• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 3: Crows Circled Overhead

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Today I wrote and did art. The writing is really plodding along without inspiration, but I decided to just show up. I win when I get 1000 words or spend one hour on it... so even if I just stare at the screen and stab a few keys, I will meet my goal for the day one way or another. 

I also went for a walk, got some sunlight, and am on track to get my exercises and meditations done (6 sets and 3 sessions per day, respectively). I had my cold shower. It was dreadful but I live yet. 

You did it, nice job. :D 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

So... I was talking with my father about the virus crisis, and something hit me. I had looked at the shelter in place order and thought that I just have to get through three weeks. But this isn't going to be over in three weeks. It could be several months until we're considerably safer (either because they've com up with treatments, or the rate of infection has dropped, or enough people have had it already so that there is space in the hospitals). Even if they lift the shelter in place--which they will have to, because otherwise the economic costs will start ruining people--we will still have to decide for ourselves how much risk to take on and how to stay safe and sane. So I need to have a little think about what I'm going to do if, say, the gym doesn't open for five months i.e. the rest of my time here in the USA. Or if it does open but I decide not to go. Hmmm. I can't just keep eating pasta forever. And I probably need a more ambitious and comprehensive workout plan. I need more than just emergency coping plans. But I don't have to decide on that now. 

Yeah it's hard to really make plans right now. I say just do what you can do for now and take it one day at a time. That's all we can really do right now. 

• Like 1

Calling all KETTLEBELL PEOPLE for more quizzing

I'm here for five months, and I might not want to go back to the gym even if it does reopen. So I have KB questions.

1. Can KBs help me keep building muscle and strength if I've been doing barbells up until now? Or are they more cardio focused and just too light to help me keep progressing?
2. I can overhead press a 20lb dumbbell for 12 reps. Suppose I want to get one light and one heavy bell. Would 8kg/18lb be too light for my light bell? (I don't want to buy more than 2 bells because I'm moving back to Germany in five months. But I do want to pick something that can stay challenging for five months. Is that unrealistic?)
3. What weight should my heavy bell be? 16kg/35lb? Is that enough for challenging lower body work, given I've been squatting anywhere from 100-160lb and deadlifting 135-195lb? 

4. Are hardstyle/cast iron KBs the right kind? Is there anything wrong with grabbing competition style bells if that's all I can find?

• Like 1

Calling@Kishi ,@Machete ,@Elastigirl

If you can press 20# for 12 I wouldn’t buy one lighter than 12kg/25# unless you wanted one just for mobility.

As far as one for squats, etc. I don’t know. I suspect you’re strong enough for a 20kg/44#. Pavel suggest a strong lady starts with 12/16/20kg.

You can program KBs for strength or cardio or some combination. I like to say that in the continuum between obese powerlifter and anorexic marathon runner, they sit right in the middle. I’d guess for you that your pure limit strength will go into maintenance and your strength-Endurance and endurance will go up.

A diet heavy on racked front squats and OH presses has been known to bulk people up.

If you were anywhere near Minneapolis I’d let you try mine out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm here for five months, and I might not want to go back to the gym even if it does reopen. So I have KB questions.

1. Can KBs help me keep building muscle and strength if I've been doing barbells up until now? Or are they more cardio focused and just too light to help me keep progressing?
2. I can overhead press a 20lb dumbbell for 12 reps. Suppose I want to get one light and one heavy bell. Would 8kg/18lb be too light for my light bell? (I don't want to buy more than 2 bells because I'm moving back to Germany in five months. But I do want to pick something that can stay challenging for five months. Is that unrealistic?)
3. What weight should my heavy bell be? 16kg/35lb? Is that enough for challenging lower body work, given I've been squatting anywhere from 100-160lb and deadlifting 135-195lb? 

4. Are hardstyle/cast iron KBs the right kind? Is there anything wrong with grabbing competition style bells if that's all I can find?

8kg sounds too light for you. I'd go with 25-35 lbs. Since yo lift weights, you know techinique. If it is a bit heavy , you can start with low numbers of push press and then go from there. You sound way stronger than me, and I squat with my 30 bell, and lower bells with my 35 # bell. And if I want heavy swings , I pick either the 44 or55# bell. I think the 44# bell would be good for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh no a quiz

uh

UH

1.) They're definitely good strength tools. I've heard they're good for building muscle as well, but TBH I haven't really tried to use them that way before, just because my pursuits tend to reward lighter frames and overall recomposition over muscle mass. But I've seen some pretty muscly folk using 'em before, so.

