It's all a matter of timing [Manarelle]

Manarelle

Thankfully, my workplace was already pretty set up to work from home; we officially started on the 18th and it's been going pretty smoothly. Most of my hobbies are at home anyway, and are sufficiently habitual that they smoothly clicked into place. Working out was a bit of a challenge, since I have less equipment at home, but I've got a pretty good substitute routine in place so hopefully I won't lose too much headway. Right as all this was going down, I got hit with three writing/ editing jobs, so those are currently priority for this challenge. Once that's done, though, I want to shift over to making masks for medical personnel, since I have the know-how and some extra funds to help. 

Goals:

1. Finish writing job due 3/30
  2. Finish writing job due 4/5
  3. Finish rush editing job... whenever it comes in.
  4. Make & donate masks

For now, the county courthouse is still open on a limited and physical distancing basis, so the "wedding" in May is on. The state park we were gonna do a celebration pot luck lunch in, however, closed and refunded our fees, and the con we were heading to the week after rescheduled for August. On the one hand, boo, 'cause now I've got to reschedule the flights and airbnb and stuff. On the other hand, yay, 'cause I should be able to get Taboo ready before then, assuming society hasn't collapsed (knock wood). Want to balance out making cosplay progress with making masks, though, so for this challenge, I just want to get a few final touch-ups done on the greaves and vest where the glue didn't quite adhere, and get the tail sorted out now that the pants are done.

Hobbies:

1. Workout: keep it up at home. Doing well so far. 
  2. Languages: keep it up at home. Still going over lunch, just at home. 
  3. Study: Finish writing/ editing jobs.
  4. Crafting
    1. Sew masks once other jobs are done
    2. Final touch-ups on greaves and vest for Taboo, work on the tail.
  • Like 6

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

You know, if society does collapse, you can wear your Taboo outfit everyday! And people will whisper in the shadows of the legendary Taboo that roams the wildlands and flies into the night!

• Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

12 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

That is Amazing! I don't have a huge amount of extra, but would love to help out. Are you open to donations of supplies? Is there a way others could help you out with this?

Hm, hadn't really thought about it. Anything cotton or mostly cotton that's at least 6"x9" (t-shirts, button-downs, sheets, etc - lightweight fabrics are best) can be used to make masks. I'm in the MD/ DC area which is a bit far from you, but you could check on social media to see if there are sewing people near you who could use fabric donations. I'm certainly open to such if anyone in this area has extras. One of my co-workers mentioned they were going to use this time to clean their house, but by the time I found out about the masks, they'd already donated everything to local thrift stores. 

10 hours ago, Red1263 said:

You know, if society does collapse, you can wear your Taboo outfit everyday! And people will whisper in the shadows of the legendary Taboo that roams the wildlands and flies into the night!

I have so many apocalypse outfits ready to inflict confusion and encourage distance. :D

Wrote the rough draft of the paper due on the 30th last night. I'll clean it up, double-check it, and submit it tonight, so that'll be cleared out. Tomorrow night is Russian class (already online so no disruptions), then I can start the next paper Friday, hopefully. No word yet on the editing job. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Once that's done, though, I want to shift over to making masks for medical personnel, since I have the know-how and some extra funds to help. 

That's amazing! But don't think you have to reach a high number of masks in order to contribute. The people will be happy about anything!

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

For now, the county courthouse is still open on a limited and physical distancing basis, so the "wedding" in May is on.

Yay! 🎉 Best of luck! We're still very much 50-50 with our wedding on May 9th...

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

check on social media to see if there are sewing people near you

Thank you so much for the idea. There are several groups that I have reached out to. I also reached out to my local food pantry, but they are full staffed for volunteers through the middle of April. It's so great to see so many individuals coming together during this time!

• Like 2

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

12 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I have so many apocalypse outfits ready to inflict confusion and encourage distance. :D

Wrote the rough draft of the paper due on the 30th last night. I'll clean it up, double-check it, and submit it tonight, so that'll be cleared out. Tomorrow night is Russian class (already online so no disruptions), then I can start the next paper Friday, hopefully. No word yet on the editing job. 

Oh that's awesome! Wait, so does that mean that anyone who wants to join your tribe has to dress to match?

Good luck on the Editing job!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

11 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Oh that's awesome! Wait, so does that mean that anyone who wants to join your tribe has to dress to match?

Yup. Required theme: be what you wanna be. 'Cause having the occasional Peter hanging out with a bunch of strange people would probably throw off any potential aggressors in the toilet paper wastelands.

