No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm Turns 10, Chases Dem Quarantine Quads

Week 1.2

5/3/1 Deload Bench Day

• Bench - 3x5@125
  • OHP - 3x8@65
  • Front Squat - 3x10@135

Daily routine was also done. Got up to 40 seconds on ring top holds. I'll probably start trying to so something else than just hold myself pretty soon. Maybe work on tuck position next.

Stretched throughout the day, but not is a structured way. I tried to take a break every couple hours but things got in the way.

Ended up eating like half my biscotti so far. Those things can't be within my sight line because they just end up in my mouth somehow. I also started 2 soughdough starters since why not. When they're ready I'll probably make some pizza dough and freeze individual pieces so I can make personal pizzas next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, raptron said:

WAS THIS CLOSE TO MAKING BISCOTTI TOO.

WE COULD HAVE BEEN BISCOTTI BAKING BUDDIES! Alas, two ships passing in the night and all that.

7 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Hah.  I've always blamed my chonk butt and hips for any muscle up dreams being dashed. :D

We all have our muscle up limitations XD

3 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Ended up eating like half my biscotti so far. Those things can't be within my sight line because they just end up in my mouth somehow. 

Think of it as a brief unintentional bulking phase?

• Like 1

Oof what a week. Things started out well enough, but then by Wednesday afternoon motivation was puttering out and existential dread was starting to set in. On Monday my area extended our shelter in place order until May 3rd.

I did get my lifts in, 3x5 on all of them. Did an extra 3x5 session of squats at 225 for a heavy session this week. Got in some 3x10 at 135 for a hypertrophy set.

The daily routine I had set up for myself to keep me sane didn't work well the last half of the week. I skipped doing it on Wednesday and Friday.

Worked a bit on handstands when I thought about them. Spent some time stretching for flexibility, but it was still unstructured. I did find some good resources thanks to the assassins so for now I am just collecting underpants.

My work schedule is weird right now. Without having an office to go into for the daily 9-5, I've found that I will wake up at 6am and start working at 630am until about 11, then nap and futz around the house until 2pm, then back to work until 7 or so. Not that the work is all that productive but hey I try.

Went and got groceries this morning. Also, I broke down and sourced another pair of 45lbs since I will be working out from home for an unknowable amount of time. They arrived this afternoon, along with a heavy duty set of parallettes.  I've got the GMB parallettes program I can dust off and use this in conjunction with rings training.

So that's it for the week. I hoping next week is better and more focused.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Also, I broke down and sourced another pair of 45lbs since I will be working out from home for an unknowable amount of time.

Right. When we get to May, they might extend the shelter in place again. Or they'll let us out for economic reasons but with no guarantee of safety, in which case we'll have to decide for ourselves whether it's worth it to go to the gym or not. So you should have those 45s. 

42 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Without having an office to go into for the daily 9-5, I've found that I will wake up at 6am and start working at 630am until about 11, then nap and futz around the house until 2pm, then back to work until 7 or so. Not that the work is all that productive but hey I try.

This actually sounds okay to me. Maybe it's what nature intended for our days. A nice long midday nap-futz. 

• Like 2

Trying is good. And you’ve got quite the home gym set up now :) 

hope it’ll help keep the existential crisis to a minimum.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, Harriet said:

So you should have those 45s. 

On 4/4/2020 at 2:02 PM, KB Girl said:

And you’ve got quite the home gym set up now

Yeah, I am lucky to have continued to build it out over the last 8 years, and also lucky enough to have been able to haul it around several cross country moves over the last 6 years. The only thing that is really missing now is some full length mirrors. Once I get those I won't ever have to go back to a commerical gym again :D

On 4/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, Harriet said:

This actually sounds okay to me. Maybe it's what nature intended for our days. A nice long midday nap-futz. 

Yeah it's going to be interesting going back to work after this is all over. I was discussing this with my Mom earlier in the week. Her company (and CEO) is very old school and wants people to be in the office, but after the initial lock down her staff is now more productive at home instead of coming into the office. So she's been keeping tabs on how things are going and maybe her company can start doing more WFH days, and invest more into online tools instead of spending a bunch on commerical office space that people don't want to go to. I think this is going to change a lot of companies ideas about WFH and productivity. Which may end up being a great thing in the future.

• Like 6

Week 2.1

So the weekend was really low key. Saturday I read a lot. Finished off 3 books in the last 5 days or so. My backlog is getting smaller which is a good thing.

Sunday I slept in and was a putz around the house and didn't realllllly want to lift. It's cold and rainy and the garage was icky with bad weather and so I dilly dallied until like 230pm. I finally got motivated and put on pants and went outside to lift with the intention of just deadlifting something mildly heavy and not doing my program.

I worked up to 405 triples during the warm up and decided to say fuck it and just do the programmed sets. Glad I did. It went well.

Coan DL Week 8

• 2@490lbs
    • This is a rep PR and 5lbs PR over my last attempt like 9 weeks ago. It felt smooth, and while not saying it was easy, my form was definitely pretty good.
    • Chalked up the hands because it was rainy and humid in the garage. Like I said, icky day.
  • Speed DL: 3x3@365 every 2 min
    • No issues. Did these beltless.
  • Power Shrugs - 2x5@365
    • My callouses were starting to rip during these, even with straps. Need to work on some hand care this week
  • Chin ups - 2x5
    • Callouses again were not liking these.
  • Good mornings - 3x5@135

Overall a good session even though I didn't wanna do it. Session took an hour overall, not much volume per time unit. I did manage to get distracted and forget to load a 45lbs plate on one side when I was warming up. Oops.

Happy with the heavy workset, seeing as last week at 465 felt so heavy. The new bumper plates were a god send for noise, and I am sure my upstairs neighbor also appreciated them. Much less clanky-ness when setting the bar down. This also means I don't have to set it down as slowly as I did before, which was playing with my form. Ever try to pause a heavily loaded bar right before it hits the ground? Not fun.

Next week's session is the start of tapering to max test day. So only a heavy single build up to my opener and less accessory sets. Probably a good time to focus on stretching and recovery the next two weeks.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Yeah it's going to be interesting going back to work after this is all over. I was discussing this with my Mom earlier in the week. Her company (and CEO) is very old school and wants people to be in the office, but after the initial lock down her staff is now more productive at home instead of coming into the office. So she's been keeping tabs on how things are going and maybe her company can start doing more WFH days, and invest more into online tools instead of spending a bunch on commerical office space that people don't want to go to. I think this is going to change a lot of companies ideas about WFH and productivity. Which may end up being a great thing in the future.

My company's CEO is having weekly townhall video sessions where he and the executives talk about the state of the company and all the things they're doing to try and keep employees safe while not sacrificing productivity, and one the one last week, the CEO flat out stated that they expect a lot more people will be working from home when this is over, than before. HE also predicts less business travel, since we're all learning how to get things done without it now.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I think this is going to change a lot of companies ideas about WFH and productivity. Which may end up being a great thing in the future.

How interesting. I really do hope some good things come out of this crisis. I think it's shining a spotlight on some of our shortcomings, so maybe we'll be motivated to make some changes. I have to keep reminding myself that not all surprises and unexpected things have to be bad. Things can change for the better, too. 

20 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Sunday I slept in a putz around the house and didn't realllllly want to lift. It's cold and rainy and the garage was icky with bad weather and so I diddy dallied until like 230pm. I finally got motivated and put on pants and went outside to lift with the intention of just deadlifting something mildly heavy and not doing my program.

You don't need pants to deadlift provided you have long socks. To prevent shin scrapes, I mean. Actually. Now that I think on it, I want to specific that I mean trousers. (I'm not saying you definitely need underpants for lifting, I'm just saying I'm not sure).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You don't need pants to deadlift provided you have long socks. To prevent shin scrapes, I mean. Actually. Now that I think on it, I want to specific that I mean trousers. (I'm not saying you definitely need underpants for lifting, I'm just saying I'm not sure).

Hahah, trousers/pants are definitely needed when it's cold out. I've been known to lift in just underwear when it gets really hot outside. Back in Texas it was normal for me to lift in skivvies drenched in chalk during summer. Living and lifting alone has its advantages.

XD

• Like 3

Just starting and doing something and giving yourself permission to do less is such a great tool for staying consistent :) 

commenting on that because I can always use the reminder ;)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Just starting and doing something and giving yourself permission to do less is such a great tool for staying consistent :) 

Wise words. Or to quote The Adventure Zone podcast (which paraphrased Joan Baez): "What is the antidote to despair? Well, my friend, it is action.”

6 hours ago, raptron said:

GLAD YOU DIDN'T WUSS OUT ON YOUR WORK SETS.

Meeeee too! Although the lower back DOMS are pretty wicked today. Back DOMS are the worst DOMS. Spent some quality time with the car buffer this evening to loosen things up.

• Like 3

So there were a couple of people who tried to PM me through the forums, but were unable. Finally got around to figuring out why:

image.png.32bb7c1370fc5c0b25620bb26413ae42.png

I'm just slightly above the PM message cap. Apparently the messages pile up over the decade. :)

Edit: Any chance the ever benevolent @Tanktimus the Encourager can help a guy out and give me more message space? I'd hate to delete all of the history i've got in there. I'd PM you but...well.... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Edit: Any chance the ever benevolent @Tanktimus the Encourager can help a guy out and give me more message space? I'd hate to delete all of the history i've got in there. I'd PM you but...well.... 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, I've looked into it as this has come up before. This happens with former GLs and former Admins. When you go back to Member from GL you lose the unlimited PMs, and I can't find a place to change that.

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry, I've looked into it as this has come up before. This happens with former GLs and former Admins. When you go back to Member from GL you lose the unlimited PMs, and I can't find a place to change that.

I figured that was the reason. I guess you should just make me an admin again :)

• Haha 2

Week 2.2

Today was 5/3/1 bench day: 3x5+

• 5@140, 5@160, 7@180
    • Felt good about these. I have been working on changing my grip width and the heavy set felt really solid today. A definite improvement over last month
  • OHP - 5x8@65
    • No issues here, just a bunch of boring volume work.

Week 2.3

I was supposed to do DLs today, but given I am in the end game of my Coan program I decided to skip and instead work on some mobility stuff and back buffering. It's the right call.

• Like 5

On 3/30/2020 at 7:21 PM, bigm141414 said:

When they're ready I'll probably make some pizza dough and freeze individual pieces so I can make personal pizzas next week.

Awesome idea that!    If a pizza is only so big, I can only eat so much!  Hmmmm.

Nice work on things all around.    I am a person incapable of napping, but they always sound so dang nice when people describe them...