The Hard Reset or the Return of Ruby-Wan

So... I fell off the wagon in 2017, rolled into a lake that went up in flames and was hit by an asteroid. Basically. It is now 2020 and the world is on fire. At least I'm fine now and ready to undo all that damage, lol. Previously, I would do some sort of story arc for my quest and that is something I will probably post in a later comment here, or just save once I'm out of the tutorial that is challenge 1. For now, my main goal is solely to hit my goals and stay consistent so as the long overdue reset my goals will be thus:

1. 1.4K cut-off -- log 1400 cals or less with a grace range of about 40 cals. I think my requirement is something like 1432 cals/dy but the number 1400 is easier. 

2. Hit 5 min of strength OR 10 min of cardio at least 5 days/week -- this seems like a painfully low goal to me but my life has been filled with overdoing and overexerting myself until I wipe out GTA style. cue slow-mo desaturated footage and WASTED graphics...

3. 5 meals to eat out / week -- I may revise this goal due to the quarantine. This sounds like a lot but I was doing much worse just last month I assure you. Even still, I must be able to track this in order to hit goal #1 for my food log, so I can't go crazy. I found a hamburger + half-order fries at in-n-out is about as splurgy as i can go to stay in range. since pizza is my kryptonite i think i best steer clear if i cant get nutrition facts for it. most of the time tacos (real ones), salads, sushi and panda express are probably my best bet given what I tend to order.

Life Goal:

4. write or draw 1 hr/day at least 5 days/week -- after 2 yrs of not drawing and wondering if i'd ever get out of creative burnout I got to explore a whole other side of myself. Part of that was accepting my limits and never forcing creativity. That's how I lost it in the first place. When I broke the block in Jan 2019 with writing, a brand new story came flooding out and whenever I could grab a spare 10 mins here and there I worked out a story more complete than anything I had previously done over the course of years. I now have a (albeit rough) skeleton story that just needs fleshing out. It wasn't until the end of July 2019 that I picked up a pencil again. In a matter of a few days, I was already drawing better after a 2-yr break than I ever had. While I'm still trying to lock the art for this project, writing is my current priority but I'm not blocking myself off to one or the other, just doing whatever I feel like doing each day as long as I do something. To expand the story, I just started focusing on short stories about characters and the universe. 

My bad this started getting way too wordy the further I went (lmao look at that progression...) I'll just stop here. There was a lot that went into my hiatus and the new things I'm struggling with just trying to get back on the wagon, but I'll add anything else necessary later and if anyone has any questions I'm an open book. Oh and lastly... I'm very glad to back. :)

• Like 6

Tyr the Conqueror  [ Half-Dwarf | Rebel ]

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Volume: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

On 3/25/2020 at 2:46 PM, J3NN said:

How's it going so far? Your goals seem very reasonable for jumping back in...especially amidst a quarantine. Just enough to get you going and keep you focused. Wishing you luck and looking forward to reading your story arc. :)

Many thanks! I hope your own challenge is going well. My update after the first official week comes after also starting school after an extended spring break while our school moved to online only classes...

1. Calorie Goal - 5/5 💚 

2. Workout Goal - 3/5 💔

3. Takeout Goal - 4/5 💚

4. Creative Goal - 5/5 💚

As expected, I met the most resistance from myself in the fitness sector of my challenge. While I didn't hit the goal for the week, it wasn't entirely disastrous. I give myself credit on the other three, as i'm especially proud of not using all 5 takeout meals i could've this week -- i actually counted just a boba run in the takeout numbers this time as i wound up with an overly sweet wintermelon tea. Normally I get plain oolong + boba or honey oolong as lightly sweetened as possible, but i settled on this and was horribly disappointed by the sweetness level. Not going back to that shop anytime soon, as I should've just gone to my usual spots. Lesson learned. As today is technically the first day of week 2, i kicked it off by getting my workout in first, so hopefully next update will see improvements.

Story Progression - Pt 1:

Having suffered a paralyzing defeat at the hands of the enemy, Ruby escaped as the sole survivor of her unit though gravely wounded. Her spirit was crushed. The enemy had won the day and Ruby had nowhere left to run. Blinded by panic and shame, she did not see the sinkhole in her path, and fell several feet as the earth gave way underfoot.

When she came to, Ruby took note of her injuries. She suspected a broken rib or two and some damage to her shoulder and legs. Though hearty and likely able to endure in this state an inhumanly long time or heal, Ruby was certain this was the end of the line, and saw no use in digging herself out. This was a quiet and well enough end she could hope for. She was practically interred under all the rubble. At least there was silence and some peace to be had. Unable to see the sky above, as the collapse had been choked through a narrow funnel blocking out the light, she closed her eyes and passed out.

