I slipped up and now I'm almost back at square one

Sorry if this isn't allowed or considered to be venting instead or something.

I'm so bummed about all the progress I had made just over a year ago. I had lost around 40 pounds and was feeling great but had a few things happen.  I started experiencing a lot of burnout from college, followed by a break up, depression, other mental health issues, and physical health issues. My home life also went completely nuts for the most part.

I moved back home when I started college because my job does not pay well at all or give many hours (10 a week) despite me being a manager. Things were awesome for a while and I managed to lose around 40 pounds. At the time, my family was pretty supportive and proud of me. We divided up bills and I helped out with what I could. My father handled all the shopping until he decided he wasn't going to anymore. We haven't had any healthy foods in the house for over a year. He began only buying junk food or fast food and bringing it home. For example he'll buy something like 3 tubs of ice cream, several packs of oreos, and other snacks and call it grocery shopping. Its driving the other people in the house nuts as well. My mom wanted to take up the grocery shopping since my father seems to go below the bare minimum but its really the last thing she wants to do after working for 12 hours a day. Since I make barely any money, I can't really afford to go grocery shopping for 4 people. In the past I have suggested that he just give me the money and I'll grab food on the way home from classes or work but he refuses because its "his job as the head of the house."

At first I would just refuse to eat at home but it started messing with me since I was always hungry and drowsy from having no energy. With my tax return I was going to join a gym since working out at home is just a hassle with so many people in a small house but then all of this corona stuff has happened and gyms are closed near me (lol)

I'm just really depressed over all of this and I'm trying to figure out how to "respawn" in my current situation. At the moment I'm stuck trying to figure out anything. All I know is that I hate that I've gained back over 30 of the 40 pounds that I lost. Is there anyone that can give some kind of advice or helpful hints?

I guess I would say that you should deal with depression with a doctor,therapist or psychiatrist. There’s no shame in having this kind of problem.  If you have difficulty with your emotions then it will undermine your attempts to eat better, be more healthy and get fit.

There are quite a few exercise routines that don’t require a gym so don’t let that stop you from trying to be active.  This site has several good suggestions.  You could also start a running or walking program.

the real key to losing weight is in your diet.(I think you already knew that). Your going to have to figure out how ...but if you did it once, do it again.  

Feel free to describe how you gonna get healthy.. and welcome to the forum

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Ps reading about home doesn’t sound very healthy. Maybe you should be very firm with your dad. Your an adult,right? He needs to allow you to control your diet! IMHO

and if not well things have to change!

agree that corona makes this even harder but now especially you need to be healthy 

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

I always liked the saying "this too shall pass". Do what you can when you can. Even if it is one small thing. That small thing might be to get one healthy meal or snack a day from the store for yourself. If the rest of the time you have to eat what's at home and it might not be that healthy, deal with it, do some cardio and know it won't last forever. You are young, there will be ample opportunity for you to be on your own to amp up your health efforts. Be patient. Ride this tough time through. 

• Like 1

Firstly, congratulations for going so far with your weight loss. You did well, dig deep, you will get through this. 

Second, I am so sorry you’ve having to go through that. It’s torture when you can’t control the food that is put in front of you, especially when don’t want to encroach on a family member’s “territory” of the kitchen out of respect of their boundaries and roles in the house.

Have you spoken to your dad as to why he’s changed his shopping habits? Or ask how he feels about the food he buys? Or have you observed any other changes in his life that might change his behaviour in the event he cannot articulate why he changed his shopping habit? Is he using it to assert authority? Is there any other way to assure him that his authority is not challenged if you request for change? These are some questions if answered that might help you find a solution.

//Min :: Battle Log 2020 :: Wings of Freedom 1, 2, 3 (current challenge)