• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 3: Crows Circled Overhead

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I don't see how a move that involves the upper and lower body can adequately challenge the lower body.... My biceps and my butt just have very different opinions about what counts as 'heavy'.

A good snatch is 95% lower body. I can snatch more than double my oh press. 

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

The girevoy snatch is the right one? I'm ready to take advice. I'm not married to hardstyle or any style yet and I don't wanna tear my arm out or anything.

No worries. Everyone else here does hardstyle and afaik they’ve all still got a full set of limbs. 
Ofcourse I would advocate girevoy/sport/the right style ;) but the downside is that there aren’t quite as many YouTube how tos etc yet. However I would really like to try teaching someone online. My cv includes a silver medalling athlete at last years worlds 😛;)

(if you want to go with hardstyle after some research I’m cool, no worries)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

No worries. Everyone else here does hardstyle and afaik they’ve all still got a full set of limbs. 
Ofcourse I would advocate girevoy/sport/the right style ;) but the downside is that there aren’t quite as many YouTube how tos etc yet. However I would really like to try teaching someone online. My cv includes a silver medalling athlete at last years worlds 😛;)

(if you want to go with hardstyle after some research I’m cool, no worries)

Congrats on the silver medal! I don't know what worlds means, though... does that mean your athlete out-kettlebelled every woman in the world (except one)? That would be amazingly amazing!

Oh, no 😕 I didn't realise I had to pick a team... I thought I was just going to do some, you know, ~KB moves~ to get strength/power/endurance while I'm separated from my barbells... A quick search suggests girevoy sport style is more endurance while hardstyle is more strength/power... does that sound right to you? I've gotta say strength is more my thing, though I assume any style of KB training is going to be more balanced between strength/endurance than is powerlifting. And because I have limited KBs, I guess I'm going to be starting with strength (low reps) and moving further along the endurance spectrum (high reps) in order to make the transition between bells.

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I don't know what worlds means, though... does that mean your athlete out-kettlebelled every woman in the world (except one)?

Yes, that is precisely what that means.

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

A quick search suggests girevoy sport style is more endurance while hardstyle is more strength/power... does that sound right to you?

Not really no.. strength is build by doing more traditional lifting, kettlebell lifting is power/cardio regardless of style. Sport does tend to go higher rep, but it doesn’t have to. It’s mainly just a difference in technique. One tries to be as efficient as possible while the other doesn’t. 

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Yes, that is precisely what that means.

Well to be fair only at this particular world championships, there are several in her weight class capable of snatching more.. but they either weren’t there or had a bad day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Well to be fair only at this particular world championships, there are several in her weight class capable of snatching more.. but they either weren’t there or had a bad day.

They were scared to compete against you 

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 2

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

And if Mr Harriet mentions the fact that we're leaving in five months, I'll just point to his bicycles, and also the money we're saving by not going to restaurants. 

You could also mention to Mr. Harriet that kettlebell workouts are a great way to cross train to get better at biking :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

You could also mention to Mr. Harriet that kettlebell workouts are a great way to cross train to get better at biking :)

Mr Harriet has stopped squatting because his quads are too big for his liking and his pre-lifting trousers no longer fit. But maybe I can encourage him to try some swings and presses. 

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Not really no.. strength is build by doing more traditional lifting, kettlebell lifting is power/cardio regardless of style. Sport does tend to go higher rep, but it doesn’t have to. It’s mainly just a difference in technique. One tries to be as efficient as possible while the other doesn’t. 

Ah, okay. I was looking at girevoy sport style and they say you do ten minutes of an exercise without putting the bell down, while with hardstyle they do higher weight/lower reps. But I gather you're talking about a style of swing, not a style of programming? Still googling and can only really find vague reasons for one or the other. 

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

And if Mr Harriet mentions the fact that we're leaving in five months, I'll just point to his bicycles, and also the money we're saving by not going to restaurants. 

And that it's a small price for mental health!

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

As is the case for every single competition. Don't undersell yourself or your athletes, you're both phenomenal. 

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

However I would really like to try teaching someone online.

Because you don't have enough todo with a newborn and everything. :D But if you ever need a test dummy for a short term/low impact thing just to experiment on or figure out technicalities I'd be happy to help too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Mr Harriet has stopped squatting because his quads are too big for his liking

I....I don't understand this. Quads can get too big?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

LIES! Well, kinda - I'm not sure I want mine to grow to the point that I need to look at new pants, but I think there's a low danger of that thanks to stretchy fabric and athletic fits.

Harriet, how are you doing on keeping things CAWWSSOME? Love the acronym, even if I was slightly sad when I realized the title was not a Schitt's Creek reference.

• Like 1

Just now, bigm141414 said:

I know right? What is is he even thinking? He's not even a powerlifter, just a person who does some lifting for the general benefits. And he thinks if he gets too jacked his students won't take him seriously as a philosopher. I think they would take him seriously. If someone doesn't do the readings for the week he could just lift them overhead and defenestrate them. I'm thinking ancient greek warrior-thinker. But no. He just wants to fit into his clothes and enjoy some cycling. Up hills. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike Wazowski said:

Harriet, how are you doing on keeping things CAWWSSOME? Love the acronym, even if I was slightly sad when I realized the title was not a Schitt's Creek reference.

