• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scaly Freak

Scalyfreak vs Stir Crazy: Tales from the Bunker

Following.

I like the way you are directly targeting the difficult things in your life.

On 3/28/2020 at 3:52 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Just because humans are happy and comfortable living in a box doesn't mean it's good for them or that they should never be let out. I don't see why the same shouldn't be true for cats.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, Harriet said:

Domestic cats are not that different to wild cats except in their temperament & reaction to humans, I think. 

Cats are one of the domestic animals that can most easily adapt to going feral. This leads to an excellent philosophy question.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, Harriet said:

When it comes to pets, I think they're doing fine. They're generally free from distress, and they have opportunities to act out natural behaviours. For cats, that includes hunting, grooming, nesting and sleeping. Of course, their hunting is just play, but it seems close enough to make them happy. It's closer than most humans get to an ideal life free from distress and with the opportunity to perform natural behaviours... I think this life might even be more pleasing to them than a wild life. Keep in mind nature doesn't give a toss if its creatures are happy or stressed out of their minds. It only cares that they live long enough to reproduce. So losing a little bit of wildness can be a net positive for a lot of creatures.

I agree with Harriet that I think we do well by our cats as pets.

Going outside may make a domestic cat happy, but it will reduce the expected lifespan by half or more. Between exposure to diseases, predators, traffic and other hazards, cats that go outside are far more likely to die young. Humans and cats made a deal several thousand years ago. The cats protect our food from rodents and we give the cats a safe place to live. This has been a very good deal from the point of view of the overall cat population.

Just take a look at the population of wild felines in Europe and North America. You find a lot of feral cats in cities, where they have a symbiotic relationship with lonely little old ladies (I am not making this up, someone did a research study in New York). There are some cats that make a living on the outskirts of farms. There are few if any cats that live and reproduce in nature preserves away from humans. There is just too much predation and disease pressure on wild cats. I once asked a farmer friend about their barn cats. She wasn't worried about getting them spayed or neutered because the survival rate of the kittens was less than 10%. Owls and foxes got most of them. Our cats survive because we protect them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Cats are one of the domestic animals that can most easily adapt to going feral. This leads to an excellent philosophy question.

I'm not sure there's a conclusive answer on whether cats were ever officially domesticated. The truth looks a great deal more like them domesticating us, I believe. :)

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Going outside may make a domestic cat happy, but it will reduce the expected lifespan by half or more.

Statistically reduce, which is subtly different, along the lines of "everyone died at 35 in the middle ages". (Statistically true, actually false. People in the middle ages lived to about 70, if they survived toddlerhood. And a cat that makes it to adulthood going outside is likely to live as long as an indoors cat, in my experience. Maybe not a risk you want to take with a kitten, but it's not like they can all be expected to die at 10 years old.) 

I've known a lot of indoor/outdoor cats live very healthily to about 20, which is a good lifespan for a cat. And healthier than if they'd been indoors, because the exercise available to them was really good for them; they were in perfect health till the very end. (Actually, the thing that killed most of them was domestication: a lot of dry food eventually causes kidney problems. A few more field mice and squirrels probably wasn't a bad thing for them.) I've also known a fair number of indoor/outdoor cats who found that puberty and roads were a really bad mix. (Unfixed male cats in particular tend to start wandering around then.)

I don't really judge people who choose either one for their pet. There are pros and cons for the cat to keeping cats inside and letting them out. There are more risks outside, indoor cats struggle to get enough exercise and are often a little more neurotic, because they're not totally domestic. It's not a perfect choice either way. (I also have no issues with cats being working pets, like barn cats or bodega cats or brewery cats, which might necessitate going outside or living outside.)

I'm perfectly comfortable with indoors cats, but when it's possible, I'm more comfortable with a cat that can figure out the outside, because cats do get out. They actively try to. A cat that has some experience outside develops a sense of territoriality and where home is, and develops good common sense around the dangers outside. Indoors cats that sneak out don't always have those things, and it makes the occasional getting loose a lot more dangerous. They get lost, they don't know what to do with roads... it's like a toddler who never got taught their phone number and how to cross the street.

