Scalyfreak vs Stir Crazy: Tales from the Bunker

Scaly Freak

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's always nice when people realize intelligence is not directly correlated to the degree another shares an individual's views.

I am also quite certain that that treating my friends the as if they are a bunch of idiots would make them Former Friends in a very short amount of time ūüėõ¬†

22 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Hi! First time I found your challenge thread and following :) Hope it's okay I am jumping in at the end of halftime haha

Solid contributions from the bench are always welcome. :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14; Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission III; Ch 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Morning routine:  I remembered the phone charger! I'm so proud of mysefl! :) 

End-of-Day routine:  Everything up until leaving work went well. I added the step of checking if my plants need water before I reboot.

However, after work everything was disrupted because this week's order of groceries was delivered, and it was a mess. Half the things we wanted were apparently out of stock. Of the items that were out of stock, half of them were refunded, and the other half was replaced by things that were sort of similar but horrible. Instead of the spiral-cut bone-in ham I ordered, there was a pack of sliced deli ham. Instead of the flanken-cut short ribs I ordered, I received sirloin steaks. The eggs were not substituted at all. (I refuse to believe there were not eggs of any kind in the store.) This ruined all the  happy zen that had been created by the end-of-day routine, because, well... they messed with my food!

2. Praise the Sun

Walked outside on my lunch break. And glared and growled and at one point verbally confronted irresponsible idiots who think that just because there are fewer people in the park right now, they can let their dogs off leash. No. If your dog is going to be off leash in a public place where the law says not to do that, your dog needs to have robot like discipline and reflexive obedience. If it ignores you when it sees a new dog friend it wants to play with, the leash needs to stay on. 

3. Attribute Increase

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: The Tuesday evening nap threw off the schedule, so I lifted last night and will lift again tomorrow evening.

4. It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this Jolly Cooperation.

Family: Will send a goodnight note later tonight.

Socialize with these forums: I made this

Nerdfitness D&D: Checked in and posted

Old friends: Continued talking politics.

• Like 9
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14; Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission III; Ch 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

20 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I've leveled up since then. I can handle this.

Now you've learned "Fireball" !

• That's Metal 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

37 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

However, after work everything was disrupted because this week's order of groceries was delivered, and it was a mess. Half the things we wanted were apparently out of stock. Of the items that were out of stock, half of them were refunded, and the other half was replaced by things that were sort of similar but horrible. Instead of the spiral-cut bone-in ham I ordered, there was a pack of sliced deli ham. Instead of the flanken-cut short ribs I ordered, I received sirloin steaks. The eggs were not substituted at all. (I refuse to believe there were not eggs of any kind in the store.) This ruined all the  happy zen that had been created by the end-of-day routine, because, well... they messed with my food!

I can sympathise.Food can be an emotional area. I also ordered a lot of stuff from the store, and I don't much like it because I just have a lot less control over the process than when I do it myself. Also... they spent about five hours shopping (I assume they were batch shopping for several people at once, and then took a long lunch break?) and the cold items were no longer cold and $40 of stuff was ruined. Also, I feel totally stressed about ordering such big amounts at one time because I'm not good at meal planning (I get flustered... my mind goes blank) so I tend to do it for two days at a time, not two weeks. I felt totally stressed and unhappy about the delivery today, even though there was nothing seriously wrong. I fixed my emotions with KB snatches. 

I'm glad your routines are still working well and that there's some lifting in your week :) 

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, Harriet said:

I can sympathise.Food can be an emotional area. I also ordered a lot of stuff from the store, and I don't much like it because I just have a lot less control over the process than when I do it myself. Also... they spent about five hours shopping (I assume they were batch shopping for several people at once, and then took a long lunch break?) and the cold items were no longer cold and $40 of stuff was ruined. Also, I feel totally stressed about ordering such big amounts at one time because I'm not good at meal planning (I get flustered... my mind goes blank) so I tend to do it for two days at a time, not two weeks. I felt totally stressed and unhappy about the delivery today, even though there was nothing seriously wrong. I fixed my emotions with KB snatches. 

