starsapart tries to recalibrate

starsapart

16 hours ago, starsapart said:

The guy in line behind me was wearing a gas mask. So that was... a thing

I laughed at this, but on the other hand I was viseo chatting with my best friend in the US and when I asked him if he needed me to send him some masks, he said nope and pulled out his Army surplus gas masks (which were lying on top of his MOPP gear)...

So yeah, that is definitely a thing now :D 

• That's Metal 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I laughed at this, but on the other hand I was viseo chatting with my best friend in the US and when I asked him if he needed me to send him some masks, he said nope and pulled out his Army surplus gas masks (which were lying on top of his MOPP gear)...

So yeah, that is definitely a thing now :D 

Is this a legitimate, feasible option? Like... why aren't doctors wearing them then, as they are reusable? I do not know enough about this to understand.

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What can I say, I like my beverages untainted. 😉

More taint for me. I grew up on sweet black tea as a cultural standard, and I don't think I could go unsweetened, so stevia has been an amazing tool for me to decrease empty sugar calories.

tumblr_ni37fvwlyk1s7fsoho1_500.gif

WEEK 1, DAY 2

• Exercise
    • Movement: ✔️ 
    • Lifting: Not yet
  • Nutrition

• IF:   ✔️ 

• Limited snacks:   ✔️ 

• Outside time

• Get fresh air: ✔️

• Yard work:  ✔️ (2/2)

• Positivity: starlet stood unassisted for several seconds!

I'm going to not even talk about work because this is a positive space, but I feel you, Cook. I feel you.

Anyway, I managed the fooding thing yesterday, if barely. At the time I actually could have put up the hoop, the weather got cloudy and even sprinkled a few drops of rain, so I didn't do it... but we did spend maybe 20 minutes in the back yard, and I finished setting up the chair swing and re-coiled the hose and used the leaf blower to clear some debris. I also ordered some pruning shears/loppers/whatever which should hopefully come next week and allow me to tame the wild bush that has grown completely out of control against the back of the house. So yay, yard stuff is done for the week! Though I may do more, haha. Overachiever, I am. After starlet was in bed for the night, I did a HIIT legs-focused video with my wife from Mr. and Mrs. Muscle, which was actually pretty decent, as far as HIIT goes (I do not like HIIT). I only had to make a couple of modifications for my stupid toes, which is a win. I also recorded a splits training video at the request of a few people, but watching it back, it's a bit of a disaster. Trying to decide whether to share it or redo it when my brain is in a better state.

• Like 3

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

54 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Is this a legitimate, feasible option? Like... why aren't doctors wearing them then, as they are reusable? I do not know enough about this to understand.

There are filters in those gas masks that are not reusable, and when you factor in the initial cost of the gas masks with the costs of replacing the filters, it's simpler just to make other masks. At least that's how I understand it.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

13 hours ago, starsapart said:

Tank beat me to it. 

The short answer is yes, they are reusable but doctors don't use them because 1) the cost is prohibitive.  They cost much more to manufacture and maintain than what is already available and better suited for hospital use.  and 2) they are super overkill.  They are designed for use in nuclear, biological and/or chemical contaminated environments where exposure could mean almost instant death (or worse, long and painful death)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yay, yard stuff! It's always a nice feeling to see that kind of stuff done (or maybe that's just me and my Type A brain talking). Also, I feel you - HIIT simultaneously feels great and feels awful to me.

I always put off doing yard stuff because I'm allergic to grass (seriously) and tend to kill plants when I try to grow them, so I hire someone to maintain my lawn and don't spend a lot of time actually thinking about my yard otherwise... but with this new reality, that has changed.

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There are filters in those gas masks that are not reusable, and when you factor in the initial cost of the gas masks with the costs of replacing the filters, it's simpler just to make other masks. At least that's how I understand it.

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Tank beat me to it. 

