Mike Wazowski: Everything is Fine

Subtitle: Aren't we all assassins when all the gyms close?

Subtitle 2: Even if the world is ending, I still ain't running!

giphy.gif

What's up, y'all? I'm Mike Wazowski, normally hang out in the Warriors but as multiple fine assassins have pointed out, I'm a de facto assassin by training style already, so I figured why the heck not guild jump right now. For those who don't me, I'm a 29 year old dude in Texas who competes in ballroom / latin dancing as something between a hobby and a second career and found nerdfitness something like 3 years ago.

Exact goals TBD, but there will be some form of positive thinking / daily gratitude mixed in with my strong streak of gallows humor. I'll probably also post about fitness-y things, because I'm trying to form a new routine with the sudden shakeup of my life that is my day job going to WFH and all my dance teaching stuff being canceled (partner and I are still practicing, although at some point we may lose the ability to do that as lockdowns escalate in the US). I'm also going to start weaning myself OFF all the news around the current global pandemic - I've been consuming entirely too much opinion and news on this thing, and tbh, none of it helps me be a better global citizen or be healthier mentally, it just ramps up my anxiety.

Draft goals, will keep updating:

1) Keep the routine, keep iterating on it - this is my first time working fully from home AND my first time in forever not having weekly teaching commitments, so I've gotta accept the messiness of all that. There's a lot baked in here, because I'm planning to start each day with a bit of prayer / meditation and exercise.

2) No news on COVID-19 (including no refreshing of the case count tracking that I've been doing a bit compulsively) - more info in this case is not making my life, my decision making, or my health any better. Exceptions: I follow the CDC and a "good news" account on Insta, those are OK (as is an occasional check of what's going on on social media).

3) Video chat both friends and my parents at least once a week (each).

• Like 5

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Ahh. I already feel more relaxed after reading "no news on COVID-19". I hope you get some relief from all the anxiety.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

46 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Subtitle: Aren't we all assassins when all the gyms close?

We most certainly are not. How dare you? 😠

The hazards of overdozing on news and social media feeds have never been more clear. Anxiety doesn't help. In fact, given that it reduces our ability to sleep well and eat well, it might actually hurt us right now. I will follow your thread as an escaped from Covid-19 talk.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Following for inspiration to actually train and be an Assassin/Ranger/Warrior rather than a... potato.

The UK government just banned us from going outside except for a few things including "exercise once per day". I'm hoping this will have some reverse Psychology and make lots of people suddenly decide they have a daily exercise habit as an excuse to get out of the house :P

I'm also guilty of spending too much time on the case tracker. It's interesting to see which countries are on the exponential curve and which countries have it under control, but ultimately doesn't really affect me...

• Haha 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

3 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

The UK government just banned us from going outside except for a few things including "exercise once per day". I'm hoping this will have some reverse Psychology and make lots of people suddenly decide they have a daily exercise habit as an excuse to get out of the house :P

It's actually very likely do have that effect. If nothing else, because going for a walk by yourself, might be the only time in 24 hours you can get away and be entirely by yourself, in peace and quiet.... and people are going to need that.

My therapist told me today that marriage counseling has gone up dramatically nationwide in the past couple of weeks. I told her I'm not the least bit surprised. It's amazing what you learn about your relationship when none of you can ever get away from each other.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I agree with Scalyfreak™

You are in fact all Rangers.

Pretty sure I'm just an unhappy warrior. Sure, I walk and do bodyweight exercises, but I think about barbells while I'm doing it. I do pushups but close my eyes and pretend it's the bench. Sometimes I even whisper "deadlift" while I'm out walking. Quietly, so no one can hear. It's not the same, though.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Here for absolutely-not-running (and probably some wishing-I-was-dancing) commiseration! 

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 | 30 ]

[ Current: I amar prestar aen ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nah you guys do cardio.

I AM NOT A RANGER, OKAY.

You and I (and many of our traditionally chronically overscheduled friends) are in the same kind of boat, 6' apart. We got this.

