate in the meditation by laying on my lap and purring loudly. I have no objestions.

3. Continue going for daily walks in the sun with Happy Sidekick and Husband. The only day this did not happen was Monday, because my lunch break was spent on a virtual session with my therapist. She has moved all her clients to teletherapy via video conference for the foreseeable future, which I am completely fine with, since the alternative is to skip therapy and this is absolutely not an option. This made Happy Sidekick a Moping Sidekick, so we did an extra long walk on Tuesday to make up for it.

4. Find one thing every day that Procrastination thinks can wait. In keeping with the si vic pacem principle, we have stocked up on food. This includes some perishables that really should go into the freezer, which in itself is not a problem as there is plenty of room. Messy and poorly organized room. Procrastination thinks that's fine since it's just the two of us using the freezer. I on the other hand worry that a struggle to find what I want in my freezer might be the last tiny straw that sets off another firestorm if I am already stressed about something, so tonight, at some point, I will reorganize my freezer to make it more user friendly.

• Like 7
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The one in my new goals is actually the one I had every morning before I started working from home, so that on should be easy to recover. It's the evening one that are more challenging for me.  

The time has come to close the door. All preparations that can be made have been completed, up to and including the protective wards around the teleportation circle in the corner. Anything that comes

So I have spent the weekend thinking about the good advice I have read here in my own thread, and in the challenge threads I follow, and I have come to several conclusions and even, dare I say, insigh

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

1. Continue lifting regularly with the adjustable dumbbells. I lifted against last night, and am rediscovering how difficult one-leg deadlifts are. Still no doms, thankfully. Getting closer to a finished program with two different workouts for variety. I've also noticed that doing different lifts than I've was doing with barbells is activating different muscles, that I can only assume have been neglected up util now, because the noob gains are back. I hope this doesn't mean I will outgrow the adjustable dumbbells before the quarantine is over. 

They go up to ~50lb, right? At least you won't run out of OHP weight. But maybe the squats will be too easy.

58 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

The Sidekicks seem to have adjusted to the new reality of having both their humans at home all day long. Regal Sidekick especially is enjoying slower and lazier mornings with me, and is very stubbornly insisting that she participate in the meditation by laying on my lap and purring loudly. I have no objestions.

Ohhhh. That sounds nice. I'm sure purring has healing powers. 

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

They go up to ~50lb, right? At least you won't run out of OHP weight. But maybe the squats will be too easy.

They do, and I'm currently shoulder pressing them at 25 lbs, so I have some ways to go. I am actually not very worried about squats. I have a large number of alternative leg exercises I can use for lower body strengthening (walking lunges and wall sits come to mind), but when I've outgrown them on rowing, I don't know what to replace that with.

And this is The Flame of Anxiety  talking, reminding me that Bad Things could potentially happen in the future and we need to freak out about them RIGHT NOW.

You shut up, Flame of Anxiety. I will not listen to you today. 😠

36 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ohhhh. That sounds nice. I'm sure purring has healing powers. 

It actually kind of does. Apparently cats purr at the exact same frequencies as the kinds of vibration therapy that aims to promote tissue regeneration, but more than one study has shown that humans who live with hat least one cat, reduce their risk of cardiovascular health problems by about one third or so. This must obviously be entirely because of the cat.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2
1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

And this is The Flame of Anxiety  talking, reminding me that Bad Things could potentially happen in the future and we need to freak out about them RIGHT NOW.

Hahaha. I'm laughing because I know this, I know it well. I've gotten better at it, though. 

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

It actually kind of does. Apparently cats purr at the exact same frequencies as the kinds of vibration therapy that aims to promote tissue regeneration, but more than one study has shown that humans who live with hat least one cat, reduce their risk of cardiovascular health problems by about one third or so. This must obviously be entirely because of the cat.

I had heard this before, but this article is a bit clearer than what I read. Awesome. Now if only I can go home, get my girls back, and place them on my injuries. Maybe they could cure my asthma, if that's what it is.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

a good time to work on pistols or single leg squats too!

Oh, good idea! Those will help me with my deplorable balance as well.

Also, bunker update:

Our state's governor issued a Stay At Home  order today, effective immediately and to stay in effect until April 15, unless "extended, rescinded, superseded, or amended in writing" and the amendment has to be by the State Director of Health & Welfare. I am actually less stressed about the pandemic now, because we are finally taking steps to protect each other in my state as well. I now resume my quarantine.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Apparently cats purr at the exact same frequencies as the kinds of vibration therapy that aims to promote tissue regeneration, but more than one study has shown that humans who live with hat least one cat, reduce their risk of cardiovascular health problems by about one third or so. This must obviously be entirely because of the cat.