Deadpool-2-Peter.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740

Turned in first paper last night and got a message from Joann's that my order has shipped... without the cotton fabric because they're out. Which is yay 'cause people are stepping up, but means I'll have to look elsewhere for my own helping out. Thankfully I have a fair bit of scrap around from previous projects, so that'll do for starters. 

I noticed last night I was getting grumpy, and after some thought, realized my expectations have been off. The beginning of the month was pretty slow at work for me, so I expected to have a decent amount of time when working from home to clean, sketch, and generally sort things that could be done from within reach of the computer. Instead, work picked up right as we switched to work from home, and things are taking longer because I have to do them on one monitor instead of two. But I didn't change my expectations, so I was getting grumpy about my lack of progress. Time to take a step back and recalibrate. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I noticed last night I was getting grumpy, and after some thought, realized my expectations have been off. The beginning of the month was pretty slow at work for me, so I expected to have a decent amount of time when working from home to clean, sketch, and generally sort things that could be done from within reach of the computer. Instead, work picked up right as we switched to work from home, and things are taking longer because I have to do them on one monitor instead of two. But I didn't change my expectations, so I was getting grumpy about my lack of progress. Time to take a step back and recalibrate. 

Ohhh, smart observation. Hope the expectation reset helps. :) 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 3/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, raptron said:

Ohhh, smart observation. Hope the expectation reset helps. :) 

It did, actually, quite a bit. I'm ending this (work) week pretty please with how much I have accomplished. 

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ahhh your wedding.. what a mess! 
Hope it all works out.

Meh! As long as we get to claim 5/4/20 as our wedding date, we're neither of us too worried about the particulars. As a last resort, he's got a friend who's ordained to officiate, we can do a remote deal in our living room and have a neighbor take some pictures over the fence in the back yard. Being together is the important part, not the other trappings. 

That said, I did try on the dress and it (mostly) fits! The fabric is surprisingly rich and thick - I need a new petticoat because the one I have for other 50s dresses is too short and couldn't do much against the extra length and weight. I'll need to pick the top seam on the bodice apart to a) reposition the straps, and b) remove the ridiculously tiny and misplaced bra "cups" (more like acorn caps) that they added, but otherwise, I think it fits very nicely. Those two mods, a new petticoat, bolero shrug, and shoes, and I think I'm good. There was the usual hilarity in getting it on/ off, because of lats, but I managed in the end without pulling anything, so yay. Solid end to a decent week. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

That said, I did try on the dress and it (mostly) fits! The fabric is surprisingly rich and thick - I need a new petticoat because the one I have for other 50s dresses is too short and couldn't do much against the extra length and weight. I'll need to pick the top seam on the bodice apart to a) reposition the straps, and b) remove the ridiculously tiny and misplaced bra "cups" (more like acorn caps) that they added, but otherwise, I think it fits very nicely. Those two mods, a new petticoat, bolero shrug, and shoes, and I think I'm good. There was the usual hilarity in getting it on/ off, because of lats, but I managed in the end without pulling anything, so yay. Solid end to a decent week. 

I did not understand any of this, but I'm glad to see that you're staying positive throughout all this!

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

On 3/27/2020 at 10:27 PM, Manarelle said:

Meh! As long as we get to claim 5/4/20 as our wedding date, we're neither of us too worried about the particulars. As a last resort, he's got a friend who's ordained to officiate, we can do a remote deal in our living room and have a neighbor take some pictures over the fence in the back yard. Being together is the important part, not the other trappings. 

Might be one of the more romantic things I’ve heard lately :) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Might be one of the more romantic things I’ve heard lately :) 

Aw, thanks. We don't do a lot of the trappings of a "normal" relationship, but I think we've got a good one going. :)

On 3/28/2020 at 12:07 AM, Red1263 said:

I did not understand any of this, but I'm glad to see that you're staying positive throughout all this!

Hahahaha. Let's see... "Dress good, needs help, I can do it." :) Much of my family/ friends are going nuts with the physical distancing; as a practiced introvert, this is pretty much ideal for me - only difference is groceries delivered, and workouts at home. 