The short answer is yes, they are reusable but doctors don't use them because 1) the cost is prohibitive.  They cost much more to manufacture and maintain than what is already available and better suited for hospital use.  and 2) they are super overkill.  They are designed for use in nuclear, biological and/or chemical contaminated environments where exposure could mean almost instant death (or worse, long and painful death)

I get that, but if we have such a huge shortage of masks that we have doctors macguyvering them out of scuba gear or using much-less-effective fabric, don't we have a store of gas masks somewhere (the military?) that could help fill in the void even a little? (That said, I'm suspicious of the shortage as it is, because certain states seem to be getting all the supplies they request while others, including my state, are getting nearly nothing, so maybe this whole point is moot. It's all just infuriating to me, so I guess I'll just stop talking about it.)

source.gif

WEEK 1, DAY 3

• Exercise
    • Lifting: ✔️ (1/2)
  • Nutrition

• Limited snacks:   

• Outside time

• Yard work:   (2/2 complete)

• Positivity: This was the second day in a row that I got to do a workout together with my wife, and I really missed working out with her, so it was great!

I had a really productive workday. Near the end of it, I walked out to the park to meet with @stillskies and starlet, who were already there. It's easier to let the baby crawl around in the grass at the park, since there are no rocks or patches of dirt for her to try to eat (unlike in our yard) and no window well for her to fall into, either. Once she'd exhausted herself, we headed home, made and ate dinner, and then I took her out to the backyard for a while with the bubble machine. She fully destroyed one of her footies to the point where it was never going to be clean again, but that's okay - she had nearly outgrown it, anyway. I tried to talk myself out of a handful of dried mangos after dinner and failed my willpower check, so given the other two snacks I'd had during the day, I did not successfully curb my snacking, but oh well. Lest you wonder why I'm counting dried fruit as junk food: I tend to overeat on dried mango like it's going out of style (I'm talking getting through a giant 28-serving bag from Costco in under a week), so anytime I dip into that bag, I consider it mindless junk eating. After starlet was in bed, we did another Mr. and Mrs. Muscle video (core this time), then did a little lifting! I experimented with light bench presses and OHP while wearing a wrist brace and it was tolerable, though even at a bench of 60 pounds, I felt right on the edge of the safety zone. I really wonder when my wrist is going to improve, already. Being unable to do high planks or push-ups or bridges is really putting a damper on any yoga I might want to do.

Forward-looking stuff under the cut, spoilered for length:

Spoiler

I'm getting some animal magnets for starlet in the mail hopefully by tomorrow, so I can theoretically keep her amused for at least a short while on the kitchen floor near the fridge (since she loses her baby mind if left in the gated playroom while I go to the kitchen, and shakes the gate until she yanks the screws out of the wall). This is also great because we're trying to teach her animal names and sounds. She isn't really talking yet (not uncommon with bilingual kids), but she is getting to a point of identifying some animals if I ask her to show me the kitty in a box of wooden toys, for example. The magnets will let us double down on that.

I'm also planning to drive across town tonight to pick up some stuff from my parents' place, since they have a bunch of toddler hand-me-down toys and even a little Ikea table and chairs that starlet has just about grown into... and who knows the next time she will be going over there? I had to talk my parents out of setting up their long banquet table in the driveway and putting together dinner with us at opposite ends. I certainly think that's safer than going into their house, but it still seems wiser all around to just converse from a safe distance and then be on my way. Memo to self: bring disinfectant wipes for the baby stuff... 

Our lawn care company got back to us with a date for our scheduled spring yard clean-up! I was worried they might be shut down, but I'm glad they are still working. It's an ideal kind of job to keep doing in this day and age, given we never interact with the workers (we schedule, pay, and tip online) and they stay outside the whole time. So theoretically, they're coming on Monday the 6th. By then, I will have (hopefully) trimmed down the out-of-control bush and generally gotten things to a place where the yard is very habitable. Not sure yet how to manage the eating-dirt-and-trying-to-chew-rocks problem with starlet, though, but it will still be a better environment for her than it is now. We've also got an old (I am talking 8 years?) mini grill that has been sitting under a tarp for most of its existence. I dug it out the other day but I'm not sure if it's worth trying to salvage or if I should just donate it. We don't grill much (though I wish someone who isn't me would develop an interest 😂) and grills are a pain in the butt to clean.

And finally.... finished the last bit of motivation/backstory/etc. tweaking for my bad idea bard. Theoretically, the campaign starts on Friday. Hope I don't make stupid mistakes and get her killed.