Oh interesting. 

That's really exciting to hear on the SIP order - a lot of my anxiety was relieved when Dallas started tightening their orders and my office switched to WFH for everyone who could.

Your pet stories are making me seriously consider adopting or fostering, but I'm not gonna pull the trigger (yet).

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Your pet stories are making me seriously consider adopting or fostering, but I'm not gonna pull the trigger (yet).

Pets are fantastic company. For apartment living cats especially make fantastic room mates. :) 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Pets are fantastic company. For apartment living cats especially make fantastic room mates. :) 

Definitely! I'm seriously considering it, but I'd need to:

1. Research whether or not my current houseplants are safe if the cat were to explore and nibble
  2. Look into how cat proof in general my apartment is
  3. Learn how to actually take care of a cat
  4. Wait for shelters to reopen so I can consider adopting one (thankfully, they're closed during quarantine)

Still a very distinct possibility, but not happening in the near near future.

• Like 2

Cats do tend to treat plants like they are their personal salad buffet. However, smart cats can typically be convinced to compromise and leave your plants alone if you provide them with their own cat plant that they are allowed to eat as much as they want . Pet stores sell cat grass, and even catnip plants, that can be used for this purpose, and they usually like grazing on grass because it helps their digestion.

And there is no such thing as "fully cat proof". Cats are intelligent problem solvers and when they get bored, nothing is safe from them. You have been warned. 🐱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Definitely! I'm seriously considering it, but I'd need to:

1. Research whether or not my current houseplants are safe if the cat were to explore and nibble
  2. Look into how cat proof in general my apartment is
  3. Learn how to actually take care of a cat
  4. Wait for shelters to reopen so I can consider adopting one (thankfully, they're closed during quarantine)

Still a very distinct possibility, but not happening in the near near future.

Don't sweat 1 and 2. The real appeal of cats is that, unlike dogs and toddlers, the vast majority of them are not complete idiots. In centuries of people owning cats, I'd be surprised if the number who died from nibbling a pointsettia was more than two. They're probably safer in your house than you are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
16 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Don't sweat 1 and 2. The real appeal of cats is that, unlike dogs and toddlers, the vast majority of them are not complete idiots. In centuries of people owning cats, I'd be surprised if the number who died from nibbling a pointsettia was more than two. They're probably safer in your house than you are.

Yes, this too. Even cats that are idiots by cat standards are smarter than most young children I've met... ;) 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

And there is no such thing as "fully cat proof". Cats are intelligent problem solvers and when they get bored, nothing is safe from them. You have been warned. 🐱

16 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Some cats are a bit silly, though. My big ginger girl is not blessed with intelligence. She used to get lost in the kitchen (there's an island). Sometimes I would have to lead her to her food bowl because she'd mew at me after I served the food (because it was out of sight of the place she would wait at). We also put up nets over the windows in case they felt the need to jump out. It obviously wasn't totally paranoid because the neighbours cat did just that, and broke its hip. The only other thing I worry about is picking up and throwing away little bits of plastic or string they could choke on. Also, cats can have very different personalities. Some are aloof and independent, others are snuggly and affectionate. Gotta get the right one for you. And be prepared to pay a sitter if you want to go away. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Also, cats can have very different personalities. Some are aloof and independent, others are snuggly and affectionate. Gotta get the right one for you.

One of the joys of cats is watching those personalities develop and thrive over time. Adult cats from a shelter often take a while to warm up to their new human and fully bond with them, and they won't show off their full personality until that happens.

On that note, please adopt an adult or senior cat. Everyone wants the kittens, without realizing what the the baby year and teenager phase really means, and meanwhile the older cats sometimes sit in the shelter for months because they're not "cute little kittens", or because they are afraid and stressed in the shelter environment, so they don't act friendly to visitors. And for some reason, no one wants black cats. :( 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Same! Though I do feel it's a little wrong to keep, and breed animals, to keep them for my own personal entertainment in a flat where they can't go outside freely. I don't think bad about anyone who does but I feel a bit weird and selfish about it. Then again, my morals are a little slippery so I probably could work around it. ;) But there's also the whole moving country every so often/traveling/wanting to set everything on fire thing...

• Like 2