Still in pain and now covered head-to-toe in bruises, Ruby woke to find herself still buried under. For a time she walled in her failure. She had never felt so lost before in her life. Her dreams and ambitions, crushed. The fiery passion that drove them, that she was known for, had been snuffed out. Eventually, she regained a bit of strength, and started ever so slightly shifting around trying to loosen the earth trapping her. Ever so slowly the rubble around her gave way and her movements became less restricted. It was time to dig herself out.

• Like 1

A layer of collapsed rubble slipped away as a hand broke through the surface near its base. Ruby emerged, coughing and coated in a thick layer of dust. The mountain of debris collapsed behind her, filling the void of misery she stubbornly left behind. She had no idea how much time had passed, but she could feel some of her wounds had begun to heal.

Once she had pulled herself mostly out, she stopped to catch her breath and examine her surroundings. She couldn’t see a thing as it was pitch black, but she assumed she had fallen into a cavern, potentially a vast one by the echoes roaring deep into the darkness.

Once her eyes adjusted, she noticed a faint light off in the distance. It was difficult for her to tell whether it was small or just far from her current location, but it seemed to be the only thing breaking the darkness – potentially her way out. Unable to stand, Ruby began to drag herself across the ground toward the source of light.

Approaching her destination, Ruby started to notice strange carvings of stone, intricately decorated, but clearly long abandoned by their state of ruin. She fell into a slow rhythm, pausing to catch her breath and crawling a few inches on a strained exhale. As she continued on for what seemed like an eternity, Ruby began to realize the light was not from some route to the surface, but emitting from the heart of the ruins. Surrounding it were three colossal statues of gods alien to her. The light source, energy source, called to her. She could do nothing but answer...

Week 2 & 3 Update:

Combining these, as my scheduled update time last weekend was dashed by an all out studying-for-a-calculus-test-we-weren't-ready-for crisis commenced, lol. I still have no idea what i made, but its done and over with. not going to worry about it. My fate is in the universe's hands with the less-than-graceful move to online class. Nevertheless, week 2 in a nutshell -- I managed to improve my workout goal, but fell short on my cal goal. Fiddlesticks! For whatever reason, I experienced a few bad binge episodes during this week, though I don't know why. I wasn't emotionally upset or depressed. The most I can think of is mayyyybe it stemmed from stressing about my calculus test and getting frustrated with online homework. I wound up giving up on the online hw and resumed our original homework problems from the book, as none of it was for a grade anyway. 

Week 2:

1. Calorie Goal - 3/5 💔 

2. Workout Goal - 5/5 💚

3. Takeout Goal - 4/5 💚

4. Creative Goal - 5/5 💚

This week, on week 3, I managed to hit all my goals! almost screwed up the Takeout Goal when I thoughtlessly went by mcD's for an unsweet tea and for whatever reason unbeknownst to me, I ordered a 4pc mcNuggets. Like wtf, I dont even eat at McD's normally but apparently my subconscious said GO FOR IT BRUH! oh well. backfired for me too, b/c they gave me SWEET tea, and turned out they were out of unsweet. Like why... did you lie and take my money? It must've been punishment for getting those mcNuggets, but whatever. I still wound up okay and hit my calorie goal that day somehow -- might've been b/c I didn't drink that sweet tea. I do need to note this was a week of less sleep. Stayed up way late studying Monday and Taking the test (from 9:20pm after our 7.10-9pm class until 12:30am after getting my scanner to work and going through my 3 comps rn to see which one could make a pdf lol #workfromhome #chaos). This weekend however I've been recovering... only to have my external hdd with my sims game and just the rest of my current life stop being recognized on any computer, pc or mac. 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃 it never ends lol... on the brightside... friday I was able to tune into the weareplaygrounds online fest with some really great artists, AND... I finally ordered my first cintiq. I even shed a tear and I'm sure I'll shed more once it arrives. Although that too had a bit of a setback -- I accidentally ordered twice, so charged...$1.5K....TWICE. it'll be okay... I'll fix it, just like everything else lmao. Well... my life is never boring! 🤣

Week 3:

1. Calorie Goal - 5/5 💚 

2. Workout Goal - 5/5 💚

3. Takeout Goal - 5/5 💚

4. Creative Goal - 5/5 💚

• Like 1

The source of power pulled Ruby inescapably to it. It latched onto her and penetrated her very soul. She roared in pain, feeling her entire body cracking and bending at its touch. Her mind was no exception – as she felt herself barely gripping consciousness as her memories good and bad were siphoned away. Suddenly, Ruby felt herself ripped away as the ancient source changed her physically and mentally. The crumbling stone statues looked on silently at the bloody mess before them. The screaming had waned to small whimpers and the flailing to this newly formed thing curling up on its back. It opened its eyes, and stared at the invisible cavern ceiling.

A sudden deep breath ballooned its chest cavity upward, cracking stiff bones and stretching sore muscles. The thing sat up and took in its surroundings, and shuddered as its gaze fell on the mirrors adorning the ruins. This thing Ruby had become, still female but alien, had grown in size and muscle. Her skin was light and her hair, auburn with dwarven ears protruding from them. She didn’t even recall the name Ruby, nor anything that transpired before opening her eyes. She was a clean slate. Standing proved to be awkward as if she were a newborn calf, but after a few failed attempts, the girl managed to stand. As she did, the ruins illuminated in a flood of ethereal light much like the source that caused her transformation, and the statues began to speak.

“Born anew, go forth as our champion, Tyr. Conquer the realms of man and bring peace to this world for an eternity.”

With each word, the girl felt the flood of light cascading over her body, wrapping around her and hardening into a strange suit of armor. Tyr, the name rang in her ears, stirring something inside her. Tyr, Conqueror of the Realms. This would be her new title. It only felt right.

“Tyr,” she repeated. This caused her armor to pulsate and a massive glowing blade to form in her left hand.

Tyr looked up at the statues as they spoke their last. “Go forth and conquer, for you have been given a second life, a new life, a better life. Cut down your enemies for they will be great and many. Protect those who cannot protect themselves for you are strong and capable. Bring peace to this land of misery and despair for you alone have the power to do so.”

Tyr watched as the light faded from the altar, the statues stilled, and the ruins became silent once more. She looked down to see the armor and the weapon still in hand. She sheathed the blade, and immediately the pulsating glow of her armor stopped. A look around provided nothing more to investigate. The only thing left was the glowing energy source that drew her in. As she looked upon it, she was surprised to see it changing shape into a flat spiraling disc – a portal. She hesitated to touch it. The last time caused her a great deal of pain. Whether it was a source of misfortune or not remained to be seen. Tyr took a chance in hopes the outcome would be different and found, upon touching it, that indeed it was. Before she could turn back, Tyr was pulled through the portal that pulsed and disappeared in a great flash behind her, leaving the ruins dark and lifeless for another age or more.

Week 4 & 5 Finale:

At the finish line, I figured this reboot deserves a complete character makeover, so I'll be changing that up to....yup Tyr the Conqueror (a lot to live up to there). Having struggled with finding time to finish this post, I can proudly say I finished the challenge strong. Unfortunately, I had to drop my calculus class that had been moved online due to the quarantine, but my school is apparently giving 100% refunds through May 14th, so I'm not out money as much as I am my time...though this is worse to me. Even still, relieving myself of that stress has given me some time back to focus on furthering my Java skills, and I suppose I will just use this time to study on Khan Academy, and hopefully I can find a summer calculus class that's a little longer than 5 weeks? I hate the thought of being a semester behind, but here I am... I can at least lose weight and look good while doing this lol. On the upside, by week 4 I dropped about 5 lbs and I was even weighing myself on a heavier day. Ha! This week (rest week) I'm still keeping up these weekly goals as I make them into habits, and will be tweaking them slightly for the next challenge come Sunday. One point I will make is I did have to do a makeup workout on Sunday as I was one shy of completing my weekly goal, and I was noooot about end the challenge like that! The weekly summaries are as follows:

Week 4:

1. Calorie Goal - 5/5 💚 

2. Workout Goal - 5/5 💚

3. Takeout Goal - 4/5 💚

4. Creative Goal - 5/5 💚

Week 5:

1. Calorie Goal - 5/5 💚 

2. Workout Goal - 5/5 💚

3. Takeout Goal - 3/5 💚

4. Creative Goal - 5/5 💚

Challenge final score: 90%

1. Calorie Goal - 4/5 💛          -----  80%

2. Workout Goal - 4/5 💛       -----  80%

3. Takeout Goal - 5/5 💚        -----  100%

4. Creative Goal - 5/5 💚       -----  100%

A 90 is an A in my book, so I'd say I passed this challenge. not a perfect score, but still a success, and I've already started to see results. Not dealing with class stress anymore, just means more time to dedicate to bettering myself in other ways and staying focused on the end goal. Looking forward to May 10th for round 2 going forward with my new identity in my new life. :) Thanks everyone for all the support and encouragement. Lets keep fighting and stay safe during this turbulent time ❤️ 

• Like 1