GoodDoug looks for the silver linings

GoodDoug

Hi all, dropped out a while ago for personal reasons (Lets just say I threw a temper tantrum).

I missed you guys and have been lurking/reading a bit of the forums.

But now I am getting back to a challenge. Not because I need it (I've proven I don't after skipping the last one and doing even better than I was during challenges) but because I want it.

With all the craziness that is "normal" right now, I have been keeping an eye out for those "silver lining" moments. Both in my life and in the stories of others out there. As an example, rather than lamenting that my kids don't get to play soccer with their friends and my older daughter missed a great opportunity to go to a college showcase for soccer, I am finding some happiness in being able to do a bunch of the things I wouldn't normally get to do because my evenings and weekends are taken up with soccer practice and games. Getting quite a bit of wood working done in particular. Rather than lamenting about not having an ergonomic space to do my work, I am appreciating the fact that I can work from home and didn't have to get laid off. Further, this is an opportunity to build the work desk I have always wanted. Seeing others using this as an opportunity is also great. More time with family, time to bake with the kids, time to work on those little projects, and even a greater appreciation for the time we live in and the connections it affords us. 

Here is my challenge to myself:

• Run every other day
  • GMB Vitamins 3 times a week
  • Fill my rings every day
  • Eat mindfully and healthfully
  • Work a reasonable number of hours in a day when working from home

The eating one isn't very measurable or specific, but I've been doing okay with it so far. When I there my temper tantrum a few months ago, I stopped tracking my foods. I feel pretty okay with how that has worked out. Normally, I need those numbers to keep me motivated, but I've done okay by just trying to not eat like a jerk. If I find myself eating terribly again, I'll start tracking again. Part of the issue is that with this shelter in place thing, one of my go to activities is baking. I've made lots of cakes, cookies, some bread, doughnuts and cinnamon rolls. But somehow I have managed to lose a couple of pounds while doing that.

No story, no promising to update, but I will be here. Even if I am only reading, looking for those silver linings in your stories.

Though I will post a picture of my desk once it is finished. It is going to look pretty cool.

• Like 5

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

hey Doug!  yeah its been awhile... glad to see you back!!

I had a big break about a year ago and what I found was that my program crashed!  not interacting and posting undermined motivation for me. (#'s do too)

and anyways regarding narratives they are a tedious to update.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Hey welcome back! I'm not tracking food either right now.  Speaking of making  desks , have you seen @EricMN desk that he made? 

• Like 3

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 3/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, GoodDoug said:

rather than lamenting that my kids don't get to play soccer with their friends and my older daughter missed a great opportunity to go to a college showcase for soccer, I am finding some happiness in being able to do a bunch of the things I wouldn't normally get to do because my evenings and weekends are taken up with soccer practice and games. Getting quite a bit of wood working done in particular. Rather than lamenting about not having an ergonomic space to do my work, I am appreciating the fact that I can work from home and didn't have to get laid off. Further, this is an opportunity to build the work desk I have always wanted.

I love this attitude.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, GoodDoug said:

Though I will post a picture of my desk once it is finished. It is going to look pretty cool.

Got any examples? I'd love to see what you have in mind.

• Like 3

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

Here is a picture of the glue up:

IMG_1598.thumb.jpeg.4ecfde723eda1973ff9f0614cea5234f.jpeg

That's maple and walnut. I just came in from planing and sanding. 

• Like 5

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

First couple of days in this challenge and I feel like I am doing ok. We are slated to go running tonight and it has been really fun running. My older daughter and I run almost three miles while the wife and younger daughter do walk run intervals for almost 2 miles. And then we all get home and wait in line for the shower. I shower last even though i am the stinkiest.

i bugged out of work on time and feel good about it even though I left work to be done. It will be there for me tomorrow.

Eating has been fine, not great but not terrible and that is what I am aiming for.

All told, feels pretty good so far. But it is just the beginning. Stay safe everyone and keep looking for those silver linings!

