• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 3: Crows Circled Overhead

13 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Teach me!

Well, you make an ordinary ponytail, then add a band a couple of inches below the top. You now have a trapped segment of hair.  Hold firmly below the segment so it doesn't move. Pinch and pull on some of the hair from within the trapped segment; a little at the back, front, and sides. Only pull out 0.5-1 inch or so. Now you have a segment with some longer bits curving out. Take the pony below, separate it in two, and pull the two halves away from each other to force the band up a little, which will make the bobble puffy. You have a bobble! Add another band to trap another section, and repeat. Sounds complicated to describe but it's super easy to do. You can also look up bubble ponytail for more pictures and tutorials. I tried taking pictures myself but I'd need three hands.

yea I meant push-up. But it’s not embarrassing, they are ridiculously hard. Especially for those of us with some weight. I’ve never been able to do one. Not even at my fittest and lightest. 

Oh. This makes me feel considerably better. I thought we were all meant to achieve 20 pushups and 5 pullups or something.

And yea some people are unlucky with easy bruises or just their length/size/whatever that causes the bell to sit uncomfortably. Glad it doesn’t cause as much trouble overhead!

Thanks. Does everyone have bony forearms with not much fat or muscle? Or do men have more muscle there that sticks out beyond the radius/ulnar?

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

Since my scouts are all showing off their lovely hair, I will, too. I recently found a way to style my hair that's easy, doesn't pull (it's heavy) and doesn't tangle. I think of it as the stegosaur tail.

Pretty!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the explanation! I’ll try 🤔

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

Does everyone have bony forearms with not much fat or muscle? Or do men have more muscle there that sticks out beyond the radius/ulnar?

I don’t know.. I have a bit of padding there.. 

• Like 1

Love your hair and hair do. I always find it impressive when people can be bothered to take care of that much hair. 😄

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thanks. Does everyone have bony forearms with not much fat or muscle? Or do men have more muscle there that sticks out beyond the radius/ulnar?

As with everything it all depends on genetics and how you use them! People who grip a lot over long periods of time will develop bigger muscles and thicker tendons. Show me a swordsmith with skinny forearms. I doubt bony forearms were even a thing 100 years ago when everyone, male or female, was doing some kind of hard labour. Mine have more fat padding than muscle padding though. 😛

• Thanks 1

STEGOSAUR HAIR!

I think your email to Mr. Harriet was brilliant and I'm glad it seems to have gotten through to him about how much you are and have been doing on this front. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Thank you for the explanation! I’ll try 🤔

I don’t know.. I have a bit of padding there.. 

Excellent on both counts :) 

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Love your hair and hair do. I always find it impressive when people can be bothered to take care of that much hair. 😄

Thank you! I always, always, always regretted it every time after cutting it significantly shorter, so I figured I should learn my lesson and not do that. Also, I have social anxiety and loathe making small talk with hairdressers. So, that's a factor :D 

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

As with everything it all depends on genetics and how you use them! People who grip a lot over long periods of time will develop bigger muscles and thicker tendons. Show me a swordsmith with skinny forearms. I doubt bony forearms were even a thing 100 years ago when everyone, male or female, was doing some kind of hard labour. Mine have more fat padding than muscle padding though. 😛

No matter how fat I get, none of it goes to my hand and forearms. I sometimes envy ladies with beautiful smooth hands instead of terrifying arrangements of tendon. 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

STEGOSAUR HAIR!

Yes! Raaaar! 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I think your email to Mr. Harriet was brilliant and I'm glad it seems to have gotten through to him about how much you are and have been doing on this front. 

Thank you :) 

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

No matter how fat I get, none of it goes to my hand and forearms. I sometimes envy ladies with beautiful smooth hands instead of terrifying arrangements of tendon. 

That's very much genetic. My grandma has *the* daintiest wrists and ankles, even when she was quite overweight. My mum has the same bone structure, just not quite as extreme, maybe because she's taller. They make fun of my chubby baby hands when the rings they can wear on their thumbs only fit my pinky. 😂Personally I like tendony hands. It looks like they have stories.

• Like 4

Somehow I have a pretty small/bony wrist but some padding closer to my elbow :) Always have to take off quite a bit of the length of bracelets, for example.

But I also struggled with working with the kettlebells in the one-armed overhead(?) Press. Left hand more than the right for some reason. Being deliberate with the movement helped!  I guess that also adds difficulty to the exercise depending on what you're going for lol

(Oh but I do have cusshions on my fingers which gives them a bit of a child-like appearence along with their size too hahaha)

My gran has bony slender arms (and legs) no matter her size too. Because of lots of dish washing by hand the veins stand out more. I also find it looks like they have stories. And, of course, those hands have made loads of super tasty meals for us so that makes me have positive associations with those type of hands too 😇😂

A surprising amount of strength comes out of them when she is shopping at the farmer's marker and gets excited to get the best deals  for the best produce haha

Oh I enjoy these stories.

