WolfDreamer Returns to Sparta

This is a modification of a challenge I rolled out a few years ago when I was planning to run a Spartan race. If you've been with me for a few years, you know why that didn't work out.

The-Ancient-Spartans-Had-a-Murderous-Sec

I have been really pleased with the content that Spartan has been rolling out since start of many of the lockdowns for COVID-19 prevention. I also have a copy of The Spartan Way by Joe De Sena arriving Monday and have been wanting to read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. I also picked up some "equipment" for at-home training: a log, a block of concrete, a bag of sand, some stones, and a bucket of gravel. So I might as well put them to good use, right?

My inspiration will be the soldiers of Sparta who faced adversity with courage and fervor. In times of trial, they relied heavily on their wit, their discipline and physical prowess, and their strong heart.

For this challenge, I will be training like a soldier, thinking like a soldier, eating like a soldier, and preparing my heart like a soldier.

giphy.gif

Train Like a Soldier:

No excuses: train no matter how you feel (unless injured), no matter what the weather: too hot, rainy, cold, it doesn't matter, just train. Don't give up until the required training is complete. Give it your all. ("Come back with your shield or on it.") Seek adversity and challenges and obstacles: go off trail, climb the wall instead of go around it, run the hill instead of go around it, wake up early, sleep on the floor, take cold showers, walk barefoot, fast for 24 hours, etc.

Refer to the Spartan.com Become Unbreakable page for daily workouts and training resources.

Daily: Cold shower, WHM breathing or box breathing, morning movements/stretches, barefoot/earthing, at least 30 burpees

Mon: Sprints; interval training

Tues: Strength, WOD, HIIT, bodyweight training, stretching

Wed: Sprints; interval training

Thurs: Rest (yoga, meditation, brain training)

Fri: Strength, WOD, HIIT, bodyweight training, stretching

Sat: Endurance -- distance/trail run

Sun: Rest (yoga, meditation, brain training)

giphy.gif

Eat Like a Soldier:

Intermittent fasting (no food from 7pm to 11am)

Modern Hero Mealplan

giphy.gif

Think Like a Soldier:

Learn something new and useful everyday.

Reading List:

The Spartan Way by Joe De Sena

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

Thucydides, esp. his history of the Peloponnesian War

Stoic philosophy:  Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and The Golden Sayings of Epictetus

any other books/articles about Spartans or similar warrior cultures

Listen to at least one health/fitness/motivation podcast episode/week

giphy.gif

Prepare Your Heart Like a Soldier:

Daily Scripture reading/devotional

Daily prayer/meditation

Watch at least one motivational video/day

Spend quality time with wife and daughters

Call accountability partner daily

Call mother daily

• Like 7

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Elevates

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Following. Of course. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

2 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Following. Of course. 

And you are, of course, always welcome.

14 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following also as well.

Aroo! And don't worry. There will still be bullet points.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

9 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

(Which I seem to be borrowing.)

I'm a bad influence. 😈🤣

You're always welcome, my dear. The cost of admission is cute pics and stories of the little one. 😁

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

13 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

Steven Pressfield is AMAZING. If you like Gates of Fire, you can also try Tides of War (it's not quite as clear-cut and adventuresome, but the sense of being *there* in Athens is SO strong). Last of the Amazons is excellent too.

Here for Lacedaemonian adventures!

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 ]

[ Current: Late is Better than Never ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Some motivation before we begin Week 1:

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I want to share something with you, and if you've followed me for a while you know why this is a big deal.

I called and spoke to my father yesterday for the first time in four months. We haven't been close for a few years, but with everything that's going on I wanted to know how he was doing in the midst of this chaos. He said, "Doing alright, son. I'm glad you called."

I thought it would be hard to talk to him, but he asked about my life, about my career & school, about my wife & daughters, & asked how I was doing. I assured him we were doing well. He asked me to call again sometime, without saying that it had to be soon but just sometime.

When we hung up, I did almost cry, feeling a mix of nostalgia at the sound of his voice, the pain of past hurts & trauma, & overwhelming relief. I also felt... fulfilled, like that was exactly what I needed in that moment... to talk to my dad. I was reminded that I'm not angry with him anymore, that it is absurd to hold onto anger for his past sins.

Instead, I love him because he's my father, & part of who I am is because of him, & because there were good days that I remember fondly; hearing his voice & his laughter reminded me of that, as well. I am so grateful for that phone call. I will be calling him again sometime.

• Like 8

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I’m really happy for you, my friend. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I couldn’t sleep last night so I read the forum for awhile. I watched your inspiration video, which let me to others, which led me to exercise videos, which led to bodyjam and Caleb Marshall. Actually did one video (at one am). I was not alone. Several other people were having trouble sleeping (virus stress) and doing exercise videos at one am. :) 

Thanks for the motivation.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I’m really happy for you, my friend. 