On the one hand I'm sorry the food order was ruined for you. On the other, I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one stressing over having someone else do my food shopping for me. I fixed most of my emotions by hanging out in the Nerdfitness D&D chat, and the rest of them are healed by the soothing face mask I will go rinse off in about five minutes. :)

The most annoying part is that I will need to go out to a grocery store in person in the near future despite the big order I placed, because of the things that are missing. Grrrr.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

15 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

It worries me a little how quickly I forgot that I live in the body that is ruled by hormones and brain patterns, and how easy it was to disrupt the equilibrium I was relying on to keep my mental health balanced. I

I forget/ignore this all the time when things get wonky. But it's really not that surprising considering we're basically caged animals, barely moving in our little boxes. Even in normal circumstances all we do is moving from one box to a different box. Our environment makes it extremely easy to forget this very important thing. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Instead of the spiral-cut bone-in ham I ordered, there was a pack of sliced deli ham. Instead of the flanken-cut short ribs I ordered, I received sirloin steaks. The eggs were not substituted at all.

This seems really weird to me.  Is this just some random guy checking your order and then purchasing it and delivering for you or is it managed by the stores themselves?  That would drive me absolutely bonkers

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I fixed most of my emotions by hanging out in the Nerdfitness D&D chat

I cannot stress how great that is as an outlet.  Even when I am not on there chatting I am planning and plotting ad imagine all the fun interaction that will be coming

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 

Other Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Instead of the spiral-cut bone-in ham I ordered, there was a pack of sliced deli ham. Instead of the flanken-cut short ribs I ordered, I received sirloin steaks.

Someone's cooking ingredients is a terrible thing to mess with, cooking helps mental balance. Hope you'll get what you want next time.

Keep taking care, you've got this.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This seems really weird to me.  Is this just some random guy checking your order and then purchasing it and delivering for you or is it managed by the stores themselves?  That would drive me absolutely bonkers

Store employees assemble the order and deliver it. However,as much essential workers in the US right now,they are over-worked and stressed, and persistent anecdotes imply that they are treated like complete shit by stressed customers, which doesn't help, so I can understand having a bad day and not being at your best. Still. It's my food. Like @Jean said, cooking is a big part of keeping mental balance for me, so when my ingredients are not what they should be, the ripple effect feeds The Flame  to new heights.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This ruined all the  happy zen that had been created by the end-of-day routine, because, well... they messed with my food!

This would ruin ANYONE'S happy zen. I'm sorry.

• Like 2

ūüé™current challengeūüé™

challenge archive: 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

That sucks that they screwed up your grocery order. I would be upset about that too.

@Urgan was using a grocery delivery service months ago, before the current crisis. It was working out well for her. I suspect that stores with an established delivery process are doing a lot better than ones that just started now.

• Like 1

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Grocery delivery services are not operating normally now. They're all in crisis mode, in my experience. I've been doing delivery for six or seven months, and for the past month, there have been truly abnormal and extreme shortages and delays and substitutions. (For a few weeks, I gave up on meat, and bought all the cheese I could get my hands on. Eggs are hard most weeks. One week, the only animal protein any kind I could find was bacon, so my freezer is now full of emergency bacon. I can't get bleach, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, Lysol, anything, though it looks like it's slowly becoming slightly more available.)

It definitely sucks. But I wouldn't be too hard on them. In my experiences with my own delivery people, they're going into overcrowded stores with the shelves randomly picked clean, and sometimes going to multiple stores to fill people's orders of staple items. All of them have had to do some crazy creative problem solving to find alternatives in every order for the past month, and they're just trying to keep people fed amidst shortages right now. One of them made some weird substitutions without consulting me much, but it was well intentioned.

So this isn't normal. It will settle down. Sorry about your food. :(

• Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7, #8, #9, #10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

I suspect that stores with an established delivery process are doing a lot better than ones that just started now.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Grocery delivery services are not operating normally now. They're all in crisis mode, in my experience. I've been doing delivery for six or seven months, and for the past month, there have been truly abnormal and extreme shortages and delays and substitutions.

This store has been doing delivery for over a year and I've been using their pick-up service for months without issues. That's why it was so upsetting, I am used to them doing so much better.

But I realize this isn't normal, and that circumstances are conspiring to make grocery stores being one of the worst places in the country to work right now. I'm not upset at the person who assembled my order and I'm certainly not going to complain to anyone. I have worked in the customer service industry for over 20 years, so I have some small idea of what our nations "essential workers" in customer-facing professions are going through,, and how much stress they have to deal with. They deserve credit and thanks for hanging in there and working hard under inhumanly difficult circumstances.

This does not in any way change the fact that I was very sad and unhappy to be without extra eggs and an Easter ham  for this weekend.  Thankfully for my mood, Husband was able to salvage some of the weekend by finding us a ham. It took some phone calls, but a local butcher shop had bone-in ham in stock and offered to carry it out to anyone calling the store from their parking lot. So now I have a bone-in ham, and the five eggs in my fridge will have to be enough for us. :) 

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten the holiday. Yeah, it definitely sucks to be going into a major holiday without the basics of that major holiday. It makes it all seem way more out of control than just a normal week where you can't get stuff. I'm usually pretty non-observant of Easter when I'm on my own, but this year I decided I was going to do a token Easter basket, just to, I dunno, show that I could, or something. I've got a couple of Lindt bunnies and eggs on the counter. They've been giving me a nice little prepared feeling every time I walk by then for two weeks, even though, really, I don't need chocolate to prepare for anything.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7, #8, #9, #10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm not an observer of Easter in a religious sense. However, traditionally Husband and I meet with his family on Easter Sunday for a big family event, and this year we are for obvious reasons not doing that. Suddenly, making it a big deal for us seemed more important.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I'm ordained and I damn near forgot about Easter this year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

45 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm ordained and I damn near forgot about Easter this year.

I feel that, for a moment there, I forgot what Good Friday entailed (I'm a practicing Catholic)¬†ūü§¶ūüŹĹ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

• Like 3

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

14 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I'm not an observer of Easter in a religious sense. However, traditionally Husband and I meet with his family on Easter Sunday for a big family event, and this year we are for obvious reasons not doing that. Suddenly, making it a big deal for us seemed more important.

I've lost the rituals we used to do as a family because I'm not a child any more, and Mr Harriet is a completely unsentimental atheist who doesn't care about traditional holidays (except insofar as they entail sweets). I wish there were some non-religious rituals (maybe pagan or animist) that I could borrow from to mark the times of year. I think it's nice to have some special occasions. Maybe I'll just meditate on the concepts of spring and renewal, and then eat some chocolate. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I've lost the rituals we used to do as a family because I'm not a child any more, and Mr Harriet is a completely unsentimental atheist who doesn't care about traditional holidays (except insofar as they entail sweets). I wish there were some non-religious rituals (maybe pagan or animist) that I could borrow from to mark the times of year. I think it's nice to have some special occasions. Maybe I'll just meditate on the concepts of spring and renewal, and then eat some chocolate. 

Or you can make your own, call it family traditions rather than holidays. That should encourage Mr. Harriet to participate (or you can bribe him with sweets)

• Like 2

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Red1263 said:

Or you can make your own, call it family traditions rather than holidays. That should encourage Mr. Harriet to participate (or you can bribe him with sweets)

This is what Husband and I have done. We both come from a religious background we have lapsed away from, so we both felt a need for some kind of ritual to mark the holiday, but had no interest in participating in the religious ones. So we have created our own little rituals, especially for the Christmas holiday, that are not very elaborate och fancy, but they are ours and we like them. It is very nice to have a way to mark special occasions, and as an extra bonus, doing it in a way that is only ours, makes it more special and I think it probably is good relationship management as well.

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I think most major holidays can be syncretized pretty easily with corresponding pagan holidays and astronomical events. I mean, there are a lot of midwinter holidays mostly because it's really effing dark and you need a cheery, cozy holiday, and a lot of early spring holidays because it's exciting to see the first stirrings of cute new plants and cute baby animals (especially when you rely on them to eat), and a lot of late autumn holidays because it's getting freaking cold and it's kind of important to have to shut down the agriculture you rely on and put your basic economy into hibernation mode, whether that's a fearful thing or a thankful thing.

And, sure, we're not as agricultural as we were, but our brains still follow a lot of this cycle in terms of activity and what mode we're in. A ton of the secular observation of these holidays already is, well, secular; borrowing a ton from preexisting imagery and practice, be it pagan or animist or just catchy zeitgeist. I mean, there was no Easter Bunny present at the crucifixion or resurrection of Christ, unless I read a very nonstandard version of the story. Easter eggs and fluffy chicks, also not part of the last supper. The word "Easter" isn't Christian, it's an early spring month named for a Germanic deity that was inherited through folk practice. They're all non-religious images and rituals we inherited around the "time for new life to arise" theme. And similar with stockings, Christmas trees, elves, holly and ivy, reindeer... Jack-o'-lanterns, strangely, are a little more directly traceable to a sort of folk practice, but basically a secular and somewhat animist folk practice.

(No kidding, the other half of my "Easter" celebration was slightly ironically ordering a copy of The Wicker Man (original, not remake) because that also strongly featured a lot of bunnies and ducks, and major themes of springtime death and rebirth. I don't think it will arrive in time, so I'm going to save some chocolate rabbits and eggs for it. It's a classic British horror film about an island of promiscuous murder-pagans, but fits Easter symbolism exactly.)

TL;DR I think most holidays are basically secular and folk observation of seasonality, and the religious elements form around that rather than the other way around; we still have a ton of the non-religious, animist practice we've inherited. Get yourself some chocolate rabbits, a box of Peeps, and a nice bouquet of flowers, and then make a fancy "flowers and shit are finally blooming again" dinner. All perfectly traditional. Bam, that's Easter sorted.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

This is what Husband and I have done. We both come from a religious background we have lapsed away from, so we both felt a need for some kind of ritual to mark the holiday, but had no interest in participating in the religious ones. So we have created our own little rituals, especially for the Christmas holiday, that are not very elaborate och fancy, but they are ours and we like them. It is very nice to have a way to mark special occasions, and as an extra bonus, doing it in a way that is only ours, makes it more special and I think it probably is good relationship management as well.

Sounds like you have it figured out :) 

44 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

TL;DR I think most holidays are basically secular and folk observation of seasonality, and the religious elements form around that rather than the other way around; we still have a ton of the non-religious, animist practice we've inherited. Get yourself some chocolate rabbits, a box of Peeps, and a nice bouquet of flowers, and then make a fancy "flowers and shit are finally blooming again" dinner. All perfectly traditional. Bam, that's Easter sorted.

Interesting and yes, I had heard that many Christian rituals like decorating trees are.... sort of layered on top of older, non-Christian rituals, to put it one way. It's a pity the old ways are lost. I don't know how to practice them. What are peeps? The flowers are a nice idea. I would also like some kind of short prayer or ritual to show appreciation for nature. Probably need to skip live sacrifices for legal reasons though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Interesting and yes, I had heard that many Christian rituals like decorating trees are.... sort of layered on top of older, non-Christian rituals, to put it one way. It's a pity the old ways are lost. I don't know how to practice them. What are peeps? The flowers are a nice idea. I would also like some kind of short prayer or ritual to show appreciation for nature.

Peeps are marshmallows roughly in the shape of baby chicks and covered in yellow sugar. They're a common traditional Easter candy in the US.

For rituals to show appreciation for nature, I think it's hard to beat the Easter egg hunt. I think we climbed over every tree, flower, and plant in the yard to find those things when we were kids.

30 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Probably need to skip live sacrifices for legal reasons though.

Are you certain? Because I've never felt more ready to join an island of promiscuous murder-pagans.

• Haha 2