But I think, also, I tend to think of cats as always working pets, to some degree. They may be pretty well cared for, but the foundation isn't going to patrol itself for mouse holes and my garden isn't going to deter its own rabbits, is it? :)  

I also think most cats have pretty good common sense. It's like cat-proofing your houseplants; in theory it's keeping them safe, but in practice, the number of cats who eat plants that are bad for them... well, I'd be surprised if it was more than 1 in 1,000, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were a whole lot less. They're pretty damn smart about their own safety. I don't really worry about cats who have outdoor experience doing stupid things outside, they tend not to. A lot of them don't even like going outside a lot, and the ones that do are the ones I'm least worried about being able to take care of themselves. I'm generally okay letting an averagely clever cat make it's own choices. Mostly, cats need me for warm snuggles and opposable thumbs to use the can opener, but not really protection.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Reading this, I see three solutions.

1. Get a naked cat. Or shave it.

2. Match all your furniture and clothing to the cat. Make sure all your cats have the same color.

3. Dye your cat.

Well obviously the 2nd option is the best one. Since the cat rules the house anyway. ;) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

I also think most cats have pretty good common sense. It's like cat-proofing your houseplants; in theory it's keeping them safe, but in practice, the number of cats who eat plants that are bad for them... well, I'd be surprised if it was more than 1 in 1,000, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were a whole lot less. They're pretty damn smart about their own safety. I don't really worry about cats who have outdoor experience doing stupid things outside, they tend not to. A lot of them don't even like going outside a lot, and the ones that do are the ones I'm least worried about being able to take care of themselves. I'm generally okay letting an averagely clever cat make it's own choices. 

And as they age, they go outside a lot less, because they know they are slower than they used to be, and they are wise and wish to live in comfort.

Excuse me while I pet my 16 years old Regal Sidekick for a while. :) 

• Like 4

So, I start to finally follow this thread and I discover y'all having conversations about quantum cats und die Freuden Deutsch zu lernen? Awesome!

On 3/23/2020 at 2:01 AM, Scalyfreak said:

including the protective wards around the teleportation circle in the corner

:D:lol:MrGreen.svg

And speaking of German, quantum physics and experiments (don't ask, there's a very logical link between all of those things and the following):

On 3/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, Scalyfreak said:

She has moved all her clients to teletherapy via video conference for the foreseeable future, which I am completely fine with

A psychotherapist friend of mine has to decide whether or not she's going to do that with her patients. She's leaning toward it but some patients are reluctant. Could you give me more feedback on your experience on the client's side? Are you still fine with it?

7 minutes ago, Jean said:

A psychotherapist friend of mine has to decide whether or not she's going to do that with her patients. She's leaning toward it but some patients are reluctant. Could you give me more feedback on your experience on the client's side? Are you still fine with it?

Perfectly fine with it. However, I'm probably a lot more comfortable than average around computers and other communication technology, and I have spent several years using video conferences to communicate with my family who live in another country. In other words , it wasn't the first time I was trying something new and scary, and I have long since gotten over feeling self-conscious about being on camera while I'm talking to a person on my laptop. Honestly, the most annoying part for me was that my laptop's antivirus decided the teletherapy software was malicious and locked it down, and it refused to obey me when I tried to override the lock-down.

My therapist had a few pages printed out about how teletherapy works, how she manages cancellations, how billing will work now, poor internet connections, et cetera. There was also a consent form I had to sign where I declared that I agreed and understood that I am responsible for making sure that I have complete privacy for the session, and if I forget to close the door, that's on me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jean said:

Thanks! I guess technology can be frightening sometimes, glad it's working out for you.

Me too! The alternative was to take a break from therapy, and that is definitely not an option.

• Like 2

General challenge goal update for all four goals:

Procrastination is winning, and Self-Sabotage is laughing at me. Spoilered because wall of text.