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Work motivation has been way down these last two days. Catch myself staring at my screen daydreaming and just can't seem to get any actual work done. Today I am going to try something different while working and hope that makes it better. In other news, my desk is nearly done, for those interested, I bought a Jarvis sit/stand desk base from Fully (fully.com) and am assembling the top from maple and walnut. I have the top panel all glued, sanded and just need t put the last couple of coats of finish on today, then let it dry and add some wax and buff the living daylights out of it. Then I can assemble it and hopefully use it either Friday or next week. I think that will help as I've been trying to work sitting up in the bed. Turns out that isn't a very ergonomic position to work in. Nor is it a very inspiring position (unless you want to be inspired to take a nap)

I am cruising through Vitamins, we are going on our run tonight, my eating hasn't been great and it hasn't been terrible, and I am so-so on finishing work. You'd think I would just give up early when I'm not feeling productive, but it is the opposite, I end up feeling guilty and so sit staring at the computer for far longer than I should. Lets hope I can change that today.

Silver linings:

We have to get creative with food, finding new ways to use what we have.

We have more time to do creative things, and are coming up with lots of projects.

I am working to get through productivity roadblocks and hope to have some good strategies I can use when we get back to the office.

Weather is getting better.

Family is all healthy.

It's been fun reading all of your challenges, sorry I can't comment on all of them but know I am thinking of you all. 

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Hi everyone!

I'm doing better in terms of motivation, now that my desk is finished and I like my space. So much more comfy for longer stretches, especially being able to transition from sit to stand and back so easily. Here are some pictures of my desk:

IMG_1601.jpeg.5d32ca3f01a7ab850a8d60b8174cffa4.jpeg

and a closeup of the wood, because that first picture doesn't do it justice:

IMG_1604.jpeg.3cbb708b5081d598c40079806e25d705.jpeg

Otherwise, I've been doing well. We've been running every other day, except we added an extra day yesterday to get up early and do a super quick run to the Hook and back which is just a mile and a third. We did it very quickly just to get some speed training in for my daughter. The kids are definitely missing soccer practice: missing both their friends and the movement. They've been getting together over Zoom and that has been good for them. My older daughter's team is going to make one of those juggling videos where each player sends in a video of them receiving the ball from the right, doing a few kicks and then sending it to the left. Someone will stitch it together to make it look like they are all juggling together. That will be fun.

I've kept up with Vitamins, and I am still enjoying it. I feel like some of the exercises are physically demanding while some are too easy, some exercises are mentally demanding and some are too easy... which I guess means it is just right.

I've closed my rings every day, which means I'm moving fairly consistently.

Food has been fine the past couple of days, I'm not eating stupidly but could always be better. I need to remember that just because I am running regularly, that doesn't mean I need to scarf down all the carbs in the house. What I'm really trying to say is that I need to stop using the fact that I'm working out more regularly as an excuse to eat like a dumbass.

Thnx for following along, and know I am trying to keep up with your posts, it is just difficult to do when busy! And you guys are prolific!

Silver linings:

• Kids are appreciating what they have more
  • I am appreciating what I have more
  • Being tired and having sore muscles means I'm getting more fit
  • This whole thing has pushed me to get a desk done, which is a project I've wanted to do but couldn't justify and now I'm really proud of the desk top I put together in a relatively short time.
  • Now that the desk is done, I can go back to working with the kids on some other creative things.
  • Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Quick update to end the week:

• Finished my desk, so yay!
  • Ran every other day (with one extra very short very fast run thrown in on a between day)
  • Vitamins 3 times this week (just finished the last one this morning, meant to do it yesterday but got lazy)
  • Filled my rings on my watch every day
  • Ate mostly mindfully (made an applesauce cake yesterday and I may have had an extra slice I shouldn't have)
  • Worked fairly sanely, once I caught myself "working" extra hours I stopped it

We are all going stir crazy in the house, but we are all finding things to do. I need to find a new project now that my desk is done, but I fear that new project will be cleaning up the garage workshop. My older daughter has gotten back to sewing and refashioned an old shirt into a tank top. My younger daughter is following a macrame tutorial on you tube and my wife is busy with all the little things we never have time for in normal life like updating wills and moving her old 403b. My son is looking at going semi-pro with eSports gaming... I wish him luck.

We had a virtual happy hour at work with our engineering org and most of the time was taken up discussing bidets. It started because one coworker tried his new bidet last night and couldn't figure out how to turn it off for ten minutes, "I couldn't get up, that would have been a huge disaster, so I sat there mashing buttons and reading the manual. I've never been so clean."

Rather than using it as a cautionary tale, I'm researching bidets. Go figure.

