Jean devises a plan

Jean

Some insight on my desired end game:

I am searching recognition.

I want to be able to solve complex situations, and do so in my own way, without external controls other than the end result of the operation.

I want to feel useful and push this world forward.

If I try to picture myself in that role, I see people sitting around a table dropping their worries as they see me enter.

I see myself as a resource allocated to their project that they don't have to worry about.

I picture a deep assessment of the situation and immediate measures taken.

I see myself working on a computer, doing phone calls, visiting the necessary places and coming out with a solution.

The two main components of this situation are skills and respect. I want to build skills and want to be highly respected for them.

That means I have to build both of them.

I plan on being reliable -> I need to do proper assessments of what I can achieve in what amount of time and with what resources. Always be honest about it, don't ever give a deadline I know I won't be able to achieve, don't ever give a deadline if I don't know in what amount of time it can be done.

I plan on being skilled -> Take every opportunity I can to dig deeper into the topics I'm working on. Take everything as an experience. Ask questions. Build binders and an electronic library with important resources like laws, best practices, price lists, contact lists and examples.

In order to do that, I will:

Not ever lie

That means no "I can do this" if I can't, no "this can be done for this date" if it can't.

Metric: I shall report here every time I come up with a lie to get out of a given situation.

Give respect

Treat every person I'm interacting with as the most important person in my world at that precise moment.

Be available but master my agenda : let people know that I'm taking care of their requests but that I will group them in specific periods and will keep them updated when they get done.

Not be afraid to say "no". Saying "no" to the things I don't want to do or won't be able to perform is showing respect to the person asking them out of me: it's telling them what the reality is so that they can deal with it.

Give faithful assessments: if I think something is a bad idea, I will tell it and explain why I think it is. This doesn't prevent me from doing the thing if it is my job to do but I want to be honest about it.

Metric: to be determined.

Build skills

Build a database for useful documents, set up backups of it in order not to loose it.

Put together binders with useful documents.

Spend the mandatory time doing research whenever it is required by my assignment. Consolidate it by putting together a document with the useful information that will go into my binders and database.

Metric: daily question: have I consolidated my knowledge by putting what I've searched in a binder and my database? Yes/No.

April 12th

Ran for 20'.

Did a 1B Workout.

• Like 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

MWAHAHAHAHA! I'VE STILL GOT IT!*

giphy.gif

*Explanations will come in  due time.

April 14th

Ran for 20'.

Did a 1A workout.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, Jean said:

My impressive sample of 2 data points tells me that when I really don't want to go out running, I run better and more easily. ^^

Many samples. Much representative. Much wow :)

If I wake up in the morning, as planned, tomorrow (that's a big if), I plan on going for a small hike. I'll let you know if and how it went. Take care and stay safe.

Edit: I've just watched a video that made a good point that I had forgotten to apply: it's not a good time to take even small risks that can result in an hospitalized injury so the hike is canceled.

Hmmmm as in physical injuries or? Are your regular hike paths busy too?

At that you still got it:

Can't touch this na-nana-nana-nana

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

On 4/12/2020 at 10:08 PM, Jean said:

Not be afraid to say "no". Saying "no" to the things I don't want to do or won't be able to perform is showing respect to the person asking them out of me: it's telling them what the reality is so that they can deal with it.

Yupppp

This does not out of my brain curvatures, I read an article about how nowadays we too easily say "oh yeah let's meet up soon" or "yeah I'll get it done" without taking in account the hours in the day haha

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 11:42 AM, analoggirl said:

Hmmmm as in physical injuries or? Are your regular hike paths busy too?

Physical injuries: the path was near a cliff. While it'd have taken me merily taking a jump off the path to get seriously injured, it was still a risk. Since I've decide to try not to be a smartass if I can avoid it, even if the risk was low, I've prefered to avoid it.

And so, yesterday (Thursday) was crap. Looks like everybody had decided it was the day to call me and get their specific problem handled. I'm drained out of spoon and won't be worth much on Friday either so...

Thursday, April 16th

Didn't run.

Didn't work out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean said:

Physical injuries: the path was near a cliff. While it'd have taken me merily taking a jump off the path to get seriously injured, it was still a risk. Since I've decide to try not to be a smartass if I can avoid it, even if the risk was low, I've prefered to avoid it.

Serious injury is always a thing to avoid. I applaud your good judgement in this regard.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Yeah, about that... Friday has been Thursday 2.0. xD

Lot of phone calls, small things to handle. Remember when I wrote I LIKE dealing with small things? Turns out I like to be turned toward the future and really don't like having to deal with the legacies of the past that have been done the easy way, should have been known to be a source of problems in the future and are no more carried by the (very rich and influential) people who have made them.

Tomorrow is an awesome day (new laptop! I get to pimp it up, set it up and give it a test run!), I'll look forward to that while I sleep. :)

Also, I had things to do during lunch break (visiting an apartment) and was totally tired in the evening, so:

Friday, April 17th

Didn't run.

I'll do better tomorrow. :)

• Like 3

Yeah, no, love seems to be secondary, or tertiary, or... whatever in my order of priorities in life. xD It's too early to talk about this particular project but I'll keep you in touch when I can.

Thanks for checking in!

I've not been in a particularly good place mentally, lately. I really need some good, quiet time to rejuvenate and I've let myself be disrupted last weekend, so I'm kind of tanking through Friday evening. A lot is being done, but few running (my lunch break tend to go to other uses and I'm tired enough to be lazy in the evening. It speaks about my priorities: they're not in the right place if we consider my own interests only, though, as I wrote, things are getting done.

We'll see if I rebounce comes the weekend. There's still a lot of decluttering to do and I really liked where my body was going, shape-wise.

29 minutes ago, Jean said:

I've not been in a particularly good place mentally, lately. I really need some good, quiet time to rejuvenate

Sometimes you need to do that, and there is nothing wrong with that. It took me forever, but I have learned to see my days of bad mental health as just another form of injury. If my ankle is hurt, I stop doing what hurts it, I give it time to heal, and I rehabilitate the muscles around the joint as needed. Mental setbacks need the same level of understanding and adaptation, to help our brains get back to where they need to be.

If you need to find yourself quiet time for mental healing, then do what you need to do to make that happen. 

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

51 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

then do what you need to do to make that happen

That's the actual hard part. I feel that either your circumstances give you "me time" or you have to create it and protect it but protecting it takes energy to do so. I've not yet found a way to build up my batteries while under assault. Hence why I'm waiting for the weekend because nobody can tell me anything if I shut down my phone in the weekend and don't meet with anybody (while my professional phone has to stay on during work hours and the evening isn't enough for me to really charge up).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jean said:

That's the actual hard part. I feel that either your circumstances give you "me time" or you have to create it and protect it but protecting it takes energy to do so. I've not yet found a way to build up my batteries while under assault.

That is definitely the biggest challenge, especially if you are in a situation where your days take more energy than you realistically can recover in the evening.

I approached that by trying various different ways of recovering energy, until I found one that was efficient enough it gave me enough of a recharge to tie me over until the weekend, but what worked for me is of course not guaranteed to work for anyone else. I have noticed through the years that, for example, going to the gym to lift barbells gives me more mental energy than sitting on the couch and watching a movie. After tracking a few different things like that, I have been able to put together a short list of activities for when I really need an energy boost.

Good luck with the recharging!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I have been able to put together a short list of activities for when I really need an energy boost.

I am gladly taking all and any suggestion you are able to give. Running and small workouts usually work but I tend to sacrifice them too easily (a big priority would be learning to protect my time). Power naps help but don't really cut it enough. Other things are just keeping my mind busy overall so don't help much. I'll have to think about it.

For me personally, an important part of recharging is aimed at keeping the pyromancy from going wild (=anxiety management). For this I need physical activity and sunlight, and I need meditation to relax the brain. I can combine all three by going for a walk during the day, and try to do so every work day.

I also make sure I meditate regularly, at a minimum of once every day.

I have also found, to absolutely no one's surprise, that getting down on the floor and actively playing with a pet is one of the most energy-restoring activities in the world. :) 

• Thanks 1

Something I have to address: I like to start the day prepared, as in, I like to start my work day at 6:30am knowing the deadlines of the day will be reached (so having my stuff ready and almost already done). When I have a (video)meeting in the morning, like today, I seem to want to push it even further and have everything done by 6:30am (which is before I even can register hours for my job). Then, at the end of the day, I get tired and fail to properly prepare the stuff for the next day, so I want to wake up earlier the day after to make sure everything is in order for 6:30am...

Why can't I feel secure about my job being done? I mean, I know the things that must be done will be done and I know that not all can be done and that what doesn't matter that much will get delayed. I do get some pressure from people above me to reach some arbitrary (short) deadlines on not critical stuff that I would have delayed otherwise and it's these deadlines that are currently stressing me so I guess handling pressure is my problem.

Now to find a solution to that.

ETA: Thinking a bit more about it; people can ask things from me and the mere fact that they ask makes me nervous and stressed even though I can still give it the answer I want (ignoring it, explaining why it's not the right order to do things and how we can reply telling that we'll get back to them shortly but can't have all the data they want in the short time frame they give us and so on). So I need to work on my answers to people who ask things and grow a backbone. Strangely enough, when I'm the one involved (I have to carry a problem to its end without answering to anybody but dealing with third parties who have requests), this is not a problem at all. So this is a problem of dealing with hierarchy and explaining the stuff I do and how to deal with unreasonably timed requests.

Still gotta crush this one into something actionable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean said:

the mere fact that they ask makes me nervous and stressed

5 hours ago, Jean said:

So I need to work on my answers to people who ask things and grow a backbone.

Personally working on this as well. (And even further: in stressed situations my brain is constantly thinking of what PEOPLE MIGHT ASK, interrupting my flow, making me want to become a hermit because trees only say nice things right?

So by the time they DO ask I have wound myself up. Very efficient, super efficient energy expenditure (not).

I DO emit a battle cry and then get shit done. And my stress resilience been going up with the years. But still. Annyoing.)

I guess, even more important than time management is energy management.

With regards to growing a back bone: when i manage to apply it, it is helpful to imagine someone's "requests" like a move in martial arts where you then respond to by using their own momentum "against them".

Aka being like water. Flow through the cracks, crash on the rock but redistribute and take your next form.

Not that you are actually doing that with words,

But you are responding in kind. They lack the foresight to let you do your job, so then you respond with your answer without letting their asking get to you. It is a matter of accepting that people will ask to prod.

Partially because they are USED TO having to ask repeatedly, partially because they keep forgetting WHY YOU HAVE BEEN TELLING WHY THEM THIS HAD TO WAIT every week since three months ago. 😅

Insert gif with a basketball player catching the ball on the upper side of his hand and letting it roll over his back. 

Eh, I know it is abstract but I am sharing if it might help.

Do you get that stress spike when you are working down a seemingly neverending number of foes? Imagine those requests as goblins. Sometimes you want to save time and just run away from the horde because there are better quests to finish, sometimes you've got to face it.

That's all I've got to share from the sideline. Rooting for you!

• Thanks 1

These two go hand in hand:

Linkin Park - Easier to Run

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit

This boy has spent the last weeks hiding in a cave since the Hydra roared its hugly heads.*

*Borrowing the imagery to @Scalyfreak with kind regards and without previous consent.

But unless the danger is in my head (which it very well might be), hiding in a cave won't make it disappear. Time to grow up.

Be kind, not nice.

So here's the plan:

Physical

• Run every day for 4*4', walk for 1 minute in between.
  • Practice a few tai-chi moves after the run.
  • Practice the Academy bodyweight progression every other day (currently 1A/1B).

Life

• Brush my teeth every day.
  • Turn off the computer and the lights before going to bed.

Finances

• Keep saving.
  • Invest according to my IPS.

Life skills

• Go for a hike at least once a month.
  • Sleep outside at least once a week. This will be reassessed comes the Winter.
  • Spend a week bivouaking during the year.
  • Find good containers for "survival rations" -> hone my "survival rations" formula -> start building up supplies. // Survival rations include food, essentials and chemicals/drugs.
  • Learn about medical herbs.
  • Learn about the constellations.
  • Start fishing.