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 3/23/2020 at 4:16 PM, Harriet said:

Ahh. I already feel more relaxed after reading "no news on COVID-19". I hope you get some relief from all the anxiety.

Yesssss it's pretty great just saying it out loud. My therapist agrees it's a good idea. :D

On 3/23/2020 at 4:16 PM, Scalyfreak said:

We most certainly are not. How dare you? 😠

:P

The hazards of overdozing on news and social media feeds have never been more clear. Anxiety doesn't help. In fact, given that it reduces our ability to sleep well and eat well, it might actually hurt us right now. I will follow your thread as an escaped from Covid-19 talk.

Oh yes, I think most of us probably err on the side of collecting too much info, which in the case of a global pandemic can be...less than helpful.

23 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Following for inspiration to actually train and be an Assassin/Ranger/Warrior rather than a... potato.

Yesssss welcome aboard!

Haha if nothing else, it provides a nice anchoring benefit.

And also explains the meme one of my friends posted from Scottish twitter:

image.png

I'm also guilty of spending too much time on the case tracker. It's interesting to see which countries are on the exponential curve and which countries have it under control, but ultimately doesn't really affect me...

Yuppp. I refreshed it today, and recognized in the moment that it net made me feel worse, not better, and didn't arm me with any new and useful information. At this point, all I can do is live up to my personal responsibilities and do the best to keep the people I love sane (which somehow led to me offering to record goofy Tik Toks to entertain my college students - which will require me learning what Tik Tok is besides a great Ke$ha song).

19 hours ago, oromendur said:

Here for absolutely-not-running (and probably some wishing-I-was-dancing) commiseration! 

❤️ welcome aboard!! There is a 100% chance of me putting on my shoes and dancing in my living room by the end of this quarantine.

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You are in fact all Rangers.

This is the kind of propaganda I avoid reading the news for! :P

14 hours ago, @mu said:

Oh nice to see you in this little corner of the forums!

Are you working remotely these days?

Thank you! And yep, our very old school "how can we trust you're working if you WFH? and how will you collaborate with your colleagues?" company had to very suddenly pivot to basically everyone but our power plant, call center, and commodities trading staffs working from home. There have been a few network capacity issues for our VPN, but all in all not bad (it helps that we're switching to cloud-based everything, so we're less dependent on being in the same physical location as the servers running things). We're hoping that these next few weeks are successful enough to encourage them to rethink their policy.

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

No obsessive news checking is definitely the bestest goal. Joining you!

❤️ I suspect, given our collective personality tendencies, that we'll all benefit from a news fast.

7 hours ago, raptron said:

I AM NOT A RANGER, OKAY.

Right, you're a WARRIOR!! :P

You and I (and many of our traditionally chronically overscheduled friends) are in the same kind of boat, 6' apart. We got this.

Yuuuuuup, it's almost like a global pandemic is the only thing that would force me to pare back my schedule, get good sleep, and focus on improving my physical and mental health by doing other things than just working out more. And that might be the biggest silver lining coming out of this (along with me never taking the ability to walk outside and down to a coffee shop to read or do whatever for granted again, hopefully).

WFH Week 2, Day 1 (Look @raptron, I stole your week counting system!):

Pretty solid day all-around. Kicked off with the planned prayer / meditation, an upper body workout, and a breakfast of delicious protein pancakes w/ blueberries and chopped walnuts. Had a reasonably productive workday in retrospect, though I was still dogged by a lot of "not doing enough" demons that I need to quell. Impulse bought some books on Amazon, because well, I'll probably have quite a bit more time I could spend reading interesting stuff (in addition to rearranging my living room, which is a project I'm deep into during this forced break). After work, jetted over to the studio for a nice evening of dance practice (possibly the last one we'll be able to do in a while as our city ratchets up the restrictions, or at least last one in our studio vs. doing it in my partner's living room or something). Got home and pretty much just collapsed on the couch before collapsing in bed (not exaaaactly the evening routine I'm envisioning for myself, but it's a work in progress).