Spoiler

Okay, it's not quite that bad, but it is definitely not going well either.

Working from home has led to a loss of daily routines, and several of them were my triggers for maintaining my healthy habits. Combine that with being isolated at home, and it has taken me less than two weeks to become mentally exhausted, overwhelmed by the news from all over the world, frustrated with my local government's refusal to take the pandemic seriously, and suffering more than I expected from the lack of human contact.

That last one, I did not expect. I failed to realize that the amount of human contact I get from people at the office every day, as well as from my volunteer group, was an important part in subduing the Flame of Anxiety, and I no longer have that. The organisation I volunteer for cancelled all in-person events in early March, anticipating how bad it would get and not wanting to put anyone at risk. In addition to the lack of people contact, my drive to work, and from work, and my lunch break trip to obtain food from nearby lunch restaurants gave me over an hour to be only me all by myself every day, and I no longer have that. 

All of the above has led to a complete lack of focus on everything. Sleep has gone downhill in both quantity and quality, and I have lost focus and motivation with my work, and with staying active. I have been deliberately skipping both lifting and walks with Happy Sidekick because "it's too much work right now", or "I can do it later", and then just not done them. This is the beginning of a slippery slope that should alarm me, but I was not able to make myself care enough to feel alarmed.

This is all a series of bad signs that should have made me more worried than I was last night.

Today I gave in to the lethargy and allowed it to infiltrate my workday, and spent too much time on these forums, but I think that was good for my mental state. I have lifted now, and I have had honest conversations with Husband about what needs to happen to help me maintain good mental health during the Stay At Home weeks ahead of us. And then I had an honest conversation with Husband about what he needs, because that matters just as much.

One of the things I realized is that I need to re-calibrate my goals. The ones I initially set were intended to help me stay on an even mental health keel for the duration of this challenge, since good mental health is the foundation for all other forms of health. The goals I set at the beginning of Zero Week are not getting the job done, so they need to change. I will need another day or so to determine the exact nature of these changes and what my goals genuinely need to be. Stay tuned for updates.

• Like 4

Well done for recognizing the signs and nipping them in the bud! One would think it'd be easier for introverts, but I honestly think it's just as hard. Without the forced contact it's all too easy to not reach out and slip into full on hermit mode, but truth is we still need social contact to function well. 

• Like 2

I hadn’t expected to be missing the human contact so much either... glad you’ve recognised you need more/different goals to keep you healthy in this situation. And it’s great that you have a relationship in which you can help each other figure these things out :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad you're taking the time to think the necessary thoughts and find what will work for you. We're all sort of blundering around in the dark with this situation, so I think it's completely normal not to get it right immediately. Realizing things need to change is the crucial starting point of changing them, though. Good luck. You got this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

General challenge goal update for all four goals:

Procrastination is winning, and Self-Sabotage is laughing at me. Spoilered because wall of text.

Hide contents

Okay, it's not quite that bad, but it is definitely not going well either.

Working from home has led to a loss of daily routines, and several of them were my triggers for maintaining my healthy habits. Combine that with being isolated at home, and it has taken me less than two weeks to become mentally exhausted, overwhelmed by the news from all over the world, frustrated with my local government's refusal to take the pandemic seriously, and suffering more than I expected from the lack of human contact.

That last one, I did not expect. I failed to realize that the amount of human contact I get from people at the office every day, as well as from my volunteer group, was an important part in subduing the Flame of Anxiety, and I no longer have that. The organisation I volunteer for cancelled all in-person events in early March, anticipating how bad it would get and not wanting to put anyone at risk. In addition to the lack of people contact, my drive to work, and from work, and my lunch break trip to obtain food from nearby lunch restaurants gave me over an hour to be only me all by myself every day, and I no longer have that. 

All of the above has led to a complete lack of focus on everything. Sleep has gone downhill in both quantity and quality, and I have lost focus and motivation with my work, and with staying active. I have been deliberately skipping both lifting and walks with Happy Sidekick because "it's too much work right now", or "I can do it later", and then just not done them. This is the beginning of a slippery slope that should alarm me, but I was not able to make myself care enough to feel alarmed.

