• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amaksoud

Low carb diet but no weight loss

Hello, 

Well it has been almost 4 months now since I started low carb diet but with almost 1KG only of weight loss.

I used calculator.net to know my carb intake while keeping the minimum % recommended by different health organizations, so I diced to go with the 40% carb only which represents around 175g of carb each day to lose 0.5KG per week.

3 weeks ago I started to consult certified trainer (I was 71.9KG back then) who reduced my carb intake further. again, with no noticeable impact.

The trainer also advised to eat 4 meals instead of 3 (details mentioned down)

I used to practice soccer 2 to 3 times a week, each for 90 to 120 minutes. The trainer advised me to start going to the gym for 3 times a week, but due to the COVID-19 outbreak, they gyms were closed after I went only for one session. Later on, the trainer sent me videos for HIIT/Strength training to do at home and I have been practicing it for 2 to 3 times a week, each for 30 to 45 minutes.

Lately I started seeing a strange weight loss and regain pattern. So one day I weigh 70.4 and the next day or two I weigh around 72 noting that I regularly weigh myself right after I wake up.

I'm not sure why it's taking me that long to lose those extra pounds although I'm relatively active and I weigh my food and log it.

For the past 3 weeks, I haven't exceeded my daily calorie intake even once!

Information about myself.

42 Years male 

Hight 167CM

Weight 71.1

Diet

Breakfast:- 

2 boiled eggs

40 grams 

1 cucumber 

Lunch 1

150g rice or 135g pasta

150g grilled chicken/105g of grilled beef or 150g of grilled shrimps

100g of sautéed veggies or salad without dressing

Lunch 2 is the same as lunch 1

Dinner

70g of cottage cheese 

1 Apple

Hi there! If you have lost 1kg in 4 months, then you are at or close to maintenance calories, regardless of how many carbs you're eating.

Fluctuations of 1-2 kg daily are not weight loss and weight gain, just differences in how much water your body is holding/how much food you're busy digesting. 

What's your daily calorie allowance? I'm trying to figure out how much you're eating. Lowering calories isn't always the right answer, because our bodies can adjust by e.g. losing muscle and reducing our semi-voluntary non-exercise movement (i.e. fidgeting), and increasing our appetite. So if you're already eating low calories, maybe you could focus on something else for a while, like gaining muscle. Do you even need to lose weight? I'm the same height/weight as you, and I feel fine... For reference, my maintenance is about 2200 cal when not active, and up to 2800 when very active.

Also, keep in mind that a low-carb diet can make workouts feel subjectively hard, even though they're not objectively challenging enough to cause good adaptations. So I don't think dropping carbs is a magical solution if you're already active. It's more appropriate for sedentary people, from what I have read.

• Thanks 1

It's not unusual to see your weight change each day. That's why it is a good idea to keep track, and look at the big picture. If you look at it on a graph, you would want the overall trend to go down. Also,  don't only use your scale. Take measurements of yor waist  once a week. And pay attention to how your clothes fit. YOu could also take a picture every two weeks to see the difference.

As for low carb and losing weight. For some people it works great, for others not so much. One of the theories of why it works , is that fat is satiating, so you eat less. Which seems to hold true for some people. But, bottom line is, if you eat more calories than you burn , you will gain weight. And if you want to lose weight, than you need to eat in a deficit.

I think it is a good idea to track your food for a couple of weeks. Than you can see how many calories you eat vs how much you burn. While you are tracking, pay attention to your hunger. How hungry are you? When you eat is it because you are hungry? You could also try eating some low carb days and some normal, and compare your satiety. Use the food tracking as a data gathering time. Think about how much food you are eating, and what foods satisfy you the most. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think it is a good idea to track your food for a couple of weeks. Than you can see how many calories you eat vs how much you burn. While you are tracking, pay attention to your hunger. How hungry are you? When you eat is it because you are hungry? You could also try eating some low carb days and some normal, and compare your satiety. Use the food tracking as a data gathering time. Think about how much food you are eating, and what foods satisfy you the most. 

It sounds like OP is tracking calories, and is at or under target every day. So the question is what to do if your target calories aren't getting the result you hoped for... 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

It sounds like OP is tracking calories, and is at or under target every day. So the question is what to do if your target calories aren't getting the result you hoped for... 

