Jump to content

Jupiter Makes Small Gains


Jupiter

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

 

Nice work. I hope your day was a good one.

 

Thanks! :) Today was much better.

 

***

 

Quick fly-by post: Got quite a bit done at work (still behind, but it's not panic-inducing so I'm good with it). System is still slow but it's much better compared to the last two days. Did 25 minutes of yoga, got through a page of revisions, and I cooked (grilled cheese, so not the healthy meal I was hoping for, but still, I made it myself). Now I just need to update my planner so I can properly track things again. And now off to bed. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
8 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm glad that you found a way to fall asleep :). Is that Amelia Pond from Dr. Who?

 

Thanks! I'm honestly surprised it worked, I've had a lot of trouble with sleeping lately. I'm not sure actually, I've never seen Dr. Who.  

  • Like 1
Link to post

Saturday stats:

 

Fitness:

 

100% plan: 

        - Strength training 3 sets on Mondays 

        - Yoga 20-30 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays ✔️ -- Around 10 minutes. 

 

10% plan:

        - Strength training 5 minutes on Mondays

        - Yoga 10 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays

 

 

Nutrition:

 

100% plan: 

        - Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day 

        - Eat 1 serving of veggies per week ✔️ 

 

10% plan:

        - Eat 1 serving of fruit per day  ✔️ 

 

 

Intellectual:

 

100% plan:

        - Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day -- Nothing yesterday. 

 

10% plan:

        - Revise half a page every day 

 

 

Miscellaneous goals:

        - Read 1 hour a day ✔️

        - Cook 2-3 times a week ✔️ -- Made popcorn chicken and veggies. 

        - Draw 10 minutes once a week ✔️ -- Finished my drawing yesterday. Debating whether I want to post it. 

        - De-clutter the junk room once a week

        - Journal once a week  

  • Like 6
Link to post

Sunday's Stats:

 

Fitness:

 

100% plan: 

        - Strength training 3 sets on Mondays -- Rest day.

        - Yoga 20-30 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays 

 

10% plan:

        - Strength training 5 minutes on Mondays

        - Yoga 10 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays

 

 

Nutrition:

 

100% plan: 

        - Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day 

        - Eat 1 serving of veggies per week ✔️ 

 

10% plan:

        - Eat 1 serving of fruit per day  ✔️ 

 

 

Intellectual:

 

100% plan:

        - Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day ✔️ -- Got through 1 and a half pages, and that is the end of the chapter. I still need to go back through it one more time, but my mentor gave me notes for the previous chapter so I may go through that first so I can get some distance from this one and still get some work done. Also started planning out another project. I still have another outline I need to finish first, but I'm having fun playing around with this one. 

 

10% plan:

        - Revise half a page every day 

 

 

Miscellaneous goals:

        - Read 1 hour a day ✔️

        - Cook 2-3 times a week ✔️ -- Made scrambled eggs with toast. 

        - Draw 10 minutes once a week 

        - De-clutter the junk room once a week

        - Journal once a week  

 

Pretty uneventful weekend. Stayed home, though I'll have to go out sometime this week to get more water and groceries. Managed to partially clean off my desk and shred papers while binge-watching Roswell, New Mexico before I got distracted, but at least my desk looks better than it did and is a little more functional. I may post my drawing tomorrow too, but I don't know. I don't really like it. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
20 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I may post my drawing tomorrow too, but I don't know. I don't really like it. 

 

I have discovered the solution to drawing something you don't like. Throw it aside and draw ten more. Like squat reps. No one rep matters much. As long as you keep squatting. That's my take, anyway. I'm trying to move to a 'growth mindset' and be focused on learning rather than performance. If you do share, though, that would be great. I like seeing others' art journeys. 

  • Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post

Monday's Stats:

 

Fitness:

 

100% plan: 

        - Strength training 3 sets on Mondays ✔️ -- Workout B complete. This is the one that I upped to 3 sets. Definitely hard, but got it done. 