• Like 4

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

starlet is THE CUTEST nickname for her. Love it.

Glad you and your wife were able to workout together.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 4/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, sylph said:

Out of context, this makes for an ... interesting statement.

I've been snickering since the first usage in this thread.

Ah that park time sounds amazing.   We had sun yesterday and bit today, and while I've not run in like a year, I'm gonna go for a jog!

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

15 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

starlet is THE CUTEST nickname for her. Love it.

I must credit @WhiteGhost for that - he calls his kiddo Ghostlet and I thought it was the cutest thing ever (plus wanted to stop using starlet's given name on the forums), so I borrowed the naming convention. ☺️

16 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

I've been snickering since the first usage in this thread.

Ah that park time sounds amazing.   We had sun yesterday and bit today, and while I've not run in like a year, I'm gonna go for a jog!

Park time was indeed excellent! I'm not quite mad enough to try jogging yet, though. We'll see if I fully lose my mind one of these days............. 😋

gal1-nailedit.gif

WEEK 1, DAY 4

• Exercise
    • Lifting:   (1/2 so far)
  • Nutrition

• Outside time

• Positivity: I got to see my parents!!!!

Yesterday, we went on a walk as a family, I did what I believe @Tanktimus the Encourager refers to as a "baby ruck":

Holy moly, this child has gotten heavier since the last time I used the hiking backpack. She's about 20 pounds on her own and the bag isn't a feather either, so I was pretty pooped after a 40 minute walk like this, and my back and neck were yelling at me. She seemed to enjoy the new vantage though, so yay on that.

The snack quest is working as planned; there were several occasions yesterday where I walked into the kitchen looking for something to munch on and left with carrot sticks or grapes as opposed to cookies or candy. Woohoo, winning!

After starlet was in bed, I drove across town to my parents' house to pick up some stuff for her. We had a 20 minute conversation at a distance outside their garage. I was worried it would make me feel worse, but I actually feel a bit better having seen them in person. Along with sending along various stuff for starlet, my mom made us some fabric masks and insisted we wear them when we go out from now on (to the store, etc.), and though I know they're not ideal, I guess I need to look into homemade filters and start doing that, because even if it's a 50% reduction in exposure, it's still something. It might keep me from touching my nose as it will be covered.......

Today is rainy and may become snowy later, so I think I'm going to wind up with a pass on the outdoor goal for today, but I'm going to try to lift this evening.

• Like 4

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

3 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Holy moly, this child has gotten heavier since the last time I used the hiking backpack. She's about 20 pounds on her own and the bag isn't a feather either, so I was pretty pooped after a 40 minute walk like this, and my back and neck were yelling at me. She seemed to enjoy the new vantage though, so yay on that.

Her expression in that picture suggests otherwise. Or is it the idea of bring photographed that offends her? :D 

• Haha 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Just now, Scalyfreak said:

Her expression in that picture suggests otherwise. Or is it the idea of bring photographed that offends her? :D 

That was near the end of the walk and the sun was in her eyes.

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Haha dang, that is quite the baby backpack.

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

Yeah, it's meant for hiking. Probably a bit overkill for a neighborhood walk, but boredom breeds weird choices?

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Yeah, I was gonna say that's the most bougie baby rucking system I've ever seen.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

have-a-dragon.gif

WEEK 1, DAY 5

• Exercise
    • Lifting: ✔️  (2/2 complete)
  • Nutrition

• Outside time

• Get fresh air:  (weather exception)

• Positivity: My wife made me risotto!

Yesterday was cold, drizzly, and later snowy, meaning we stayed inside. starlet was extra grumpy for bits of the day, probably because of this. I was on the phone for a lot of my workday, though I did get a nice tea break and a little chat with @Mike Wazowski when the baby was napping. I did some deadlifts in the evening.

Mental health isn't in a good place right now, but I'm trying to drown the feelings in tea. The weather is still gross, so I'll probably have to skip getting fresh air again. I do get to play my first ever session of D&D tonight though, and I'm looking forward to that! Maybe it will help with the sads.

• Like 3

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

I think we were raised on the same tea stuff. Do your parents have one of those with the water in the bottom and the tea in the top? Maybe that’s also why dried mango is soooo attractive. Sweet tooth all around.

