• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scaly Freak

Scalyfreak vs Stir Crazy: Tales from the Bunker

25 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Persona 3 was brilliant and had some of the best NPCs of all time, in any genre. Did you play 4 Golden? They added so much new stuff it was almost a different game, but better. That's why I waited on 5, which, so far, is amazing. Highly recommend.

No, I have Persona 3 Fes and regular Persona 4

36 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

That's why I waited on 5, which, so far, is amazing

Played the original Persona 5 when it came out. It was my first jaunt into the Persona-verse. I was blown away with everything. The art style was fantastic and I loved the use of anime style for some of the cutscenes. Speaking of which I still need to beat the game. I've put it off because I've been grinding levels and then got sidetracked with other games. Need to finish it before picking up Royal.

Challenge goals update:

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Morning routine:  This one has become firmly entrenched habit. This pleases me, even though I am still not good at remembering the phone charger.

End-of-Day routine: This one has become a bit varied, since it's heavily influenced by my workday. However, it always involves coloring pictures, and doing some German in Duolingo.

2. Praise the Sun

Going outside into the sunlight every day continues. Happy Sidekick reminds me.

3. Attribute Increase

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: Today is Wednesday. I lifted yesterday evening.

4. It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this Jolly Cooperation.

Family: One family member showed symptoms of The Virus, but tested negative. Huge relief for everyone.

Socialize with these forums: I finally remembered I should update my own thread once in a while. 

Nerdfitness D&D: Word nerdery! :) 

Old friends: And poker night talks

• Like 9

Excellent, excellent. Sounds like you have a few good things going. Sunlight, lifting, and coloring sound very nice.

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Word nerdery!

I am actually a little bit surprised that our party kind of hit the jackpot in the word nerds department.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent, excellent. Sounds like you have a few good things going. Sunlight, lifting, and coloring sound very nice.

They are. I am planning to try and keep these habits as closely as possible when the quarantine ends.

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am actually a little bit surprised that our party kind of hit the jackpot in the word nerds department.  

I expected us to have several people who comfortably speak more than one language, just from what I've seen in people's threads. The extent of the collective word nerdery was a pleasant surprise though. :) 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I expected us to have several people who comfortably speak more than one language, just from what I've seen in people's threads. The extent of the collective word nerdery was a pleasant surprise though. :) 

Yup, this! I guess considering most of our characters are at minimum bilingual, this is a case of art imitating life? 😋

49 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Yup, this! I guess considering most of our characters are at minimum bilingual, this is a case of art imitating life? 😋

May I suggest that players who speak more languages than their characters get some sort of special dispensation so that a character must speak at least as many languages as the player?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

May I suggest that players who speak more languages than their characters get some sort of special dispensation so that a character must speak at least as many languages as the player?

My character being able to manage 2 is already a stretch 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2020 at 5:19 PM, Scalyfreak said:

The extent of the collective word nerdery was a pleasant surprise though. :) 

I'm not surprised at all. Many of you have a great way with words and are very creative on top of that. To be perfectly honest, I got a little intimated by the thought when I considered whether to join one of these or games or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm not surprised at all. Many of you have a great way with words and are very creative on top of that. To be perfectly honest, I got a little intimated by the thought when I considered whether to join one of these or games or not. 

This particular word nerdery was an OOC conversation about the differences between languages and dialects, and how different cultures handle them differently.

My personal word-nerdery is all about what the words mean and do and what that says about the culture who developed the language the words belong to. Like the fact that modern English uses "grandparents" for the grandparents from maternal and paternal sides of a family, while modern English-speakers invent words that their family uses to differentiate between them, and how this common practice is essentially stopping the formal side of the language to evolve into using different words for the two concepts. There is a real need to be able to be specific about which grandmother you mean when you discuss buying a Christmas gift for her, and so the spoken language has evolved to the point almost everyone does this, and since this is common practice, there is no need for the official words for grandparents to change. The need has been filled through other means.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Ah that kind of word nerdery. Interesting stuff.

(Though in this case I disagree, it's always awfully clunky to differentiate between the two in English and it'd be much better if the formal language was a little more supportive.)

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This particular word nerdery was an OOC conversation about the differences between languages and dialects, and how different cultures handle them differently.

My personal word-nerdery is all about what the words mean and do and what that says about the culture who developed the language the words belong to. Like the fact that modern English uses "grandparents" for the grandparents from maternal and paternal sides of a family, while modern English-speakers invent words that their family uses to differentiate between them, and how this common practice is essentially stopping the formal side of the language to evolve into using different words for the two concepts. There is a real need to be able to be specific about which grandmother you mean when you discuss buying a Christmas gift for her, and so the spoken language has evolved to the point almost everyone does this, and since this is common practice, there is no need for the official words for grandparents to change. The need has been filled through other means.

Then you may appreciate this video:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ah that kind of word nerdery. Interesting stuff.

(Though in this case I disagree, it's always awfully clunky to differentiate between the two in English and it'd be much better if the formal language was a little more supportive.)

It absolutely would be, which is why it has gradually made its way into the written language, at least in fiction. However, it is not formalized. Maternal grandmother is not always Nana, for example.

35 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Then you may appreciate this video:

It's hilarious largely because of the name my local nephews call their grandmother. 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Though in this case I disagree, it's always awfully clunky to differentiate between the two in English and it'd be much better if the formal language was a little more supportive.

Just don't go the opposite extreme and have a different word for every possible relationship arrangement like Chinese does (and sometime more than one because who doesn't need multiple words to say "maternal aunt of an older female cousin"?)

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Just don't go the opposite extreme and have a different word for every possible relationship arrangement like Chinese does (and sometime more than one because who doesn't need multiple words to say "maternal aunt of an older female cousin"?)

Which specific Chinese are we talking about here...? 😛 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Which specific Chinese are we talking about here...? 😛 

This is actually a good question.  For most of the relationships that have multiple words, pretty much all of them are because different places have different words for it and they all kind of get assimilated into Common Mandarin

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

In a way there's a wonderful simplicity to the way it works in Poland (in practice, not sure about linguistically) where everyone outside the most immediate family is an aunt or uncle if they're older than you or cousin if the same age or younger. It's very non-hierarchal really. The problem with that is that to this day I'm still not entirely sure who I'm even related to let alone how. 😄

• Haha 3

Challenge goals update:

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Morning routine:  Still going well. Still also being modified for weekends, as I am not going to work on Saturdays and Sundays, 

End-of-Day routine: Same with this one... the purpose of this routine is to help my brain leave work behind. On days when there was no work, this routine isn't being done, aside from Duolingo in the evening. Which is perfectly fine.

2. Praise the Sun

The other day heavy rain and strong winds made a walk not happen. We went into the car and drove around instead, and that was also very nice.

3. Attribute Increase

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: Lifting has been genuinely forgotten in the face of the tempting addictive wonderfulness that is Persona 5 Royal. I am keeping a close eye on my mental state, to see if lifting needs to be reintroduced, since playing a game I enjoy is powerful healing for The Flame and it stays very calm as long as I have palace explorations and Confidants to look forward to.

Family: Starting to become a little tired of certain extroverted family members calling far too often. What you guys feel now is a fraction of how some of us felt every single time you forced us to socialize with strangers with no advance notice, because you thought we needed your help to become more social. Back then, you told us this as good for us... well, in that case I am sure being forced to be alone with your own thoughts for once is good for you and something you need to learn in order to become a better person. Suck it up and tough it out.

Socialize with these forums: I love the turn the conversation took in @Mad Hatter's thread. Thank you everyone who  posted there.

Nerdfitness D&D: The exploration continues.

Old friends: Poker night plans are taking shape.

• Like 9

On 4/25/2020 at 8:19 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Nerdfitness D&D:

Is it possible to be an observer? I'm really enjoying reading Dark-Raider's thread in the Pub. Or is that a smoothed out version of your adventures :) Am I mixing things up? (Also excited for the gaming recommendations, although my to-play list is going to get long if I keep postponing getting a Steam account. I have no consoles at the moment.  )

I just caught up on your last challenge. How are you and Husband doing, if I may ask of course? (Still catching up on this thread, too.)

The distinction between Self-Indulgence and Self-Sabotage is very useful, thanks for sharing! 

Also keeping my fingers crossed the insurance stuff gets sorted asap...

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Is it possible to be an observer? I'm really enjoying reading Dark-Raider's thread in the Pub. Or is that a smoothed out version of your adventures :) Am I mixing things up? 

That thread is a different campaign than the one I am in. If you want to observe ours you would need to be on our Discord server, I think... we're not posting anything about our campaign on these forums, that I know of anyway. Unless of course you count the comments made in this thread.

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I just caught up on your last challenge. How are you and Husband doing, if I may ask of course? (Still catching up on this thread, too.)

I think we're doing well, but I am kind of biased. He joined us in the DnD campaign and is enjoying the opportunity to channel his inner juvenile delinquent in a safe environment :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

If you want to observe ours you would need to be on our Discord server,

I made a Discord at the beginning of the lockdown :) Though I do understand if you guys just want to keep it between yourselves, since I won't be exerting any effort to entertain you in return ;D 

Sounds like he is having loads of fun, yeah hahaha. Glad to hear a positive evolution, albeit biased :)

52 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

He joined us in the DnD campaign and is enjoying the opportunity to channel his inner juvenile delinquent in a safe environment :D 

Love this! :D 

• Like 1

1. Rest at the Bonfire

Morning routine:  Overslept. Ooops. I skipped almost all the makeup but remembered the phone charger.

End-of-Day routine: Left the phone charger upstairs since tomorrow is a rare day of no scheduled meetings, and I can actually get real work done. That means the phone will run the pomodoro timer app and needs the be plugged in.

2. Praise the Sun

Meetings all day lone means not lunch break walk.Atoned by taking Happy Sidekick to the neighborhood park after work instead.

3. Attribute Increase

Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday: Today is Monday. 

Family: Short and brief notes to the favorite family members.

Socialize with these forums: The mental image of Garak in drag will sustain me through these troubled times. Thank you @Tanktimus the Encourager!

Nerdfitness D&D: We have encountered a friendly ninja turtle that's not a ninja. Expecting a talking rat to show up any moment now.

Old friends: My friends are weird and that is what makes them great. :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2