Setting Up a Framework

Athena

Review

Last night - I did get off of the couch and freshen up so I am proud of myself for that but when I removed all the distractions and started summarising that one court decision... I got sleepy hahaha

Adaptation

Today I rearranged my Gcal to fit my new plan of action/sleep schedule and going to drink more water. Have to pace myself differently. Going to have fun experimenting with this, I think. It is different than when I was pushing myself to get up early and had to rearrange meals etc. 3 hours earlier than usual. It is a new experience for sure.

My plan is to work for an hour now and then get my workout in.

Then... Cook dinner/family time and do some things around the house until it is my scheduled work time.

I also have to keep drinking water, and snack on nuts/veggies/fruit to avoid the sluggishness. And remember to breathe. I am breathing too shallow again.

Then it will be time for the evening work time. Let's do this!

EDIT: Working out happened around 11PM so much later. But that's OK. 

I did one set of the Beginner's Kettle Bell workout. It was so fun! Only one set, because it took me quite a while to get the hang of the movements... I even followed @KBgirl's snatch tutorial, even though the workout didn't include any snatches. Following the demo was a miniworkout (at least for one side) on its own :D

I think.... I will be liberal with myself and "check off" my to-do of figuring out a second "at home" workout. I think doing this workout will give me plenty of variation from my "Work it" workout. I was looking for more standing exercises because most of the exercises in 'Work It' are on the mat/plank position etc. Yayyy. 

Still had snacks but less than yesterday & I kept on drinking water and a veggie with each snack. I also remembered to breathe. Along with the Freedom app that helped me get into flow much better.

Moreover, seeing my G-cal reflect the schedule I am in right now really helped with shifting/pacing myself. I like to put in my breakfast/lunch/dinner breaks and things like getting ready in the morning. Have to keep this in mind if I decide to change my sleeping schedule again :') Change the calendar right away!

Experiment

I am going to try out Freedom today. There is a 50% off on the Forever deal. If it works, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in it.

Idk if I bought something else under this premise haha but I have been saving a loooot because of the lack of random coffee and food purchases when I am out and about.

EDIT: I have Freedom premium now :)

It works quite well, for my purposes.

I will probably also keep using an app on my phone that lets me set a limit on the usage of apps per hour (e.g. 10 mins every hour) 

And when I start the timer on my laptop/one device, I have to remember to click on the Freedom app on my phone/the other devices. And then click on it again when the sesh ends. Otherwise it doesn't register the start & ends of the sessions on the primary device (i.e. the one where you had the Dashboard open).

But overall I think it will be a great tool to "parent myself" :) I haven't found anything similar to it in the past years. Okay I need to stop thinking about the expense now and enjoy my quality of life improvement haha 

I had a similar feeling when I got myself proper wireless earphones. And I haven't regretted that purchase either.

Granted I spent more time considering it but that's because I have traumas from hardware not liking me :D

Spoiler

Btw/hobbies

My baby sis and I are playing mobile games together a lot these days. I got her hooked on Slither.io, she got me hooked on these two very elaborate free dog and cat caring games. They are so cute and I find out something new every day :DIt is like she knew I was feeling nostalgia for my Neopets days. Except Bubbu and Duddu are happy to see me every time I open the app :D You earn coins when playing games but they cannot play when they are too tired. You could buy a sleeping potion but I prefer to have their sleep limit my phone fidgetting time :')

The fact that they're free makes me wonder. But I am having fun so we will think about the privacy implications later 😅

Moreover, I have rediscovered Spellfall on my tablet. You fight monsters by making combinations of 3+ in whichever way you want to. You earn coins and you equip defense or attack armor/staffs/runes. In short, all games that I don't have to put too much thought in but entertain me with a gaming element lol.

I might have to check out the coloring apps that Darkfoxx and Scaley were talking about...

Though I really should play with my new liquid watercolor paints. I had been looking for them since the beginning of the quarantine and only a few says ago they were back in stock ;D

• Like 4

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: A Woman Who Conquers Herself is Greater | 
Battle log

Sounds like you've either got or are getting very close to a good work/ play balance! I am with you on letting natural breaks in games set limits on how long you play, I do that, too. Otherwise, I end up just playing for hours and not realizing the time. :)

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Hmmm, apparently it's called "underbelled" when you have too light of a kettlebell :D @Sloth the Enduring What does tyro mean? :)

After doing the KB set, I can imagine 'muscling up' when a KB is too light. (I have 5 kg KBs and I think that's alright for now... For things like rows I can put them in a bag and lift the bag when I want to increase the weight but I don't think the will be a useful tactic for swings etc.) 

The movements are almost tae chi like in the sense you constantly have to keep changing your balance, how much you tighten or loosen your muscles haha. 

In thesis news,

I got some more insights for my topic from a bachelor thesis written by a student in another field. That was fun.

