• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 3: Crows Circled Overhead

53 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

This makes me think I have underestimated the worth of dumbbells and that being forced to change my workouts will in the end be a good thing that leads to becoming stronger overall. :) 

I like to think so. Sometimes we need a pandemic to show us the path of wisdom. Strength wisdom. It's like strength endurance.

• Like 2

Only those Americans who identify as midwestern 

It’s an attribute that’s dying out as Americans get homogenized anyway.

I have a pink KB too.

That twist is normal unless you’re purposely not doing it.

Sorry I don’t remember how I learned a decent clean. The Most Loathed, who’s no longer active here, worked through it with me. He suggested I use wrist protection until I get it down. I still use them for snatching. The brand I use is “Kettleguards”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really liked the second video that Sloth posted. The press he showed at about the 3 minute mark is the angle I use. As I press up,  I move my upper arm (the horizontal section)at a slight angle to the outside, while keeping the  forearm vertical. Maybe if you take a video, we can give some tips. Getting a smaller bell is great idea too. When I suggested a heavier bell, I was just thinking of straight carryover. I have always said the kettlebells are so good for my joints, so it's interesting to hear your comparison between bells and weights. And , huh, maybe I am stronger than I think I am. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I really liked the second video that Sloth posted. The press he showed at about the 3 minute mark is the angle I use. As I press up,  I move my upper arm (the horizontal section)at a slight angle to the outside, while keeping the  forearm vertical. Maybe if you take a video, we can give some tips. Getting a smaller bell is great idea too. When I suggested a heavier bell, I was just thinking of straight carryover. I have always said the kettlebells are so good for my joints, so it's interesting to hear your comparison between bells and weights. And , huh, maybe I am stronger than I think I am. 

You are mighty. Very sturdy wrists, I am guessing. I will strive to emulate all of you kettlebellers and get strong wrists, also. Thanks, if I have trouble even with the smaller bell I shall post a video. For now, I think I sort of understand the movement but just need something lighter.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

The idea of all that free time without internet but without the energy to do anything else is a bit scary.

What if you schedule the blocker only for when you want to start an activity? Say that you want to start writing every day at 10 am and drawing at 4 pm, then you'd schedule the internet blocker for just an hour or two i.e. between 10-12 and 4-6. Then that could be the interval where you at least try a few times, and if that really doesn't work you only have to come up with something to do for an hour or so before you can go back to mindless internetting. If you still want to. 

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

I like to think so. Sometimes we need a pandemic to show us the path of wisdom. Strength wisdom. It's like strength endurance.

Definitely a good opportunity to work on weaknesses!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What if you schedule the blocker only for when you want to start an activity? Say that you want to start writing every day at 10 am and drawing at 4 pm, then you'd schedule the internet blocker for just an hour or two i.e. between 10-12 and 4-6. Then that could be the interval where you at least try a few times, and if that really doesn't work you only have to come up with something to do for an hour or so before you can go back to mindless internetting. If you still want to. 

Yes, that makes sense. I could do that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Me neither, dude, me neither. Kettlebells are going to make us so balanced, well-rounded and generally fit. I can sense it. 

Thank you @Sloth the Enduring for posting the videos!

I am also using kettlebells for the first time in my training at home. I started with the NF Basic Kettlebell workout because it is free and simple. And surprisingly challenging. My set of bells currently has 5, 10, 15 and 20 lbs. (2.25, 4.5, 6.8 and 9kg). So far I am finding stability to be much more of an issue than strength. I'm sticking with 10 lb. until I feel like I have decent control.

• Like 2

Eeep. I went for a walk yesterday with Mr Harriet and I had trouble breathing, almost as soon as we left the house. I wasn't puffed--we weren't working hard. It just felt like I was trying to drink a frozen smoothie through a tiny straw, if you know what I mean. Plus there was a bit of sneezing, post nasal drip, and my ears felt blocked. But I have been taking zyrtec. Today my face feels all sinuses and I'm tired. What does it mean? Do I have allergies? Allergic asthma? Something else? Why is it only happening this year and not last year? Is it allergies? Asthma? Allergic Asthma? What should I do? I haven't noticed that either the albuterol inhaler or the zyrtec have made much of a difference. 

I felt totally fine when I did the KB workout inside, though. Just out of breath in a normal, squats kinds of way. 

15 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I am also using kettlebells for the first time in my training at home. I started with the NF Basic Kettlebell workout because it is free and simple. And surprisingly challenging. My set of bells currently has 5, 10, 15 and 20 lbs. (2.25, 4.5, 6.8 and 9kg). So far I am finding stability to be much more of an issue than strength. I'm sticking with 10 lb. until I feel like I have decent control.

So we're in the same position! Everyone is going to become a kettlebeller during this pandemic. Yep, stability more than strength. It will be great to have, because often when I go to lift everyday objects I find that my barbell training doesn't carry over as much as I'd hope, when something is difficult to grip or an awkward shape. Plus we'll get more conditioning this way. Cardio that feels like a strength workout. It's ideal for the cardio-phobe, I think.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Cardio that feels like a strength workout. It's ideal for the cardio-phobe, I think.

This would be a strong argument in favor of kettlebells if I was a cardio-phobe. Which I am not. I simply detest almost all the forms of cardio I've ever tried, which is not at all the same thing. 😛 

ETA: When you do your workouts outside you're always in the same location, right? Probably close to home? What did you walk past, that could trigger seasonal allergies? Keep in mind that pollen from trees and grass often is very high this time of year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Yes, that makes sense. I could do that. 