I cut my hair short but I am also looking to grow it again and avoid finding a good hair dresser that also respects small talk boundaries and lets me enjoy the head massage etc. :') Might as well spend that money and time taking care of it myself!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

I cut my hair short but I am also looking to grow it again and avoid finding a good hair dresser that also respects small talk boundaries and lets me enjoy the head massage etc.

If I thought you lived near me I would send you to mine, she is awesome and knows when to cut the small talk and when not to. And she does magic with coloring.

...which looks really weird when you've done a different color every appointment for a year, and then have to stop going because of a pandemic, by the way. My hair is longer than it used to be, and no matter how hard I look at it, I have no idea what color it is :D  

Oh, right, and I have large hands with thick wrists. Gloves and bracelets marketed towards women tend to be just barely large enough to fit me. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

If I thought you lived near me I would send you to mine, she is awesome and knows when to cut the small talk and when not to. And she does magic with coloring.

Haha that sounds deliiiightful! 

My dilemma is that I have pin straight thick hair. In theory, I need to have it layered otherwise it takes ages to dry, it is heavy etc. In practice, every single cut stands out. So if the layering is not smooth, or if the cut is not straight you see it. :D

The last hair dresser I went to washed my hair, and then went to smoke a cigarette because he was asking himself what he got himself into 😅 He was sighing so much in the end, and half assed drying it. I totally understood him though.

...which looks really weird when you've done a different color every appointment for a year, and then have to stop going because of a pandemic, by the way.

Colorsssss. That sounds fun!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

just barely large enough to fit me. 

Hurrah for mass production standards 🙄 

6 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Colorsssss. That sounds fun!

It is when I can get in. And my hair is super-fine, so trying to do a box color myself is just begging for trouble.

On the plus side, I know where all my hats are now. ;) 

Caught up!

I love your bird and geometric figure drawings. Lots of depth and texture. I am impressed.

Great job on communicating with Mr. Harriet! I hope he stays on the reformed path and continues to respect your choices to be healthy.

My sympathy on German declensions. I took German in high school and struggled with those. I'm working on French now and starting to get the idea of adjectives matching the noun in gender and number. If only I could remember the gender of nouns it would be easy. German is harder with three genders to remember.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's very much genetic. My grandma has *the* daintiest wrists and ankles, even when she was quite overweight. My mum has the same bone structure, just not quite as extreme, maybe because she's taller. They make fun of my chubby baby hands when the rings they can wear on their thumbs only fit my pinky. 😂Personally I like tendony hands. It looks like they have stories.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen any smooth, plump hands in my family.

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Somehow I have a pretty small/bony wrist but some padding closer to my elbow :) Always have to take off quite a bit of the length of bracelets, for example.

But I also struggled with working with the kettlebells in the one-armed overhead(?) Press. Left hand more than the right for some reason. Being deliberate with the movement helped!  I guess that also adds difficulty to the exercise depending on what you're going for lol

(Oh but I do have cusshions on my fingers which gives them a bit of a child-like appearence along with their size too hahaha)

My gran has bony slender arms (and legs) no matter her size too. Because of lots of dish washing by hand the veins stand out more. I also find it looks like they have stories. And, of course, those hands have made loads of super tasty meals for us so that makes me have positive associations with those type of hands too 😇😂

More varieties of hands and arms! 

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Oh, right, and I have large hands with thick wrists. Gloves and bracelets marketed towards women tend to be just barely large enough to fit me. 

Nice to hear about all the different types of hands and what we associate with them. I have large hands and small wrists, just to throw another variation in there. 

58 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Caught up!

I love your bird and geometric figure drawings. Lots of depth and texture. I am impressed.

Thank you!!! 

Great job on communicating with Mr. Harriet! I hope he stays on the reformed path and continues to respect your choices to be healthy.

I hope so! Otherwise I'll just extract myself from the argument and write to him again :) 

My sympathy on German declensions. I took German in high school and struggled with those. I'm working on French now and starting to get the idea of adjectives matching the noun in gender and number. If only I could remember the gender of nouns it would be easy. German is harder with three genders to remember.

Thank you again. Sympathies, lol. It's my fault for marrying a German, I guess. I've put in a petition for them to simplify the language down to just one gender, but I didn't get a reply from the ministry of silly adverbs. Maybe I addressed it incorrectly?

• Like 2