• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Brovatar Korra

Brovatar Korra Rises Like A (Beth) Phoenix

beth-phoenix-injury-royal-rumble-2020-ma

Beth Phoenix is so awesome. She is my favorite wrestler and now a commentator on NXT, and also my #fitnessgoals. And she's tough as nails. She suffered a nasty laceration on the back of her head at the latest Royal Rumble and still finished the match like a boss. I'm a pharmacist and I work at a hospital. So I'm gonna need to channel some of that grit for what lies ahead...

1. Ready for the Rumble: Weight training 4x per week

I was fortunate enough to procure a barbell and set of weights right before everything closed down, so I can continue with my 5/3/1 plans for the most part. Will be able to do OHP, floor press, front squats, and deadlifts. Up to 220#.

2. Cruiserweight Challenge

The cruiserweight limit is <205 lb. I started dieting in February and have gone from 219 to 215 lb so far. Becoming an official cruiserweight competitor will be the next big milestone!

3. TLC (not Tables Ladders Chairs)

I gotta do nice things for myself to stay sane and remain able to help others. Goal is to treat myself AT LEAST 3 times per week. Treats include but are not limited to: video game time, bubble baths, table top games with husband, iced coffees, reading while snuggled under the blanket, new workout accoutrements (like dumbbells or those fancy secure lock weight clips), playing piano, and naps!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I'm a pharmacist and I work at a hospital.

That makes you a genuine real-life hero right now. Channel whatever you need to, but realize and remember that you are already a badass.

(I have lots of nurses in the family. They are working very hard right now, and I am in awe of their determination to not give up.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I was fortunate enough to procure a barbell and set of weights right before everything closed down, so I can continue with my 5/3/1 plans for the most part. Will be able to do OHP, floor press, front squats, and deadlifts. Up to 220#.

Nice. 

15 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I'm a pharmacist and I work at a hospital. So I'm gonna need to channel some of that grit for what lies ahead...

May the earth spirits bless you with valour and resolve. 

• Like 1

This weekend I tried floor presses at home for the first time. Without a rack it involves me sitting on the ground, getting the bar onto my lap, leaning back and doing a hip thrust to get bar into position. And then reversing the process when finished. It adds a flair of cardio to the silly-looking process,  which I imagine will be the limiting factor.

Floor presses: 45x8, 65x8, 80x8, 95x8, 105x8, 110x8x3

Bicep Curls 3x10

Rear delt raises 3x10

Chest Flyes 3x10

I treated myself yesterday by playing Borderlands with my brother and nephew, we had a blast! I think I'm going to spend Sunday doing absolutely nothing, except maybe batch cooking  and if I'm feeling really ambitious taking a shower. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

This weekend I tried floor presses at home for the first time. Without a rack it involves me sitting on the ground, getting the bar onto my lap, leaning back and doing a hip thrust to get bar into position. And then reversing the process when finished. It adds a flair of cardio to the silly-looking process,  which I imagine will be the limiting factor.

Floor presses: 45x8, 65x8, 80x8, 95x8, 105x8, 110x8x3

Sounds like fun. If you get up to 135lb, can you just slide under the bar? 

Actually, isn't there a party game like this? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Would dumbbells make more sense for the floor press?

I do floor press with my dumbbells, but there's still some acrobatics to it. Sit down, balance the weights on my legs. Lay down, use thigh muscles to help moving the dumbbells up to starting position. Reverse the whole process a the end of the set.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Would dumbbells make more sense for the floor press?

Definitely. However I currently do not have any. Plans to acquire some are in the works.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, Harriet said:

Sounds like fun. If you get up to 135lb, can you just slide under the bar? 

Actually, isn't there a party game like this? 

Hmmmm not sure if my body fits between the bar and 8.75" off the ground 😜

Sunday 3/29 Workout

Sumo DL working up to 130# for 5x3. My 45# plates are on backorder but should be available soon.

KB swings 3x10

Goblet squats 3x10

Trap shrugs 3x10

My husband for the first time (ever!) expressed interest in being able to bench press at home... so we might even invest in a half-rack! This would probably be better in the long run then all of the limbo-ing about. IF we can find one.

TLC - We are rewatching all of the Marvel movies chronologically by release date. However we did skip The Incredible Hulk for self-evident reasons.