So today did not turn out as planned. I got a decent amount of work on the 2nd paper done on Saturday, and decided to do crafting only today. Got some crafting done, but also baked an apple crisp (reduced sugar) and cleaned the floors... which was a mistake. All the work I put into healing my lower back was (apparently) thrown out in favor of vacuuming the way I always have - with horrible posture. So tonight is going to be stretches and gentle back exercises instead of cardio. It sucks, but if I don't stop now, it'll be a couple weeks before it's healed again and I REALLY don't want to do that. Hey look, I guess that means I'm learning something, yeeeeeey. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Hahahaha. Let's see... "Dress good, needs help, I can do it." :) Much of my family/ friends are going nuts with the physical distancing; as a practiced introvert, this is pretty much ideal for me - only difference is groceries delivered, and workouts at home.

Thanks for the Cliff notes ^_^

• Haha 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Aw, those modifications to your plans still sound lovely for a wedding in strange times. :) 

• Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

The back does feel better, thank you; it only took a day or so to get better, I think because I stopped as soon as it started hurting. I got the second paper's rough draft written last night. Today will be proofreading it and hopefully turning it in. I also FINALLY got all the materials for masks and boiled them last night, so I should be able to start on that today. The gentleman and a coworker requested a few for themselves, as they have to physically go to work and are concerned about being around others who aren't taking things seriously. Still no word on the rush editing job, but I'm okay with that. 

Food experiment:

Spoiler

Randomly, something required me to weigh myself last week, and the result was a bit higher than I expected. Not lots, but enough that I started thinking a bit more seriously about a cut I'd already been debating. Since I can't lift as heavy as usual with what I have at home and I have more food availability in case things go haywire, I figured now would be a good time to try it, particularly the idea of intermittent fasting. I've been hitting the full point a little earlier in breakfasts lately, so figured I could start by delaying breakfast.

Typical food schedule:

• Breakfast upon arising - 3 eggs, homemade what bread toast w/ peanut butter, short glass of almond milk.
  • Mid-morning snack - used to be half a protein bagel, but they stopped carrying them, so now 1 minibagel w/ peanut butter
  • Lunch - some sort of baked chicken, half an apple, either rice or a puffed rice stick
  • Mid-afternoon snack - protein bar
  • Dinner - varies widely, generally based on meat and fruit with some grains
  • Post-workout/ dessert - whole wheat crackers & cheese, grapes, nuts, 1 twizzler (there are reasons!)

While that sounds like a lot, they're all small meals, below my TDEE and within macros. Even when I was little, I'd eat lots of small meals, although at the time I didn't know the difference between carbs and protein. I've also been through some serious times of food insecurity, so I get a bit on edge when I don't know where or when the next meal will be (hence my reluctance to mess with food intake while working AT WORK, because if I don't have enough food and get hungry, my options at work are pretty unhealthy). That said, I have been adding things (chocolate) here and there to the snacks, so I felt the weight gain was probably right, despite my measurements not changing. 

I already have a tendency to eat breakfast late/ skip it entirely on the weekends, because I sleep in a bit and then get caught up in doing things and before I know it, it's late morning and my stomach is highly displeased with me. But hey, I *can* do it, so why not try it on weekdays, too? First morning was a little rough, so I had 3 triscuits for breakfast and felt ok once I had a proper breakfast at mid-morning time. The second day was ok with the same setup, but I woke up in the middle of the night, with hunger cramps. That used to happen a lot til I nailed down the post-workout/ dessert meal which gets me through the night. If you've never been woken up by hunger cramps, well.... lucky you. Hope you never do. Had some nuts and went back to sleep. 

Third and fourth days were kind of cranky, but I chalked it up to the continued waking up at night hungry, lack of sunlight for a week or so, and general world stress. The fourth night, I managed to go back to sleep without eating anything and thought that was probably a good progress sign, but the 5th morning was just bad. Cranky, hungry, massively headachy, and then something happened at work that - while it would have been rather annoying even at the best of times - probably didn't quite deserve the profanity I said to my phone after I hung up with the person. (Another reason I wanted to do this at while working home; my coworkers don't deserve to hear me when I'm hungry). I reigned myself in, realized my emotions were a wreck, and went downstairs to feed myself. I took off restrictions on food and just ate filling comfort food (no junk, but definitely wacky macros) for the rest of the day with no calorie consideration. The emotions stabilized after an hour, the headache left around 7pm, and I decided to find a better way to do a cut. 

Woke up this morning hungry but not cranky. Had 2 eggs for breakfast instead of 3, and felt legit full, so we'll see if that's a better way to reduce calories without all the... negative side effects. 