        - Yoga 20-30 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays 

 

10% plan:

        - Strength training 5 minutes on Mondays

        - Yoga 10 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays

 

 

Nutrition:

 

100% plan: 

        - Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day 

        - Eat 1 serving of veggies per week ✔️ -- That makes 2 days in a row of eating veggies, and I had 2 servings today. I think I'm on a roll (granted, most of the meat I'm eating with the veggies is still processed, but still, we're getting there, slowly but surely). 

 

10% plan:

        - Eat 1 serving of fruit per day  ✔️ 

 

 

Intellectual:

 

100% plan:

        - Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day ✔️ -- A little unfocused, but got through 2 pages. I read a couple of different authors' blogs every once in a while, and two of them mentioned being brain dead and unable to write anything for a while. It's kind of nice to know that even the professionals have their off days and I don't feel quite so bad about my own off days. 

 

10% plan:

        - Revise half a page every day 

 

 

Miscellaneous goals:

        - Read 1 hour a day -- Will do once I log off. 

        - Cook 2-3 times a week 

        - Draw 10 minutes once a week 

        - De-clutter the junk room once a week

        - Journal once a week  

 

Not much to report on the work front today except that we're still super busy. Oh, and my grandma canceled Easter plans because of everything going on. I suppose it's good that she mentioned it and not me because I didn't even know we had plans LOL. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

Yay for desk decluttering!!!!!🎉🎉🎉

 

Thanks! :D 

 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

 

I have discovered the solution to drawing something you don't like. Throw it aside and draw ten more. Like squat reps. No one rep matters much. As long as you keep squatting. That's my take, anyway. I'm trying to move to a 'growth mindset' and be focused on learning rather than performance. If you do share, though, that would be great. I like seeing others' art journeys. 

 

That's a really good idea/mindset. I've always been the opposite, always too focused on the end product and worried I'd mess it up. I've been trying to slowly work more towards a growth mindset like you though, but it's hard, LOL. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Nice job on those veggies, and you're right not to worry about the quality of the meat.  Don't get caught up in perfection.  Great job with the workout as well, and I feel you on the writing...the struggle is for real.  All this newfound free time (at least for me) and nothing to show for it.

  • Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

 

Link to post

Popping in to cheer you on.

2 things, For the desk, I make it a rule (at work) and  a box at home to have a clear desk before I leave or go to bed. This way its less crazy for me trying to do things. Point 2, that pile of paper you are dreading, I make myself deal with 2 pieces of paper a day. I had a HUGE overflowing banker box at my feet of Agents school papers and piles everywhere and I have a box of deal with 2 pages. Sometimes its more than 2, sometimes it is just 2. But it makes the pile go down to a smallish pile I still need to deal with, but its better than the huge pile.

  • Like 5

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post

Tuesday's Stats:

 

Fitness:

 

100% plan: 

        - Strength training 3 sets on Mondays -- Rest day.

        - Yoga 20-30 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays 

 

10% plan:

        - Strength training 5 minutes on Mondays

        - Yoga 10 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays

 

 

Nutrition:

 

100% plan: 

        - Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day 

        - Eat 1 serving of veggies per week ✔️ -- Only 1 serving today. I ran out of fruit, but at least I have plenty of frozen veggies in my freezer. 

 

10% plan:

        - Eat 1 serving of fruit per day   

 

 

Intellectual:

 

100% plan:

        - Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day ✔️ -- More focused today and got through another 2 pages. 

 

10% plan:

        - Revise half a page every day 

 

 

Miscellaneous goals:

        - Read 1 hour a day -- Only read for half an hour last night. Started this one book, but it kind of creeped out, so I switched to another one, but that one was kind of boring. So, trying another one tonight. 

        - Cook 2-3 times a week ✔️ -- Cooked breaded popcorn shrimp and veggies. All came out of a box but still, it counts. 