2.) Having played with both, I would say it's okay to go lighter. KBs have a different feel about them as opposed to DBs, because with KBs the center of mass is behind your hand versus having your hand in the center of mass on a DB. You might find that 8kg might just be enough.

That being said, Pavel's advice to start with a 12kg isn't bad either; his programming tends to focus on high volume low rep sets, so instead of 1x15, he'd have you to do 3x5 with the appropriate weight. You might see your overall volume drop a little, but that's okay. You can get that back in time.

3.) Like @Sloth the Enduring says: 12-16-20 is the general progression if you're going RKC/Hardstyle. So if you're aiming to use these as your primary S&C tool while The Event is happening, I'd advise starting with 12 as the light and 16 as the heavy. And don't underestimate how small those numbers look given your barbell lifts! KB work is as much a matter of high quality movement and tension as it is anything else, and it totally carries over and preserves hinging strength.

This is not the only way but I don't know the other side well enough to speak for them. Sorry!

4.) Generally, the only wrong kind are those little plastic ones, and the reason for that is that they're generally too light to be any real use. I'd say they could still be useful for rehab/mobility work, but they're not worth much for S&C. As far as the Comp style is concerned, the only issue I really see with them is that they standardized the handles, which means that the only grip challenge is in terms of the weight rather than in terms of weight on top of a thicker handle. But they're not bad; they're still a challenge to use and you gotta make do with what you have, no?

Anyway, I hope this helps. There are other people out here who know lots of things, and you should pick their brains too to figure out what's best for you. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Calling@Kishi ,@Machete ,@Elastigirl

If you can press 20# for 12 I wouldn’t buy one lighter than 12kg/25# unless you wanted one just for mobility.

As far as one for squats, etc. I don’t know. I suspect you’re strong enough for a 20kg/44#. Pavel suggest a strong lady starts with 12/16/20kg.

You can program KBs for strength or cardio or some combination. I like to say that in the continuum between obese powerlifter and anorexic marathon runner, they sit right in the middle. I’d guess for you that your pure limit strength will go into maintenance and your strength-Endurance and endurance will go up.

A diet heavy on racked front squats and OH presses has been known to bulk people up.

If you were anywhere near Minneapolis I’d let you try mine out.

Perfecto, thank you! If you were in CA with your kettlebells, I'd tell you I can't try them out because it's against the law to meet people. Police will come and spray me with disinfectant if I leave the house for anything except walkies and picking up alcohol groceries.

16 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

8kg sounds too light for you. I'd go with 25-35 lbs. Since yo lift weights, you know techinique. If it is a bit heavy , you can start with low numbers of push press and then go from there. You sound way stronger than me, and I squat with my 30 bell, and lower bells with my 35 # bell. And if I want heavy swings , I pick either the 44 or55# bell. I think the 44# bell would be good for you. 

Thank you for replying! Good to know. I think I could go for 35lb for a squat and still get some use out of it (I mean, I can do lunges and single leg squats), but then I'm guessing it would be too light for the swings,  because these seem similar to the deadlift and my hip hinge is not bad. Ugh, I should probably get three but they're so expensive.

18 minutes ago, Kishi said:

That being said, Pavel's advice to start with a 12kg isn't bad either; his programming tends to focus on high volume low rep sets, so instead of 1x15, he'd have you to do 3x5 with the appropriate weight. You might see your overall volume drop a little, but that's okay. You can get that back in time.

18 minutes ago, Kishi said:

2.) Having played with both, I would say it's okay to go lighter. KBs have a different feel about them as opposed to DBs, because with KBs the center of mass is behind your hand versus having your hand in the center of mass on a DB. You might find that 8kg might just be enough.

Thanks for answering!  I've been doing powerlifting with low-medium reps until now, so I'm used to low rep/heavy stuff. I'll have to build up to high rep stuff because my cardiovascular fitness is very poor. 

I know what you mean about the different feel (I have used them for bottom up swings before) but I think I'm going to go for slightly heavier ones because I don't want to grow out of them over the next five months, and I don't want to buy more bells because I'm moving overseas at the end.

...Okay guys, I guess I'm going for 25 and 45 before I start overthinking and change my mind. I have a feeling the 45 is going to be super challenging, especially because my bony necromancer hands and forearms are not in proportion to my cart-horse hips and hams. But I'll probably be glad of it in five months time when my quads are totally qaran-jacked.