Dreams

• Keep building toward the Tavern (currently: grow money, stay aware of opportunities).
  • Discuss business opportunities with University Friend and Confident regarding organizing hikes for groups.
  • Stay aware of real estate opportunities that would have me feel truly at home.
  • Build my website. 1) Revamp the design in a sober "no-nonsense" way. 2) Create a framework for putting my thoughts on it. 3) Update with thoughts.

Work

• Be reliable. Never ever again say I'll do something I know can't be done.
  • Be organized. Build a database of every useful document I might want to use again at a later point in time.

Now to set this all into motion. Thanks for having been there for these slices of putting my thoughts together and keep on rocking! See you on the next step of the journey. :)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

25 minutes ago, Jean said:

Be kind, not nice.

I love this. This is such an important distinction, and it makes a huge difference.

I like that you've grabbed the Hydra as your boss fight monster. One of the reasons the Hydra was the personification of the most stressful challenges I dealt with last year, aside from the many heads that grow back after you defeat them, is that the original Hydra in the old Greek myth, wasn't actually possible for Herakles to defeat. He just couldn't do it, no matter what he tried... until he asked his best friend for help. That part of the story doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should, and I firmly believe it applies to our metaphorical hydras as well. Every nerd knows it's dangerous to go alone, right? :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Scalyfreak said:

I love this.

I might remember it wrong but didn't it come from you too? (Appologies to the one who brought it if it wasn't you.)

I didn't know/remember the part about Herakles needing a friend to defeat the Hydra, this gives it an additional meaning indeed. I've taken it because it has this feeling of being the beast that has you frozen in indecision, not knowing where to start. It breeds procrastination in me. It's that Thing I don't want to fight, that piece of the world I'd wish would go away, because it isn't fair and I shouldn't have to deal with "not fair". But I do, we all do. Things go away because they're tackled. People stop trying to take advantage of us because we stand for ourselves. I can't act all feeble and let everyone get a piece of me and wish they'd leave me alone, that's just not how it works.

Yet, I still have this feeling that with time, and wealth, I'll build up a situation where I'll be inherently protected from the things I dread today (for example, buying my own home should protect me from paranoïac self-centered landlords. It won't solve the deeper problem of me letting others walk all over me, though, unless I do go and live in a more or less remote place where people would truly leave me alone).

I really do like your imagery, there's a lot to take in it to get a better grasp on our fights. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean said:

I might remember it wrong but didn't it come from you too? (Appologies to the one who brought it if it wasn't you.)

It might have, it's a personal motto of mine, and one of the best pieces of advise I have ever been given. One of my parents once told me that I should not aspire to be a "good girl" or a "nice girl" because those goals are all about becoming a person who pleases others. Someone who is always trying their best to be as nice as possible, especially a young female someone, is also someone who will be taken advantage of and pushed around. This confused my young self, who responded, "But you always say I should be nicer to people, and now you tell me not to try to be nice. Are you going senile or something?" (I was a teenager, cut me some slack. 😛 )

And my parent laughed and said, "No. You shouldn't try to be a nice person, you should try to be a good person. A good person treats others nicely, but that is different from being nice."

There's an added dimension in the original myth in that Herakles did not need to be told or prodded in any way to ask for help. He observed that when he removed one head, two grew back in its place, and concluded that he would not be able to stop that on his own. So he solicited help from his friend, who joined the battle wielding a torch, and the friend would use the flame to cauterize the neck immediately after a head was removed, which stopped the heads from growing back. So even though Herakles had help, he still did the majority of the fighting... which makes this a remarkably poignant analogy when it comes to the challenges we deal with in our lives.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

4 hours ago, Jean said:

Sleep outside at least once a week. This will be reassessed comes the Winter.

This makes me so happy! :D  When's going to be your first night? I was thinking I'll take my sleeping bag and mat out tomorrow night. Just going to double check the weather first 💤 🌙 

• Like 2