Hope you are all safe and not going insane. Keep looking for the silver linings in your situations... even if the silver lining is that you've gained a deeper understanding of how much you hate this ;) 

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

HAHAHA made me laugh so much about the bidet!!! SO funny. 

Glad your family are finding things to do, great. Yes its hard isnt it. To not go mad staying inside. 

I am thinking about how to gradually introduce exercise into my life again after the illness...i dont want to push it. And im actually a bit scared of being out of breath. A little PTSD from the coronavirus issues i had :( 

Anyway, sending you all love Doug, keep being awesome xx

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I am thinking about how to gradually introduce exercise into my life again after the illness...i dont want to push it. And im actually a bit scared of being out of breath. A little PTSD from the coronavirus issues i had :( 

Maybe keep it simple with some easy yoga... you can build strength without getting out of breath by just going slowly. Remember, you might wish you could go to 10, but 1 is infinitely greater than 0.

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

1 minute ago, GoodDoug said:

Maybe keep it simple with some easy yoga... you can build strength without getting out of breath by just going slowly. Remember, you might wish you could go to 10, but 1 is infinitely greater than 0.

Thanks Doug, good idea xx

• Like 1

Nice desk set up! The desk looks amazing. I found the same with Vitamin. One day I would struggle a bunch, and the next day's movement would come super easy. I think it was good for my body and brain to have to learn something new every day.

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hi all!

We skipped running last night for. couple of reasons. The main one was that it was still a little stormy and the family doesn't like to get wet.Growing up in the Pacific Northwest means I enjoy going out in the rain, but rain and wind is too much for the family. Also, I needed a little break. I feel like my body needed a little more recovery and it was good to get it. 

I did my Vitamins this morning and it was fun. But now I'm sitting here at the computer all sweaty.

Hope the week finds you all safe and sane!

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

A little late to the show here Doug because I only saw you peek in on my thread and gave the 'current challenge' link a go!   YEAH!   A GD thread!   (GoodDoug, not the other more vulgar option.)   I love the honesty in your posts, even the hard stuff, because I also see you actively look for those silver linings!   Soooo awesome!  

That desk is amazing!   I'd love to try my hand at doing something like that, but you really need to have the set up before hand.   Not smart to go out and buy all the stuffs I'd need now really.    Though I was thinking of trying an actual garden this year!    Cucumbers, tomatos, zucchini and maybe some peppers?  Not sure.   That also would require the buying of plants from a store -and not sure how that's working right now.    Though I imagine the idea of food grown at home has a LOT of appeal to people hehe.   We've done it before, just not in a while.

You are seriously, like the coolest guy I know.   You surf, and do sports and build desks, cook and bake, and are nerdy too!!!   Remind your wife that she got the Total Premium Package!   What a steal!  ;)

• Like 3

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Thnx all for popping into my thread.

Work is a little stressful, but it is only because I am making it stressful. But, I finally figured out how to fix this issue I have been tasked with fixing. It means a bit of a rewrite of some work a coworker did, but I think it is the right way to go. I only came up with the plan this morning while making coffee, but it has been front and center on my mind all last night. So now the stress goes from "What am I going to do?" to actually getting it done.

We skipped running and instead went for a long walk last night. We have to go at night because it is too crowded during the day. The sheriffs have been out giving people citations if they can't prove they live in walking distance from here but it hasn't slowed people down from coming to the beach and walking along the ocean. I get it, if I didn't live here I would think about coming, but people have to stay where they are.

I am pleased to report that with no hard core tracking and just trying to make slightly better food decisions (as well as working out a bit more regularly) the scale is showing a difference. The down trend is official and I feel pretty good about it. Just need to keep it up and figure out how to maintain once the world returns to "normal"

Hope you all stay safe!

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

I am also late, but here none the less.  I love that you have been making the best of this crazy situation!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Weather was great for our run last night. And with the full moon and the waves coming in at the perfect angle there were quite a few surfers out at 21:30. It was kinda crazy, and I heard a few surfers talking about it as the best swell this year. Was fun to see, but I wish I was anywhere near good enough to feel comfortable surfing like that.

I feel like I am getting into a rhythm, though I need to keep an eye on that work life balance thing. I think it is because I am so glad to be in this new group and I enjoy the problems I am solving... but need to remember to walk away when it is time.

Hope this finds you all well and healthy!

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current