KB Girl looks on the bright side

5 minutes ago, zenLara said:

We have spent some tough months dealing with her comments. It doesn't make it easier that she is a nurse (nothing maternity related) so she thinks she knows better that anyone.

Wow, she sounds lovely. 😛

If she continues to make those types of comments about the name after the baby has been born, I suggest informing her that grandmothers who are mean to their grandchildren don't need to actually be anywhere near their grandchildren, and then immediately enforce that rule until she turns back into a person who is not a jerk. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2
20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

My mom cooked and brought dinner over. (Shes in a quarantine bubble with us) and she cooks for comfort so I’m going to get very fat.

Hahahaha my dad has now dropped off food from my mom twice. She's stress-cooking too. I kind of wish I had a way to get that food all the time, but I guess then I'd have the same worry about getting fat...................

You're doing amazing considering you just had a baby! I hope you're seriously proud of yourself.

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Hahaha awesome. Tiny deadlifts?

Tempting! :)

I picked up my 3yo from the floor today, approximately 18kg, and that did not feel quite right.. so I'll behave and try to re-establish some mind muscle connection first, hehe. 

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Aw, the family picture is so sweet. What do yo mean your mom is in a quarranitne bubble with you? Does she live with you or is it figured some other way?

Just that we are the only people she sees and she's the only one we see. She lives close by, 15 minutes by bike. 

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Found you!!! I have zero idea what typical recovery from giving birth looks, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're doing awesome!

❤️ love love love that you're looking out for your gym community - it sounds like you and Jaap have really found a calling, not just a career, and that's awesome!

I'm a little jealous that you've got a stress cooker in your quarantine bubble! One of my good friends is stress baking, but sadly we're part of a very large friend group and don't live super close by, so her quarantine circle doesn't overlap with mine. I did find the supplies for 7-layer bars and chocolate chip cookies in my pantry, though, so some baking will be happening soon!

Thanks! I am really quite lucky, both with the recovery and that calling sounds about right :)

I hope you'll enjoy the cookies and maybe that mug cake thing! 

3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Congrats with your daughter ❤️ Welkom Sophie! The accessorising (others!) with  clothing pins sounds familiar 😛 

Now I'm trying hard not to get the REM song stuck in my head too. I was very tempted to click the link but I resist! :D 

Thank you :)  and probably a very wise move, it's still stuck in my head. 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Dance parties are scientifically proven to reduce stress and anxiety. And they're awesome fun.

I just can't get over how quickly you're throwing yourself into goals and life after giving birth a week ago!

I wouldn't normally.. just live a bit day by day you know? 

But I've got to do something to prevent falling into a big well of sadness. It's working somewhat, now I just have moments of big sad and moments of realising how enormously huge my privilege is. 

2 hours ago, starsapart said:

Hahahaha my dad has now dropped off food from my mom twice. She's stress-cooking too. I kind of wish I had a way to get that food all the time, but I guess then I'd have the same worry about getting fat...................

You're doing amazing considering you just had a baby! I hope you're seriously proud of yourself.

We'll get fat together! 

Don't worry, I'm also largely not doing much besides laying in bed and sitting on a chair with one or two children attached to me. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Wow, she sounds lovely. 😛

If she continues to make those types of comments about the name after the baby has been born, I suggest informing her that grandmothers who are mean to their grandchildren don't need to actually be anywhere near their grandchildren, and then immediately enforce that rule until she turns back into a person who is not a jerk. 

I think she just got overwhelmed with worry, because she never acted like that before.

Anyway, after our last conversation on the phone, I decided I'm not talking to her again in a while. She just piles worries on top of worries, very unhealthy. I guess (hope!) when the baby is born she will be back to being herself.

• Like 1

Day 7. (Decided to go with Sophie’s birthday as day zero and not day one.)

We had a busy night, so I didn’t sleep much. I’m basically battling milk overproduction, which is quite a luxurious problem to have, but a problem none the less. It will be fine.

I eventually managed to shower and I also cooked dinner. So I decided that I won the day. 

Today I also put on underwear without sitting down. That’s a big milestone. And I spend a couple minutes checking in with my pelvic and abdominal muscles, which didn’t seem too bad. 

Story time;

One of my favourite things to do with Emma is grocery shopping. Has been from when she was just days old. 
It’s only a 5-15 minute walk (depending on how pregnant or wether emma walked on her own or not) and that walk is right through the park, so very lovely.
When she was tiny as Sophie is now, I’d put her in the wrap and it was just a nice thing to do while she slept (Emma never slept unless she was in that thing). As she started walking I’d give her little assignments like grab this or that. She’s always been the most well behaved little monster, except that she would eat a bell pepper or apple if I wasn’t looking. These days she writes pretend grocery lists, loves asking the employees for directions and fiercely negotiates with me about what we’re going to eat. 
Today she was sad because Jaap went for a grocery run and she wasn’t allowed to come. I hope that we will soon get to go with Sophie. 
I’ll bring the stroller like I sometimes would with Emma and have a little private laugh as people would watch me, with big eyes, throw groceries in there.

• Like 7

That's a cute story ❤️ When starlet was tiny, she also only slept in the wrap attached to me, especially in the afternoons (we could sometimes get a morning crib nap, though). She also loves the grocery store, and I'm sure she misses going. Someday, little humans... someday. 😔

Great job getting dinner made, showering, and getting those undies on! As expected, you're amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 8 (Saturday) I spend at my mothers house with both my daughters. It was Sophie’s first trip by car. It’s crazy how much stuff you need to bring for a new born. I forgot clean clothes so ofcourse she blew out of her diaper. She ended up wearing 32 year old clothes that had been my first outfit. 

We went for a walk, the weather was beautiful. My left hip bothered me which I couldn’t get to go away by changing posture or tension.. I should have turned back but it was too nice out. 

I checked in with a couple more people, did some technique checks and talked someone through a nutrition crisis ;) 

Day 9 (Sunday) Sophie had her first shower. She loved it. 

Jaap took his daughters for a long walk so I could have a video chat with one of my clients. I also wrote 3 training programs and filmed some demo’s for those. So I ended up doing some deadlifts (regular and single leg) with my 10kg Kettlebell as well as some rows. It went well.

After that I figured we deserved to not cook so we ordered sushi. Emma only eats the rice and fish and will pick out all the nori. I’m cool with that. I think it’s awesome she likes sushi at all. 

We walked the dog together (all four of us) after dinner. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

She ended up wearing 32 year old clothes that had been my first outfit. 

Sweet :) 

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

So I ended up doing some deadlifts (regular and single leg) with my 10kg Kettlebell as well as some rows. It went well.

Yesss!

• That's Metal 1
On 3/27/2020 at 10:08 PM, KB Girl said:

I wouldn't normally.. just live a bit day by day you know? 

But I've got to do something to prevent falling into a big well of sadness. It's working somewhat, now I just have moments of big sad and moments of realising how enormously huge my privilege is. 

Ah I see, we're both taking a similar approach of positive distraction. ;) 

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

She ended up wearing 32 year old clothes that had been my first outfit.

Agree with @Harriet, this is adorable.

Jaap took his daughters for a long walk so I could have a video chat with one of my clients. I also wrote 3 training programs and filmed some demo’s for those. So I ended up doing some deadlifts (regular and single leg) with my 10kg Kettlebell as well as some rows. It went well.

This is AWESOME, good work!

After that I figured we deserved to not cook so we ordered sushi.

Well, now I want sushi...............

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ah I see, we're both taking a similar approach of positive distraction. ;) 

Indeed.. I was taught that being able to deal with 'negative' emotions you have to sort of exercise your bounce back emotions, so you pick the positive emotions that are easiest for you to feel and then you make sure you feel a bunch of that- which trains your ability to bounce back from when shit hits you in the face. Gratefulness works best for me. 

4 hours ago, starsapart said:

This is AWESOME, good work!

Well, now I want sushi...............

Thank you! you should totally come get some! 

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

Technically, making sushi doesn't actually require you to cook... ;) 

Is it only cooking when you heat something up? would you say 'preparing food' if you're making sushi?

• Like 1

Day 10 (Monday)

I realised that I hadn't spend 1on1 time with Emma yesterday, so that was the first priority today. We made pancakes for breakfast, played a board game and read some books. It was nice. 

In the afternoon Emma went to my moms and we took Sophie to the gym. Not exactly how I had imagined her first time at the gym.. We recorded some more video for specific questions asked by people and contacted a bunch more people.. I am humbled and grateful to be able to say that so far 65 out of 72 of our members want to keep their membership running as usual. Most pfffssht at me "do you even have to ask?"... well I thought I should ask, it seemed only decent. The other 7 I haven't managed to get a hold of yet. This definitely helps the financial situation, but it's still only about half our revenue... we're missing out on team training, both sport clubs and businesses, and that's a big chunk. But if this doesn't last into June then we'll be alright.

My left hip didn't bother me during the walk to the gym and only a little bit on the way back. My belly hurts quite a bit now and then, but it's probably just intestines still trying to find their rightful place.. and maybe a bit of abs doms? 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Technically, making sushi doesn't actually require you to cook... ;) 

28 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Is it only cooking when you heat something up? would you say 'preparing food' if you're making sushi?

If we're going to be really, really technical, it's sushi only if it's served on sushi rice, and that does require actual legitimate cooking. Sooooooooo.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I would probably say "making sushi". 😛 

I consider the term "cooking" to refer to food preparation that involves applying heat in a way that changes the appearance and/or texture of said food. I don't use "cook" to describe the process of making a sandwich or a salad either.

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I am humbled and grateful to be able to say that so far 65 out of 72 of our members want to keep their membership running as usual.

Nice. They must feel you're doing a good job. 

... Is it our altruistic duty to keep buying things during this shelter in place? Just a thought...

Day 11

While I did do the kettlebell programs for this week.. and I did check in with some people and I did vacuum and I did do some bw squats and hip re/pre-hab and I did spent one on one time with Emma... it was a terrible day.

i hadn’t slept much and at some point that reduces me to a teary mess.. so I was stress crying over the gym/financial stress  situation the first half of the day and this evening my sister was taken to the hospital because of mastitis that didn’t resolve with simple anti biotics and she was running a 42 degree fever which is bad. So my mom broke our isolation bubble to take care of my nephew while my sister is in the hospital...

And now I’m worried for my sister and I’m worried for my mom and I’m so sad that I can’t visit my sister and I’m so sad that now we shouldn’t see my mom anymore and I’m sad because I have to try to explain that to my 3yo and I’m sad because I just want my mom. 

And as I was crying during dinner Emma said don’t worry mom your sister will be alright tomorrow and then we’ll call her and tell her you miss her. She’s very precious. And so is Sophie.

And I’m lucky to be so close to my family and to have a mom I want around so badly and to usually have her around.. 

And tomorrow I’ll wake up and feel like I can sort of handle all this again.. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Sorry you had such a bad day. These are stressful times, and you're still recovering from labor. I'm sure your level of fatigue is contributing a lot to your anxiety, specially if you didn't sleep well.

I hope your sister gets better soon, I'm sure they will take good care of her at the hospital.

And your Emma is such a lovely little nugget.

Hasn't your government organised financial help for small businesses? :(

• Like 1

This all sounds so hard. I'm so sorry. Doing it on limited sleep with a newborn is life on nightmare mode for sure (even without a pandemic, I was breaking down sobbing regularly when starlet was really little because the sleep deprivation had completely thrown my emotional control out the window).

df1ea35943edd41.gif

Spoiler

My sister-in-law, whom I adore, was in the hospital with a fever of 41C several days ago and it was so scary. And I've cried at least 4 times so far about missing my mom since this all started. I feel you so hard. Solidarity.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

And I’m lucky to be so close to my family and to have a mom I want around so badly and to usually have her around.. 

And tomorrow I’ll wake up and feel like I can sort of handle all this again.. 

So sorry that things are hard and worrying. These two points are optimistic, though. It's nice you are close to your mum and that you can usually see her often. And hopefully all this annoying isolating will keep her and you and everyone safe. I hope your sister enjoys a rapid recovery.