        - Draw 10 minutes once a week 

        - De-clutter the junk room once a week

        - Journal once a week 

 

 

Spoiler

Ugh, another miserable day at work today. Internet was only sort of working because of an outage in the area and I could barely get anything done. I asked my supervisor to reassign some files to help me out and she was like, "but we need you to do these files so you can help your teammates, they're slammed". Which honestly ticked me off, especially because she did the same thing to me last week (she did reassign them, but still). I just wanted to be snarky and tell her that reminding me of how much work I have and how much she needs me isn't going to make my internet work any better. But no, I was polite and patient and understanding. Still, she does this to me every time there's an issue, says something to the effect of, "but we need you," as if saying the words is supposed to be some miracle cure for whatever issue I'm having. I like her, I do, she's a good supervisor, but sometimes just...ugh. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post

Wow, you're really on roll with the vegetables! Are you doing interesting things with them, or just throw them in the oven/microwave/pan?

 

For your work, you might tell them something along the lines "If that's true, then we have a problem. -short pause then explanation why-" I have one coworker who uses this regularly, and it deflects the problem to the other again. You acknowledge that you heard the other, but you also let them know in a polite way that you don't think that you should provide the solution. I don't know if it will work with your culture in general and manager in particular, but it feels very applicable in your situation.

 

@Bean Sidhe I really like your solution for the paperwork, it makes a large pile way more manageable :). I already see the applications in decluttering other things as well ;).

  • Like 2
Link to post

Sorry you had a rough day at work yesterday.  Sounds like you've proven yourself a valuable asset and they are going to treat you as such to pick up slack.  Glad you stood up for yourself and got some things off your plate!

  • Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

 

Link to post
17 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Popping in to cheer you on.

2 things, For the desk, I make it a rule (at work) and  a box at home to have a clear desk before I leave or go to bed. This way its less crazy for me trying to do things. Point 2, that pile of paper you are dreading, I make myself deal with 2 pieces of paper a day. I had a HUGE overflowing banker box at my feet of Agents school papers and piles everywhere and I have a box of deal with 2 pages. Sometimes its more than 2, sometimes it is just 2. But it makes the pile go down to a smallish pile I still need to deal with, but its better than the huge pile.

What a great idea!

  • Like 2

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Link to post
On 4/7/2020 at 6:31 AM, Novaurora said:

Nice job on those veggies, and you're right not to worry about the quality of the meat.  Don't get caught up in perfection.  Great job with the workout as well, and I feel you on the writing...the struggle is for real.  All this newfound free time (at least for me) and nothing to show for it.

 

Thanks! :D Don't get caught up in perfection?? But...but I'm so good at it. :P The struggle is definitely real. I wish I had more free time to write (though I feel like even with the time that I have, I could be utilizing it better). Our bosses told us we were supposed to slow down for a bit but so far our volume has only tripled. It's insane. 

 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, fitnessgurl said:

You're doing great! Keep it up! 👍

 

Thanks! Doing my best. :) 

 

23 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Popping in to cheer you on.

2 things, For the desk, I make it a rule (at work) and  a box at home to have a clear desk before I leave or go to bed. This way its less crazy for me trying to do things. Point 2, that pile of paper you are dreading, I make myself deal with 2 pieces of paper a day. I had a HUGE overflowing banker box at my feet of Agents school papers and piles everywhere and I have a box of deal with 2 pages. Sometimes its more than 2, sometimes it is just 2. But it makes the pile go down to a smallish pile I still need to deal with, but its better than the huge pile.

 

Thank you! :D And that's a really good idea, I'll have to see how I can implement that into my routine. 

 

18 hours ago, Waanie said:

Wow, you're really on roll with the vegetables! Are you doing interesting things with them, or just throw them in the oven/microwave/pan?

 

For your work, you might tell them something along the lines "If that's true, then we have a problem. -short pause then explanation why-" I have one coworker who uses this regularly, and it deflects the problem to the other again. You acknowledge that you heard the other, but you also let them know in a polite way that you don't think that you should provide the solution. I don't know if it will work with your culture in general and manager in particular, but it feels very applicable in your situation.

 

@Bean Sidhe I really like your solution for the paperwork, it makes a large pile way more manageable :). I already see the applications in decluttering other things as well ;).

 

Thanks! :) I've just been throwing them into the microwave, nothing fancy. I'm hoping to move up to doing more interesting things with them in the future. Baby steps. 