(I always love it when lawyers use terms from economics/sociology like "free-rider behavior" and then only go into the legal side of things. I hope I'll do my angle justice.)

Also, I summarised a nice, well written court decision that had clear headings. It even had a hashtag "#clearlanguage" lol

(The rest of my "work time" I spent looking at workouts and some articles and related NF stuffs but ended up going for the KB workout as my homeworkout variation... none of the healthy eating advice seems doable right now besides what I'd already been doing when I saw results. Oh well. Time well spent, still.)

That was fun, and useful. Now it's time to wind down :) 

tomorrow I really need to get some metaphorical pen on paper (first sentences of my rough draft for the intro chapter and/or second chapter still haven't been written).

this is basically going to be a NaNoWriMo type of racd for my thesis ... I prepped the story best as I could and now it's time to TYPE lol. 

• Like 4

Battle log

I think of some of the moves as weighted yoga.

A tyro is an old fashioned word for newbie. I haven’t been doing Snatches long enough to give trustworthy advice. But you see a lot of new Kettlebellers doing swings almost like front raises until they get to an appropriate weight. And when I moved up to a 20kg Snatch my form automatically improved I think in order to protect myself from my poor form.

• Thanks 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

15:30 Did very little in the past hour since I sat down to "be productive for 1-2 hours".

You know what I want right now? I want eeeeverything to just be *done* for me, WHILE I still get the knowledge, the XP, and the sense of satisfaction of doing the things I said I would do.

Unfortunately that is impossible until they figure out, among other things, a way for knowledge to just be siphoned into your brain.

So although I don't feel like it, I'm still going to:

*Do a 5-minute mobility drill

Spoiler

The one recommended in an NF article:

*Sweep my room, get my HQ set up because I just dumped my stuff on my desk last night after spending some time working in the living room. ✔️

*Check in with partner. (I usually don't mention this in my lists but we do this regularly) ✔️

*Do what I'd said I'd do last "50 min Pomodoro" 🔜

*Time with fam ✔️

*dinner, N2R ✔️

*make a plan for the evening work hours ✔️

*execute ⏯️

*while pacing myself again the whole time with enough H2o etc. ♾️

20:50

N2R no. 3.1 + cool-down stretch. It was nice to do it in the cool air with the smell of rain. (It has been raining for 3 days about.)

23:30

Still haven't done the thing I said I'd do, but I have done other thesis related things. 

Spoiler

• (It's reading an article with a high information density, and with things I have to look up/refresh every paragraph at least.)
  • Makes me think of my first bachelor thesis, when I postponed reading a certain article soooo long and after I read it things really hit off with my writing process.
  • I had a similar - though armed with experience - "article(s) I postponed a lot" that I needed to read to make progress with my second bachelor thesis.
  • Not sure if I've had it with other writing projects. 
  • It's almost like I am telling myself "I'm going to do all these other little things, and save the best for last." That doesn't make sense with academic writings... There's no such things as spoiler warnings for academic stuff either :D 
    • Mostly it's probably the fact that it's very annoying to have to look at 3-4 different articles, go off on a totally different direction and then go back to the first article that I am making slow progress with. 
      • Well. Of course I'm actually making 'normal' progress given the info I'm progressing but it FEELS slow.

BTW, I emailed a study association from a different part of the country, and a different field of study about an article that wasn't in the archives on their website - and isn't accessible anywhere else - and they emailed me back this morning.

They said they didn't have a digital copy but were doing their best to get a hang of the hard copy. (Which is of course difficult with faculty buildings closed everywhere/limited access.) That made me smile. Love it when people are proactive like that! Not sure if I should email them back or wait until they have more definite news.

PS - I am having a lot of fun with spoilers these days :')

02:50

Oops, stayed in front of the laptop until later than planned. [EDIT: HOWEVER, I did manage to get myself to relax, get comfy and fall asleep in record time. Without continuing with screen time on my phone, or so.] Wrote just one sentence for my thesis and a couple of bullet points (In the chapter I supposedly WASN'T working on yet, why do you always do that, brain!) (The plan is to write about 500 words every day. That would lead being in a comfortable place above the official word requirement.) Dunno if I will be able to "make up for it" tomorrow, we'll see.

Still haven't done "the thing", but I think I finally arrived at a moment in my research/fleshing out where I will "get to that". EDIT: I also reached my sample size goal of at least 25 cases! 🧩 Alright day, overall.

• Like 3

Battle log

12:10

I liked this format yesterday so I will try again :)

I am having a lot of fun with food, snacks and drinks these days.

Spoiler

*Oatmeal mug cake

*Chocolate banana mug cake

*Brewing tea with my loose leaf teas (a pastry flavored one, a green tea, and I have a Bailey's flavored tea from Sostrone Grene that I want to finish)

*Tofu with peanut sauce and salad

*This morning I stirred an egg with different spices, soaked chia seeds & linseed. (I bought a spice mix a while ago that is specifically for eggs lol) Ate it with a slice of bread, minipaprikas and romaine sla.