I-swole-ated.

Cabin feveripped.

Hermit-cules.

Stay-the-f***-home-pertrophied. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

It’s just a tool.. very versatile tool with a broad range of use. You can definitely make strength gains with it. Don’t listen to these crazy hardstyle people though, they’ll have you do abominable snatches before you know it ;) just stick to powerlifting type things! 
Only get an 8 if you’re interested in learning kb specific techniques. Otherwise go with 12/20. 
Don’t worry about overload, you just make the exercises harder- you can go from regular squats to paused squats to three point paused squats etc. 
comp bells are beautiful and definitely can be used for anything.. they’re just a bit unnecessarily pricy if you’re not going to be doing kb specific techniques. 

We’ve loaned out our entire set of bells to our members, also the non kb lifting members, 2 for each.. so I will be writing strength programs with 2 kbs for the foreseeable future and am perfectly willing to help you out too if you’d like. 
BUT there will be no getups or halos or.. swings.. or whatever these crazy hardstyle ppl do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

It’s just a tool.. very versatile tool with a broad range of use. You can definitely make strength gains with it. Don’t listen to these crazy hardstyle people though, they’ll have you do abominable snatches before you know it ;) just stick to powerlifting type things! 

I would like to do snatches, I think? I'm not allowed to do oly moves at the gym, so now is the time to try any and all moves that can be done with the KB and to see what's most fun!

11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

We’ve loaned out our entire set of bells to our members, also the non kb lifting members, 2 for each.. so I will be writing strength programs with 2 kbs for the foreseeable future and am perfectly willing to help you out too if you’d like. 
BUT there will be no getups or halos or.. swings.. or whatever these crazy hardstyle ppl do. 

Thank you so much for the offer! But I don't think I need a unique programme and I don't want to make extra work for you, so I'll just pick a beginner programme, add some things for my powerlifting if they're not already in the programme, and go from there. I appreciate you offering, though ❤️ 

• Like 3

I have two 35 lb ones and they are plenty heavy for swings, presses, squats, etc. Because of the shape they feel a lot heavier than the number suggests. Great for conditioning, power, and mobility. 

Not to confuse the issue but Instead of a light bell and a heavy bell, getting two of the same weight opens up new options. Double front squat, double swing, farmers walls, etc. Is a good option if you are worried a single is too light. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm. Now worried that 45 is too heavy. Wondering if I should have gone for 25/35. Or 25/25. I can still cancel and re-order.

OR ALL OF THEM--even if I bought four KBs I would still come out on top because shelter in place has me saving a lot of money on food and stuff.

Meep. Confusion. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hmmm. Now worried that 45 is too heavy. Wondering if I should have gone for 25/35. Or 25/25. I can still cancel and re-order.

OR ALL OF THEM

Meep. Confusion. 

Don't complicate this! If going double is your game right now, why not go for a double of the 12s? That way, you just have a single and a double version of the moves, and when it's time to go up, you just pick one and then two of the next heaviest!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I would like to do snatches!, I think?

Fixed that for you :D We need more snatches in this guild.

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

OR ALL OF THEM

This is the correct answer. But you should be fine with a 12/20kg combo. Home gyms tend to accumulate equipment rapidly.

• Like 4

But what kind of snatches are you going to do?? Will you join the dark side or the right side? 😛

if getting all of the bells is an option, then why the hell not :) an 8 is really pleasant to learn technique with. For perspective, I won’t even be snatching heavier than 10 for the next two or three months. 

doubles seems silly because you will have less options overall. 

• Like 2

I would love to see how the two different Snatches compare. I just throw the bell up and behind me and everything seems to work out ok. I’d also love to figure out that bell twisting around the wrist as it comes down. I can’t wrap my head around it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Fixed that for you :D We need more snatches in this guild.

10 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

But what kind of snatches are you going to do?? Will you join the dark side or the right side? 😛

Ima google snatches before I answer that. I don't even know what they are, I just know I'm going to try them. I'm going to try all the moves, even the Turkish get ups, if only once.

55 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

This is the correct answer. But you should be fine with a 12/20kg combo. Home gyms tend to accumulate equipment rapidly.

11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

if getting all of the bells is an option, then why the hell not :) an 8 is really pleasant to learn technique with. For perspective, I won’t even be snatching heavier than 10 for the next two or three months. 

doubles seems silly because you will have less options overall. 