Glad you got to talk to your parents for a bit! 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 4/3/2020 at 10:51 PM, starsapart said:

I do get to play my first ever session of D&D tonight though, and I'm looking forward to that!

I had so much fun with you guys!  Hopefully I can get my mic working for next time

Level 2 Ninja

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I had so much fun with you guys!  Hopefully I can get my mic working for next time

Likewise, the D&D was a blast and exactly the kind of fun with people that I needed! :) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

8 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Likewise, the D&D was a blast and exactly the kind of fun with people that I needed! :) 

Yes, it was great! I'm glad I didn't completely bungle the whole thing, and I'm really hoping we can move the plot along slowly in discord until such time as we can all get together again. I wonder if we might try zoom or something for the audio next time? I had another call via discord the other night and it was also pretty bad audio quality. The app might simply not be the ideal audio format...

On 4/4/2020 at 2:40 AM, KB Girl said:

I think we were raised on the same tea stuff. Do your parents have one of those with the water in the bottom and the tea in the top? Maybe that’s also why dried mango is soooo attractive. Sweet tooth all around.

Glad you got to talk to your parents for a bit! 

Do you mean like a samovar?

71Njo7VPpcL._AC_SX522_.jpg

They do have a legit one that is boiled via burning pine cones in the central chamber... for that matter, I have a "fake" (electric) one, but this is mostly for special occasions.

It was definitely good to see them. In another week or so, we might be seeing them for real if things go well. They haven't been out (somehow, THEY can get their grocery orders delivered even though the rest of us can never get a slot) since the 26th, so this coming weekend it will be over two weeks. We're thinking that if all of us feel healthy at that point, pending the state of the world (ugh), we might extend the quarantine bubble to include each other. I really hope this works out and isn't a huge mistake, because we really, REALLY could use a break with starlet (and I really miss my parents). 😕

tumblr_olc5bckQR31vu06c1o1_500.gifv

WEEK 1, DAY 6

• Exercise
    • Lifting:  (2/2 complete)
  • Nutrition

• IF:   

• Limited snacks:    

• Outside time

• Positivity: I played my first ever session of DnD and my poor wee bard didn't die!

I even got outside to walk with starlet (properly bundled up) in the afternoon when the sun peeked out, and I was feeling very proud of myself for getting through all my goals...... and then I wanted a snack during DnD and there went all my nutrition  for the day. 🤷‍♀️  I'm contemplating moving my eating window to start and end later next time there's a session scheduled... because it's a fun activity that's more fun with snacks, and there's really not that much joy left in life right now so... we'll see? It was definitely a good time, though the audio challenges made it feel awkward to just speak actions aloud and I missed some of the important narration from both the DM and other players. Hopefully we can have better audio next time! I'm looking forward to seeing how this plot plays out.

WEEK 1, DAY 7

• Exercise
    • Lifting:  (2/2 complete)
  • Nutrition

• Outside time

• Yard work:  ✔️ (3/2 complete)

• Positivity: I managed to get the massive, overgrown bush in our back yard under control.

Saturday was a pretty good day in terms of productivity. Among other things, we took a family walk and then I attacked the stupid bush in our yard with the bypass loppers I ordered at @Tanktimus the Encourager's recommendation while starlet crawled around in the resulting debris and got filthy, which is basically her favorite thing to do.

giphy.gif

WEEK 1 SUMMARY

• Exercise:
    • Movement: 7/7
    • Lifting: 2/2
  • Nutrition:

• IF:   6/7 

• Limited snacks:   5/7

• Outside time:

• Get fresh air: 6/6 (one day weather exception)

• Yard work: 3/2

• Positivity: 7/7

Pretty decent, actually! Nutrition is the struggle bus, which should surprise no one. I'm leaving that quest intact this week since I've yet to hit it perfectly. For fitness, I think I'll add spinning conditioning at minimum once a week, which will also encourage me to use the rig as the weather continues to improve. For outside time, I'd like to add getting out into the yard to chill on the chair swing at least for a little while on evenings that I don't have immediate post-baby-bedtime plans.

More tomorrow. I can't brain any more tonight.

• Like 4

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

How did the loppers work for you?

• Like 1