Bigm Turns 10, Chases Dem Quarantine Quads

On 4/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, bigm141414 said:

Also I couldn't help but read your comment in anything but this style:

giphy.gif

I read it as the beginning of "hooked on a feeling"

:(

where do you hurt? sorry

On 4/27/2020 at 1:36 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

In my unmedical opinion you did not give yourself enough recovery time from that amazing PR. Perhaps next time do a MAJOR deload and only do your warmups or something.

What's this about recovery time? Never heard of such a thing.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:35 AM, Scalyfreak said:

That sounds both painful and scary! I hope your back heals soon and well.

Meee too!

On 4/27/2020 at 2:18 PM, Harriet said:

Sorry to hear about the injury. Maybe you just can't do a max deadlift every week? Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I don't understand? Shouldn't every day be max day? :)

On 4/27/2020 at 2:26 PM, h3r0 said:

Ow! I know that pain. I hope you heal up soon. Alternate heat and ice usually helps 

I have ice in my whiskey. That counts right?

On 4/28/2020 at 10:21 AM, raptron said:

Awwww, that is the worst feeling. Hope your whiskey sipping has continued to soothe. 

It has definitely helped. I think? I dunno Alcohol plus the sads didn't seem to be emotionally helpful, even though physically it was.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, miss_marissa said:

where do you hurt? sorry

Thanks, it was my lower back. But it's better now, but a huuuuuge blow to the ego.

• Haha 1

Update for the last week

I haven't touched a barbell since the weekend and spent a good portion of the early week pity partying with alcohol. My back is better, only a slight twinge if I move in the wrong way. I've been doing a lot of stretching and foam rolling and car buffering. I've also discovered that I miss the ergonomic setup of my work office. Never realized how nice a proper chair/desk height combination can feel. My home office isn't really set up for hours on end of comfort, so my back hasn't really enjoyed my shitty chair/ikea desk setup.

Had some dnd fun with nerds early in the week despite my technical difficulties in getting the video/audio feed setup. It was a lovely time. It reminded me that I am waaaaaaay out of practice speaking to other humans that are not family/work people. My social/conversational skills have definitely atrophied over the last 7 weeks. And my dnd skills are out of practice. Been years since I've had to exercise my imagination instead of passively consuming media. Kinda missed it.

Anyways, plans for the rest of the week:

• Continue stretching.
  • Try out an empty bar for some good mornings
  • Get outside and go for a walk
    • I have only left my apartment for grocery store runs for the last 6 weeks. I need to go for a stroll.
  • More stretching and foam rolling.
  • Did I mention stretching? Because I am definitely doing that.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I've also discovered that I miss the ergonomic setup of my work office. Never realized how nice a proper chair/desk height combination can feel.

I too am learning this the hard way. I find that pacing every half hour while doing mobility exercises for my shoulders help a little bit, but I don't know if that will still be the case a month from now.

22 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

My back is better, only a slight twinge if I move in the wrong way.

Excellent.

I've been doing a lot of stretching and foam rolling and car buffering. I've also discovered that I miss the ergonomic setup of my work office. Never realized how nice a proper chair/desk height combination can feel. My home office isn't really set up for hours on end of comfort, so my back hasn't really enjoyed my shitty chair/ikea desk setup.

Yeah, same. Except what the problem is the granny flat I've been living in for 1.5 years now. I can choose from the sofa, the kitchen table, or a weird ass desk that's 2 inches too high.

Had some dnd fun with nerds early in the week despite my technical difficulties in getting the video/audio feed setup. It was a lovely time. It reminded me that I am waaaaaaay out of practice speaking to other humans that are not family/work people. My social/conversational skills have definitely atrophied over the last 7 weeks. And my dnd skills are out of practice. Been years since I've had to exercise my imagination instead of passively consuming media. Kinda missed it.

Nice! This sounds awesome and you're so right about the passive media consumption.

Ouch.. these things happen.. even if you did set up everything right 🤷‍♀️ the work setup at home probably didn’t help. 
glad it doesn’t seem to be anything long lasting!

I guess it is time for a challenge wrap up.

To start off, this challenge ended pretty poorly for my ego. I was doing great until I hurt myself, and I've spent to last week wallowing. Luckily my back is doing much better and there is very little lingering soreness. I picked up the barbell on Thursday for some bar only good morning and deadlifts. It was stiffer than I wanted but no further pain so that's a plus. Also on the plus side, I set a DL lifetime PR and tied my bench PR as well. So I think that officially makes me 2/3rds whole. My squat is still lacking but there is hope to get back above 3 plates soon.

My eating and drinking habits went into the gutter this past week, obviously, so I'm back to being as puffy as I was when the challenge started. Le sigh.

My daily routine pittered out around the 3rd week and I never really got back into. I tried to keep up with some flexibility and splits training but even that became an effort as this new normal dragged on.

Isolation life got to me pretty hard towards the end of this week. I woke up well past 9am  the last half of the week, and only got motivated after noon to shower and get dressed for the day. I got clearance to go into my lab next week for two days because my project comes in house. That'll be a nice change of pace. And I finally get an option to put my fancy work clothes on again. Which means I should probably wash and iron them :)

Looking forward, I think I am going to take another week off, and then run a higher volume program than 5/3/1 for a while. I am thinking a few cycles of Smolov Jr for bench/squat and maybe Cube Method for DL. I need to also restart a daily routine to keep my sanity. Maybe not as strict as I had this time around. I had set up to an alarm every 2 hours to do a simple routine, but I am thinking maybe a dedicated 30minutes over lunch to focus on a calisthenics routine instead. 

For final thoughts, I am starting to maybe miss some cardio work as well. I was at least getting some bike/treadmill work before the lockdown, along with a bunch of hiking, and now I fear that being inside my 750sqft apartment all the time has cratered my cardio capacity even more. Heck, it's probably a fact at this point.

P.S On a more inspiring lifting note: did anyone watch Hafthor Bjornsson (aka The Mountain from game of thrones) lift a world record 501kg deadlift? Anyone else inspired by such a phenomenal feat of human strength? Just me? Okay cool. Cool, cool, cool.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 7:20 AM, Harriet said:

weird ass desk that's 2 inches too high.

Nothing a hack saw can't solve :D

On 4/30/2020 at 9:07 PM, Scalyfreak said:

I too am learning this the hard way.

I'll never roll my eyes at ergonomics assessments at my company ever again. Now if only they would let me pack my company desk and chair into my car to take home, I'd be all set.

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ouch.. these things happen..

That they do, but man is it the worst. The physical pain goes away but this reminds me when I hurt my knee. The psychological impact is infinitely worst than the physical at this point. There will now be a gremlin in the back of my mind on every lift, questioning my set up, eating away at my confidence. And the only way to silence that voice will be time. I'm not very patient. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I guess it is time for a challenge wrap up.

To start off, this challenge ended pretty poorly for my ego. I was doing great until I hurt myself, and I've spent to last week wallowing. Luckily my back is doing much better and there is very little lingering soreness. I picked up the barbell on Thursday for some bar only good morning and deadlifts. It was stiffer than I wanted but no further pain so that's a plus. Also on the plus side, I set a DL lifetime PR and tied my bench PR as well. So I think that officially makes me 2/3rds whole. My squat is still lacking but there is hope to get back above 3 plates soon.

Dude... that 525 PR... is amazing. You did great. 

Looking forward, I think I am going to take another week off, and then run a higher volume program than 5/3/1 for a while.

Healing rest then right back at it. Good plan.

P.S On a more inspiring lifting note: did anyone watch Hafthor Bjornsson (aka The Mountain from game of thrones) lift a world record 501kg deadlift? Anyone else inspired by such a phenomenal feat of human strength? Just me? Okay cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Heck yes. I was watching the clip with a coconut in my hands, and it burst into flames from the sheer excellence of what we were seeing.

18 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

200.gif

I'm not up to @raptron let's-go-for-8-miles-because-I-can levels of cardio, but I wouldn't mind a sprint around the block (or more realistically to the end of the driveway) combined with some AMRAP cleans. Get that blood pumpin' y know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not just you, that was pretty amazing to watch! But to be honest I found your deadlift video even more inspiring because you being on NF makes it seem more like these things are possible.

wishing you lots of patience to recover from the psychological blow 😘

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Not just you. That was inspiring.

16 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

It was stiffer than I wanted but no further pain so that's a plus.

Big plus! Glad you're on the mend. 

Also on the plus side, I set a DL lifetime PR and tied my bench PR as well. So I think that officially makes me 2/3rds whole. My squat is still lacking but there is hope to get back above 3 plates soon.

And HELL YEAH. 

UH DUH. It was so dope. It looks like he'll be breaking his own record again pretty soon.