This is all a series of bad signs that should have made me more worried than I was last night.

Today I gave in to the lethargy and allowed it to infiltrate my workday, and spent too much time on these forums, but I think that was good for my mental state. I have lifted now, and I have had honest conversations with Husband about what needs to happen to help me maintain good mental health during the Stay At Home weeks ahead of us. And then I had an honest conversation with Husband about what he needs, because that matters just as much.

One of the things I realized is that I need to re-calibrate my goals. The ones I initially set were intended to help me stay on an even mental health keel for the duration of this challenge, since good mental health is the foundation for all other forms of health. The goals I set at the beginning of Zero Week are not getting the job done, so they need to change. I will need another day or so to determine the exact nature of these changes and what my goals genuinely need to be. Stay tuned for updates.

I think I totally understand. Even as an introvert, it pleases me to be out in the world and see people. At home I've been lounging around in home clothes with the same bun every single day for the last two weeks. Why try? I don't know what goals would help with keeping the sloth and procrastination away, but good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, a lot of us are running into similar challenges.

10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Hide contents

You have neatly identified the issues. I am sure you already have found solutions to implement. Just in case Procrastination is making that hard, here is what I see.

Routines are things we do to make our lives go better. You had one that included commuting, lifting at a gym and getting lunch near your work. Your current routine does not have any of those things. Version one of work-from-home turned out to have some major gaps. Time to write version two.

Version two is an experiment. It is not intended as a long-term solution. After a week or two of testing version two, you will write version three. Life will get better. You've got this.

10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I have been deliberately skipping both lifting and walks with Happy Sidekick because "it's too much work right now", or "I can do it later", and then just not done them. This is the beginning of a slippery slope that should alarm me, but I was not able to make myself care enough to feel alarmed.

Both lifting and walks make you feel better. So you know you need to schedule them in your day. None of this "later" nonsense. There is a time when these activities fit well with your other responsibilities and that is when you do them. Because you are a Warrior and that is how you do things.

I found that I tend to think "Oh, I don't have to drive half an hour so I can sleep in". Wrong. I still need that time to get up and do my morning routine. My brain wants to think that because I'm home it must be a weekend. No brain, not true. I like having the quiet environment to work, but I miss the conversations with my coworkers. I also miss having to walk down the hall to make a cup of tea. Sitting still too long is actively bad for my knees. I need to remind myself to get up and stretch.

Like you, I discovered that I used my evening commute to get my brain reset from my work day. Half an hour of listening to podcasts or practicing French lessons let me put work behind me. Yesterday I went out and raked the yard after work. That helped a lot. It didn't hurt that all my neighbors had been doing the same thing. My lawn is no longer the scruffy one on the block. It's never going to be manicured, but at least it doesn't look abandoned. Getting outside and moving after sitting in front of a computer for hours is a good way to reset.

One other important point - limit your time reading the news. Most of the things going on in the world are outside our control. Pick and choose your new access so you can feel connected without being overwhelmed. Focus your attention on those areas where you do have control and can make a difference. The rest is just media noise. Remember the Polar Vortex? It was all the media could talk about at the time. This is the same, just with a little more actual news involved. If you do not need to have outside information to make decisions, it can wait. Having extraneous information that is not personally relevant to you is just feeding your brain weasels.

On good days you already know all this. Make today a good day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reading these replies have made me feel a lot better. THANK YOU.

It is highly ironic that in my last therapy appointment, that I had my first day of working from home, we talked about the importance of keeping a good routine, of not neglecting lifting workouts and going on walks, and of making sure I could still get lots of human contact. 

I have basically done this to myself:

Day 1 in quarantine

Extrovert: "Oh no, I will go crazy without people. I have to figure out how to stay in touch with all my friends and start doing it RIGHT NOW!"

Introvert: "Finally I can be all by myself all the time and not have to go anywhere! This is going to be awesome!

Day 12 in quarantine

Extrovert: "I'm so glad my friends and I scheduled these regular happy hours and game nights so we can still see each other on video chat!"

Introvert: ARGH HELP I NEED PEOPLE WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME I AM SO ALONE

And Mistr is right, on a good day I know all the things that all of you have reminded me of. I just forget when the Flame of Anxiety starts roasting my brain cells with a lack of physical activity and people interactions, and sudden loss of a number of important routines.

I will think more about what I need to do and post a more detailed response with adjusted goals and a new game plan, at some point this weekend. For right now, I need to wrap up the morning's work so I can spend my lunch breaks outside in the sun with Happy Sidekick. :) 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I have basically done this to myself:

Day 1 in quarantine

Extrovert: "Oh no, I will go crazy without people. I have to figure out how to stay in touch with all my friends and start doing it RIGHT NOW!"

Introvert: "Finally I can be all by myself all the time and not have to go anywhere! This is going to be awesome!

Day 12 in quarantine

Extrovert: "I'm so glad my friends and I scheduled these regular happy hours and game nights so we can still see each other on video chat!"

I love your beautifully accurate and relatable rendering of the introvert. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Day 1 in quarantine

Day 12 in quarantine

Literally me a few weeks back. 😆I even had a little cry. 

Now I've pretty much accepted that this is the new reality for the foreseeable future and I make sure to talk to people. It helps a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

For right now, I need to wrap up the morning's work so I can spend my lunch breaks outside in the sun with Happy Sidekick. :) 

Update: Went for a much longer walk than usual, since the weather outside was so very nice. Happy Sidekick has turned into Blissfully Exhausted Sidekick and has effectively crashed on the carpet next to my desk. Sunlight is good and calming for everyone, not just for anxious pyromancers. :) 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

On 4/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Update: Went for a much longer walk than usual, since the weather outside was so very nice. Happy Sidekick has turned into Blissfully Exhausted Sidekick and has effectively crashed on the carpet next to my desk. Sunlight is good and calming for everyone, not just for anxious pyromancers. :) 

Yesterday was beautiful, here, too. Sunlight is precious. 

So I have spent the weekend thinking about the good advice I have read here in my own thread, and in the challenge threads I follow, and I have come to several conclusions and even, dare I say, insights about my situation. @Mistr was absolutely right with this statement:

On 4/3/2020 at 10:43 AM, Mistr said:

Routines are things we do to make our lives go better. You had one that included commuting, lifting at a gym and getting lunch near your work. Your current routine does not have any of those things. Version one of work-from-home turned out to have some major gaps. Time to write version two.

In addition to writing a Version 2 that lets me build new routines that keep the Flame of Anxiety subdued and cooperative, I need to build one that lets me adjust it on the fly as circumstances change and as I discover what works and what does not. The goal is to only need to adjust Version 2 later, rather than once again be forced to completely discard it and start over with a Version 3 (unless that becomes absolutely vital for sanity of course).

Without further ado, I proudly present to you, Tales From the Bunker, v 2.0:

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Dark-Souls-2-bonfire1-e1380573362553.jpg

Resting at the bonfire restores all healing items, spells, and health, and it is also where players rekindle (= restore) humanity and become alive again. For this goal, resting at the bonfire symbolizes my efforts to build replacements for the routines I lost when I started working from home. I need a morning routine that clearly signals that it is time to go to work now. I need an end-of-day routine that clearly marks the end of my work day and helps me make the shift to off-work mode. And I need one for the break from work in the middle of the day, one that gets me away from the work room by taking me out of the house if at all possible. That one will be detailed under Goal 2. For goal one, I will make an attempt to build two new daily routines, for work days. For the duration of my stay in the bunker, references to going to and from work, refers to the act of going to and from the upstairs guest bed room where my home office has been set up.

Morning routine:

• Get out of bed when alarm goes off - no snoozing or second alarm allowed!

• Feed the Sidekicks and make coffee

• Do the skincare morning routine, including sunscreen

• Coffee and meditation

• Do makeup and hair and get dressed for work

• Take phone charger, and go to work

End-of-Day routine:

• Take phone charger with me when I leave work

• Change out of work clothes into sweat pants and comfy top

• Take a minimum of 30 minutes to myself before socializing with Husband again

• During these 30 minutes, do my German lessons in Duolingo. The German will be the signal to my brain that we are not at work anymore.

The end-of-day routine may need lots of tweaking, as I am still hazy on what will actually work there. I’m calling it a work in progress right now.

2. Praise the Sun

tenor.gif

Sunlight is critical for mental health. I am not going to go into details, partly because I’m hazy on them and would need a refresher first, and partly because I know I don’t need to in this particular little community.

To make sure The Flame is exposed to sunlight I will turn my lunch break into a Walk Outside Break. Happy Sidekick will join me, since she also needs sunlight and exercise, and as additional incentive to me to go when I don’t feel like it.

Weather exception: I own a raincoat and a pair of water resistant track pants. If the weather is not severe enough that they make no difference, weather is no excuse.

Non-negotiable exception: My appointments with my therapist are during my Monday lunch break every two weeks. During these Mondays, walking in the sun will become a part of my end-of-day routine instead.

3. Attribute Increases

overload.jpg

Lifting makes me happy, and keeps The Flame of Anxiety at bay. My routine to go to the gym and lift was scheduled in my Google calendar, but I removed those recurring calendar events when the gym closed. I think that was a mistake, and I need to schedule workouts again. Effective immediately, lifting is scheduled to take place on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, in the evening. I will continue to follow the little program I created with two different workouts, and track them in the Fitness Logbook that Husband gave me for my birthday back in February.

4. It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this Jolly Cooperation.

UglyMetallicAmericancicada-size_restrict

So apparently we introverts need human contact too. Since I keep forgetting that, I am hereby scheduling social interaction for myself:

Family:

My parents and siblings, who still live in Sweden, have made a point of reaching out to us in the social media apps we use to stay in contact. Since I have my parents in one app, and my siblings in another, my new goal is to proactively reach out to at least one of the two groups everyday, even if it only is to post a funny meme or tell them we’re still fine and I’m going to bed now.

Socialize with these forums:

Check in every day. Ideally, I will interact in other rebels’ threads and talk to people there. At the very bare minimum permitted, I must is to check my own thread and respond to anything that needs responding. I also must post an update on my goals every day.

Nerdfitness D&D:

Daily contact! To my great joy and good fortune, I am now a part of a D&D campaign with a group of new and not-so-new friends from this forum. We have a Discord server, created by our noble DM, that I can access from my phone during my work day. Since the campaign is being played partially in an in-game channel on the server, I will check this Discord every day, most likely in the evenings after work during the work week. I will post as much or as little as I need to in order to remain a full participant and not delay the fun for the rest of the (outstanding!) group.

Old friends:

We have a Discord server that long ago was created for old friends who were in danger of drifting apart due to geographic distances. This sever has come back to life with everyone being in quarantine, and for my new goal, I will also check in with this sever every day. Posting is optional, but encouraged. If this friend group schedules a group event online, I will do my best to join, even if I’m only an observer. The same goes for my NaNoWriMo community, specifically the cabin group reunion we created for the April Camp this year. Check in every day. Posting encouraged but optional.

I will update the opening post with my new goals. Version 2 officially kicks off on Monday, April 6th. :) 

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 4

Excellent. It seems like a great idea to have a separate area for work, and the wind up/down routines to let you know it's work/not work. I hope version two works well for you.

• Like 1

Yay! These look like good adjustments. I agree that having a daily routine is vital to maintaining sanity. I hope the new one works well for you.

I'm also really stoked for the real time discord play, though I'm also constantly telling myself to simmer down and not post 174923409870892345 times a day 😅

• Haha 2