Maybe I will, maybe I will. I could easily add the 35 to that order... In fact, it would probably be sensible to do so now before someone else discovers this website and buys them all. 

• Like 1

Did it. Ordered the 35lb. I'm sure I'll figure out some things to do with them :) 

And if Mr Harriet mentions the fact that we're leaving in five months, I'll just point to his bicycles, and also the money we're saving by not going to restaurants. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

27 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I would love to see how the two different Snatches compare. I just throw the bell up and behind me and everything seems to work out ok. I’d also love to figure out that bell twisting around the wrist as it comes down. I can’t wrap my head around it.

You move your wrist as if you were unscrewing a light bulb while the bell is starting to fall down. Only works if you don’t initiate the fall by moving your wrist though, you should initiate with the shoulder. 

And the comparison looks a little like this; 

though the guy doing the sport snatch is only a 6-7 out of 10, you get the idea. 

I just don’t agree with the “they’re different and suited to different purposes”. In my not at all humble opinion one is right and the other isn’t. But I’m cool as long as no one hurts themselves. 

• Like 2

We need the KB thread resurrected. Over on the StrongFirst forum there’s a faction that believes the snatch is a one-stop strength and conditioning movement. That I don’t really need to do anything else? I wouldn’t mind a stretch of only Snatches. How correct or misguided are they?

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We need the KB thread resurrected. Over on the StrongFirst forum there’s a faction that believes the snatch is a one-stop strength and conditioning movement. That I don’t really need to do anything else? I wouldn’t mind a stretch of only Snatches. How correct or misguided are they?

Really very much depends on your definition of strength.. I like to be a lot stronger than I’d get from just doing snatches. You could actually look at high level sport athletes to see what I mean- women were only allowed to snatch up until a couple of years ago.. and the top athletes were not very muscular at all.. since that changed (we added double clean and jerk) you see quite a bit more muscle on the women.

but I don’t know, hardstyle snatches are so inefficient you might actually get a lot stronger doing those 😅

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I just don’t agree with the “they’re different and suited to different purposes”. In my not at all humble opinion one is right and the other isn’t. But I’m cool as long as no one hurts themselves. 

The girevoy snatch is the right one? I'm ready to take advice. I'm not married to hardstyle or any style yet and I don't wanna tear my arm out or anything.

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Over on the StrongFirst forum there’s a faction that believes the snatch is a one-stop strength and conditioning movement. That I don’t really need to do anything else? I wouldn’t mind a stretch of only Snatches. How correct or misguided are they?

I don't see how a move that involves the upper and lower body can adequately challenge the lower body.... My biceps and my butt just have very different opinions about what counts as 'heavy'. 

So, today I was filled with brain fog and tiredness. I tried to convince myself to do writing, but I just couldn't face it, even after I reminded myself of my commitment to try to move toward discomfort. I tried to do the other things on my list, though. Got sunlight, cold shower, some exercises & meditation (though not as much as my list required). I am awaiting three kettlebells. I also ordered 1700 yards of off-black yarn (the colour, aptly enough for this challenge, is named 'rook') and some wine. I think quarantine is going to be okay after all. 

I'm watching Castlevania and knitting test swatches. Voice actors include Thorin, Slartibartfast, and Lucius Malfoy. There is weird anime sex, rivers of blood, and much extracting of human viscera by monsters. I am slightly uncomfortable, I make no recommendations for the quality of this show. But... I am going to keep watching it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm watching Castlevania and knitting test swatches. Voice actors include Thorin, Slartibartfast, and Lucius Malfoy. There is weird anime sex, rivers of blood, and much extracting of human viscera by monsters. I am slightly uncomfortable, I make no recommendations for the quality of this show. But... I am going to keep watching it. 

What season are you on? I genuinely enjoyed the first two, but have not watched the third season yet. I'm not sure if my enjpyment was due to nostalgia for the games or having low expectations of the show itself, but I would happily rewatch. :) 

4 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

What season are you on? I genuinely enjoyed the first two, but have not watched the third season yet. I'm not sure if my enjpyment was due to nostalgia for the games or having low expectations of the show itself, but I would happily rewatch. :) 

Three. The first two seasons, mercifully, had no sex. I never played the games, but I have a soft spot for Thorin and his lovely voice, so I had to watch it.