Jupiter Makes Small Gains

Jupiter

On 4/8/2020 at 9:39 PM, Defining said:

Fixed it for you. ;) 

Aw, thank you! :) 

On 4/9/2020 at 5:56 PM, Harriet said:

Awesome!  I like that you chose a more interesting angle instead of a straight-on portrait.

If you want advice with the specific things you mentioned (perspective, proportion, line quality) let me know (I'm not a doctor, just an intermediately practiced doodler).

Thanks! And yeah, I'd love some advice. :) 

On 4/9/2020 at 6:17 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Welcome. Honestly, I never really built stuff into my routines as I started. I would just find that 5 minutes that I had nothing going on and say "Okay, lets do this real fast"

That's cool. Wish I could do that, LOL. If I don't plan for it, I forget about it, even if it's staring me in the face LOL. 

On 4/10/2020 at 7:01 AM, Novaurora said:

FTFY.  It's like I tell me students, don't introduce something by insulting in, because a pedestrian like me looks that and goes, WELL FUCK, all I've got in my arsenal is a stick horse that my students have accused of having two rear ends.  I think it's pretty good (way better than I could EVER do at any rate)

Thanks! :) Well, I mean, when you put it like that...LOL. I'm very much a perfectionist, so if it doesn't look exactly like the reference picture then I think it's awful (even though it probably isn't). I guess I need to learn to have more confidence in my art/work. 

• Like 1

I've been either so busy or tired or both that I can't remember what I did the last few days except for what I wrote down in my tracker. Our volume at work has officially tripled and it's just...Wow. I thought we were busy before, but this is a new level of busy (according to my boss, the busiest the company has ever been). And with continued technical issues (oh yeah, I forgot, the whole system went down I think on Thursday for like 3 hours, so that was fun), it is going to be interesting, to say the least. Anyway, I think I'll just do a quick recap for the week in lieu of separate posts for the days I missed:

Fitness: 

Yoga - 2x's

Strength training - 1x

Walking - 1x (I had to go out and find food/water yesterday so I ended up doing 25 minutes of walking, so I'm counting it)

Nutrition:

Fruit - 5 days (had between 1-2 servings each)

Vegetables - 5 days (also 1-2 servings each)

Intellectual:

Revisions - 5 days -- 2 pages each for 4 days, about 4 or 5 on 1 

Misc:

Reading - 3 days (4 if you count 1 day where I read for a half hour) -- that's 22/50 books for the year so far

Cooking - 3x's

Declutter - 1x

Drawing - Nope

Journal - 1x

All things considered, not bad. Onto this week. 

ETA: Oh, I forgot (see, I can't remember anything anymore) we had our monthly book club meeting via conference call this week, and it was fun. I didn't say much, but it was nice to do something social and just listen to people talk and be part of the conversation even if I didn't really say anything. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Thanks! And yeah, I'd love some advice. :) 

Alrighty. My thoughts on line quality and the proportion of the head/face:

Spoiler

To get better line quality, put away the eraser, forget about accuracy and proportion, and do hundreds of sketches where you focus on getting the main shapes down in as few lines as possible, making those lines strong and decisive. Probably none of them will make pretty finished pictures, (it’s just not possible to focus on accuracy AND line quality as a beginner) but that’s okay. You just need to get smooth confident lines into your muscle memory. Gesture sketches of figures are great for this. Then you’ll be better prepared for the next nice, fully finished picture you want to make (I feel like a lot of people ONLY want to make polished pictures. But a big proportion of your drawing should be about learning, not outcomes). Unfortunately I know of no shortcut :) I'm still working on combining line quality and accuracy, as you can see :D 

As to the proportions, I think you could make the chin shorter without taking away width, and then bring down the features. Think of the head as a ball with a jaw added. The jaw isn’t super deep—maybe one third of the ball size if you’re looking at a face straight on. If you can find a midline for the ball, that’s roughly where the brow goes. Hairline covers maybe a quarter or a third of the ball depending on the angle. Mouth is going to be in the jaw part if you’re looking straight on. (Obviously anime faces are a bit different, but not that different) Look up Loomis method for drawing heads if you’d like more details/better explanation. Otherwise, here’s a quick scribble to show what I mean.

1137174019_ballhead.thumb.jpg.eae88bdd5fd600608f0f9897e9f29682.jpg

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

40 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Alrighty. My thoughts on line quality and the proportion of the head/face:

Sweet, thanks so much!!! Guess I have a lot of practicing to do. :D Though putting away the eraser is going to be tough LOL.

Sunday's stats:

Fitness:

100% plan: 

- Strength training 3 sets on Mondays -- Rest day

- Yoga 20-30 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays 

10% plan:

- Strength training 5 minutes on Mondays

- Yoga 10 minutes on Wednesdays/Fridays

Nutrition:

100% plan: 

- Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day ✔️ 

- Eat 1 serving of veggies per week 

10% plan:

- Eat 1 serving of fruit per day  

Intellectual:

100% plan:

- Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day ✔️  -- Spent most of the day on this. Got through 7 or 8 pages, making changes based on my mentor's suggestions, and finished the chapter. Still need to go back through and clean it up, but I think it's much stronger than it was. 

10% plan:

- Revise half a page every day 

Miscellaneous goals:

- Read 1 hour a day -- Will do once I log off. 

- Cook 2-3 times a week ✔️ -- Cooked scrambled eggs and made some toast to go with it. Originally wanted pancakes but this is probably healthier LOL.

- Draw 10 minutes once a week ✔️

- De-clutter the junk room once a week

- Journal once a week 

Worked a couple of hours at the day job after finishing my chapter. Didn't do nearly as much as I should have, but still, better than nothing. Hope everyone had a Happy Easter (for those who celebrate). 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Rookie said:

Your anime drawing has a very sailor moon style to it! :)

Sorry I have been turrible keeping up with people this challenge.

Thanks! It's actually from a scene in one of the Sailor Moon movies, so you're spot on. :D 

And no worries, I understand. :) 

• Like 1

Monday/Tuesday stats:

Fitness:

100% plan: 

- Strength training 3 sets on Mondays ✔️ -- Workout A done. Decided to do 30 second planks instead of 20 for 3 sets. It was hard but got through it. Rest day today.

10% plan:

Nutrition:

100% plan: 

- Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day ✔️ -- 2 servings. 

- Eat 1 serving of veggies per week ✔️ 

10% plan:

Intellectual:

100% plan:

- Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day 

10% plan:

- Revise half a page every day ✔️ -- Haven't really done any revising the last 2 days, but I have come up with roughly 2 plot points for one of my newer projects. 

Miscellaneous goals:

- Read 1 hour a day ✔️ -- Finished another book. That makes 23/50 for the year. 

- Cook 2-3 times a week ✔️ -- Cooked popcorn chicken and vegetables yesterday. Quick and easy. 

- Draw 10 minutes once a week 

- Journal once a week 

Work is insane and stressful (hence why no revisions, though I really need to try to push through and get that done tomorrow). That's all I got. 

• Like 4
On 4/15/2020 at 5:27 AM, Rookie said:

Great progress :) I think you might need a bigger reader list if this stay at home thing carries on lol. 

Thanks! :) And yeah, LOL, maybe. Work is keeping me pretty busy, but we'll see how things go. 

Today was an "eat Nutella from a jar" day. Well, the last two days, but I finally broke down and grabbed the jar today. Work has been so insanely busy and so stressful, and I've just been totally drained by the end of the day and I haven't wanted to do anything. Then work made me mad today, which pushed me to do stuff. So, I had 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies, cooked something for dinner, and got through a few pages of revisions. Not bad all things considered. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Thanks! :) And yeah, LOL, maybe. Work is keeping me pretty busy, but we'll see how things go. 

Today was an "eat Nutella from a jar" day. Well, the last two days, but I finally broke down and grabbed the jar today. Work has been so insanely busy and so stressful, and I've just been totally drained by the end of the day and I haven't wanted to do anything. Then work made me mad today, which pushed me to do stuff. So, I had 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies, cooked something for dinner, and got through a few pages of revisions. Not bad all things considered. 

Awh I am sorry it was a hair pulling nutella jar eating day. But victory on your fruit, veggies, revision and a cooked dinner! Not bad for that sort of day ❤️ 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

23 hours ago, Jupiter said:

So, I had 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies, cooked something for dinner, and got through a few pages of revisions. Not bad all things considered. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

On 4/16/2020 at 8:17 PM, Jupiter said:

Work has been so insanely busy and so stressful, and I've just been totally drained by the end of the day and I haven't wanted to do anything. Then work made me mad today, which pushed me to do stuff. So, I had 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies, cooked something for dinner, and got through a few pages of revisions. Not bad all things considered. 

Sorry about the work stress, but greta job cooking & getting some plants in anyway!

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:26 AM, Rookie said:

Awh I am sorry it was a hair pulling nutella jar eating day. But victory on your fruit, veggies, revision and a cooked dinner! Not bad for that sort of day ❤️ 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:03 AM, Defining said:

636059006_download(22).gif.cbda45a6655742fd5c96a6681ecfd6e8.gif

On 4/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, Novaurora said:

giphy.gif

Thanks guys!! :) 

16 hours ago, Waanie said:

-hugs- I hope that your spoons will refill soon! 

Good job on the cooking and revising and all :).  Now you've made me wonder whether strawberries with nutella would be a good combination :lol:.

Thanks! :D Now I'm wondering too LOL. 

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sorry about the work stress, but greta job cooking & getting some plants in anyway!

Thanks! :) 

Thanks guys, you are all awesome. :) 

So, yesterday's stats. With all the stress from earlier in the week, by Friday I was pretty much done. I said no to rush files, no to new files, and tried to get through the backlog of things that I haven't been able to get to for days. I only got through about half of them though because I had some files I had to redo from Thursday because people changed their minds. So basically none of Friday's work got done, and I was just too tired to stress about it by that point. I left after 9 hours and didn't look back. Got in my yoga, 2 servings of vegetables and got through a few pages of revisions. 

On to today. Thought today would be nice and stress free and I could get stuff done, but then my dog got sick around 3am. And then 5am. And then 8am. I caught her the first time and rushed her out the door just in time. The second time I was not so successful. The third time I was up and she was thankfully already outside. Couldn't get her to eat or drink. Tried to get her to take a little bit of Pepto. Nope. Worried and watched her like a hawk all day, but she mostly slept until around dinnertime, when she finally started to perk up a bit. Got her to eat some food and drink lots of water. Crossing my fingers she doesn't get sick again. After that I had 1 serving of vegetables with dinner and managed to get through around 8 pages of revisions. I wanted to get through the whole second half of the chapter today but I'm not going to make it through the last 4 pages. I think I like it for the most part. There's still one piece I'm not sure about and I'm waiting on some advice from my mentor. But otherwise I think it's a strong chapter. Did not do yoga like I'd planned. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

So sorry to hear to hear your dog is sick! Hope they feel better soon. 

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I hope it's nothing serious and the pup gets better soon.

30 minutes ago, Rookie said:

How's the doggo???

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. She did okay from yesterday afternoon till about lunch time today when she threw up 3 times in like a half hour (stupid me, I thought she was feeling better so I let her have some cookies). She's not quite as lethargic as yesterday though and she's been drinking and trying to eat, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I found a can of chicken noodle soup in the mess that is my pantry so I'm going to give her some of the broth from that (and mix it with some water) a little later once her stomach's had time to settle a bit, and hopefully that will help. 

• Like 4

Late but, you rocked that 20 seconds of courage moment. The drawing looks good, considering all the flaws you see in it. Hope you take the squat advice :D

Maybe switch it up by doing some anything goes "modern abstract art" with all sorts of colors to refresh your palet & try again. 

For the rest I'm just cheering you on from the sidelines & also hoping your doggo gets better soon!

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Late but, you rocked that 20 seconds of courage moment. The drawing looks good, considering all the flaws you see in it. Hope you take the squat advice :D

Maybe switch it up by doing some anything goes "modern abstract art" with all sorts of colors to refresh your palet & try again. 

Thanks! :D Hmm maybe, we'll have to see. It depends how much time I have. 

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

For the rest I'm just cheering you on from the sidelines & also hoping your doggo gets better soon!

Thank you! :) 

Gave my dog half a can of chicken broth mixed with water at dinnertime and she devoured it, then she ate some of her regular food (which she has refused to touch for 2 days), so I think that's a good sign. Hopefully the soup will help settle her stomach and she'll start feeling better. She seems a little more lively now at least but we'll see how the next few hours go. Anyway, I did all the things today. Spent about half the day on this chapter. I think it's mostly finished, there's just one part that's still bothering me and I'm not sure how to fix it. I was hoping I'd be able to figure it out, but it's not coming to me, so I guess I'll wait for my mentor to respond to my email and see what she says. Cooked pancakes for lunch because I need to finish this box, and I made enough for breakfast for a couple of days. Did two loads of laundry. Cleaned. Had 1 serving of fruit. Meant to cook something decent for dinner too but I didn't quite make it. And now I'm worn out and all I want to do is read, so that's what I'm going to do for the rest of the evening while I keep an eye on my dog. 

• Like 5

Sounds like a night of down time was well in order! Hope the pup is feeling better and you're feeling more rested ❤️ 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, RedStone said:

Sounds like a night of down time was well in order! Hope the pup is feeling better and you're feeling more rested ❤️ 

Yeah, it definitely helped. And thanks. :) She threw up again at around 6 this morning, but she's been okay since then, at least so far, so I think she's getting better. 

Monday stats:

Fitness:

100% plan: 

- Strength training 3 sets on Mondays ✔️ -- Workout B done. Did all three sets. Switched things up and worked out after dinner instead of before and it was easier to get through. Still hard, but easier than it has been lately. 

10% plan:

Nutrition:

100% plan: 

- Eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day 

- Eat 1 serving of veggies per week ✔️ -- Only 1 serving. No fruit. Too busy tired-eating chocolate covered peanuts. Maybe need to adjust this goal since I've been eating vegetables more than once a week too. 

10% plan:

Intellectual:

100% plan:

- Revise 1 and a half to 2 pages every day 

10% plan:

- Revise half a page every day ✔️ -- Roughly half a page, maybe a little less. 

Miscellaneous goals:

- Read 1 hour a day ✔️ 

- Cook 2-3 times a week 

- Draw 10 minutes once a week 

- Journal once a week 

Slept kind of light last night because I wanted to be ready to rush my dog outside in case she needed to throw up, though I still missed it when she threw up this morning and had to clean it up. Still, overall, I think she's getting better. She only threw up once today and was excited for the chicken broth I gave her at lunch and dinner. She even gave me big sad puppy dog eyes when it was gone because she wanted more LOL. She is going to be so spoiled after this LOL. She ate more of her regular food too and she's been drinking lots of water. She even got pretty hyper this afternoon so I'd say she's on the mend, thank goodness. Work is also slowing down a bit finally, which is good because I was too tired today to go at my normal speed. I'm still way behind, but I'm not being constantly bombarded anymore at least so now I can try to catch up a little. 

• Like 3

So, Tuesday. Spoke too soon on the job front. The whole system crashed first thing this morning and it took a good half an hour to get back on. And then it was really slow for most of the day after that, so I only got about half of my work done, which means I'm even more behind now. Fun stuff. My dog is feeling much better though. No vomiting today, she ate all her regular food, and she's back to her usual silly, hyper self. I feel like I woke up every five minutes last night though because I'd hear her moving around and I'd think she was about to throw up. But thankfully now she seems to be fine. And I'm worn out LOL. Oh, I had another drawing I was going to post but the picture keeps showing up really huge and I'm not sure how to make it smaller. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

So, Tuesday. Spoke too soon on the job front. The whole system crashed first thing this morning and it took a good half an hour to get back on. And then it was really slow for most of the day after that, so I only got about half of my work done, which means I'm even more behind now. Fun stuff. My dog is feeling much better though. No vomiting today, she ate all her regular food, and she's back to her usual silly, hyper self. I feel like I woke up every five minutes last night though because I'd hear her moving around and I'd think she was about to throw up. But thankfully now she seems to be fine. And I'm worn out LOL.

It's good to hear the dog is better. Hopefully that means no more sleepless nights.

• Like 1