Otherwise, things are going pretty well. In addition to the above, yesterday was a Murphy's Law day; today seems to be going much better, thank goodness. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Food experiment:

Hide contents

I reigned myself in, realized my emotions were a wreck, and went downstairs to feed myself. I took off restrictions on food and just ate filling comfort food (no junk, but definitely wacky macros) for the rest of the day with no calorie consideration. The emotions stabilized after an hour, the headache left around 7pm, and I decided to find a better way to do a cut. 

Woke up this morning hungry but not cranky. Had 2 eggs for breakfast instead of 3, and felt legit full, so we'll see if that's a better way to reduce calories without all the... negative side effects. 

Thoughts on 5:2? I've found that it's pretty easy for myself; some days I'm just not that hungry to start with, so I make them into fast days. And then on days when I'm hungry-hungry-hippo I worry less. As long as you manage 2 non-concurrent days/week with 1,000-1,200kcal, that's a pretty reasonable deficit without cravings/contact low energy.

It's also possible that you've just gained some muscle and/or water weight, and not actually changed much.

• Like 2

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

11 hours ago, Defining said:

Thoughts on 5:2? I've found that it's pretty easy for myself; some days I'm just not that hungry to start with, so I make them into fast days. And then on days when I'm hungry-hungry-hippo I worry less. As long as you manage 2 non-concurrent days/week with 1,000-1,200kcal, that's a pretty reasonable deficit without cravings/contact low energy.

It's also possible that you've just gained some muscle and/or water weight, and not actually changed much.

Looking at measurements/ photos, there's definitely some muscle gain, but there's still a part of me that's interested in a (minor) cut. 

5:2 sounds interesting, but I won't lie, just looking at those numbers makes me concerned. My TDEE for maintenance is 2,600 kcal, and I usually sit around 2,400-2,600 when I'm not being a jerk with the extra chocolate. Cutting that to less than half is hella intimidating, especially after the experience this week just with delaying breakfast. For now, I've lowered each meal just a little bit with no horrible effects (knock on wood, I'm only on day 2 of doing that). I'll take a look at the 5:2 once my memories of this week have faded a bit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Cutting that to less than half is hella intimidating, especially after the experience this week just with delaying breakfast. For now, I've lowered each meal just a little bit with no horrible effects (knock on wood, I'm only on day 2 of doing that). I'll take a look at the 5:2 once my memories of this week have faded a bit. 

It's also totally fair that it may not be the right fit for you! I fast/forget meals very easily, with little ill-effect; this is where the individual response/preference really comes into importance. Another option could be something like the MATADOR protocol, where you eat in deficit for two weeks, at maintenance for two weeks, and then just keep alternating back and forth.

Also, if you normally eat 2,400-2,600, you could even just do ONE day a week at 1,200kcal rather than two, or two days at 1,800kcal. That would still result in some very slow fat loss (like, 0.25/lb at most), without a HUGE impact on your day-to-day life? For reference, my TDEE is also closer to 1,800-2,000kcal WITH exercising, so the scaled-up numbers would make more sense in a proportional sense.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Week 1: 

1. Finish writing job due 3/30 - Done
  2. Finish writing job due 4/5 - Done
  3. Finish rush editing job... whenever it comes in. - Still no word, so I'm going to take this off my conscious list until it comes in. 
  4. Make & donate masks - Ongoing.

So it turns out I have lots of family who is either immunocompromised or works in/ runs "essential businesses." I posted a picture of the first masks I made on facebook and got several requests right off the bat. Shipped the first two out this morning, but I'm out of both elastic and bias tape. I found one place that can guarantee shipping of elastic before next month, but I'm just going to have to make my own bias tape (whee, exciting, yay, NOT). However, I am happy that I can help people out, and there's not really a deadline rush on these, so I can just stolidly march through those. 

sKghyGl.jpg X6OeKzd.jpg

Since my list of challenge things is sort of exhausted, I'm going to get back to my regular 4 hobbies to do list, with a caveat. I'm doing pretty ok with the isolation, but self-care - whether in the form of reading, cosplay work, or gaming - is priority, as long as the languages, workouts, and mask making continues. Can't pour from an empty cup. 

Extra goals:

1. Mod wedding dress
  2. Add flowers to "veil"
  3. Shoes???
  4. Taboo stuff (new date is tentatively August)
  5. Deal with changing flight/ car rental to new date at the end of April.
  6. Keep making masks as needed.
  • Like 6
  • That's Metal 1