Fun fact - Beth Phoenix was also known as "The Glamazon"

tenor.gif?itemid=11988059

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

TLC - We are rewatching all of the Marvel movies chronologically by release date. However we did skip The Incredible Hulk for self-evident reasons.

1381761145_tenor(4).gif.ad34bf25700a3fdc712175873d62a72d.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Hmmmm not sure if my body fits between the bar and 8.75" off the ground 😜

Oh, fair enough! The plates look so big, but after all, the clearance is less than half the diameter I guess. 

14 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

My husband for the first time (ever!) expressed interest in being able to bench press at home... so we might even invest in a half-rack! This would probably be better in the long run then all of the limbo-ing about. IF we can find one.

Ahhh. Nice. Sometimes I dream of having a full set up at home. But then other times I think I like getting dressed and leaving the house. Hopefully we'll get that choice back soon.

• Like 1

WE GOT A RACK!!!

I'm so excited. I feel very fortunate that we can afford one and that there was one available at Dick's sporting goods the next town over. They even arranged for free curb side pick-up. We bought it on Monday evening and husband set it up today while I was at work! SO I GOT TO DO BACK SQUATS!!!!

Monday 3/30

OHP (aka deadlift + hang power clean + OHP) worked up to 80 lb for 5x3. Having to clean it first is so much more tiring than taking weight out of a rack. No accessories, just not enough time today.

Tuesday 3/31

Back Squats! Worked up to 130# for 3x5, then 115x10.

KB Lunges 3x10

Played around with assisted pistol squats but I'm terrible at them

Mobility stuff

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

Wednesday 4/01

Five employees at my hospital have been confirmed to have coronavirus. They have split up the pharmacy department as much as they can to avoid a situation where one sick employee takes down the whole department. Because that would be bad. My state is one of 12 that has still refused to issue stay-at-home orders. My place of work originally required employees who had recently traveled to self-quarantine for 14 days (as the CDC recommends). As soon as that started to effect man-power they shortened the time to 11 days. I have a feeling each week a few more days will get shaved off that guidance. We have limited on-site parking for employees - they just disbanded carpools which means more employees will have to use public transportation. They have not yet initiated telework - even for administrative employees who COULD be teleworking. I just can't with this leadership today...

tenor.gif?itemid=11988108

Ready for the RumbleWorkout

Floor Press (using my new rack huzzah)

Worked up to 125 for 3x5, 115x10, 105x12

Bicep Curls 3x12

Rear delt raises 3x12

Cruiserweight Challenge

I'm up 2-3 lb overall this week. Not sure yet if it is water/salt/PMS or those cookies. 

TLC (Not Tables Ladders Chairs)

We watched The Avengers tonight while snuggling with puppers, who might now be the most spoiled dog in the world. Best part of rewatching all of these in a row - I am enjoying watching Thor's arm muscles grow bigger in every movie.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

Five employees at my hospital have been confirmed to have coronavirus. They have split up the pharmacy department as much as they can to avoid a situation where one sick employee takes down the whole department. Because that would be bad. My state is one of 12 that has still refused to issue stay-at-home orders. My place of work originally required employees who had recently traveled to self-quarantine for 14 days (as the CDC recommends). As soon as that started to effect man-power they shortened the time to 11 days. I have a feeling each week a few more days will get shaved off that guidance. We have limited on-site parking for employees - they just disbanded carpools which means more employees will have to use public transportation. They have not yet initiated telework - even for administrative employees who COULD be teleworking. I just can't with this leadership today...

Damn. So they're not even doing the easy stuff, let alone the hard stuff. That's rubbish. I don't know what to say but I wish you good health and luck. 

On 4/1/2020 at 8:48 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

My place of work originally required employees who had recently traveled to self-quarantine for 14 days (as the CDC recommends). As soon as that started to effect man-power they shortened the time to 11 days. I have a feeling each week a few more days will get shaved off that guidance. We have limited on-site parking for employees - they just disbanded carpools which means more employees will have to use public transportation. They have not yet initiated telework - even for administrative employees who COULD be teleworking. I just can't with this leadership today...

That just sucks, and I'm sure it's not helping your overall stress levels. I hope you're able to stay safe and healthy!