 

As for work, I can try it and see what happens. Thanks. :) 

 

12 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Sorry you had a rough day at work yesterday.  Sounds like you've proven yourself a valuable asset and they are going to treat you as such to pick up slack.  Glad you stood up for yourself and got some things off your plate!

 

LOL, I'd like to think so. Thanks! :) 

 

6 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Wow, your supervisor was trying to guilt-trip you. That's messed up. I've been there though.

 

Yes, it is a favorite tactic of hers. It used to make me feel really bad. Now it just ticks me off. 

  • Like 4
Link to post

Well, my original post got eaten so trying again...not much to report today, only managed to get in 1 serving of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit, and didn't manage to do anything else. Was able to get more work done today thankfully but I have to admit, the stress is getting to me a little bit. It's hard to go through days where I struggle to get anything done and then other days where I have to rush to try to catch up. Especially when our volume is supposed to increase by a crap ton in the next day or two. If things keep going at the rate they are, it's going to be a rough month. 

 

Anyway, thanks so much guys for all the advice and encouragement. It really means a lot. :)


 

Spoiler

 

Also, using 20 seconds of courage, here is some bad anime art. This is from the last challenge. Lots of erase marks, no color, not proportionate, and I don't think I did the angle right. Or the hair. The picture I used as a reference had black hair with a black background so I had to guess. Anyway, here it is: 

 

image.thumb.png.69815d9f3e3e642a737201ac46220864.png

 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
21 hours ago, Jupiter said:

 

  Hide contents

 

Also, using 20 seconds of courage, here is some bad anime art. This is from the last challenge. Lots of erase marks, no color, not proportionate, and I don't think I did the angle right. Or the hair. The picture I used as a reference had black hair with a black background so I had to guess. Anyway, here it is: 

 

image.thumb.png.69815d9f3e3e642a737201ac46220864.png

 

 

 

Awesome!  I like that you chose a more interesting angle instead of a straight-on portrait.

If you want advice with the specific things you mentioned (perspective, proportion, line quality) let me know (I'm not a doctor, just an intermediately practiced doodler).

  • Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
On 4/8/2020 at 2:44 AM, Waanie said:

@Bean Sidhe I really like your solution for the paperwork, it makes a large pile way more manageable :). I already see the applications in decluttering other things as well ;).

 

Thanks. I figured out a few years ago that I just don't have time for large massive "Clear all the things" projects. I started a couple years ago in the basement that had 2 walkways that  you had to walk sideways through. One went to food, one went to laundry. I made myself spend 5 minutes a day down there. Some days ti was really 2, some days 20, but it was something. And then suddenly, we had room for a treadmill, and an exercise area. I started using my challenges to say "Spend 5 minutes de cluttering/organizing room x"  and it helps. Sometimes it does take 2 or 3 challenges to finish an area, but overall, I can say its working. The paper was another one of those 5 minute things. If I spend even 2 minutes dealing with 2 pieces of paper, eventually that pile will go down.

And really, all the things in my challenges are usually a collection of "Things I can do in under 5 minutes because that is how much time I have."


 

  • Like 4

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post
On 4/8/2020 at 2:09 PM, fitnessgurl said:

What a great idea!

Thanks.
 

22 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Thank you! :D And that's a really good idea, I'll have to see how I can implement that into my routine.


Welcome. Honestly, I never really built stuff into my routines as I started. I would just find that 5 minutes that I had nothing going on and say "Okay, lets do this real fast"

  • Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post
5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

And really, all the things in my challenges are usually a collection of "Things I can do in under 5 minutes because that is how much time I have."

 I really like that tactic; my challenge is actually a 15-minute thing, but that's mostly because my motivation is low otherwise. It's amazing how much you can do in that time though :).

  • Like 2
Link to post
On 4/8/2020 at 11:27 PM, Jupiter said:

here is some bad anime art. Here's something I put lots of effort into, and while I know I can improve, it's still pretty good

FTFY.  It's like I tell me students, don't introduce something by insulting in, because a pedestrian like me looks that and goes, WELL FUCK, all I've got in my arsenal is a stick horse that my students have accused of having two rear ends.  I think it's pretty good (way better than I could EVER do at any rate)

  • Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines