• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scaly Freak

Scalyfreak vs Stir Crazy: Tales from the Bunker

16 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I am now a part of a D&D campaign with a group of new and not-so-new friends

I eagerly await the fan art, campaign summaries, and overall shenanigan highlights of your adventures :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Version 2 officially kicks off on Monday, April 6th. :)

Awesome! I love every part of it. As well as all of Mistr's advice and enlightenment.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Dark-Souls-2-bonfire1-e1380573362553.jpg

Morning routine: Yes.

I had to get up a half hour earlier to fit all the pieces in, and it was completely worth it. Lets hope that lasts beyond Day 1!

End-of-Day routine: Therapy exception.

We have now learned that when Scalyfreak does not get out of the house for her lunch break, she needs a lot more than 30 minutes to herself after work. We will adjust for next appointment.

Therapist laughed with me at “remember these things we talked about that I should be doing?”, and suggest that I add to my end-of-day routine to replace routine I do in the office before leaving. The wrapping up of things, like emptying the trash, cleaning the coffee mug, rebooting the computer, and so on, that tells the brain that day is over now. I will think on this and make efforts to replace those steps in my home office as well.

2. Praise the Sun

tenor.gif

Walk outside:

Yes, after work, in the sun with Husband and Happy Sidekick (Should have gone alone, for a full brain reset. Lesson learned.)

3. Attribute Increase

overload.jpg

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: - It’s Monday today.

4. It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this Jolly Cooperation.

UglyMetallicAmericancicada-size_restrict

Family: Yes. I sent this video to my parents:

Spoiler

Socialize with these forums: Yes, in lots of threads.

Nerdfitness D&D: Yes, checked in and posted.

Old friends: Yes. Checked in, but not posting.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I had to get up a half hour earlier to fit all the pieces in, and it was completely worth it. Lets hope that lasts beyond Day 1!

Excellent. And I liked the lovely song. We need more covid songs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Yes. I sent this video to my parents:

Nice one.  I just copied that and sent it to my family as well :) 

I may have gone down a Youtube rabbit hole while I was at it in search of more Covid songs..

• Like 2

Nice job on version two!

I've seen other sources talk about end of the work day routines much like yours. That makes a lot of sense. Knowing that you have taken care of things for today and have everything in place for tomorrow makes it easy to let it go for the evening.

I hear you on needing personal space after work. On days when I've had to be polite and positive for 8 hours, I need to decompress so that I don't take out my frustrations on my family. You can rant to Happy Sidekick about those annoying people and he won't mind.

• Like 3

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Morning routine: Yes, did all parts of it again. Day 2 felt good as well. I think I’m on to something here.

End-of-Day routine:

Yes, tried something new. Current experimental end-of-day routine is:

• Save all work and close down apps and programs

• Actually say goodbye/goodnight to at least one co-worker, don’t just sign off.

• Close notebook where I take manual meeting notes and put it and my pen away

• Reboot computer

• Sit on the guest bed across the room and color at least two pictures in my Happy Colors phone app

• Take the phone charger with me when I leave

• Sit alone in Dragon Cave and do German in Duolingo

I will do this sequence of events at the end of the workday for the rest of this week and reevaluate on Friday.

2. Praise the Sun

Walk outside: Yes! We went for a long walk over lunch, that felt lot like meandering endlessly back and forth across the par in efforts to avoid everyone else who in turn did their best to avoid us. Fun times. We saw lots of delivery trucks.

3. Attribute Increase

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: I was going to lift and try band face pulls tonight, since it’s Tuesday, but I was so tired I fell asleep after dinner instead. Napping was nice, but now I need to adjust the workouts for this week and do them tomorrow and Friday instead.

Family: Yes. Chatted with siblings about home made cloth masks in our group chat.

Socialize with these forums: Yes, in lots of threads through the day

Nerdfitness D&D: Yes, checked in and posted on my lunch break and in the evening

Old friends: Yes. Checked in and also posted

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

morning routines are always the hardest and I continue to struggle with them after years.

Yes, this, so much this.

That said, your new after work routine looks good! Hoe it works well for you.

• Like 1

Ok this is going to sound silly and I do blame hormones... but I’m really proud of you and how you’re tackling this! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Walk outside: Yes! We went for a long walk over lunch, that felt lot like meandering endlessly back and forth across the par in efforts to avoid everyone else who in turn did their best to avoid us. Fun times. We saw lots of delivery trucks.

It feels like an old school arcade style game where I just keep going forward but I can use the left and right buttons to avoid oncoming obstacles. Maybe they're bombs. Maybe they're spike traps. Maybe they're pixellated squares of lava. What will I get at the end? Maybe a bunch of worms will congregate, turn into a foot, and fly me to the next level. 

• Like 1

Yay for successful implementation of your new routine!

I've also been doing a lot of Duolingo (French). PM me if you want to add each other as friends.

15 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

morning routines are always the hardest and I continue to struggle with them after years.

The one in my new goals is actually the one I had every morning before I started working from home, so that on should be easy to recover. It's the evening one that are more challenging for me.

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ok this is going to sound silly and I do blame hormones... but I’m really proud of you and how you’re tackling this! 

It sounds more encouraging than silly from where I am. Your post made me realize that as little as a year ago, I would barely have been able to handle this at all, and things would have gone to a very bad place with lots of anxiety fire burning my mental health alive. And this realization made me feel really good. I've leveled up since then. I can handle this.

Thank you. :) 

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

It feels like an old school arcade style game where I just keep going forward but I can use the left and right buttons to avoid oncoming obstacles. Maybe they're bombs. Maybe they're spike traps. Maybe they're pixellated squares of lava. What will I get at the end? Maybe a bunch of worms will congregate, turn into a foot, and fly me to the next level. 

It's kind of like Pac Man, if it was multiplayer, and we all were ghosts for each other.

And it's in a sense encouraging to see how everyone else who is out is trying so hard to social distance by veering off the paved path onto the lawn where necessary, stopping to let people pass, and so on, all of us working together as best we can to avoid spreading this virus to each other. This joint team effort between strangers helps the flame settle down to a simmer.

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

I've also been doing a lot of Duolingo (French). PM me if you want to add each other as friends.

I actually did not know Duolingo has a friends list.  I will have to find it now!

Goals update:

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Morning routine: Still doing well, but I forgot to bring the phone charger up to work with me. Today that was not a big deal, because I had so many conference calls and training sessions I was hardly on my phone at all. However, on normal days when I do the bulk of my work, the phone runs my pomodoro timer, and it also has the coloring book app. I'm trying to train my brain to reach for the coloring book app whenever it has the urge to go to Facebook or Twitter to look for updates about COVID-19, so the phone needs to be nearby and well charged.

End-of-Day routine:  Repeated the new routine and still felt good about it. I especially like the part where rebooting the computer and turning off the monitor makes work go away for the evening.

2. Praise the Sun

Walk outside: The park Pac Man multiplayer game continues.

3. Attribute Increase

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: Lifted to makeup for the nap last night. Anchored one of my resistance tubes to the banister for face pulls which felt really good. I like these! Thank you @h3r0 for giving me the idea and sharing the video!

Family: Sent a quick note to one of the siblings, to check in on how the sibling-children are handling the situation

Socialize with these forums: Still miraculously almost keeping up

Nerdfitness D&D: Yes, checked in and posted

Old friends: Yes. Talked politics again for the first time in a while.

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Talked politics again for the first time in a while.

Hopefully it didn't turn into a shouting contest as I've seen with other people having a political conversation :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

It sounds more encouraging than silly from where I am. Your post made me realize that as little as a year ago, I would barely have been able to handle this at all, and things would have gone to a very bad place with lots of anxiety fire burning my mental health alive. And this realization made me feel really good. I've leveled up since then. I can handle this.

This is wonderful!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Thank you. :) 

Ahh that’s great! I’m glad I went with it then :) 

and thank you too- I just realised that Jaap really needs these kind of routines too. 
I’m glad the evening routine seems to be working so far! Our brains really get rituals don’t they.

• Like 1

I'm glad you like them. They are a great corrective exercise if you have any posture issues. It really helped me with my slouching. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Hopefully it didn't turn into a shouting contest as I've seen with other people having a political conversation :P

Nah. One of the reasons we're all friends, is that we share certain fundamental values and ideals, so on all the big controversial issues, we're generally in agreement on the core of the matter. We disagree on specifics, but since we want to remain friends, we make sure to do it without any hints of "you disagree with me, and that makes you a morally corrupt idiot" attitude towards each other. Respectful and well-thought out disagreements make for really good discussions.  :) 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ahh that’s great! I’m glad I went with it then :) 

and thank you too- I just realised that Jaap really needs these kind of routines too. 
I’m glad the evening routine seems to be working so far! Our brains really get rituals don’t they.

I'm glad you did too! :)

It worries me a little how quickly I forgot that I live in the body that is ruled by hormones and brain patterns, and how easy it was to disrupt the equilibrium I was relying on to keep my mental health balanced. I think I will need to revisit that particular lesson when the pandemic is over and see if I can find ways to make the equilibrium more stable.

And I hope this means Jaap is about to start to feeling better soon as well! Anxiety can be vicous.

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I'm glad you like them. They are a great corrective exercise if you have any posture issues. It really helped me with my slouching. 

I don't really have posture issues anymore, but I I do need to work more with targeting the smaller muscles in my shoulders and upper back, if nothing else to work out the stress-tension I carry there. The face pulls seems to really help with that, so I have replaced the band rows in my workouts with face pulls for now. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

as little as a year ago, I would barely have been able to handle this at all, and things would have gone to a very bad place with lots of anxiety fire burning my mental health alive. And this realization made me feel really good. I've leveled up since then. I can handle this.

This is so excellent. You now have innately higher armour class. It cannot be taken from you. 

• That's Metal 2

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

Nah. One of the reasons we're all friends, is that we share certain fundamental values and ideals, so on all the big controversial issues, we're generally in agreement on the core of the matter. We disagree on specifics, but since we want to remain friends, we make sure to do it without any hints of "you disagree with me, and that makes you a morally corrupt idiot" attitude towards each other. Respectful and well-thought out disagreements make for really good discussions.  :) 

It's always nice when people realize intelligence is not directly correlated to the degree another shares an individual's views.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

And this realization made me feel really good. I've leveled up since then. I can handle this.

Hi! First time I found your challenge thread and following :) Hope it's okay I am jumping in at the end of halftime haha

On 4/3/2020 at 7:57 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Day 1 in quarantine

Extrovert: "Oh no, I will go crazy without people. I have to figure out how to stay in touch with all my friends and start doing it RIGHT NOW!"

Introvert: "Finally I can be all by myself all the time and not have to go anywhere! This is going to be awesome!

Day 12 in quarantine

Extrovert: "I'm so glad my friends and I scheduled these regular happy hours and game nights so we can still see each other on video chat!"

Introvert: ARGH HELP I NEED PEOPLE WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME I AM SO ALONE

I feel called out. :D