CJ the (soon-to-be) Mighty Stays Home

So it's been awhile.  I did a few challenges a couple of years ago and then drifted away.  Well I am on my second week of working at home and have at least 5 more to go, so I might as well use my time productively.  Here are my quests for this period

Lift: Thankfully, I have a power rack, bench, and weight set in my basement so I am able to workout while social distancing.  I am following a 531 program, which has me lifting 4 days a week.  So I will stick to that for the course of the challenge.

Eat Right: Being stuck home with tons of free time makes snacking way too easy.  Therefore, I am going to be charting calories and attempting to stay in my designated range over the course of this challenge.

Stay Sane: This is going to be the real challenge here.  Every day I am going to try to do something fun that I need to be thankful for.  Examples are:

• My D&D game on Zoom
  • A board game (either solo or with my wife)
  • Playing outside with my Daughter
  • Making some BBQ

I hope everyone has a good challenge and most importantly stays safe.

• Like 5

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

Nice goals! Mine for this month is basically the same. Let's do this 

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

1 hour ago, CJ the (soon-to-be) Mighty said:

Lift: Thankfully, I have a power rack, bench, and weight set in my basement so I am able to workout while social distancing.  I am following a 531 program, which has me lifting 4 days a week.  So I will stick to that for the course of the challenge.

I am jealous of your power rack. I am lifting with dumbbells, which is exponentially better than not lifting at all, but it's not the same when it's not a barbell.

Welcome back!

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I, too, am envious of your rack. 

I'm happy to see someone is willing to step up and fill the void Grumble's absence has created for all of us. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

3 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I'm happy to see someone is willing to step up and fill the void Grumble's absence has created for all of us. :) 

Oh, I was serious. I have no bench, either. But I'm hoping a few pushups will perk things up. I've heard they can boost the, uh, spirits. A natural, equipment-free lift, as it were. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Oh, I was serious. I have no bench, either. But I'm hoping a few pushups will perk things up. I've heard they can boost the, uh, spirits. A natural, equipment-free lift, as it were. 

They do indeed boost the spirits just the same, way the bench press does. Or so I've been told.

• Like 1

Progress for March 23

Lift: It was Overhead Press day.  Everything felt good.

Eat Right: I stayed within my calorie target for the day and wasn't super tempted to binge on junk.

Stay Sane: I made a snowman in the morning with my daughter (it has since melted) and I watched the Mummy (Brendan Fraser not Tom Cruise) with my wife after we put the little one to bed.

Successful day 1.

• Like 2

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

25 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Love that movie! 

Me too.  Plus the D&D game that my group is going to be starting is an "exploring ruins of ancient Egypt and awakening lost horrors" story and I wanted to get in the mood.

Progress for March 24

Lift: Deadlift day.

Eat Right: I stuck to my plan for the day.

Stay Sane: After everyone else went to bed, I watched an episode of MST3K (one of my all time favorite shows).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CJ the (soon-to-be) Mighty said:

Lift: Deadlift day.

Yay deadlifts! How much/how many/how difficult were they? (I can't do any myself, cos I have no bar at home, but I can appreciate reading about others' deadlifts)

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

53 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yay deadlifts! How much/how many/how difficult were they? (I can't do any myself, cos I have no bar at home, but I can appreciate reading about others' deadlifts)

Right now I am doing 531's Second Set Last Program

So I did 140x5, 160x5, 180x5, then back down to 160 for 5x5.  The weights weren't that hard, the thing that is holding me back the most on deadlifts is my grip.  I followed that up with some face pulls and tricep pushes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CJ the (soon-to-be) Mighty said:

Right now I am doing 531's Second Set Last Program

So I did 140x5, 160x5, 180x5, then back down to 160 for 5x5.  The weights weren't that hard, the thing that is holding me back the most on deadlifts is my grip.  I followed that up with some face pulls and tricep pushes.

Excellent, excellent. Do you use double overhand grip? 

32 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Excellent, excellent. Do you use double overhand grip? 

I do, I figure that is the best way to build up my grip. 

• Like 1