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

My heart sings for your contentment! I'm happy that you had this conversation and that it went as well as it did. (giant hugs)

I appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Emma said:

And yay for the talk with your dad.

It was really great. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So glad the talk with your dad went well.

It did go well. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Emma said:

I couldn’t sleep last night so I read the forum for awhile. I watched your inspiration video, which let me to others, which led me to exercise videos, which led to bodyjam and Caleb Marshall. Actually did one video (at one am). I was not alone. Several other people were having trouble sleeping (virus stress) and doing exercise videos at one am. :) 

Thanks for the motivation.

I'm so glad it motivated you. That's not a bad Youtube rabbit hole to go down. I have followed it more than a few times, just as long as it motivates you to get up off the couch and get moving!

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Firstly, that Phoenix Spartan gif is epic and I am thankful that you shared it.

Secondly, have you found that by doing the cold showers that winter doesn't hit you as hard as usual? I'm a stubborn person and I haven't owned or used a winter coat in several years instead using hoodies and an ultra thin down vest on those -40 days. And does it make summer temperatures easier or harder to bear at all for you? I'm debating on trying it, since my shower at home likes to pretend it is in fact Icy Hot and not a shower. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Leigh said:

Secondly, have you found that by doing the cold showers that winter doesn't hit you as hard as usual? I'm a stubborn person and I haven't owned or used a winter coat in several years instead using hoodies and an ultra thin down vest on those -40 days. And does it make summer temperatures easier or harder to bear at all for you? I'm debating on trying it, since my shower at home likes to pretend it is in fact Icy Hot and not a shower. 

I've actually found that cold showers make a lot of things possible. It serves as an energy boost in the morning, improves my overall mood, and yes it does make cold more bearable, especially cold and wet. I am more resilient to cold rain and snow, especially. And I also don't mind hot weather, either, but I'm not sure how cold showers impact that, unless it's just the development of mental toughness. That trickles into a lot of things, though. I'm less likely to give up during a tough workout, to give into temptation, because I'm building toughness through other practices, as well, not just cold showers. 

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Going to jumpstart this challenge tomorrow morning. I know the challenge officially starts today, and I promise I'm not trying to be defiant, but my workout plan begins tomorrow, so...

Posting this for myself for the morning.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 3/30/2020 at 8:08 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yessssssss! Enjoy building your own workout montage! I’m excited for you!

Thank you!

Week 1, Monday:

giphy.gif

Train Like a Soldier:

• rough night with our youngest daughter, so I "overslept" to 0600
  • practiced box breathing
  • barefoot and shirtless while taking the dogs outside
  • worked through some stretches and movements
  • completed 30 burpees: 10 this morning, 10 this afternoon, 10 this evening
  • 3 rounds of 100 yard sprints, beginning at 80% effort then stepping it up to full effort, 1 minute rest between rounds
  • completed the Darebee Daily Dare for the PVP Challenge

ancient-greek-food.jpg

Eat Like a Soldier:

• two egg omelet w/ spinach, sausage, cheddar cheese, guacamole, salsa, side of oatmeal
  • two carnitas street tacos topped with salsa
  • shrimp scampi with a side of Brussels sprouts
  • regrets: hot fudge sundae after 8 pm

MeditationsMarcusAurelius1811.jpg

Think Like a Soldier:

• listened to a podcast episode of Mind Pump about the 7 most common male fitness myths.
  • read a few pages of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations
  • read a chapter of The Spartan Way

warrior-take-a-knee-dpc.jpg

• knelt and prayed The Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • read Habakkuk Chapter 3 and was struck by verses 17-19; I'll put them in a spoiler below if you want to read them, as well. I have been reading the NASB translation, which is a more difficult translation but is also considered the most accurate translation. I wouldn't refer to it as the "best" translation, especially for casual Bible readers who need an "easier" translation, but I am drawn to its nearly accurate attempt to translate the original texts word for word. 
Spoiler

Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the Lord,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength,
And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet,
And makes me walk on my high places.

• rested on my bed in silent meditation for 15 minutes; this was not easy considering my wife and daughters are home, but I think they assumed I was napping, so they left me alone.
  • buzzed my hair off yesterday; this is something I used to do once every few years when my psoriasis would get bad so I could let my scalp heal (not the case this time, I just really wanted to get it done because my hair was becoming unruly).
  • sat in the living room with my wife and daughters and watched my youngest daughter's favorite show: Free Rein; I also spent some time playing outside with them, and we did some exercises together (jumping up and down, picking up and setting down some stones, and riding bikes)
  • spoke with my buddy Rick via Messenger about our workouts for the day; he is hoping to visit tomorrow so we can do some strength training together
  • spoke with my mother briefly; she works at a Dairy Queen, so she has been working, which is good because she is the main source of income in their household (other than stepfather's and uncle's disability/social security).
  • Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Tuesday:

giphy.gif

Train Like a Soldier:

• another rough night; woke up with something wrong with my stomach (likely an adjustment from eating more food within a smaller window)
  • practiced 4-4-8 Kumbhaka breathing
  • worked through some stretches and movements
  • completed 30 burpees: 10 in the morning, 10 in the afternoon, 10 in the evening
  • strength workout:
    • log lifts: "Zercher" squats x 15, shoulder carry to overhead press, overhead press x15
    • 50 lb. sandbag squat, clean, and press x 15
    • 10 burpees
    • "wring the towel" stretches x 10 (each arm)
    • forward lunges x 10 (each leg)
  • completed the Darebee Daily Dare for the PVP Challenge

Eat Like a Soldier:

• two Kodiak buttermilk power cakes (two eggs added), topped with maple syrup, almond butter, and sliced banana
  • homemade fudge (thanks to my wife)
  • two all beef franks topped with chili, shredded cheddar cheese, ketchup, and mustard

Think Like a Soldier:

• listened to a podcast episode of The Daily Stoic
  • read a few pages of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations
  • read a chapter of The Spartan Way

• knelt and prayed The Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • read a devotional about our inheritance with God through Jesus and how it is freely given, not earned.
  • rested on my bed in silent meditation for 15 minutes after my Kumbhaka breathing
  • sat in the living room with my wife and daughters and watched some TV shows; spent time outside with them doing exercises for PE
  • spoke with my buddy Rick via Messenger about our workouts for the day; he went for a run, but he hopes to strength train with me Friday
  • stopped by Dairy Queen to visit my mother; she is doing fine, as is my uncle and stepfather
  • Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Wednesday:

sparta6.jpg

Train Like a Soldier:

• woke up at 0430
  • worked through some movements and stretches
  • practiced box breathing
  • completed a 45-minute strength workout with my friend Nick using my "equipment." We alternated between the following exercises:
    • Log: shoulder press, chest press, curls, shoulder carry, rows
    • 7 lb. stones: curls, flys, later raises
    • 50 lb. sandbag: squat & press, clean & press, chest press, shoulder press
    • 60 lb. sandbag: squats, shoulder carry across balance beam
    • sledgehammer: swing L/R, "woodchoppers" L/R
    • beam: step-ups, jump-ups, split quats
  • completed 30 burpees (10x morning, 10x afternoon, 10x evening)

Eat Like a Soldier:

• 2 scrambled eggs with spinach, diced onion, salsa, and guacamole with two pork sausage patties on the side
  • two pieces of fudge
  • chicken Power Menu bowl from Taco Bell (black beans, lettuce, rice, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, grilled chicken)
  • spaghetti with fresh mozzarella cheese  

Think Like a Soldier:

• read a few more pages of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
  • listened to an episode of The Daily Stoic podcast, as well as an episode of The Great Man podcast

• said The Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • listened to the daily prayer on the Pray As You Go app
  • sat in silent meditation after listening to the prayer
  • watched this video:
  • spent a bunch of time with my daughters and wife, helping my girls get their schoolwork finished; we also danced for PE
  • texted my friend Rick about my workout
  • stopped by DQ to see my mother; she made me a cotton candy flavored dipped ice cream cone
  • Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Thursday & Friday:

acfeeffaa5b6ded734bb6c6d958d4278.jpg

Train Like a Soldier:

• woke up at 0430
  • worked through some movements and stretches
  • practiced box breathing Thursday and WHM breathing Friday morning
  • Thursday I rested, with some light movements (walked around the neighborhood, carried trash to the dumpster); Friday I ran some sprints in a parking lot
  • completed 30 burpees both days (10x morning, 10x afternoon, 10x evening)

Eat Like a Soldier:

(Note: this is two days worth of food)

• "Bulletproof" coffee
  • batter dipped fish, hush puppies, coleslaw, hummus, green olives, pita chips
  • scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, bacon
  • whey protein shake w/ one raw egg, bacon
  • grilled chicken cool wrap from Chick-fil-A, kale crunch side salad
  • Orgain organic protein shake w/ two raw eggs
  • boneless turkey breast cooked in the Instant pot, mashed potatoes

Think Like a Soldier:

• read a few more pages of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
  • read a few pages of The Spartan Way
  • listened to an episode of The Daily Stoic podcast, as well as an episode of the Uncivilized podcast with Traver Boehm
  • completed an assignment for one of my graduate classes; I don't think I did it correctly, but at this point I think our instructors are impressed to receive any kind of work

• said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • listened to a devotional
  • took a "pause" using John Eldredge's new app
  • watched a couple of motivational videos on Youtube, including this one:
  • spent plenty of time with my wife and daughters, including a road trip; the girls and I stayed in the van, but my wife had to pick up some groceries from Sam's Club
  • called my mother and talked to her; she's doing well, although my stepfather and uncle are being stubborn and not staying home
  • messaged my buddy Rick 
  • Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I love the theme and the way you have incorporated your habits around it. 

What do you think of Meditations? It has been on my to-read list for awhile. 

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard