4 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

1) Ein Bier, bitte. (got that covered)

2) Schiri!!!! das war kein Abseits!

I'm practically fluent!

Nice :D 

On 4/19/2020 at 7:18 PM, bigm141414 said:

• Coan DL Week 10!
    • DL - 1@515
      • This went up rather smooth. Definitely much better than last week's attempt at 500.
      • This also ties my all time personal record.
      • I was feeling pretty high after hitting it that I decided to skip the accessories and did:
    • DL - 1@525
      • Annnnnnnnd I hit it! It was heavy, and getting off the floor was definitely hard. This was a shut-your-eyes-tight-and-pray-it-gets-off-the-floor type of lift. A lift that lasts 5 seconds in the normal flow of time but a lifetime and a half in my head.
      • But oh how sweet it was! That is a life-time PR by 10lbs, and a 40lbs increase over my last 1RM attempt! Quarantine does my body good. 

PROGRAM-BREAKING HEATHEN, YOU. 😝

Good job, though!! 🎊

• Like 1

I slept terribly on Sunday night. The DOMS hit pretty hard at like 4am and I was uncomfortably achy all of Monday. I made a batch of chocolate oatmeal cranberry cookie dough to sooth my aches. It didn't help the aches but mentally made me feel better.

Eating habits took a break the last couple of days, besides the cookie dough I ordered delivery from one of my go to quick eats joints and ate waaaaay too much food in general. Also made some amazingly spicy beef barbacoa which I had to quickly put away after I somehow consumed 4 tacos worth before I was even done slicing it. 

Spoilers for beef barbacoa: 

Spoiler

image.png.ca6789000e13ce28e46333895300ced6.png

I did get in my workout in the evening. It was 5/3/1+ bench day so I had a chance to find a decent opener for the weekend.

5/3/1+ Bench:

• Bench - 5@160, 3@185, 2@205
  • Opener attempt - 1@215
    • This was a bit of a struggle. I blame the workout before plus the overall DOMS/lack of good sleep the night before. This also ties my all time PR as well. Can I get 2 plates?!?! Tune in this weekend to find out!

Afterwards, like I said, I made cookie dough and sat on the couch watching Fleabag (a thoroughly enjoyable short series that is streaming on Amazon Prime). I crawled into bed around 9pm and read a book for another hour and 45 minutes or so.  I should have stopped but the book was getting really good and I am like 50 pages until it ends. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

5/3/1+ Bench:

• Bench - 5@160, 3@185, 2@205
  • Opener attempt - 1@215
    • This was a bit of a struggle. I blame the workout before plus the overall DOMS/lack of good sleep the night before. This also ties my all time PR as well. Can I get 2 plates?!?! Tune in this weekend to find out!

I am so envious. 215lb is great. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I am so envious. 215lb is great. 

Aww don't be evnious :) Bench has and will always be my worst lift (relatively speaking). Over ten years into the Iron Game I have never 1) benched 2 plates or 2) Hit a body weight bench press. While it doesn't bother as much as it did when I was younger and starting out, I still have that Generic Gym Rat Bro(TM) voice in the back of my head taunting "yo bro, your chest game is weaksauce, you noodle armed bean pole". And said voice isn't wrong, again, relatively speaking. We all have chinks in our armor.

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

fantastic deadlift!

Also cookie dough and tacos sounds yummy

Thanks! They weerrrrrre. Although if I was training for an actual power lifting meet this weekend, my inner coach would be chiding me about making weight XD.

• Like 2

Squat day!

So I went and did squats this evening. Usually Tuesdays are deadlift day for 5/3/1 but I'm resting on that this week. So squats it is. First, I did the program:

5/3/1 Squat Day:

• 5@195, 3@215, 3@240
    • These fine, the first set was a bit achy, I should have warmed up the hips a bit more.
    • I had plenty in the tank for the last set but I didn't want to push it because I wanted some time to try out a heavy opener for this weekend. It makes my tracking spread sheet look sad.
    • Below is the week by week calculation for my squat 1RM based on the reps/weight on the AMRAP sets. -11% change week on week makes my eye twitch just a bit :)
    • image.png.e856f8a00fae03e65ac0d7b5dc30a51d.png
  • Squat Opener Attempt: 1@265
    • This went exceedingly well. It's been years since I've had this amount of weight on my back. I brought my belt out to the garage as a crutch just in case I needed it, but I was cautious for no reason. The lift was fine, smooth, good speed, and most of all no weird creeks in the knees or ankles.

So with my squat, bench, and deadlift openers firgured out I am now ready for the weekend. If I hit only the openers then I will just barely get over the line for 1000lbs Club membership. If I hit my stretch goals I'll have a new PR for DL and bench, and I'll be 40lbs off my all time meet total. That wouldn't be a bad weekend. Still gotta get my squat numbers up because they are rookie numbers. Rookie numbers!

tenor.gif

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bigm141414 said:

So with my squat, bench, and deadlift openers firgured out I am now ready for the weekend. If I hit only the openers then I will just barely get over the line for 1000lbs Club membership. If I hit my stretch goals I'll have a new PR for DL and bench, and I'll be 40lbs off my all time meet total. That wouldn't be a bad weekend. Still gotta get my squat numbers up because they are rookie numbers. Rookie numbers!

I think it was you who put the idea in my mind that someone is either good at Squats or Deadlifts based on the ratio of the length of their femur to the rest of their body. You and I are deadlifters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You and I are deadlifters

That we are. :) Are you a conventional deadlifter? I was contemplating training sumo for a bit to try it out. The only reason would be I could take 3-4 inches off of my range of motion. And if it helps me get to a 6 plate deadlift I'm will to take a few weeks to experiment :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

Aww don't be evnious :) Bench has and will always be my worst lift (relatively speaking). Over ten years into the Iron Game I have never 1) benched 2 plates or 2) Hit a body weight bench press. While it doesn't bother as much as it did when I was younger and starting out, I still have that Generic Gym Rat Bro(TM) voice in the back of my head taunting "yo bro, your chest game is weaksauce, you noodle armed bean pole". And said voice isn't wrong, again, relatively speaking. We all have chinks in our armor.

It didn't even occur to me that you might weigh 2 plates or more.... I guess we're just lifting on different scales. You're doing great. I'm doing great. The earthen spirits appreciate our efforts, not our results. The results are just for our hubris.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

The earthen spirits appreciate our efforts, not our results. The results are just for our hubris.

And our bragging rights. Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

That we are. :) Are you a conventional deadlifter? I was contemplating training sumo for a bit to try it out. The only reason would be I could take 3-4 inches off of my range of motion. And if it helps me get to a 6 plate deadlift I'm will to take a few weeks to experiment :)

I never got into high enough maxes to contemplate sumo. I was always conventional. I eventually stopped powerlifting, not because I didn't like it, but becuase I was getting gassed doing the high volume stuff at the beginning of cycles and stalling on my maxes. I'm doing KBs now, both because I'm more consistent with them than I was with powerlifting, and to get my engine conditioned enough to do hypertrophy sets once I go back.

• Like 2

\o/ that’s so freaking awesome, congrats! :) 

I can read and understand German and even talk a little bit because I live so close to the border... but the written part of it completely escapes me 😅

On 4/21/2020 at 8:06 PM, Harriet said:

It didn't even occur to me that you might weigh 2 plates or more.... I guess we're just lifting on different scales. You're doing great. I'm doing great. The earthen spirits appreciate our efforts, not our results.

No worries, one of the wonders (downsides?) of interacting mostly with people online is the default avatars we assign to people. For most of the people on here y'all all look and sound like me (with various changes in pitch) because that's what my head defaults to. The shock of meeting nerds in person is always entertaining as my mental image quickly adjusts. That said, we're all lifting and that is all that matters. There is no scale that matters when it comes to the bonds of Iron. 

Plus, I am deceptively heavy. Being tall (6'3), and lanky makes it easier for me to hide my mass.

On 4/21/2020 at 8:06 PM, Harriet said:

The results are just for our hubris

On 4/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, Scalyfreak said:

And our bragging rights. Right?

On 4/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Harriet said:

Maybe later. Nothing to brag about yet.

As an unrepentant braggart and a connoisseur of the braggadocios arts, there is plenty to brag about all the time. Heck I'm gonna brag about getting out of bed today and taking a shower before noon because that's a feat worth bragging about :)

On 4/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, raptron said:

SUMO! SUMO! SUMOOOO! Try it. It's fun. 

Fiiiiiiiiiiiine I will! But next week.

Also I couldn't help but read your comment in anything but this style:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

\o/ that’s so freaking awesome, congrats! :) 

I can read and understand German and even talk a little bit because I live so close to the border... but the written part of it completely escapes me 😅

Thanks! Yeah reading and listening isn't too bad for me (if they speak slow enough) but learning all of the grammar is going to be a struggle.

• Like 4

Wednesday Update

Not a very productive work day. I did get in my OHP day which went fine. Nothing special about it. 

5/3/1 OHP Day

• 5@95, 3@110, 8@120
    • This still continues to be easy for me. The one downside of 5/3/1 is that it is a slow progression if you start toooooo low. Ah well. It's probably healthy for my shoulders this way.

Rest of the day was napping, cleaning, meetings for work but no productive achievements. I read The Immortal Hulk Vol 1 in the evening. I'm excited to pick up the next volume as the story was not the typical super hero fare. It's more leaning towards the horror end of the spectrum which is refreshing.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Not a very productive work day. I did get in my OHP day which went fine. Nothing special about it. 

WHat! We're accustomed to seeing massive PRs! 
Kidding. Every OHP is a good OHP.

20 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Rest of the day was napping, cleaning, meetings for work but no productive achievements. I read The Immortal Hulk Vol 1 in the evening. I'm excited to pick up the next volume as the story was not the typical super hero fare. It's more leaning towards the horror end of the spectrum which is refreshing.

Comic book horror? Sounds groovy.

21 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I got volume 1 and volume 2 of this from my local library right before the closed all branches for in-person loans of real books, due to the pandemic situation. I very much enjoyed the turn the story took in volume two, and where it hints that it will go in the next volume.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I very much enjoyed the turn the story took in volume two, and where it hints that it will go in the next volume.

Yay! I am hoping for more Lovecraftian story telling that the first volume hinted at. The art style and characterizations are hinting at this type of worldbuilding and I hope my predictions are not wrong :) But shhhhh. No spoilers :D

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Comic book horror? Sounds groovy.

Very much so. I never thought of the Hulk as a horror type story before but they way they've hinted at his origin leaves me wanting more horror type back stories for our beloved heroes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Yay! I am hoping for more Lovecraftian story telling that the first volume hinted at. The art style and characterizations are hinting at this type of worldbuilding and I hope my predictions are not wrong :) But shhhhh. No spoilers :D

Definitely no spoilers!

So this weekend's lifting did not go as planned. At all. In any sense of the word. I warmed up my deadlifts similar to how I had last week and those went well. I put on my DL opener of 525 because I was able to lift it last week so I figured I'd start there.

Get up to the bar. Everything feels okay. Start the lift. Get about an inch off the floor. And. Then. Something. Hurts.

Long story short. I messed up my lower back on the first lift. And honestly I don't even know how. I was braced properly. I checked the tape and my setup was fine, not problems at all. I've never had this happen before and the worst part is not knowing what I did wrong. Was the bar out front by a centimeter? Was my belt not in the proper place? Did I lose my bracing in the millisecond after the lift left the floor? These questions haunted me all weekend.

Needless to say I spent the rest of the weekend hobbling like an old man. Drinking my sorrows away. It hurt to bend. Today is better. I can mostly move without pain. There is still a slight twinge when I do forward leans and some of the yoga moves are stiffer than normal.

All in all a pretty ego destroying weekend. I'll just go back to laying down on the couch sipping whiskey through a straw.

• Sad 5
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Sorry to hear about the injury. Maybe you just can't do a max deadlift every week? Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1