I didn't get that from the post. The only thing I see the OP tracking is carbs. Amaksoud, if you  are already tracking calories, than ignore my advice about tracking. But you might want to still look at other ways of measuring besides the scale. 

• Thanks 1

Hello, 

thank you all for your replies.

Harriet, indeed I’ve been tracking my calories for the last 220 days 😀 and I’m already below my target calories (1780) that I’m supposed to have in order to lose 0.5KG a week, though I’m not really losing what I expected...that’s why I tried the low carb diet. Now even with low carb, I’m not getting what I wanted.

Now, answering your question regarding If i really need to lose weight, I believe i do. I have a few pounds around my belly that I need to shed.

59 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I didn't get that from the post. The only thing I see the OP tracking is carbs. Amaksoud, if you  are already tracking calories, than ignore my advice about tracking. But you might want to still look at other ways of measuring besides the scale. 

Thank you elastigirl for the hint.

I already had my body measures 3 weeks ago and will try to compare very soon.

• Like 1

Fat loss (which is the goal here, because you don't actually want to lose muscle or weight, you want to lose FAT ;) ) also depends a lot on your genetic predisposition, as well as your hormonal health. As the esteemed Harriet and Elastigirl have already mentioned: you need to eat under your TDEE (carb v fat is not a significant factor), I'll also add eat enough protein (ideally 1.6-2.2g/kg of bodyweight, or 115-160g/day for yourself), and work on your resistance training (with the help of your trainer, which is great).

However, if you are stressed or tired this still may not result in any fat loss for you: your body holds onto it's reserves when it's stressed! So you'll also want to work on ensuring that you have 7-8+hrs of quality sleep every night, that you are taking actions to lower your stress (eg. gratitude journaling, meditation, yoga, walking outside, visiting with friends over video, etc.), and staying hydrated & healthy. Likewise, eating too LITTLE can also cause stress on your body, so if your deficit is too extreme (or if you stay in deficit for too long), it can also stall fat loss.

Bear in mind also that healthy fat loss, especially when you're already in a healthy bodyfat percentage, is only going to be 0.25-1kg/week. So while you're at the lower end of that range, it's not 'too slow'

You could explore intermittent dieting options like the MATADOR protocol (two weeks in deficit, two weeks at maintenance, back and forth), or 5:2 (5 days at TDEE, 2 days significantly lower), intermittent fasting (eg. one fast day a week?), or similar options that could enable you to increase your calories on workout days to improve your energy and productivity.

But you can also just keep on as you're doing, try increasing your protein a bit (eg. bump cottage cheese to 150-225g) and skip the starch in your second lunch, and just stick with it for a bit to see what happens! Go slow, be safe, and have fun. :) Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your thoughtful contributions. I will certainly try them.

However, I have another question.

As I mentioned earlier, I do weigh myself when I wake up in the morning, but it seems that I'm becoming obsessed :) so I occasionally weigh again during the day when I feel hungry or after going to the toilet etc. at that time, I can see that I weigh around 70.5 but my trainer says that during the day doesn't count at all.

He says that since I have been eating, drinking, exercising, going to toilet etc, a lot of factors are affecting the weight and that makes it not a perfect measure.

I think of it in another way, I do add weight through eating & drinking and I think that it's much more the weight I lose while exercising or after going to the toilet and yet I weigh lower than in the morning.

So could my theory be a valid one ?

To answer your question simply: no. It's more complex than that, but in general daily fluctuations in weight preclude intra-daily measurements from being truly useful data. You may be better served to only weigh yourself once a week (or not at all!), and rely on girth measurements of shoulders/waist/limbs in order to gauge progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, amaksoud said:

I do weigh myself when I wake up in the morning, but it seems that I'm becoming obsessed :) so I occasionally weigh again during the day

Noooo. Stop it, please. Weighing yourself more than once a day is too much. Obsession with weight loss can become very harmful. Don't let it get out of control. In fact, maybe set some other goals related to strength, endurance, or skill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

Noooo. Stop it, please. Weighing yourself more than once a day is too much. Obsession with weight loss can become very harmful. Don't let it get out of control. In fact, maybe set some other goals related to strength, endurance, or skill. 

Thanks for the advice Harriet, I'm not that obsessed though. 

I do have a plan for this low carb diet, may be with some tweaks according to Defining advice but anyways my plan ends next Monday and I will definitely reward myself afterwards leading to regain the 1KG that I have been struggling to lose for a month 😁