*Also made "chia pudding" with milk, agave sirup and cinnamon. Got some frozen blueberries out of the freezer to thaw. Still have to try it.

There's a lot more I still want try, but it is a good start.

Last night I really wanted to snack during my evening study, and I did but I had

Minipaprikas with hummus, thin slices of cheese with tomato, romaine sla and feta. And a teaspoon of nut butter. I wanted more but drank water. And then I was alright again. 

My meditation/quote app is being uppity :D : "What you think others think of you, is actually what you yourself think!"

16:10 

Spent some time with fam, had fries and chicken nuggets and veggies. Sweet kiwi for "dessert".

Reviewed my NF challenge. Still unsure about how to proceed. But I'll leave that for Tomorrow/Next Week Me to figure out.

Time to set some research and writing goals for the day and get busy!

23:30

DnD was fuuunnn! Finally finished a fight! I really need to get reacquiented with my char AND general DnD rules because the last time I did was a while ago and nothing sticks, unfortunately. And my notes aren't the best when I don't use them for a long while.

(We have approx. 2-3 hour sessions.)

I did the 5 minute mobility video again. It stretches really nicely. Very satisfying cracks :D Now it is time tooo get a bit of work done.

00:20

Holy smokes! I just cracked out 169 words just out of what was brewing in my head. This is very motivating. I knew I shouldn't skip today as just a weekend-restday, I felt quite energetic and looking forward to tonight after yesterday's research session& this morning. (I ignored the part of my brain that was doubting my progress speed.)

When I saw the number, I wondered whether I should count the unredacted words fully to my 500 word-a-day goal, but I think I will.

In principle, if my redaction isn't AIMED at reducing word count, I usually end up with LONGER paragraphs lol. Yeah, I'm that annoying person that always is just around or above the word limit with assignments. So I'm not worried about "having an incorrect representation of my word count progress".

Just have to make sure I ALSO do my editing 500 words a day every day, too.

AND when I finish reviewing that article that I keep postponing, I have to MAKE myself not get too sidetracked with future chapters. I really need to crank out & edit those first two so I can get proper & timely feedback from my supervisor.

2:30

Had 466 at the end of my work session (2:00) but I continued to make it 500 :) (Actually 557 but I wrote couple of cheeky sentences in the end (because I am pumped and it's late) that weren't very substantive. Since I went over 500 I don't have to motivate myself by counting those haha. WOO!

PS - I need to research what my options are for the September subject tomorrow again, and write an email to the Exam Commission if I want to do something else than my two "ready-to-eat" options... The course registration period starts on 1 June and doesn't last long I think. And I AM SURE they are even more busier than usual lol

• Like 4

Battle log

So, about next challenge... I have this HUUUGE LIST and Idk what I want to work on.

Most likely scenario is that I will simply review & retry this challenge's goals, now that I have no test weeks to mess with my rhytm.

I have a whole Zero Week to tweak them though. So we'll see.

Review time

I sort of "journaled" about my goals in an excel table, since I didn't track well:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.67438c5319c4577f6a3bcadace0b28b2.png

This is what I DID track in the table of my little notebook & in the workout calendar:

Spoiler

Moving goal:

Week 0 = 1/2

Week 1 = 1/2

Week 2 = 1/2 (Zumba)

Week 3 = 0/2

Week 4 = 1/2

Week 5 = 2/2

OH, interesting, I really thought I'd worked out twice a week more than once haha. How odd! I guess I often had pretty intense workouts with my personal trainer 'Sister' :D ... And struggling with getting my studying done.

Cardio

Week 0 = 3/3
Week 1 = 2/3
Week 2 = 0/3

Week 3 = 0/3

Week 4 = 0/3

Week 5 = 2/3

No candy

Week 0 = 1/7
Week 1 = 0/0
Week 2 = 0/0

Remind me not to set a no candy goal around Easter time? I think our cookie batches are always bigger than we can handle finishing within a week.

Pushups

Week 0 = 5/7
Week 1 = 4/7
Week 2 = 1/7

Week 3 = 0/7

Week 4 = 2/7

Week 5 = 0/7

Okay, reality check. Apparently I never actually did the pushups every day. I did do Flexibility training OR pushups every day the first two weeks.

Flexibility training

Week 0 = 6/7
Week 1 = 3/7
Week 2 = 1/7

Week 3 = 0/7

Week 4 = 1/7

Week 5 = 0/7

Reading

Week 0 = 4/7
Week 1 = 2/7
Week 2 = 2/7

Flow

Week 0 = 7/7
Week 1 = 4/7
Week 2 = 2/7

H2O (at least 1 liter a day)

16 out of the 19 days I tracked

Whew, my numbers are pretty sad. However, I was thinking about workouts/flexibility etc. every day and made conscious choices whether to do them. Substituted with walks/being active otherwise/being better about what I eat etc. Keeping up the switcheroo-challenge-mentality. It did me well. Though I lost just a little weight this time around, I do feel better about how I look.

Never really felt like the workouts weren't doable, it's just that most days I just didn't know WHEN to do the workouts? 

And I'm having a hard time letting go off my unhealthy snacks again. 

On the other hand, I tried quite a few new things, both moving and food wise. And that made me happy.

Food for thought... (Not too much thought,  more doing please!)

• Like 3

Battle log

On 4/28/2020 at 3:26 AM, analoggirl said:

I am struggling to relate to how your ears can be so accustomed to noise, and to generally feel such a need for noise. 

It's the technological age I guess, LOL. I know I need noise (usually the TV) to do stuff though not generally that loud. I usually try to find something good that I can basically ignore LOL. 

On 4/28/2020 at 3:26 AM, analoggirl said:

EDIT: Hey! I graduated from Separatist to Rebel this challenge! :D (That's really nice to write while I am still busy graduating from LLB to LLM! lol)

Hey, nice, congrats! And nice job getting the workout in! Also glad that you are enjoying the workouts!

On 4/30/2020 at 5:16 PM, analoggirl said:

this is basically going to be a NaNoWriMo type of racd for my thesis ... I prepped the story best as I could and now it's time to TYPE lol. 

On 5/1/2020 at 7:43 AM, analoggirl said:

The plan is to write about 500 words every day.

Yes, you got this!

Typing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Thanks 1

Seven habits book quote:

"The character ethic is based on the fundamental idea that there are principles that govern human effectiveness -- natural laws in the human dimension that are just as real, just as unchanging and unarguably “there” as laws such as gravity are in the physical dimension."

Some notes: Principles aren't practices, principles aren't values. Values are the maps we have written, principles are the territory. Practices are specific actions that are situationally specific. Trying to apply them to everything is like trying to raise a second child the exact same way you raised the first. If we manage to build values in accordance to the principles, we see things as they really are.

(Own addition: The joke is that no-one 100% knows for sure what are his values and what are the principles, although with time we start equating our values with The Principles more and more if we don't strive to also keep a Beginner's Mind.)

A quote I read in a post discussing the book shortly, that I am looking forward to placing when I actually get to that part of the book:

From “Habits” Defined
"For our purposes, we will define a habit as the intersection of knowledge, skill, and desire. Knowledge is the theoretical paradigm, the what to do and the why. Skill is the how to do. And desire is the motivation, the want to do. In order to make something a habit in our lives, we have to have all three."

(...)

"It's sometimes a painful process. It's a change that has to be motivated by a higher purpose, by the willingness to subordinate what you think you want now for what you want later. But this process produces happiness, “the object and design of our existence.” Happiness can be defined, in part at least, as the fruit of the desire and ability to sacrifice what we want now for what we want eventually."

• Like 4

Battle log

That was an excellent excerpt! 

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Maybe keep it aggressively small/simple so you can enjoy the momentum of succes more? 

On 5/1/2020 at 2:28 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

A tyro is an old fashioned word for newbie. I haven’t been doing Snatches long enough to give trustworthy advice. But you see a lot of new Kettlebellers doing swings almost like front raises until they get to an appropriate weight. And when I moved up to a 20kg Snatch my form automatically improved I think in order to protect myself from my poor form.

Ahhh I was wondering about ‘tyro’ too. You’re quite a kettlebell veteran though! A lot of it must translate even if snatches are new :) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 5/2/2020 at 6:53 AM, analoggirl said:

Remind me not to set a no candy goal around Easter time? I think our cookie batches are always bigger than we can handle finishing within a week.

Yeah, that's quite an ambitious goal. Might be good to give yourself a "Free" week or a couple days around holidays, so you get some indulgence in but have a time in mind to get back on the wagon. 

On 5/2/2020 at 6:53 AM, analoggirl said:

Most likely scenario is that I will simply review & retry this challenge's goals, now that I have no test weeks to mess with my rhytm.

Going to second what @KB Girl said - maybe try to have fewer goals so you can focus on each one more? Not having test weeks should help a lot though! Looking forward to the next challenge. 

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

13 hours ago, Red1263 said:

That was an excellent excerpt! 

Glad you enjoyed it!

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Maybe keep it aggressively small/simple so you can enjoy the momentum of succes more?

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

maybe try to have fewer goals so you can focus on each one more?

I'd written a whole psychological analysis of the reasons why I might be piling up quests to avoid facing my consistency problem, but once I got those rambles out of my head I decided to take your advice instead :) Thanks!

• Like 3

Battle log