Workout from yesterday:

• Basic joint warmup
  • Pushups: 3 x 12, w/ Sit-ups: 3 x 12
  • Chin-ups: 2 x 5, w/ Ab Wheel: 2 x 5, and Sit-ups w/ Twist: 2 x 5 each side
  • Wall Handstand holds: 2 x 20s, w/ Plank / Side Plank: 20s each side
  • Hanging knees to chest: 2 x 12, w/ lying knees to chest: 2 x 12

I was pooped and sore after this - it felt good to be pushing my strength back up. Hopefully will make time for a lower body session today in between doing some work stuff.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

(along with me never taking the ability to walk outside and down to a coffee shop to read or do whatever for granted again, hopefully).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Thank you! And yep, our very old school "how can we trust you're working if you WFH? and how will you collaborate with your colleagues?" company had to very suddenly pivot to basically everyone but our power plant, call center, and commodities trading staffs working from home.

My boss once told another manager who was very vocal about having this kind of attitude, that if you can't trust your people to do their job unless you stand over them watching their every move, then perhaps you have not hired the right people... or perhaps your management style is not optimal for your team.

Also, Teams + Zoom = Collaboration up the wazoo.

jolly-cooperation-gif-2.gif 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The same way as working from the office. 🙄Seriously most of the time I'm way more productive at home than at work!

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

My boss once told another manager who was very vocal about having this kind of attitude, that if you can't trust your people to do their job unless you stand over them watching their every move, then perhaps you have not hired the right people... or perhaps your management style is not optimal for your team.

Also, Teams + Zoom = Collaboration up the wazoo.

jolly-cooperation-gif-2.gif 

Preach it, y'all!! And we've got both Teams and Zoom, so tbh I'm no less productive than I would be at work (or it's certainly not the lack of ability to collaborate - far more likely it's just adjusting to the WFH life and finding a ritual to tell myself "ok, buddy, now it's FOCUS TIME!" at the start and "ok, buddy, now it's DON'T THINK ABOUT WORK TIME!" at the end - I'm currently experimenting with both to figure out what'll work for me).

WFH Week 2, Day 2:

giphy.gif

My spirit animal atm.

Not my most productive of days from a work perspective, but lessons were learned. I slept in and skipped my workout, quickly made some muffins and got cranking to meet an 11 am deadline - thankfully, my boss liked the work I did (and I was a little ashamed that it was 2 weeks of avoiding a task and then about 2 hours of applied working time to get it done - recurrent theme in my work). I didn't accomplish a whole ton the rest of the day, but that's OK - I got out for a walk at lunchtime and enjoyed the newly arrived sunsine and some fresh air, then came home and made a quick lunch for myself. I skyped a friend after work and did a whole lot of nothing besides that (other than deciding to start a youtube channel for myself and my fellow ballroom team coaches to post tutorials and silly crap for the kiddos while they're home on break). While going to bed (entirely too late to be considered responsible, i.e. somewhere between midnight and 1 am), I read only a couple pages in "Atomic Habits," my on-again off-again read, and it was a section that really stuck with me about the difference between motion (doing something to prepare to move towards a goal) versus action (doing something that actually moves you toward the goal) - an example used was the difference between researching nutrition and new diets to try vs. actually making a healthier meal for yourself than you used to (the opening example was about art students asked to submit 100 photographs over the course of a semester, of any quality, to receive an A vs. students being asked to submit just a single picture at the end of the semester - apparently, the consistent trend was that the photos at the end of the semester were much better from the quantity group because they actually practiced taking better photos). I'd encountered the idea in similar setups previously, but I don't know if I'd ever seen it laid out so succinctly. To try and get more of it in my own life, I'll be writing it prominently in multiple places (including at the top of my day plan at work) to propel me into action from a state of inaction). I'm also restructuring my daily to-do list at work a bit to see if it'll help me focus on more productive stuff - we'll see!