Thanks for asking! I did okay for a couple of days and now I'm struggling. I'm just so tired despite getting enough sleep. And it's difficult to do the writing when I'm tired. I'm getting some cold showers, meditation, sunlight, art, walks and bodyweight exercises in, though, despite the tired. So I guess it's not as good as my good phases, but better than previous sick phases. Mindful eating is... patchy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Indeed! I fully intend to use this as an argument if I need to buy more workout things for our home. "You know I'm much nicer to be around when I can work out regularly!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

And he thinks if he gets too jacked his students won't take him seriously as a philosopher

For in everything that men do the body is useful; and in all uses of the body it is of great importance to be in as high a state of physical efficiency as possible. Why, even in the process of thinking, in which the use of the body seems to be reduced to a minimum, it is matter of common knowledge that grave mistakes may often be traced to bad health.

[....]

Besides, it is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness before seeing what manner of man you may become by developing your bodily strength and beauty to their highest limit. But you cannot see that, if you are careless; for it will not come of its own accord.

-Bro-crates dropping some knowledge on Epigenes 

(yes I am aware that Socrates was referring to keeping in physical condition to be ready for war, but dang it, the quote is still good even without the context)

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

If someone doesn't do the readings for the week he could just lift them overhead and defenestrate them.

The ancient greek warrior-thinkers would be satisfied with this action and consider right and just :)

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Right. And I don't really have to convince him--I can do what I want with my bit of money, he's not looking to control or criticise that or anything. I guess he's more concerned about what we're going to do with the stuff we've accumulated when we have to pack up and leave. Donate my expensive KBs to charity? Bury them in the yard? Give them to a friend who is too skinny and needs to get jacked?

16 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

For in everything that men do the body is useful; and in all uses of the body it is of great importance to be in as high a state of physical efficiency as possible. Why, even in the process of thinking, in which the use of the body seems to be reduced to a minimum, it is matter of common knowledge that grave mistakes may often be traced to bad health.

[....]

Besides, it is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness before seeing what manner of man you may become by developing your bodily strength and beauty to their highest limit. But you cannot see that, if you are careless; for it will not come of its own accord.

-Bro-crates dropping some knowledge on Epigenes 

(yes I am aware that Socrates was referring to keeping in physical condition to be ready for war, but dang it, the quote is still good even without the context)

The ancient greek warrior-thinkers would be satisfied with this action and consider right and just :)

I'll share this with him. Also, I think I realised why those ancient greeks wore robes and togas and stuff. It's because shirts and trousers are too hard to tailor when you're that swole. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Donate my expensive KBs to charity? Bury them in the yard? Give them to a friend who is too skinny and needs to get jacked?

Your third option look very similar to your first option... and you absolutely should.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scalyfreak said:

Your third option look very similar to your first option... and you absolutely should.

You're calling my skinny friend a charity case? Lol. Let me donate some muscles, girl, you're nearly bankrupt. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I know right? What is is he even thinking? He's not even a powerlifter, just a person who does some lifting for the general benefits. And he thinks if he gets too jacked his students won't take him seriously as a philosopher. I think they would take him seriously. If someone doesn't do the readings for the week he could just lift them overhead and defenestrate them. I'm thinking ancient greek warrior-thinker. But no. He just wants to fit into his clothes and enjoy some cycling. Up hills. 

I think being jacked could help motivate his students as well 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah, okay. I was looking at girevoy sport style and they say you do ten minutes of an exercise without putting the bell down, while with hardstyle they do higher weight/lower reps. But I gather you're talking about a style of swing, not a style of programming? Still googling and can only really find vague reasons for one or the other. 

Yes I was talking about style.. in competition you do indeed do 10 minutes, but it’s like cycling, you can do it for hours or in intervals or whatever- but we all agree approximately how you should be sitting on the bike. It’s the how that hardstyle and sport style don’t agree on. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yes I was talking about style.. in competition you do indeed do 10 minutes, but it’s like cycling, you can do it for hours or in intervals or whatever- but we all agree approximately how you should be sitting on the bike. It’s the how that hardstyle and sport style don’t agree on. 

Got it. So I just have to choose what kind of swing to do---the more rigid hardstyle or the more bendy girevoy. I guess I would give them both a try and see what feels best. 

Got it. So I just have to choose what kind of swing to do---the more rigid hardstyle or the more bendy girevoy. I guess I would give them both a try and see what feels best. 

Right! All the making fun I’m doing is also only aimed at snatches, just so we’re clear. Nothing wrong with a hardstyle swing, it’s more hip hinge while a sport swing has a combo of hinge and squat. Both have their uses... but only one translates into snatches and the other doesn’t ;) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The hardstyle swing breathes opposite of sport. It’s hard to break that habit, so you might want to swing correctly from the start.

Ah. So it's like at the start of Skyrim when I have to choose to go with Hadvar or Ralof. But more permanent. Oh, which one do you think is correct?

54 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Right! All the making fun I’m doing is also only aimed at snatches, just so we’re clear. Nothing wrong with a hardstyle swing, it’s more hip hinge while a sport swing has a combo of hinge and squat. Both have their uses... but only one translates into snatches and the other doesn’t ;) 

Okay, so I'm not choosing a team, just a snatch. And I can still programme it low & heavy. So tell me, why is the GS snatch better? After some time googling I still don't have a clear idea why I would choose one over the other... 

I don’t know why you would choose one over the other either. I do hardstyle because my first class was with an RKC. Later I had a sports guy try to teach me to do it correctly, but my mental pathways were already forged and I couldn’t wrap my head around it.

• Like 1