If you try let me know if it works. I'm just trying to come up with ideas that I could apply myself.  😄

22 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

This would be a strong argument in favor of kettlebells if I was a cardio-phobe. Which I am not. I simply detest almost all the forms of cardio I've ever tried, which is not at all the same thing. 😛 

I'm so with you.

And yes it really does sound like pollen allergies. They can develop over time, and also vary from year to year in severity depending on pollen count.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

You don't fear cardio, you hate it. That's the difference between a cardio-phobe and a miscardist (like misanthropist).

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You don't fear cardio, you hate it. That's the difference between a cardio-phobe and a miscardist (like misanthropist).

I still feel a need to point out that this doesn't apply to all cardio, only to about 90% of the types I've done in the past. 😛

And "Miscardist" needs to be preserved as a title for someone who has fully earned it ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

When you do your workouts outside you're always in the same location, right? Probably close to home? What did you walk past, that could trigger seasonal allergies? Keep in mind that pollen from trees and grass often is very high this time of year.

Berkeley is utterly filled with a wide variety of plants from all around the world. I'm not familiar with most of them, though I do see the occasional grevillea and callistemon. I never learned European plant names, let alone American ones. About seven years ago a skin prick test said I was mildly allergic to grass and rye. 

40 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

And yes it really does sound like pollen allergies. They can develop over time, and also vary from year to year in severity depending on pollen count.

Ah. So, what does one do if one is already taking zyrtec? I don't get the itchy eyes that others do. It's mostly sinuses. 

37 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well, I think you're right. Miscardioist? I discriminate against cardio and say derogatory things about it. I cross the street when I see it coming (but at a walk, not a jog... obviously).

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

Hmm, actually, this more nuanced view makes sense. I didn't mind getting out of puff at taekwondo. I do hate cardio machines, though. Maybe we should take up swimming when this thing is over. Or something with a view. I almost wish I could jog.

45 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

If you try let me know if it works. I'm just trying to come up with ideas that I could apply myself.  😄

This morning I put on a one hour distractions block and did some art. I haven't decided to schedule it yet. I'm just so reluctant to commit right now because I've been so tired. Anyway, I listened to sycra's youtube video on composing with shapes. He's not a good teacher... he rambles and says in 40 minutes what he could have said in four. But I tried some different compositions with my crows, and I think just playing around with shapes to see how they look is a great idea. It's super easy with the digital layers.

Hmm. I'm feeling like the writing is hard but the art is a bit more intuitive. Maybe I can do the art first thing, because it feels less threatening. Maybe I can do the writing in the afternoon. Or I could just take a week off writing and focus on art because I'm not feeling so hot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hmm, actually, this more nuanced view makes sense. I didn't mind getting out of puff at taekwondo. I do hate cardio machines, though. Maybe we should take up swimming when this thing is over. Or something with a view. I almost wish I could jog.

I love swimming and that's what used to do for cardio. Then my gym closed their pool for over six months before they finally confessed that it was impossible to stop the thing from leaking and causing water damage to the other businesses in the same building, and apparently that meant the insurance company flat out refused to pay for any more repairs. Right before the pandemic started they were in the process of converting the area where the pool was, to more workout space.

I'm still bitter about this.

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

What’s wrong with you people.

84dbe5109809c1dc54c2db59c7f262f8.jpg

Rocks... like having stones thrown at me? Jogging hurts (shins), cycling is terrifying (cars, balance), cardio machines are boring AND painful, taekwondo was fun but hurt my knees. Hate bodyweight exercises. Twisted my ankle while skipping. That's all I've tried, really. Maybe dance would be okay? Probably can't do tennis because of the dodgy knees/shins/ankles. No pool. What else is there? 

2 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I love swimming and that's what used to do for cardio. Then my gym closed their pool for over six months before they finally confessed that it was impossible to stop the thing from leaking and causing water damage to the other businesses in the same building, and apparently that meant the insurance company flat out refused to pay for any more repairs. Right before the pandemic started they were in the process of converting the area where the pool was, to more workout space.

I'm still bitter about this.

Alas :( Apparently no pool is preferable to a bad pool. But it's a pity.

Oooo dancing is fun cardio! I can do dancing! 

It used to be my favorite form of cardio actually... this needs to be tested in some kind of experiment involving Nightwish and a couple of scarves! 💃

• Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ah. So, what does one do if one is already taking zyrtec? I don't get the itchy eyes that others do. It's mostly sinuses. 

I've no idea, I don't have allergies*, but I've seen plenty of people suffer.

*as of yet, I've noticed the occasional irritation and my mum got it late so I might be following in those footsteps.

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Anyway, I listened to sycra's youtube video on composing with shapes. He's not a good teacher... he rambles and says in 40 minutes what he could have said in four. But I tried some different compositions with my crows, and I think just playing around with shapes to see how they look is a great idea. It's super easy with the digital layers.

Thanks for the warning. :) And awesome job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Rocks... like having stones thrown at me? Jogging hurts (shins), cycling is terrifying (cars, balance), cardio machines are boring AND painful, taekwondo was fun but hurt my knees. Hate bodyweight exercises. Twisted my ankle while skipping. That's all I've tried, really. Maybe dance would be okay? Probably can't do tennis because of the dodgy knees/shins/ankles. No pool. What else is there? 

Kettlebells. The only cardio that's ok because it involves lifting heavy things.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Kettlebells. The only cardio that's ok because it involves lifting heavy things.

Disagree. Playing with a dog is also okay, even if it sometimes accidentally turns into cardio, because the dog is happy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

source.gif

I mean think about it, Clerics and Warhammers just...go together.

Also dwarven warriors. *goes to look up hammer training*

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1