Also, while video chatting with my friend, she mentioned that she probably needed a social media fast, which led me to commit to trying it for a couple days as well. So, other than to get login details for a virtual movie night on Thursday, I'll be aiming to stay off social media (checking in on NF once a day seems OK, this is more about weaning myself off compulsively refreshing things as a way of avoiding grappling with hard tasks and/or emotions).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

(and I was a little ashamed that it was 2 weeks of avoiding a task and then about 2 hours of applied working time to get it done - recurrent theme in my work)

Like you’re describing my life.

And a social media fast might be as good as a news fast right now. 

• Like 4

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'll thank you to kindly get out of my head.

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Like you’re describing my life.

It's uh...comforting to know I'm not alone on this one, I think!

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

And a social media fast might be as good as a news fast right now. 

Amen, sister!

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following along for non-binary guild identification :) 

I love this and also hate you for coming up with it before me! :P

giphy.gif

WFH Week 2, Day 3:

Talk about a weird, weird day. For some reason, despite going to bed late my body got me up well before my alarm, so I decided to apply some cold brew and a fancy breakfast sandwich to the problem. I got a lot of work done before the work day would normally start, but then my energy to do much of anything fizzled really hard - and I'm still working on a lot of the things I thought I could do yesterday (God bless the planning fallacy). That being said, it was still a really pleasant day of working from home, and I did manage to run the necessary errands to Target for medication refills and to Trader Joe's for food refills (going right when TJ's opened was a bit eerie - they were putting signs back up for all the products they were able to restock overnight, and it was A LOT of stuff). I also dipped out over lunchtime to enjoy the nice weather and grab a nice cold brew (the second of the day). A coworker posted a bit of an incendiary article in our team's chat channel towards the end of the workday that sent me into a four-hour-long writing marathon where I just passionately did the thing and lost track of time, cranking out a 3,500 word rebuttal. It was actually really good to do on a couple counts. First, it was cathartic to put all my thoughts about the state of the pandemic onto digital paper and now I feel like I've made my piece with it. Second, it felt really good to just create and write something, and it reminded me how much I love structuring arguments and debating ideas - it reinforced that maybe, in the not-too-distant future, I might make some form of career pivot into a totally different field than my current one. Third, I actually got really high praise from the managers in my department (including the guy I was replying to) and my colleagues, which was good reinforcement that I know how to conduct myself in intellectually rigorous space and how to present my ideas clearly and compassionately (while I believe that, I have been in some toxic work environments in the past that led me to question whether or not I *really* could cut it in debating my ideas. Also, I was proud to live in a way consistent with my values and take a stand, however small, in defense of collective action in service to the most vulnerable in society.

After all that was done, I powered through a bodyweight legs workout, took a quick shower, tested some video conference / movie party options for a virtual movie night myself and the other coaches are hosting for our college kids tonight, and proceeded to binge read all of the oatmeal's comics on creativity - a really good read that I'd highly recommend to anyone who creates anything or feels even vaguely like an artist, whether for fun or professionally. Concurrent with all this, I was also washing all my laundry for the past week and a half - I unsurprisingly use way less athletic clothing when I'm only doing dance stuff occasionally with my partner and not also teaching 10+ hours a week (and also working out in my underwear in my living room instead of in workout clothes in a gym).

Fueled by too much cold brew, I proceeded to switch out my whole closet from winter to summer and finish little miscellany of laundry that honestly could've waited. But I'd still say I don't regret my choices, even if today's rough thanks to less sleep than I should've gotten and today's been a wash from a work perspective.

LEGS FOR DAYS:

- Squats: 2 x 30; super w/ Modified side jackknife 2 x 15 each side

- Split squats: 2 x 12 each leg; super w/ Crossover 2 x 15 each side

- Step ups (using my tall kitchen stool): 2 x 12 each leg; super w/ bent-leg leg raises 2 x 12

- Straight leg bridges: 2 x 12; super w/ bicycles 2 x 15 each side

Been a while since I trained rotational abs (or legs, for that matter) and I was pleasantly surprised with how much of a sweat I worked up!

• Like 4